PDA

View Full Version : VW bora V6 4motion - engine problem

sim2002
02-01-2007, 12:34 PM
Hi everyone,

new to the forum and new to VW!

Im having first problem with my Bora V6 and if any body can tell me the problem with the car.
(difficult to explain but car sounds and feels lumpy around 2000rpm, the engine not revving smooth as previously (even steering feels bumpy around 2000rpm then disappears)- different noise coming from muffler too in lower revs - i think some power has also been lost in acceleration.)
no engine warning light has come on and the car is still running - no stalling)
also feels very slightly when driving there is slight urging in engine when driving along about 25oorpm?
all
basically feels like a cylinder has gone?

can anybody help me out?

thanks,
simon

brackie
02-01-2007, 03:52 PM
Weclome to our forum! Lots of knowledgeable people here (and some with VAGCOM ;) ) Might save you a lot of time and money.

Tim
02-01-2007, 04:00 PM
ud know if u were running on 5 cyls.
I was the other day when i forgot to put one of my plugs back onto the coil. The car makes a real farty noise instead of the sweet vr6 noise as u try and accelerate. and u lose a LOT of power. Still quicker than a 4cyl tho :P
But yeah. where abouts are u? maybe a quick vag-com scan could unearth something.

sim2002
02-01-2007, 04:10 PM
cool! thanks for the welcome!

what is this vag-com scan?

yeah tim does have that 'farty noise instead of smooth pur'

im located inner sydney

Tim
02-01-2007, 04:19 PM
its a small device that allows you to read fault codes from the cars computer.
If its making that noise id check all of your leads are seated nicely on the coilpack.
i once also got a similar thing with my car when i had a cracked lead. and the spark was escaping and arcing onto the cylinder head. If u rev the car in the dark any sparks that are leaking should show up.

Bug_racer
02-01-2007, 06:26 PM
late VR6's run coilpacks

h100vw
02-01-2007, 07:58 PM
It'd be a good idea to put your location in with your name so we may be able to direct you to someone locally who might be able to help.

vag-com can be read about on www.ross-tech.com

I am thinking not a coilpack as it isn't throwing a checklight on.

Gavin

Bora Sport
02-01-2007, 08:14 PM
Hi everyone,

Im having first problem with my Bora V6 and if any body can tell me the problem with the car.
(difficult to explain but car sounds and feels lumpy around 2000rpm, the engine not revving smooth as previously (even steering feels bumpy around 2000rpm then disappears)- different noise coming from muffler too in lower revs - i think some power has also been lost in acceleration.)
also feels very slightly when driving there is slight urging in engine when driving along about 25oorpm?
all

can anybody help me out?

thanks,
simon
I had a problem with the MAF (air fow sensor) on mine. It would play up especially when cold. It would miss and generally run below par but was OK under full acceleration when warm. The people in the know tell me that if you disconnect the MAF and the car runs better then its a fairly sure sign that it is buggered.

It took the local VW stealer about 3 visits and quite a few dollars, new temp sensor (no difference), new spark plugs (the same) and eventually diagnosed it as the MAF.

BTW they tried to charge $850.00 for a new one but luckily at the time I had a friend in the UK who e-mailed me a parts quote from Breeze VW that worked out to around AU$250.00. They do them exchange over there and would refund you around AU$50.00 off the $250.00 if you give them the old one. When confronted with that the dealer replaced it for $330.00!!!

Don't know if this will help.

Tony

Bug_racer
02-01-2007, 09:26 PM
I am thinking not a coilpack as it isn't throwing a checklight on.

Gavin

Most of the single coil pack cars with DBW have fault codes for coil pack misfires

h100vw
02-01-2007, 10:41 PM
Most of the single coil pack cars with DBW have fault codes for coil pack misfires
With or without getting a check Seb?

Bug_racer
03-01-2007, 12:55 AM
Usually no check engine light

sim2002
03-01-2007, 09:08 AM
thanks for reply! i will have to take it to VW dealer this week problem still there (just a little baffled why a problem would start up in the engine and no engine light coming on.?)
can anyone recommend a place for me to take car in inner sydney and have looked at (and knows these cars) apart from VW dealer??
im located CBD of sydney.

thanks

- how often do you guys have meet ups or cruises (if any)?

gpk_gti
03-01-2007, 09:38 AM
thanks for reply! i will have to take it to VW dealer this week problem still there (just a little baffled why a problem would start up in the engine and no engine light coming on.?)
can anyone recommend a place for me to take car in inner sydney and have looked at (and knows these cars) apart from VW dealer??
im located CBD of sydney.

thanks

- how often do you guys have meet ups or cruises (if any)?
hey mate,
we are meeting up on sunday 21st.look for the details under meetings/club events.if you have any trouble finding it, message me:)

sim2002
08-01-2007, 08:42 AM
Hi everyone,

all

can anybody help me out?

thanks,
simon

Hey,

just let everyone know on what problem was with my car:

was running on 2 cyl., the MAF has died?, oxygen sensor needs replacing, coilpacks gone, spark plugs fowled and need another throttle body?? (this is what mechanic told me) and just to top it off when i got to mechanic the driver window just crunched and died??

im just wondwering what could cause such problems??

always used premium fuel never thrashed car always been serviced!?

anyhow there you go!

Bug_racer
08-01-2007, 09:46 AM
If the car still starts and runs I call bullshait .

If the MAF , Throttle body and lambda probe are dead there is no engine to ecu inputs . How much fuel / timing does the ecu give if all it has is a crank angle sensor to tell it the position of the crank to the cams the coolant temperature and the outside air temp !!!!

syncro
08-01-2007, 10:19 AM
And people wonder why I have no respect for mechanics:mad:
(Most of them anyway)

Seb this is why you're not a millionaire yet. You need to be more ruthlessn:

sim2002
08-01-2007, 12:24 PM
If the car still starts and runs I call bullshait .

If the MAF , Throttle body and lambda probe are dead there is no engine to ecu inputs . How much fuel / timing does the ecu give if all it has is a crank angle sensor to tell it the position of the crank to the cams the coolant temperature and the outside air temp !!!!

ok! the car does run (roughly)and starts normally! however the mechanic said should not drive anymore till fixed??beacuse of quoted problems?? he said he put it on the vag-scan. how are we suppose to believe??getting that feeling im getting done over?!

you think i can make it to girraween in it?

syncro
08-01-2007, 05:06 PM
you think i can make it to girraween in it?

Push it if you have to.

mikinoz
08-01-2007, 05:17 PM
I call hijinks also - take it to seb on a flat tray and it would still be cheaper!

Good luck!

syncro
08-01-2007, 05:21 PM
I call hijinks also - take it to seb on a flat tray and it would still be cheaper!

Good luck!

You could probably buy a flatbed..............

Langers
17-01-2007, 07:12 PM
Hey,

just let everyone know on what problem was with my car:

was running on 2 cyl., the MAF has died?, oxygen sensor needs replacing, coilpacks gone, spark plugs fowled and need another throttle body?? (this is what mechanic told me) and just to top it off when i got to mechanic the driver window just crunched and died??

im just wondwering what could cause such problems??

always used premium fuel never thrashed car always been serviced!?

anyhow there you go!

I have to call BS on that. Way too many problems occuring simulateously.

Who is your mechanic?

02 sensors, MAFS and coilpacks are common problems, but you'd have to have incredibly bad luck for them to all go out at the same time!

See if you can get it out to Seb somehow, even if it's on a flatbed.

sim2002
18-01-2007, 01:00 PM
mechanic told me if drive anymore - will kill the engine? so who do you believe, anyhow job has been done and im out $3300 :mad: not impressed

Tim
18-01-2007, 01:26 PM
ouch! mechanics certainly do have you by the short and curlies sometimes dont they. They are the experts and we are forced to trust them. Hopefully they dont take advantage of us toooo often.

sim2002
18-01-2007, 03:09 PM
yeah hope so! as long as no more problems

Andy-4Motion
18-01-2007, 03:10 PM
Hope its all smooth running from here on out !

brackie
18-01-2007, 04:00 PM
If you can't diagnose a fault by using your experience and 5 senses, then it's a process of elimination. This is a scientific rationale whereby one variable is tested at a time. If your "mechanic" simply replaces everything that could be wrong, find a new mechanic. No, they don't have you by the short and curlies because there are lots and lots of good workshops out there if you're prepared to spend the time shopping around. We're lucky on this forum because we have some very experienced and knowledgeable members who have VW workshops and will always look after our users by doing the right thing. Go to one of them ;)

Langers
18-01-2007, 04:29 PM
Fark me dead you got ripped off. :(

Find a new mechanic.

gpk_gti
18-01-2007, 04:58 PM
aarrrggghhhh!!!! SIMON!!! you should have taken where I said!! I had same prob early last year.maf died.cost me $780 to fix. doubt is was your coilpacks too. you got ripped.did you take back your old parts???

sim2002
19-01-2007, 08:24 AM
aarrrggghhhh!!!! SIMON!!! you should have taken where I said!! I had same prob early last year.maf died.cost me $780 to fix. doubt is was your coilpacks too. you got ripped.did you take back your old parts???

ah no! will ask today - learnt my lesson

gpk_gti
19-01-2007, 08:29 AM
you coming sunday?

007bora
16-04-2011, 07:10 PM
Hey guys im new to this forum and i have the same problem as Sim, what ended up being the problem? how did you fix it? i love my 4mo but its costing me too much.
Thanks, Danny

h100vw
16-04-2011, 07:35 PM
Danny, the possibilities, whilst not endless, could be numerous. Far better not to speculate, have it scanned for faults. Either by someone on the forum or a VW independent. Post the results and we can go from there.

Gavin

007bora
23-04-2011, 12:19 PM
i replaced all the coil packs and spark plugs and its been running perfect, cost me 800 but im happy its running. hopefully nothing else goes wrong.

jaywa
14-11-2011, 08:00 PM
A problem these cars tend to have is the coil packs. May not be them but they have been known to be temprimental