PDA

View Full Version : News: Volkswagen Australia has yet to decide whether to import the Golf GTD

windyzz
15-06-2009, 02:13 PM
http://www.barloworldvolkswagen.com.au/news/?mga_story=3A44DBA894CD77C7CA2575D10082B085&mga_category=future&mga_make=Volkswagen

STV4SYT
15-06-2009, 06:26 PM
That is a shame, though hopefully it will help out the resale values of any GT TDI's still floating around.

Lima
15-06-2009, 09:58 PM
I'm getting a bit sick and tired of the "oh poor us it will impact on GTI sales" excuse. What a load of crap!

Just bring the GTD here. :duh:

windyzz
15-06-2009, 10:51 PM
I'm getting a bit sick and tired of the "oh poor us it will impact on GTI sales" excuse. What a load of crap!

Just bring the GTD here. :duh:

Yeah Agree! SO much excuses. We are so unlucky here in term of German cars.

Very disappointing. VW will look/sound much better with Scirroco and GTD included in their model line.

Greg Roles
16-06-2009, 09:19 AM
I think it's more the fact they are watching their bottom line, and figure it isn't a good enough risk. It alwyas comes down to the money, and to be honest it would be no suprise to me if many car manufacturers start doing this. Would be prudent in fact.

Stoney!
17-06-2009, 11:19 PM
It annoys me, because at the end of the day the golf is VW's best selling car, and wouldn't you want to release as many variants of your best selling model as possible, to try and please as many ppl as possible to get the sales going.

Some ppl may buy the GTD who were looking at the GTi, but so what, there are people like me who would buy a GTD that wouldn't even look at a GTi, so theres a lost sale.

Stoney!

windyzz
18-06-2009, 08:42 AM
It annoys me, because at the end of the day the golf is VW's best selling car, and wouldn't you want to release as many variants of your best selling model as possible, to try and please as many ppl as possible to get the sales going.

Some ppl may buy the GTD who were looking at the GTi, but so what, there are people like me who would buy a GTD that wouldn't even look at a GTi, so theres a lost sale.

Stoney!

Darn! I cant agree more with you! The more variant on your model line, the more you get.
Even at the worst case, some people decided to buy the GTD instead of the GTI, they lost in one side and gain in the other.

I guess we were unlucky here in Australia in term of motoring industry.
The best they can do now is to bring the GTI asap :(

maca
08-07-2009, 10:12 PM

Stoney!
Agree 100%... As much as I think the GTI's sexy, the GTD would be so much more practical with the same level of appeal :D

weekender
09-07-2009, 05:56 AM
This sales strategy if you can it call it that does not make much sense.

I would think that the more products one owner has in the market place the better in particular when it is a product in demand. I could understand if it was an Aus specific product but when you have done the R&D you would think that the opportunity to sell it is a good thing.

I don't think selling diet coke, coke,water and spite hurts the bottom line for its owners. As long as you pick one of their products out of the fridge the sales outcome is still good.

Corey_R
10-07-2009, 12:54 PM
The problem is, right now VW can say the Golf GTI is the top selling car in its class. If they dilute the sales with other options like the GTD and the Scirocco, then all of a sudden the Ford Focus XR5 may be the top selling car in the class etc.

As you can see with 'sheeple' that go and by iPods and iPhones because 'that's what everyone else does', even though they're arguably over priced and no the best music player or phone on the market, being the 'best selling' of its type seems to count for a lot these days. Sheeple assume that because it's the best selling it must be the best, and they end up buying it even though there are much better options available.

Having said all that, the GTD and Scirocco would be great in Australia ;)

GoLfMan
10-07-2009, 01:14 PM
Im not sure the GTD would detract from GTI sales. Its really a different market. Some people just want the GTI badge just as much as the "GTI experience"

Diesel hot hatches are very new in Aus and only just getting recognition, surely the success of the GT TDI would be a decent indication that its feasible here!

Greg Roles
10-07-2009, 01:42 PM
It does seem odd that VW would fly in the face of all the reports that "petrol" will bypass $2 per litre in the next several months, and there are predictions of huge shortages in the next 3-5 given exponentially increasing Asian demand. I figure it would be prudent to focus on the most economical options, as people will want the most km's for their money. Still, I figure they'll use the "diesel demand" excuse again and jack diesel prices up even higher...

Timbo
10-07-2009, 02:15 PM
I think it's absolute rubbish, and just a smokescreen while VWA sequences its model release in Australia. It's not about cannibalising GTI sales, but rather about ensuring the maximum margin from those sales and initial inventories (usually over the initial 12 mths) while stocks are short and no-one's really discounting. The likes of Barloworld highlight this sort of stuff up to bring forward sales and maintain demand and pricing for their floorstock.

If they have GTDs on the floor at the same time, then customers have an internal choice that ultimately may reduce margins over that early period.

I'll put money on a GTD or some type of "sports" 125Kw diesel being on the floor within 12 mths. VWA have sold too many of them to happy punters, and it's critical they have a replacement available.

GoLfMan
10-07-2009, 04:28 PM
VWA have sold too many of them to happy punters, and it's critical they have a replacement available.

it would make poor business sense if they didnt cater for the "repeat" business of a mk5 owner wanting to upgrade his current GT TDI for a new GTD.

unless that owner is very loyal to VW, he's going to go elsewhere for a new "sport diesel"!

Greg Roles
13-07-2009, 07:25 PM
....well I read in this months Yankie "Dieselpower" mag that the USA is getting the MK6 168hp 2.0 diesel Golf, and they've finally dropped the name "Rabbit".

ENERG1
13-07-2009, 10:07 PM
The diesel car through out Europe is massive all i see is diesel,

although the diesel car has taken off here in Australia, is it really in the best

interests of VWA to bring out the GTD,[BRILLIANT CAR ] have read about it in

the mags but would they sell enough of them to make it worth their while.

Maybe when the diesel sales really sky rocket it would be.

Luke

Breno
02-08-2009, 05:14 PM
My wife currently drives a Liberty 3.0R spec.B and we are looking to upgrade very soon. If the GTD were available now I would put down a deposit tomorrow. I hope VWA reads these forums and takes notice of the interest. I'm not interested in a GTI.

CatonaPC©
02-08-2009, 06:03 PM
Given the surge in popularity of diesels in this country, not offering the GTD does not make sense. I would suggest if it were available for sale, it would outsell the petrol GTI.

The only reason I could think that VWA would not bring it in is the final on-road cost may be too high. If it starts getting into an Audi diesel price category, how would that affect sales? Other than enthusiasts, a typical diesel buyer is likely to opt for the cheaper 103kw variant. So the consequent sale volume will be too low to warrant importing the GTD.

gerhard
02-08-2009, 06:31 PM
Given the surge in popularity of diesels in this country, not offering the GTD does not make sense. I would suggest if it were available for sale, it would outsell the petrol GTI.

The only reason I could think that VWA would not bring it in is the final on-road cost may be too high. If it starts getting into an Audi diesel price category, how would that affect sales? Other than enthusiasts, a typical diesel buyer is likely to opt for the cheaper 103kw variant. So the consequent sale volume will be too low to warrant importing the GTD.

Then how do you explain that the MKV GT TDI, which has been available alongside the GTI for several years, has NOT outsold the GTI.

Changing to MKVI is not going to reverse the relativity.

But I agree VWA is restricting sales growth by restricting model variants. In the AUDI camp, they bring everything that moves and are growing faster than VW is growing. That should tell VW something...- Bring them all :biggrin: