PDA

View Full Version : Worth Getting Adaptive Suspension?

GolfAtom
17-06-2009, 12:29 PM
G'day,

Is it worth getting the adaptive suspension of the Golf? I was quite happy with the standard sprung one on my test ride. The steering could be better though, it did not give me much feedback of the road.

Cheers,
Alan

GoLfMan
17-06-2009, 12:48 PM
dont bother, if your that keen on that gimmic then yeh, otherwise aftermarket suspension is the way to go

windyzz
17-06-2009, 12:50 PM
Yes! Definitely worth it.
I did a test drive 2 weeks ago, I could surely feel the different between 'sport' and 'comfort' mode.
Setting into 'Sport' mode will gave a slightly better thortle response, better steering feel, and firmer ride.

Transporter
17-06-2009, 04:31 PM
I would hate to pay for the new shockers/struts when the time comes to replace them. :eek:

phaeton
17-06-2009, 04:47 PM
I'd suggest you test drive a Golf with the ACC already fitted an play around with the different settings and see if you notice any difference compared to one without ACC.

If you like the ACC and can afford is then buy it otherwise use the money to buy different wheel or other accessories to distinguish 'your' Golf.

Guy_H
17-06-2009, 05:09 PM
yes, for the money its a pretty damn good option!

GolfAtom
18-06-2009, 07:10 AM
Thanks for the replies...
Will line up the saleman for test drive in one

Cheers,
Alan

philthy
18-06-2009, 07:04 PM
yes, for the money its a pretty damn good option!

There's a guy on golfmk6 with a TDI with ACC and 50mm H&R's and apparently the adjustable dampers work quite well with the dumped springs. (see picture thread)

Hmmm.. possibilities

Greg Roles
18-06-2009, 07:18 PM
To me it's one of the major upgrades of the MK6!

cktsi
28-01-2010, 05:38 PM
today i got a loan mk6 tdi with acc. Initial impression is the ride in normal or comfort is more comfy than the sport oriented 118tsi. Sports mode is firmer so handling should be superior. Yet to test out for sure.

I think if you are open to spending money on it but still unsure its worthwhile. The comfort is really good on great north road in sydney(five dock to drumoyne)

alphabeatsco
28-01-2010, 05:51 PM
i would say don't get it.
i chose not to add it to my GTI.
simply cos when the shocks die, you don't want ot purchase another set of OEM from VW, cause it will be very expensive. You could simply buy a set of coilovers, which will be more suited for stiffen suspension.

BUT if you only want a slight upgrade to the suspension, and don't care much about money then ACC could be great improvement.

iBoost
28-01-2010, 07:06 PM
I also chose not go with the ACC as the car I test drove did not have it fitted and I found it was fine as is. Down the track if I change wheels/suspension it would probably negate the benefits of the ACC anyway.

For me it's not about the comfort factor, and more about the performance/handling. As above, I found the non ACC GTI I drove was great, and if I wanted better handling down the track I'd spend the $1500 I saved on better springs or towards a proper coil over setup.

Best thing to do if you're on the fence is to try and have a drive of one and see if it's right for you.

noowve
28-01-2010, 07:29 PM
I also chose not go with the ACC as the car I test drove did not have it fitted and I found it was fine as is. Down the track if I change wheels/suspension it would probably negate the benefits of the ACC anyway.

For me it's not about the comfort factor, and more about the performance/handling. As above, I found the non ACC GTI I drove was great, and if I wanted better handling down the track I'd spend the $1500 I saved on better springs or towards a proper coil over setup.

Best thing to do if you're on the fence is to try and have a drive of one and see if it's right for you.

Hi iBoost, i am actually looking to put a deposit down end of Feb and one of the thing i am looking for is the ACC, as i have came across many DON'T GET it kind thing, did you test drive your MK6 with the 18" Detroit Wheels on ? more so when i am considering the ACC is because i felt that the steering feel was heavy, your typical German built car unlike Japanese cars.. Correct me if i am wrong. That's the whole reason why i'd considered ACC.

prise
28-01-2010, 07:46 PM
I drove both and my heart said 'tick that options box', but my head said I'd probably leave it in normal model most of the time and when the shockers get old its going to cost a truckload. It was a cool gadget though and if I drove regularly on bad roads I might have picked it for the ride comfort. It was a close decision.

It sounds like you have a legitimate excuse to go for another test drive:cool:

iBoost
28-01-2010, 09:05 PM
Hi iBoost, i am actually looking to put a deposit down end of Feb and one of the thing i am looking for is the ACC, as i have came across many DON'T GET it kind thing, did you test drive your MK6 with the 18" Detroit Wheels on ? more so when i am considering the ACC is because i felt that the steering feel was heavy, your typical German built car unlike Japanese cars.. Correct me if i am wrong. That's the whole reason why i'd considered ACC.

No, the car I drove had the standard 17s on it, without ACC. The suspension felt fairly firm to me and there was not much body roll in the corners I was able to take it through during the test drive.

It depends on what you are used to I guess. 18s on the GTI doesn't worry me one bit in terms of ride quality. In the past I've had a 200sx on coil overs with 18s, and lowered 3 MPS, so ride quality is something of a personal thing.

I have specified the 18s on my GTI and no ACC. The first handling mod I plan on doing is a Whiteline sway bar and leave it at that for the time being. Down the track I may lower it or put coil overs on, but I'm trying to leave this one fairly drivable or the wife won't be happy. ;)

It's really up to you mate, personally I think ACC is more geared towards those who want a comfier ride than those who want a sportier ride. The ones who are really serious about getting maximum handling will end up going for lowered springs/coil overs anyway.

cktsi
28-01-2010, 09:12 PM
It's really up to you mate, personally I think ACC is more geared towards those who want a comfier ride than those who want a sportier ride. The ones who are really serious about getting maximum handling will end up going for lowered springs/coil overs anyway.

Having driven the ACC equipped loaner a little more, I'd have to say that's a fair assessment :thumbsup:

noowve
28-01-2010, 10:24 PM
No, the car I drove had the standard 17s on it, without ACC. The suspension felt fairly firm to me and there was not much body roll in the corners I was able to take it through during the test drive.

It depends on what you are used to I guess. 18s on the GTI doesn't worry me one bit in terms of ride quality. In the past I've had a 200sx on coil overs with 18s, and lowered 3 MPS, so ride quality is something of a personal thing.

I have specified the 18s on my GTI and no ACC. The first handling mod I plan on doing is a Whiteline sway bar and leave it at that for the time being. Down the track I may lower it or put coil overs on, but I'm trying to leave this one fairly drivable or the wife won't be happy. ;)

It's really up to you mate, personally I think ACC is more geared towards those who want a comfier ride than those who want a sportier ride. The
ones who are really serious about getting maximum handling will end up going for lowered springs/coil overs anyway.

thanks for the info iboost, can i also check with you, does that mean without the ACC installed, the springs are already hard as it is, more so i am definitely going for the 18" detroit wheels, am i correct, ? with ACC installed it's merely taking the hard ride out of the equation and it becomes lighter feel on both the steering and springs/suspension.

iBoost
29-01-2010, 06:48 AM
I found the ride in the non ACC GTI to be firm and sporty but not bone jarring. I found it was fine for me, with the 18s I anticipate it to be a bit firmer still.

The ACC has three modes, normal, comfort and sport. Sport firms up the suspension further and also reportedly adjusts the steering for a weightier feel.

What I couldn't get out of the dealer was where in the spectrum the non ACC car sits. I assume it would be about equivalent to normal or slightly between that and sport.

Keep in mind the GTI is already lowered on sports suspension by 22 mm at the rear and 15 mm at the front.

Hope this helps...

cktsi
29-01-2010, 07:32 AM
I can't comment on coilovers and other suspension mods; nor the standard suspension on the mark 6 GTI, so my observations are only good for a stock mk6 comfortline but...

WOW!!!

I was in sports mode hooning through the chicane I drive through every day (twice a day) and the thing is as agile as a cat! I waited till the car in front more than cleared... then floored it and probably drove through at...er... let's just say briskly without incriminating myself ;-)

The steering was very direct & very responsive which reminded me of the SP25... only this is way better. And it's much sharper than stock comfortline. There was no roll and the car felt altogether different than stock comfortline when pushed hard.

I was so impressed I had a huge smile on my dial !! :D I can appreciate the harder, sportier setup and why people bother to upgrade.

In normal suburban driving (in wet weather) I can't pick much between the two but in the dry & pushing it, the differences start to show.

I'd say comfort is softer than stock comfortline, sport is way harder. Didn't really try out normal, but it tends towards comfort.

If they still haven't finished with my car today, I may get to explore more of Normal over the weekend.

MurphyTheElf
29-01-2010, 09:57 AM
I drive in Sport mode all the time. I prefer the performance benefits, and the ride isn't particularly harsh. The lady drives in Comfort most of the time, but doesn't whinge when she's in the passenger seat when I drive in Sport.

Speaking of performance, I continue to be amazed. Yesterday, I approached a 90 degree negative camber corner with a 6 (ish) metre radius at about 60kmh, and gave the accelerator a prod at the apex. I almost hit the inside kerb! It's such a point and shoot little machine.

jamesatfish
29-01-2010, 11:12 AM
Not specific to the GTI, but in general terms I'd only spring for ACC if the car will be shared with another driver or used for two greatly different scenarios.

My 4WD has adjustable springs and on that car they're brilliant, because we drive it in Comfort when our baby is on board and can switch to Sport when I take it to the track, so our enjoyment of the car is improved by being able to adapt the suspension to those different uses.

I've got fully adjustable Bilsteins on my Polo, but as I'm really the only person to drive it and I like the firm ride I've never actually adjusted them - they're just set on fully hard and left that way.

If you're going to be the only driver of the GTI and you don't have a family I wouldn't worry about the ACC. If you want a firmer ride on the standard springs then spend a fraction of the cost of the ACC to tune the suspension to your particular liking, and leave it as such.

If you have a family (such that you like the Sport setting when driving by yourself but Comfort with the kids in tow) then the ACC will be worth its weight in gold (and spousal approval).

gtimal
29-01-2010, 02:47 PM
What ever you do don't turn a great car thats fun to drive into one thats a PITA on long hauls .If I was looking at club racing coils overs might have been my choice .
Ordered mine with ACC .

Cheers