PDA

View Full Version : The life of a 2001 Polo 16v Mk5 6N2 Facelift

vwbonner
29-12-2006, 08:41 PM
G'day everyone.

I have just joined the forum and wanted to show of my polo.

I bought my Polo in 2001 from Regal Motors in Newcastle and now going on 5 years of ownership with a current total of 115,000km. In that time my polo has taken me halfway around Australia. From Newcastle to Cairns, Mt Isa, Darwin (spent 12months there), Alice Springs, Adelade through to Broken Hill and back to Newcastle. Since owning my polo, she has been through 2 car accidents, one with a 4WD and the other with a Kangaroo, a near miss with a cyclone in Darwin, monsoon rains, 2 hailstorms, a trip on the back of a Road Train after hitting the kangeroo in Alice, and a 13 hour nonstop journey (except for fuel) doing a continuous 150km/h down the Stuart Highway between Darwin and Alice Springs without missing a beat.

At the end of January my Polo and i are on another adventure to Broken Hill and then later on in the year of to Tasmania through Melbourn and over on the Spirit of Tasmania Boat. One big trip i want to do is to put my Polo on the Indian Pacific train to Perth and drive back to Sydney.

Anyway thanks for looking, below are some picks of my Polo's adventures.

Alice Springs
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2006/12/alice-1.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2006/12/kakadu-1.jpg

What a Kangaroo can do to a polo
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2006/12/onetufroo-1.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2006/12/Picture081-1.jpg
Thanks for looking

shaneth
29-12-2006, 10:29 PM
Hey mate, Welcome to our friendly forum. :) Wow sounds like you have done a bit of driving in your beast, great to hear its stilll going strong. I have to say for hitting a roo your car doesnt seem to bad. How fast were you going.

shaneth
29-12-2006, 10:30 PM
Whats on your bonnet at Kakadu NP?

GoLfMan
30-12-2006, 07:26 AM
welcoem mate.
youll love it here as its a great community of veedubbers. Its great to see that you are driving the rings off your polo and loving it :) what other mods do you have planned for it?
enjoy this forum as it is an absolute gold mine of info

vwbonner
30-12-2006, 01:28 PM
Whats on your bonnet at Kakadu NP?

G'day. I was doing around 100km/h about 10 minutes outside Alice Springs. The thing on the bonnet in the Kakadu pic is a plastic crocodile.

vwbonner
30-12-2006, 01:44 PM
welcoem mate.
youll love it here as its a great community of veedubbers. Its great to see that you are driving the rings off your polo and loving it :) what other mods do you have planned for it?
enjoy this forum as it is an absolute gold mine of info

G'day. Sofar i have put Ebach lowering springs in, converted the rear drum brakes to disc off a Mk3 Golf, which all bolts stright on and bumper lip kit to make it look more sporty.

Click this link for more picks of my Polo.:D
http://s67.photobucket.com/albums/h306/vwbonner/

I have been thinking of ordering the 2001 GTI headlights from Europe with the Zenon Globes in them. http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2006/12/ggg-1.jpg
Not much else planed until i can afford a real GTI.

brackie
30-12-2006, 05:01 PM
You and my young bloke would get on well. He has exactly the same lifestyle. When you get to Tassie be sure to look me up. We may be able to offer you a place to sleep.

Timbo
02-01-2007, 01:45 PM
Welcome vwbonner. Great to see a car being used well;)

darthdougal
02-01-2007, 06:24 PM
Nice, what guages have you installed in the centre console?

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2007/01/Picture055-1.jpg

vwbonner
05-01-2007, 04:58 PM
Hello mate,

just wanted to sat that I love the stunning car pics and the background - I actually plan on doing some similar travelling around Australia with my "new" Polo - it's got 126.000K's on the clock. Did you have problems getting parts in remote areas ;O) ?

Happy New Year 2007 and drive safely !

- Nick

G'day Nick

When i had the incident with the kangaroo it took the panal beater in Darwin over 2 months to fix it due to the availability of major parts. There is a Vw dealership in Darwin but they don't stock any parts other than service parts. Eg, oil filters.

Parts ordered from the dealership in Darwin took 2 weeks to arrive from Sydney by road, so everytime somthing was ordered wrong it was another 2 week wait for them. Smaller parts can be ordered air freight at an extra cost.
The dealership up there was ok to deal with in ordering the parts. Prices were slightly more than you would normaly pay due to the distance they have to travel.

If you are planning on traveling to the Territory take all the obvious parts that may fail with you. For example fuel, air, oil filters, sparkplugs, belts.

Windscreens where in stock in Darwin for my 2000 Polo. Your going to break one of those following the Road Trains.

Vwbonner

vwbonner
05-01-2007, 05:05 PM
G'day Darthdougal.
the guages are VDO. The two i have are a oil pressure and battery volts. They both cost around $80 each including the sender unit. The guage holder i was able to buy off Ebay for around $25. I ran the sender unit wires along and through the A/C drain hole so i didn't have to drill any holes in the firewall.

Stephy
02-06-2010, 07:00 PM
Oh man... I so don't want to sell mine any more, they are the best car ever hey?

GoLfMan
03-06-2010, 08:06 AM
Oh man... I so don't want to sell mine any more, they are the best car ever hey?

they dont go too bad.

To bad the 6n 8v is the most under-engined POS going around :(

that chassis deserves a free revving 16v, but it gets a stuffy underpowered single point injected 8v!

I used to 3 wheel mine everywhere! :D

Stephy
03-06-2010, 04:50 PM
Mine had a 16v badge on the back. It's on my dishwasher now.
It's off the market for the moment anyway, it got reversed into by a big arse van right in front of my eyes :mad: Poor little thing needs a new door and mirror.
Got the VR now, it is nice to have a bit more power, but i do miss how well it used to stick, it was almost on rails. It is such a good little car, i'm going to miss it so much when it goes. (it's like a pet, i've had it for more than 7 years)

GoLfMan
04-06-2010, 08:30 AM
Mine had a 16v badge on the back. It's on my dishwasher now.
It's off the market for the moment anyway, it got reversed into by a big arse van right in front of my eyes :mad: Poor little thing needs a new door and mirror.
Got the VR now, it is nice to have a bit more power, but i do miss how well it used to stick, it was almost on rails. It is such a good little car, i'm going to miss it so much when it goes. (it's like a pet, i've had it for more than 7 years)

yours was the model after mine then!

Yeh my thing used to 3 wheel around HEAPS of corners. It was HILARIOUS to see the looks on peoples faces when it happened to!
It was also a handy lift off oversteerer, something I just cant get my 9n to do :(

Stephy
07-06-2010, 02:28 PM
I can solve this problem for you. I will soften the suspension up in the front of my polo. Then you can buy it and three wheel around corners. Sound like a good plan? Heh...

GoLfMan
07-06-2010, 03:27 PM
no dice :P

Stephy
07-06-2010, 06:16 PM
Dammit....