PDA

View Full Version : Boost 98 PULP

Splashalot
03-06-2009, 03:36 PM
Has anyone used United Petrolium's Boost98 petrol in their MkV GTI?

If so, how does it compare with other 98RON fuels?

Did you notice any difference in performance/smoothness/mileage?

Many thanks

gerhard
03-06-2009, 04:25 PM
I used it once when BP had run out.

No noticeable difference to performance or economy

Splashalot
03-06-2009, 06:11 PM

Excellent :)

Boost 98 is now available here in Tassie - ~$1.25 vs $1.45 for BP Ultimate :eek: Shall give it a try.

gerhard
03-06-2009, 06:55 PM
Excellent :)

Boost 98 is now available here in Tassie - ~$1.25 vs $1.45 for BP Ultimate :eek: Shall give it a try.

Not really that excellent - it's 10% ethanol.

I wouldn't use it full time to save a measly 20c a litre.

Smoke less, drink less, or eat less junk food, but don't scrimp on $10 when you fill up.

Splashalot
04-06-2009, 11:24 AM
Not really that excellent - it's 10% ethanol.

I wouldn't use it full time to save a measly 20c a litre.

Smoke less, drink less, or eat less junk food, but don't scrimp on $10 when you fill up.

LOL! I don't smoke or eat junk food, but I ain't giving up good wine :biggrin:

Had a reply on MkV.com from someone who claimed to have worked for United warning against shandy mixtures in the 98. I think that is sufficient to put me off.

Splashalot
06-08-2009, 09:26 PM

I finally tried a tank of Boost 98. Compared to BP Ultimate, no performance difference that I could notice, apart from a slight "hunting" on low boost.

Fuel economy was approx. 5% worse.

Overall I was pretty impressed. Don't know what it would do to fuel lines etc. over prolonged use, but VW said it's OK to use, so there must be a fair safety margin there.

I'll probably use it again - mainly because the local BP distributor screws us mercilessly on Ultimate pricing.

gldgti
09-08-2009, 10:23 AM
Don't know what it would do to fuel lines etc. over prolonged use,

in theory, any alcolhol contained in the fuel will generally strip built up laquer type deposits from the fuel system.... laquer type deposits tend to be laid down by fuels not containing any alcohol componenent. so, there could be some short term problems depending on the cleanliness of the fuel system it goes into, and how long the ethanol is in there... so, theoretically, no problems with you new-ish car... and if you have some depostis to be cleaned out, they will be caught by the filter.

however, you just never quite know what is in any petrol you fill up with... personally i think its got more to do with the particular station you fill up at more than anything else, because the cleanliness (or lack thereof) of the fuel stations pump and tank system can cause real problems.

revhead1016
14-08-2009, 04:34 PM
check this thread

http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/newforum/upload/showthread.php?t=30293&highlight=fuel+brand