PDA

View Full Version : Dusty Brake Pads

shaneth
30-12-2006, 05:01 PM
Am i just using my brakes very hard or are all you Polo GTI owners finding your brake pads extremely dusty. Its getting everywhere. After 1.5 weeks of driving its filthy of brake dust. What do you guys think.

Kai
31-12-2006, 10:01 AM
Yep, I have the same problem.

I find a simple cloth wipe over once a week keeps it looking ok for me. It gets a tad annoying when the front wheels are black and the rear are silver :(

Ive tried many products to get rid of it, brake cleaner, brake dust cleaner, degreaser. Ive found that they dont work as well as a simple wipe from a cloth.

-
Kai

GoLfMan
31-12-2006, 10:34 AM
to solve the problem paint the rims black :)

shaneth
31-12-2006, 10:35 AM
Who answered No? Speak up we wont bite. Yes Kai i agree if its only the wheels but its all over my car. I have never seen it this bad on any of my other cars. I guess i have done 3 mountain runs since i got it. :D But i normally do one every couple of weeks.

GoLfMan
31-12-2006, 10:53 AM
yeh the pads on the TDI are dusty as buggerry aswell :(

shaneth
31-12-2006, 11:02 AM
This is good to hear i really want to know as i am going to be talking to my VW dealer and seeing what they say about it. It might be a futile effort but im still going to give it a try.

MK2 GTI
01-01-2007, 05:06 PM
All good german brakes are like that, u can get crappy bendix pads, they last longer keep your wheels cleaner but dont brake as good and usually squeel.

Timbo
01-01-2007, 06:36 PM
I replaced my stockers with EBC "Greenstuff", and can report less dust, but still some. Haven't found if Redstuff are available....I think not!

I have posted the part numbers elsewhere -- in the DIY thread I think

Campaign
01-01-2007, 09:28 PM
Brake dust isn't of itself a bad thing - often it is the byproduct of better brake materials. Some people see it as the result of using substandard material and get less dusty pads, and then report they have to push harder on the pedal to stop.
and another thing: I have been told that the dust is not only pad material but off the rotor as well. The trade off for better braking/greater friction seems to be wear of components. I have heard that it can be an expensive service, and unexpected for those who are thinking that rotors last forever.