PDA

View Full Version : GTI Sat Nav Option

brockybear
26-12-2006, 10:09 PM
Hi,

Just took delivery of my Golf GTI and cant wipe the smile off my face ! Wow what a car.

I ordered Sat Nav as an option but found that the CD Stacker was missing from the centre compartment. I emailed the dealer asking what had happened, only to be told that it wasnt included. The dealers said :

"The Gti stacker us usually in the dash, part and parcel with the radio, however the sat nav takes this place. A remote stacker can be supplied but has to be ordered in.These are fairly expensive at about 1200.00. Cars which are built to an order with sat nav come with a remote 6 stacker however very few cars are ordered this way by dealers as stock as this limits the saleability. A better option is to install an ipod adaptor for 345.00 as this works really well with the sat nav."

I was charged $3600 for the Sat Nav as described on the VW website and Brochures. At no point was it ever stated that the CD Changer is not included. Has anyone else had this problem ?

evorobin
26-12-2006, 10:28 PM
When you can get a navman for $380 that works better than oem I'd probably not spec it. Had no idea the option cost so much :o

gtimk5
27-12-2006, 09:43 AM
Hi brockybear. Welcome to the forum. Its great to have yet another GTI owner here. They are one of the great cars of our time and a classic in the making.:D
Thats sad to hear about the satnav prices and the cd unit thing. I had no idea about that. What a ripoff.:?
Anyway, it's good to have you here and I hope you enjoy the forum. We are mainly a friendly bunch and this forum would be the friendliest around!
Cheers, Andrew:)

Tensixty6
27-12-2006, 08:27 PM
What a load of crapola. When you order the genuine OEM SatNav option with your GTI, you get the single disk slot "in dash" which takes the navigation CD. The centre console is taken up with a six stack CD unit, which, as one might expect, takes up pretty much all the centre console. You also get the full screen MFD display (referred to as highline computer in Europe and the UK) as opposed to the half screen display as found in cars that don't have SatNav.

I'm not aware of any change to the SatNav in the MY07 car, compared to my MY06 model.

I would suggest you talk to your dealer again. If they still give you the same load of rubbish.....I would take the matter up with VW Australia.

brockybear
27-12-2006, 09:14 PM
What a load of crapola. When you order the genuine OEM SatNav option with your GTI, you get the single disk slot "in dash" which takes the navigation CD. The centre console is taken up with a six stack CD unit, which, as one might expect, takes up pretty much all the centre console. You also get the full screen MFD display (referred to as highline computer in Europe and the UK) as opposed to the half screen display as found in cars that don't have SatNav.

I'm not aware of any change to the SatNav in the MY07 car, compared to my MY06 model.

I would suggest you talk to your dealer again. If they still give you the same load of rubbish.....I would take the matter up with VW Australia.

I agree !

My closest dealer is Mildura and I have already paid an extra $699 for the CD Changer. I will have it installed Jan 2007 and write a formal letter of complaint to VW Australia. I wanted the factory unit because it fits the dash and is integrated with the stereo. If I wanted an Ipod dangling from a cord out of the glove box i would have ordered it.

On a brighter note, thanks for the welcome. Its good to be back in a V Dub after all these years. My first was a 1972 Beetle then a 1969 Combi. The GTI is awsome.

Tensixty6
28-12-2006, 12:22 PM
These photos show what should be fitted to a car with the OEM SatNav option.

I doubt if you could insist on fitment now, given that you've taken delivery. I'm pretty sure that the installation is done at the VW factory in South Africa.

Still, you should at least be entitled to a full refund of the amount you paid for the SatNav option.

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h160/Tensixty6/P1010398.jpg

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h160/Tensixty6/P1010404.jpg

Tricky
16-01-2007, 07:27 PM
I agree !

My closest dealer is Mildura and I have already paid an extra $699 for the CD Changer. I will have it installed Jan 2007 and write a formal letter of complaint to VW Australia. I wanted the factory unit because it fits the dash and is integrated with the stereo. If I wanted an Ipod dangling from a cord out of the glove box i would have ordered it.

On a brighter note, thanks for the welcome. Its good to be back in a V Dub after all these years. My first was a 1972 Beetle then a 1969 Combi. The GTI is awsome.

Did you hear anything back from VW Australia? I am about to order a GTI and will probably go for the Sat Nav, but my dealer noted that a car that was available at another inter-state dealership had been 'retro-fitted' with the Sat Nav, meaning the cd-stacker wouldn't be in the armrest. Looks like VW have sold and charged you for an OEM Sat Nav (which should include the cd stacker) whilst they've supplied you with a retro-fitted unit...

Lams
16-01-2007, 10:16 PM
about a year ago VW Australia started supplying kits to their dealers so that they could fit satnav units themselves.

I believe that they will swap your radio with a satnav unit, but they will not bother with a full-screen instrument cluster or the shark fin GPS antenna on the roof. If you are missing either or both, then it's likely that your satnav was fitted by the dealer, and that would explain why the stacker is missing.

$3600 option from factory would included these items, so go and check it out!

brockybear
17-01-2007, 05:54 AM
I am taking my car to Mildura to have the CD stacker installed. Looks like I will be up for $1200 in labour and additional parts to get the stacker installed. Once I have all the invoices I will look at what legal options I have.

Given I paid $3600 for the Sat Nav option and $1200 for the stacker thats a grand total of $4800. I should be able to seek damages of $3600 from the dealer.

Lima
17-01-2007, 09:03 AM
That's bollocks brockybear. I hope you get some joy from VW about that. :mad:

origin
16-02-2007, 04:30 PM
Hi,

I spoke with the sales at burwin volkswagen. He told me the current model 07
will come with dvd navigation and 6 cds changer.

Will you navigation dvd or cd base? Can you check your navi media?

Thanks
origin

brockybear
16-02-2007, 05:29 PM
Hi,

I spoke with the sales at burwin volkswagen. He told me the current model 07
will come with dvd navigation and 6 cds changer.

Will you navigation dvd or cd base? Can you check your navi media?

Thanks
origin

I just had a look and I can confirm that my 07 GTI Nav disk is a CD with a 6 CD changer in the center console

origin
16-02-2007, 08:51 PM
thanks broky for checking your navigation cd's

have fun I am getting my one's this weekends.. I am going to buy diesel..
Cheers
origin

brackie
17-02-2007, 05:54 AM
I am going to buy diesel..
Cheers
origin
Another TDI on the way! :D Don't forget to run her in properly n:

origin
19-02-2007, 10:11 AM
Hi Brocky and brackie,

Thank you for your advised I will look after my new cars. This is the first
time I have diesel engine. I have been reading about diesel engine on this website and It is very usefull.

I have picked up my VW last sunday. I ended up bought passat wagon diesel
with DVD sat. I need more room for 2 kids.

love it a lot and the engine respond not bad at all..

Have fun guys.

cheers
origin:D

shaker
28-10-2007, 03:46 PM
Hey Brockybear, What was the outcome from Volkswagen regarding your Sat Nav system?

THE KOP
29-10-2007, 11:45 AM
This is straight from the brochure !

Satellite navigation
Large format 6½" colour map screen and audible driving recommendations
Multi-function trip computer with additional satellite navigation display
6 disc CD changer mounted in centre console and 10 speakers*
*The satellite navigation system is not equipped with the Volkswagen sound package. The radio/navigation system
and centre console mounted CD changer are not MP3 compatible

PS. Pretty sure I was only quoted $2990 and not $3600 for the factory installed Sat-Nav. You may want to query that with your dealer mate.

Lima
29-10-2007, 02:06 PM
Hasn't factory-fitted Nav on MY08 cars been reduced to $2490??? Presumably, on account of them having the full screen MFD in between the speedo and tacho...

:?

shaker
29-10-2007, 08:52 PM
Hasn't factory-fitted Nav on MY08 cars been reduced to $2490??? Presumably, on account of them having the full screen MFD in between the speedo and tacho...

I'm confused. Can you explain what you mean by the MFD being between speedo and Tacho. Does it still include the large screen in the centre console?

jb747
30-10-2007, 10:52 PM
I'm confused. Can you explain what you mean by the MFD being between speedo and Tacho. Does it still include the large screen in the centre console?The MFD is the screen between the speedo and tacho. It has nothing to do with any screen that may, or may not, be in the centre.

THE KOP
02-11-2007, 10:33 AM

Fairly sure I was quoted $2990. Same as the leather.

gti mk5
05-11-2007, 10:31 PM
thats a load of rubbish i just got my gti withthe sat nav option i got the staker aswell -

im guessing ur dealer is sly and not honest with his customers over a few $$$$