PDA

View Full Version : roof rack removal

clip
10-06-2009, 10:16 PM
jsut checking out some of the pics courtesy of team V and couldn't work out was different with some of them.... they don't have the roof rails.

Anyone know how to remove them? Is it possible?

team_v
12-06-2009, 09:43 AM
Clip,

I had a look around and couldn't find a guide to the removal of roof racks on the tiguan.
The only explanation i can offer is that the pictures are mostly from european countries so they may not have the roof-racks on their cars as standard.
I will keep an eye out though as no doubt someone will attempt to do it.

When i decide to get my tiguan, i was going to see if i can get one without roofracks, although it may have to be a 5 month wait to be built and shipped.

clip
12-06-2009, 10:36 AM
Thanks mate, much appreciated.

A shame I didn't think about it at the time, otherwise I would have ordered one without too!

team_v
12-06-2009, 10:47 AM
I thought it would have been an optional extra as it seems pointless restricting you to have roof racks.
It might be a ploy to allow them to increase RRP since it comes with roof racks.......

Maybe it adds to the suv look so they made it standard.
It might also be to add storage capacity since the boot space is smaller than equivalent cars (forrester, Q5 etc).

NZTiguan
12-06-2009, 10:50 AM
Clip,

I had a look around and couldn't find a guide to the removal of roof racks on the tiguan.
The only explanation i can offer is that the pictures are mostly from european countries so they may not have the roof-racks on their cars as standard.
I will keep an eye out though as no doubt someone will attempt to do it.

When i decide to get my tiguan, i was going to see if i can get one without roofracks, although it may have to be a 5 month wait to be built and shipped.

I believe in NA the "S" model doesn't have roof rails but as far as I'm aware that's the only one. I suspect to get them off you'd need to strip out the roof lining and afterwards you'd be faced with bogging up the holes and repainting the roof, not impossible but probably not worth the trouble.

Cheers

team_v
13-07-2009, 12:45 PM
Little update.

I spoke to the VW dealer and asked if it was possible to order a Tig without roof racks. Apparently every car comes pre-built with roof racks so you can't order them without it.

Bit of a shame and it isn't worth the effort to remove them after they have been fitted.

clip
13-07-2009, 07:08 PM
Little update.

I spoke to the VW dealer and asked if it was possible to order a Tig without roof racks. Apparently every car comes pre-built with roof racks so you can't order them without it.

Bit of a shame and it isn't worth the effort to remove them after they have been fitted.
thanks t_v. Bit of a shame really, I was hoping to be able to remove them easily. Thought they might bolt from the outside so a simple blanking cover could be installed. :frown: