PDA

View Full Version : Any NSW Tig owners interested in a soft-road run?

Arctra
17-06-2009, 10:16 AM
Seeing as the Tig is a soft-roader I am keen on doing a little off-road driving. Not heavy 4x4'ing as I have no such experience, but some firebreak and light-ish off-roading is appealing.

Reading up this post it seems Yalwal wouldn't be a bad idea: http://www.4wdmonthly.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=68374#post882483

Hey mate, Yalwal is probably your best bet (well, in that area anyway).

One of my favourite little tracks to enter the area is by turning off west immediately south of the motorcross track, at a 4 way intersection (Yerriyong Vale Road). Continue along for about 5 kays before turning right onto a marked fire trail. Its given a number. The track should cross a dry creek bed about 200m from the dirt road and then climb a very steep hill another 300m further along. You will eventually come out at a clearing under some power lines. Follow them south down the slope and you will come out at Deans Gap Road. From here you can turn right then left (for Yalwal), left then right (there should be an open gate at this turnoff for Wombat Flat and meet up with the Monkey Gum Fire Trail, which starts out being called Mintbrush track and , Wombat Flat Road and Blackwood Road according to google maps) or left then left to follow the powerlines further south.

Last time I was there (Nov 08 ) you could still access Wombat Flat (via Deans Gap Road) and come out on the Braidwood Road via Monkey Gum Fire Trail. There are some interesting tracks around the flat although Monkey Gum isnt all the challenging.

I also read somewhere recently that Yarramunmun Fire Trail was open again (gates unlocked) as the rangers got sick of everyone trying to go around the gates. If this is true I would doubt the trail itself would be as fun as it used to be.

The Old Burrier Fire Trail which links Yalwal Road with the Coolendel Road can be fun, depending on when it last saw a grader, but when I did it in November there was no challenge there.

12 Mile Road is a fire trail that runs south from braidwood road and ends at a lookout overlooking Lake Conjola.

Just look at google maps to see the tracks I am talking about. They are the only ones that are open (many others shown on google maps but most are closed).

I am probably not being very clear but good luck. plenty of tracks to explore down there, the powerlines option is probably the best guarantee for a challenge.

Would any Tig/Toureg owners be interested in doing a run to Yalwal? Any of you already done it and have suggestions and estimates on how long it'd take?

Transporter
17-06-2009, 12:22 PM
Post it also in Au Touareg Forum,
http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f67/

qsilverza
17-06-2009, 01:05 PM
I'll come with my Bora :) Once we saw a toyota celica at the top of Dargo... that was insane !

If you were in melb I could borrow my dads pajero

Pullstarter
17-06-2009, 06:52 PM
Yalwal is a very good area for that sort of driving. Used to ride moto-x bikes there and there's plenty of trails big enough for a Tig. Most of em are pretty smooth too :)