PDA

View Full Version : Govt is legislating 2% biodiesel by 2011 and 5% from 2012

Spoddy
05-06-2009, 08:28 PM
I just lifted this from the NRMA site:

"The NSW Government is legislating at the time of writing to require all diesel to contain 2 per cent biodiesel up to 2011 and 5 per cent from 2012 onwards."

What does this do to us TDIs where VW won't let us use biodiesel under warranty?

mikinoz
05-06-2009, 08:34 PM
The NSW state government in other news are planning on replacing all DPF's on models that are imported into NSW with a straight through pipe.

How ridiculous is this, it is not in the same category as ethanol...

Spoddy
05-06-2009, 08:39 PM
The NSW state government in other news are planning on replacing all DPF's on models that are imported into NSW with a straight through pipe.

Cogdoc would be impressed with that:)

What do you mean by the ethanol comment though?

mikinoz
05-06-2009, 08:41 PM
I did not make much sense. Legislating ethanol in petrol is safer on the machinery than bio into dino-diesel engines. I know the % is small, but it will affect many things that I can see - possibly EGR in our cases...

Spoddy
05-06-2009, 08:45 PM
Hi Mikinoz,

Should this thread be transferred to the fuels and lubes thread?.

There is a topic going at the moment called "Biodiesel and your new TDI"

Transporter
06-06-2009, 07:51 AM
I just lifted this from the NRMA site:

"The NSW Government is legislating at the time of writing to require all diesel to contain 2 per cent biodiesel up to 2011 and 5 per cent from 2012 onwards."

What does this do to us TDIs where VW won't let us use biodiesel under warranty?

Just wait and see.:)

Transporter
06-06-2009, 07:55 AM

How ridiculous is this, it is not in the same category as ethanol...

So, they will probably take over the manufacturer's warranty and any car made with the DPF would have to be made without DPF just for Australia. It just doesn't make a sense. Are you sure it is not a joke?

P.S. And who would perform replacemnt of the DPF?

Coaster
06-06-2009, 10:50 AM

VW's in the US are allowed to use 5% Biodiesel. Since our Jetta's are made at the same place the US Jetta's are, I doubt there'd be any problem, except for the official ok!

There are all the other models they are made in numerous other countries for numerous other markets that might not have all its components certified.

I really don't think there's a problem, VW just want to make it easy for themselves!

Diesel_vert
06-06-2009, 08:24 PM
ON a technical level, this is good news. I saw a comparison of fuel additives from TDIClub (http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=188203) regarding lubricity on unadditized ULSD fuel. ULSD in the EU and Australia must have a maximum wear limit of 460 microns. B2 biodiesel came 1st out of 20 prodcuts - it scored 221 microns.

ON an administrative level, European Standards EN228 (petrol) and EN590 (diesel) allow a maximum of 5% ethanol and biodiesel respectively. The legislation in most EU member states dictate that fuel must meet these EN standards.

Therefore, any car sold in the EU must be able to run on a 5% mix of ethanol or biodiesel. Hence, 5% is nothing to worried about, let alone 2%.

In Australia, from 1 March 2009, the national Fuel Standard (Automotive Diesel) now allows a maximum of 5% biodiesel, inline with EN590. As a result, any diesel containing biodiesel must have a derived cetane number of 51 or above :biggrin:, inline with EN590.

WHEN it comes to warranties, VWAU should change their stance on B5, now that they have some certainty from the Australian government. Unless they've deliberately sabotaged engines bound for Australia from the factory.

Personally, as long as the European Committee for Standardization (CEN) and the EU thinks E5 and B5 is okay, then it's fine by me.

Coaster
07-06-2009, 01:00 PM
Thanks for that Diesel_vert.

That's a massive reduction, 636 microns for standard diesel, 221 microns for 2% Bio-D. It's a shame they haven't got data for 5% Bio-D.

I've always thought that Bio-D would be good for the engine due to their high lubricity, and ULSD is very 'dry'.

What are the (potential) downsides to Bio-D?
Also, where can you find 5% Bio-D? Gull sells 20% Bio-D here in Perth, that's all I can find.

Transporter
07-06-2009, 08:49 PM

That's a massive reduction, 636 microns for standard diesel, 221 microns for 2% Bio-D. It's a shame they haven't got data for 5% Bio-D.

I've always thought that Bio-D would be good for the engine due to their high lubricity, and ULSD is very 'dry'.

Bio diesel has higher viscosity than mineral diesel and severe tendency to cause injector nozzle coking especially in late model diesel engines. Bio-diesel's oxidation stability is worst than mineral diesel, so it will age faster (go off) too.
So, I prefer not to use it.

gldgti
09-06-2009, 06:47 PM
2-5% will have no ill effects. as has been shared already, the lubricity benefit is about hte only difference - that, and that a little bio in the diesel will add a little more oxygen to the mix and will result in a small soot reduction (probably immeasurable at 2-5% concentrations).

if you have a tendancy to be 'worried' about things to do with biodiesel, this isnt something to worry about... and if you tend to be 'enthused' about biodiesel use, then this is welcome news.

oracle1
29-08-2009, 08:29 PM
I now have some 60,000 km experience of use in my TD42 engine and also my older 2H engine which I have since sold. My 1HZ engine also laps it up. I make all my fuel from cradle to the grave including washing and centrifuging. I have never experienced a problem with my injectors and I run bio 100%. The Golf is chomping through its first tank of bio and you cant tell except for the smell. I think a lot of the speculation about bio is pure paranioa. I have a friend of mine who is a naturapath who I tried to convert to bio and he was so taken by the fuel he now uses it as a moisturiser instead of a fuel. It burns clean and pure and is clearly a superior fuel. Just stick your head near the tailpipe, sniff and compare, the difference is obvious.

DutchAussie
29-08-2009, 10:32 PM

Also, where can you find 5% Bio-D? Gull sells 20% Bio-D here in Perth, that's all I can find.

Coaster,

for my experience with Biodiesel go to my site and forum for a lot more information on Biodiesel.

Regards,

DutchAussie