PDA

View Full Version : 1995 or later VR6 Despearately Wanted

pat_ballam08
02-06-2009, 10:33 PM
Hey guys,

I am recently in the market for a new car and decided that i definately want to buy a VR6. I have been told to buy a 1995 or later model, preferably with under 150,000 km's. I know this will be a challenge... But im willing to wait for the right car for me.

I live in Brisbane, QLD but would be willing to travel if the right car came along. If anyone could help me out if they know of or see anything that may be useful for me.

Thanks in advance

Mrk_Mickey
02-06-2009, 11:19 PM
Just letting you know mate, VR6's are hard to maintain because they're sensitive little mofo's. If you complain about them they'll repay you with lethal drainage to your wallet. By saying 'NEW' car I would have thought you'd be better off buying a mk5 or one of the nicer mk4's...if you don't have enough time to fiddle around with a vr6 frequently, I'd personally suggest not buying one.

The bora 4motions are coming down in price, with the same engine + 6-spd gearbox, and all four wheels are powered up ;)

chris.
02-06-2009, 11:59 PM
price range?

KI11Z
03-06-2009, 08:06 AM
don't be put off with all this junk about maintenance and failures; I've had a problem free run with mine ever since i've owned it (2005) and it has something like 280k on the clock! They're known to be strong engines. Like anything, look after it, service it regularly and drive it sensibly (with the occasional boot ;))

You'll love one and good luck with the search! It'll be wicked to have another VR up here in Brizzy whom we know :bigok:

Golf Loon
03-06-2009, 12:19 PM
Whats your budget mate?
You can buy a ropey one for $4k a decent one for $7k or the nicest one for $10k

Jmac
03-06-2009, 12:39 PM
Matt you crack me up man ( Ropey) thats gold!!! Anyway before you purchase have someone give it a once over, they are great and i love em , but uncared for will empty the wallet. A good one, maintained and if you continue to maintain it will last, and yes they are strong.
Little knowledge with these can bite you. If you know what to expect then they are tops.
Jmac
Jmac

Manaz
03-06-2009, 12:50 PM
The bora 4motions are coming down in price, with the same engine + 6-spd gearbox, and all four wheels are powered up ;)

The V6 Bora has a 24-valve engine rather than 12-valve as in the VR6 I believe.

A lot of the parts (and upgrades) for the R32 also fit on the Bora V6 4Motion... :)

Golf Houso
03-06-2009, 12:54 PM
Pretty much every single VR6 bar one or two, will need less than a few months and a few grand to get up to scratch. Even those will low km will suffer from the same problems as cars twice their age, as I have seen with mine.

Despite this, once you do iron some of the problems out, its definately a worthwhile car to own, and if you spend your time buying parts online or snatching up a bargain when you see it, you'll also find that it can be "relatively" cost effective to maintain.

Mrk_Mickey
03-06-2009, 05:13 PM
Meh, maybe it's just me but I don't think they're carefree no matter how little you replace. They are fiddly and even if you don't need to replace much they're expensive if anything does come up. I'm not trying to put the OP off, but I'm just warning him of things I've heard heaps about on this forum alone.

Mrk_Mickey
03-06-2009, 05:14 PM
The V6 Bora has a 24-valve engine rather than 12-valve as in the VR6 I believe.

A lot of the parts (and upgrades) for the R32 also fit on the Bora V6 4Motion... :)

Ahh sorry I always forget that one. Yeah, they rev smoother and the head is designed better with the right amount of valves!

MattyT
03-06-2009, 10:19 PM
TBH, my vr6 has been relatively problem free in the 2 or so years i've owned it. They are a fantastic car!! Servicing has been expensive but its a european car, so what do you expect?

gotrice
04-06-2009, 04:24 PM
http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/newforum/upload/showthread.php?t=29714

SpeciP3
04-06-2009, 06:07 PM
So does anyone have anything that may be of interest?
am also interested to know what VR's are around for sale atm :nana:

Mk3 AAA
04-06-2009, 09:18 PM
So does anyone have anything that may be of interest?
am also interested to know what VR's are around for sale atm :nana:

Mines always for sale for the right money...:nana:.

I'm tempted to sell up and deck out a Mk2 GTI, but I just can't bring myself to do it, I keep making the mistake of driving it and getting 'never selling this' syndrome.

Mrk_Mickey
05-06-2009, 01:01 AM

That saying keeps getting played in my head recently :( maybe it's a sign lol...

Not yet though :D

good luck with the sale, my advice would be to get a vr6 owner to come with you to check it out cos they'll know all you need to about owning one.

Golf Loon
05-06-2009, 08:13 AM
You lot make me laugh, all this conjecture and advice and the OP has not even returned. :duh:

SpeciP3
05-06-2009, 02:08 PM

I'm tempted to sell up and deck out a Mk2 GTI, but I just can't bring myself to do it, I keep making the mistake of driving it and getting 'never selling this' syndrome.

haha! well i'll be getting a loan soon and likely selling the mk1 for a vr, i know that's a VERY bad thing to do, but always had a thing for vr's :bowdown:

Jarred
05-06-2009, 02:21 PM
michael there's one in melbourne going cheapish, but needs a bit of love. black '94 i think.

pat_ballam08
05-06-2009, 02:51 PM
Yeah i know they can be a little troublesome and i have done alot of research into them. I have heard alot of problems that can go wrong in them but hear then engines r nearly bulletproof... and i posted on her so that i can get one thats been taken care of.

i love the look of the mk3 and ive driven a GL and just basically didnt enjoy it. lol

i have a price range of about $8500 max. And news would be much appreciated

pat_ballam08
05-06-2009, 04:04 PM
Hey i just realised, JoeVR i live up the road from you, when i saw your car is when i decided i want to buy a VR6. I practically stare at you every time you drive past. lol

I live on carinya st... I currently drive a red saab 900 (its **** i know) youve probs seen me awkwardly stare at you hahaha. I love your car!

MattyT
05-06-2009, 08:46 PM
$8500 should get you a vr6 in pretty good condition. Just make sure to get it looked over before buying!

Mk3 AAA
05-06-2009, 09:44 PM
Hey i just realised, JoeVR i live up the road from you, when i saw your car is when i decided i want to buy a VR6. I practically stare at you every time you drive past. lol

I live on carinya st... I currently drive a red saab 900 (its **** i know) youve probs seen me awkwardly stare at you hahaha. I love your car!

Haha, that's uncanny. and here I was thinking it was going unappreciated. I do know your car, haven't spotted anyone staring as of yet, but will keep a look out. Bet you've seen the noisy red colour concept aswell. Head over sometime if you want a ride around the block in it.

Oh..and have to ask: how does it sound heading up the hill (just stock exhaust so nothing too exciting)?

pat_ballam08
06-06-2009, 04:34 PM
yeah i love the sound of the VR6, they r a nice sound with or without an exhaust on them! I first heard it and thought it had an exhaust, but when i saw it was stock i was amazed. It is EXTREMELY nice, i love it haha