PDA

View Full Version : After market audio and sat nav (possibly AVIC F9110-BT)

freddy
09-06-2009, 02:12 PM
Despite my earlier protestations about VW dealers, in the end I have changed my mind, sucked it up and ordered a TDI Tiguan. Not a great deal by any means compared to others on this forum, but I was sick of searching (time is money). I also wasn't having any luck with any of the other vehicles I had been considering (eg Audi Q5 2.0 TDI or Volvo D5 XC70) and end of financial year was looming. It is also from a local dealer and is an 09 vehicle that will be arriving shortly with most (but not all) of the options I wanted, so I've foregone the savings I might otherwise have hoped for for convenience and peace of mind.

Anyhow, one of the options I'd wanted but didn't get was dynaudio with the RCD510. But after researching further on the weekend it seems it may not be huge thing to miss out on. It seems the sound quality of the 'premium' sound sytem base has mixed reviews (soem of you with this system may have a different view, and $1800 didn't seem like a bad price to pay).

Although the interface of the RCD-510/RNS-510 looks great, I can still add one afterwards, plus some of the other after market options also look great.

So am hoping to call upon the combined wisdom of the forum. What do you think is the best bang for buck for improved sound? Sub? Amp? New speakers? A combination of the above? Do you have any recommendations for the above? Am thinking of driving a new sub with something like a THA555 Blaupunkt amp. (I'm not an audiophile by any means and would prefer a sub that doesn't take up much room).

Also, I wont be doing any of this myself. I'd rather have an expert get it right (or take the blame) on a brand new car than risk stuffing anything up.

Although I had been considering an aftermarket RCD-510/RNS-510 or the AVC-9000, the new pioneer AVIC F9110-BT looks the goods. See here:
http://www.pioneer.eu/eur/content/press/news/avicf9110bt_vw_skoda_seat.html

Has anyone heard any more about this? Have been googling, but so far can only find the media release (parroted across various websites). Basically it looks like the current AVIC FB900-BT (which retails for $2,000, but can be picked up for less), but updated specifically for VW vehicles. It also looks like VW are introducing it as a factory option for some countries. Will be available in Europe from July. As it wont be any cheaper than importing an RNS-510, I'll wait for the reviews, but it:
- 'should' produce better sound than the RCD-510 or RNS-510,
- would allow me (ie my installer) to able to add sat nav, bluetooth and a reverse camera (plus some additional tricks like the 'eco report' and support of a wider range of video formats), and
- 'should' be controllable by the steering wheel buttons.

Any thoughts will be much appreciated.

Arctra
09-06-2009, 02:51 PM
That looks like a very nice unit I must say. I've been wondering whether there are any good quality aftermarket units to put in the Tig. I'm very interested to see what responses you get here. Presumably the Pioneer GPS software and maps will be upgraded frequently for a while to come still. That's one of my concerns with the maps on the RNS510.

Arctra
09-06-2009, 03:56 PM
Just did a quick search and it seems there's a fairly active community for the series of Pioneer you're talking of. Check it out here:
http://avic411.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=40

clip
09-06-2009, 04:32 PM
If you want, forget the head unit for the time being and add a really good 2 channel amp to power a new set of front splits (I'd go with the Hertz or Focal). The amp will sit neatly under the driver or passenger seat. Then I would go for the Focal 10" underseat sub that you could mount in the rear and take up minimal space.

Leave the back speakers stock and unamped - just running off your head unit as normal, they will still give you some fill and allow you to fade out the fronts if you want.

I reckon that would sound 100% on stock for not a lot of $$$ (around $1500 if you don't go too crazy with the speakers) that sort of setup should sound very nice. Later you can then upgrade your head unit to whatever you want.

Pullstarter
09-06-2009, 05:53 PM
I retained the stock RCD310 head unit and went with Hertz 6" splits up front, a 12" Hertz sub in Vibe box in the back and 4 channel Hertz amp and it sounds FANTASTIC! All for $1400 fitted from Doran Pro Audio in Bankstown, they did an excellent install also. I don't know how it compares to the Dynaudio setup but odds on it would be better given the power of my amp vs the premium audio pack version. Very, very happy with this upgrade.

Bayman
09-06-2009, 09:54 PM
I retained the stock RCD310 head unit and went with Hertz 6" splits up front, a 12" Hertz sub in Vibe box in the back and 4 channel Hertz amp and it sounds FANTASTIC! All for $1400 fitted from Doran Pro Audio in Bankstown, they did an excellent install also. I don't know how it compares to the Dynaudio setup but odds on it would be better given the power of my amp vs the premium audio pack version. Very, very happy with this upgrade.

Sounds great, but I was wondering if you are using the Ipod media in? I find the RCD 310 a bit basic in the selecting tracks. If I hit the browse function it seems to lock up with AUX on the screen and I can't get it back to display the tracks. The MFD shows AUX also, it plays the tracks but is in dumb mode. Doing a media initialisation it does not come good. I have to reset the Ipod.
I am wondering if the RCD 310 needs perfecting for Ipod use OR my Ipod is the previous model and might not be 100% compatible. Maybe the RCD 310 can get a software update, any ideas anyone?

Paragon
09-06-2009, 10:08 PM
For those looking into an aftermarket headunit which isnt one of those AVC9000 or ebay specials does anyone make a fascia kit to mount it into the dash?

clip
09-06-2009, 11:01 PM
For those looking into an aftermarket headunit which isnt one of those AVC9000 or ebay specials does anyone make a fascia kit to mount it into the dash?
yes

see freddy's pioneer link above

freddy
09-06-2009, 11:54 PM

Are you looking for a fascia adapter for volkswagens, such as found here:

http://www.dnaaudio.com.au/fascias.html#VOLKSWAGEN

There are other options out there if you google volkswagen fascia adapter.

Thanks for the replies so far guys. Looks like a decent set of front splits, an amp and a sub are the go, whilst waiting for reviews on the pioneer head unit. I see you've answered similar questions before Clip - thanks for sharing the experience & knowledge around.

For speakers am looking into Hertz & Focal as suggested, plus a few others (including Pioneer PRS, JL ZRs and Infinity Kappa - these options if I can find them on sale only). Wont be able to audition so it will probably come down to what gets good online reviews, what's on special and what seems like bang for buck - am many hours from a capital city. Not focussing on power/loudness, am looking more for clarity and warmth.

Edit - scratch the pioneer PRS - odd size (6.75).

clip
10-06-2009, 11:15 AM
These might also be interesting to listen to if you live in Melbourne. They are supposed to be very nice, and they're priced very well.
http://www.soundlabsgroup.com.au/p/CP-131650-PRESET1/PRESET-1+Split+Speakers

Their amps and gear rate very highly.

freddy
10-06-2009, 01:00 PM
Novice question alert - what are the options for placing a small subwoofer in the Tiguan? Would prefer to avoid taking up space in the boot. Intend to put an amp under one seat (seats will be leather - does the passenger tray take up room)?

Am not aiming for powerful bass, just want depth so the front speakers don't have to work too hard. Thinking of something like JL's shallow 13TW5-3:
http://www.ryda.com.au/JL-Audio-13TW53-13-Shallow-Subwoofer-p/13tw53.htm

Pullstarter
10-06-2009, 05:01 PM
Sounds great, but I was wondering if you are using the Ipod media in? I find the RCD 310 a bit basic in the selecting tracks. If I hit the browse function it seems to lock up with AUX on the screen and I can't get it back to display the tracks. The MFD shows AUX also, it plays the tracks but is in dumb mode. Doing a media initialisation it does not come good. I have to reset the Ipod.
I am wondering if the RCD 310 needs perfecting for Ipod use OR my Ipod is the previous model and might not be 100% compatible. Maybe the RCD 310 can get a software update, any ideas anyone?

Can't comment on Ipod with the RCD310, unfortunately I don't have the adaptor thingy yet.

Tigga1
11-06-2009, 07:13 PM

any pictures:)?

Pullstarter
11-06-2009, 08:12 PM
No everything bar the sub is mounted in the stock factory location so can't be seen, thats the way I wanted it :)

Tigga1
13-06-2009, 12:07 PM
No everything bar the sub is mounted in the stock factory location so can't be seen, thats the way I wanted it :)
where is that, is it in one of the rear sidepanels?

Pullstarter
14-06-2009, 07:17 PM
where is that, is it in one of the rear sidepanels?

No it's in a removable Vibe sub-box in the boot, attached with velcro and quick release wire connectors only a 10 second job to remove it and re-install it. :)

clip
14-06-2009, 08:24 PM
Hope I'm not hijacking the thread (it was about head units I think), but thought this might interest a few of you. Over the last years, I've pretty much been sold on Hertz speakers, and went to update my 5 year old set that I'd put in the Tig when I first got it. I'd listened to Focal's and love the top end series (the mid / lower price range series don't do much for me). Anyway, I ended up getting a set of German Maestro's from the dealer that normally sells me the Hertz.

TBH, they've blown me away.

As for fitting in the Tig, they do run a particularly large cross over unit, but I found the ideal placement for it. All other install is the same for any other aftermarket speaker fit up in the Tig. Tweeter mounts in factory door mount (courtesy of a hot glue gun!). 6.5 mounts beautifully in the Tig door with a simple spacer.

I've posted my impressions here if you're interested:
http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/newforum/upload/showthread.php?t=30548

:)

freddy
14-06-2009, 10:23 PM
Thanks for the heads up. Let us know how the maestros go. How much were they? Did a quick google and seems they are a new'ish manufacturer made by same machines and same people as MB Quart, and they are trying hard to make a good first impression. Looks like it is working. See here:
http://www.german-maestro.de/downloads/testberichte/Carhifi_0508_CS5008_6508_en.pdf
Perhaps not recommended for deep bass styled music according to the linked review, but that is not my kind of music anyway.

clip
15-06-2009, 05:42 PM
Perhaps not recommended for deep bass styled music according to the linked review, but that is not my kind of music anyway.
thanks for the link Freddy.

The sub sorts out the bass issue so it's not so much an issue for me.

Listen to them for an hour today and did up a mixed CD of favourite tunes. Wow, I am very impressed with these. Problem is I know the rest of the system is letting them down, and I'd love to hear their top end series!

DieselTig
18-08-2009, 08:25 AM
Given that I didnt want to pay $4k for a VW big screen radio and reversing camera, I thought buying an aftermarket revesing camera was the solution. I think having wires dangling down the dash can be annoying an inconvenient, I want to ask you audio enthusiasts if I can buy a decent aftermarket head unit with camera to replace the RCD310.

Swallowtail
18-08-2009, 08:42 AM
That Pioneer unit looks pretty cool. Details here: http://www.pioneer.eu/eur/products/25/111/241/AVIC-F9110BT/index.html

I wonder if it integrates with the car (i.e. MFD, steering wheel, etc).

DieselTig
18-08-2009, 08:48 AM
That Pioneer unit looks pretty cool. Details here: http://www.pioneer.eu/eur/products/25/111/241/AVIC-F9110BT/index.html

I wonder if it integrates with the car (i.e. MFD, steering wheel, etc).
That is the question, integration ??

NZTiguan
18-08-2009, 09:12 AM
If you go to Tiguanownersclub or VWVortex's Tiguan forum Jettagirl had an aftermarket unit in her first Tig (it became known as as the Tiguarium after numerous leak issues and was bought back by VW). I can't remember the brand off hand but it had a reversing camera etc if you want to look that up there you'll find details somewhere. I do know that she has the RNS510 in her replacement Tig and I think she feels it's a better unit. If you're going aftermarket why not go to RNS510 anyway ? then you have something that's designed for the Tig and WILL work seamlessly !!

Cheers

Swallowtail
18-08-2009, 09:48 AM
If you're going aftermarket why not go to RNS510 anyway ? then you have something that's designed for the Tig and WILL work seamlessly !!

I agree, but options are always good! :)

DieselTig
18-08-2009, 03:23 PM
If you go to Tiguanownersclub or VWVortex's Tiguan forum Jettagirl had an aftermarket unit in her first Tig (it became known as as the Tiguarium after numerous leak issues and was bought back by VW). I can't remember the brand off hand but it had a reversing camera etc if you want to look that up there you'll find details somewhere. I do know that she has the RNS510 in her replacement Tig and I think she feels it's a better unit. If you're going aftermarket why not go to RNS510 anyway ? then you have something that's designed for the Tig and WILL work seamlessly !!

Cheers
This option on the car is $3500 and I didnt think it was worth it. I am getting the car in October so I will need to find out how much it costs to buy the unit with the camera fully installed. Surely it has to be cheaper than the VW option.

NZTiguan
19-08-2009, 06:35 AM
This option on the car is $3500 and I didnt think it was worth it. I am getting the car in October so I will need to find out how much it costs to buy the unit with the camera fully installed. Surely it has to be cheaper than the VW option.

I don't believe that you can get a "truly comparable" unit installed and fully operational cheaper than the factory installed (purchased with the car) RNS510 particularly when you take the full capabilities of the RNS into account (30 gig hard drive, parking sensor display, rear camera, high quality touch screen etc etc). If you're getting your car in October and you're looking at having the functionality of the RNS then imo your BEST deal would be to add it to the car at manufacture.

DieselTig
19-08-2009, 08:32 AM
I guess I can live with some inconvenience of wires for the camera but I dont think $3500+ are justified for a car entertainment unit.

Transporter
19-08-2009, 08:45 AM
You're absolutely right Dieseltig.
I'm thinking about upgrading my factory fitted stereo (lucky to have MP3 file playing option) in my van and I can't justify the cost of spending less than $700 for DVD with screen.

The car cabin is not an ideal room to be in to listen high quality sound, IMO. But some people demand the best in everything, so it's their choice, nice to have it. Thanks to the people who buy the luxury items like that technology goes forward, so I'm thankful to them. :bowdown:

Maverick
19-08-2009, 08:48 AM
I don't believe that you can get a "truly comparable" unit installed and fully operational cheaper than the factory installed (purchased with the car) RNS510 particularly when you take the full capabilities of the RNS into account (30 gig hard drive, parking sensor display, rear camera, high quality touch screen etc etc). If you're getting your car in October and you're looking at having the functionality of the RNS then imo your BEST deal would be to add it to the car at manufacture.

I concur, adding the RNS 510 afterwards is easy enough but if you want the integrated camera and optical parking system (OPS) it's best to order it with the car. Reverse sensors can be added later however to do it properly you require a new bumper, at the factory they just pick the bumper with the holes in so the extra cost is minimal. To fit factory OPS after delivery will cost around $2000 and as a factory option it's ~$750.

The camera is a similar deal, the extra cost is minimal at time of order and it's over double to have it fitted later.

There's no aftermarket unit that offers the integration and finish of the factory setup and you could spend a lot on aftermarket equipment trying.

Transporter
19-08-2009, 09:05 AM
That's a very good point.
Yes many options are very cheap when ordered in time when the car is build, adding on later can cost much more.

DieselTig
19-08-2009, 10:21 AM
That's a very good point.
Yes many options are very cheap when ordered in time when the car is build, adding on later can cost much more.
At the time of ordering the vehicle, I was not happy to pay $4k for this unit, the only thing I was interested was the reversing camera not entertainment. $300 camera in this case will be ok and will put up with some inconvenience. I put on around $15k of options I thought that was enough let alone spending another $4k+ for entertainment unit.

advanr
19-08-2009, 11:34 PM
try get in touch with these guys. http://www.vms4x4.com/home
had 1 installed in my new tiguan, working very nicely. look n work like a factory one maybe better!

DieselTig
20-08-2009, 09:27 PM
try get in touch with these guys. http://www.vms4x4.com/home
had 1 installed in my new tiguan, working very nicely. look n work like a factory one maybe better!
Which unit did you get, just out of curiosity?

clip
23-08-2009, 04:04 PM
This is for those that have the RNS510, could any of you tell me if it plays any formats other than mp3? (like flac, monkey, or even wma). Thanks guys.

Torn
23-08-2009, 04:18 PM
I looked at getting one of these for my Dads Jetta, i belive only MP3 and WMA, unless firmware has upgraded since i looked at them

some details are in this doc http://www.volkswagen.com.au/etc/medialib/vwcms/virtualmaster/en_au/company/volkswagen_technology/rns510.Par.0001.File.pdf/54056%20Sat%20Nav%20A4%20Flyer.pdf

clip
23-08-2009, 04:33 PM
thanks Torn, much appreciated.

DJY
24-08-2009, 09:12 PM
my RCD510 only plays MP3 and WMA which is a bugger as my collection is almost exclusively AAC!

Means I will have to get the MDI I guess...
not sure if that will go in at the same time as my RNS510 though...

I would have the rumour of the iPhone docking system moving to mini USB to spread to iPods then I'd need another new MDI!?!?!

Torn
24-08-2009, 09:23 PM
DJY you can convert your tunes in itunes to MP3 with a click of a button, however i'm guessing you have a lot of music purchased from itunes and they wont convert i dont think because of the rights management.

To my ears AAC is much better quality.

With the MDi you should be able to just buy the different cable that plugs into the MDI rather than a whole new MDI.

I'm looking to retrofit the console MDI when i get my Tig rather than the dealer fitted glovebox jobby

DJY
24-08-2009, 10:20 PM
DJY you can convert your tunes in itunes to MP3 with a click of a button, however i'm guessing you have a lot of music purchased from itunes and they wont convert i dont think because of the rights management.

To my ears AAC is much better quality.

With the MDi you should be able to just buy the different cable that plugs into the MDI rather than a whole new MDI.

I'm looking to retrofit the console MDI when i get my Tig rather than the dealer fitted glovebox jobby

I think that is only in the Windows version of iTunes...
I'm on a Mac... can see the convert to AAC option not the MP3 option though.

Torn
24-08-2009, 10:27 PM
ahhhhhh sorry i have microsoft coloured glasses, just checked with my sister who has a mac and she says you can make a copy by selecting the songs, then select the advanced menu and "create mp3 version" or something similar

Maverick
24-08-2009, 11:21 PM
my RCD510 only plays MP3 and WMA which is a bugger as my collection is almost exclusively AAC!

Means I will have to get the MDI I guess...
not sure if that will go in at the same time as my RNS510 though...

I would have the rumour of the iPhone docking system moving to mini USB to spread to iPods then I'd need another new MDI!?!?!

As Torn pointed out you can buy different cables from your VW dealer/online. Around AUD$70 each.

http://www.my-gti.com/category/in-car-entertainment/mdi