PDA

View Full Version : MK5 sound system upgrade

TDIESEL
31-05-2009, 02:55 PM
Ok sound guru's...question time

I am looking at putting a sub in my MK5 and trying to figure out the best scenario:

1. Buy 4 channel amp to drive main speakers (Blaupunkt THA-475 to be mounted under front seat) and add a powered sub box such as the Jaycar CS2271 http://jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=CS2271&CATID=15&form=CAT&SUBCATID=396 or,

2. Buy 5 channel amp (Blaupunkt THA-555 to be mounted in hatch area) and add a pre-fab sub box and good quality sub.

In regards to sub boxes which is better, ported or sealed and why? Also, would you recommend a 10 or 12" sub?

I am after tight, deep bass at low to mid volume. Not loud, make your ears bleed, mushy, boomy, doof doof garble.

KWICKS
31-05-2009, 03:10 PM
Sealed for you request.

Greg Roles
31-05-2009, 04:50 PM
I have to say the best change I heard was swapping to an Alpine head unit on the stock speakers. Massive improvement.

I'm running a 8" Boston sub in a 8.5L side box and it has a very nice tight, seamless response down into sub territory. Not the fearce sound a 12" in a 30L box puts out, but I'm extremely impressed with the sound. Takes up zero boot space too. Sealed always gives a tighter drum kick, but not the same level of response as ported. I like sealed personally, but I'm all about SQ, not SPL. My build thread is on here if interested.

My vote is a decent smaller sealed sub with a decent amp and signal. That's the trick to blending it in. Go the smaller four channel under the seat and only amp the fronts and bridge the sub. Rear is just fill anyhow. My rears only run off the headunit, and blend in amazingly well.

Symo
03-06-2009, 06:32 PM
Which Alpine HU and does it deal effectively with an ipod?

Greg Roles
03-06-2009, 07:03 PM
I have a 9887, and with the ipod adaptor I'm sure it'd be fine. Haven't gotten that far as yet, as I just burn a million mp3's onto a CD. Anything with decent sound control and crossovers will do wonders on the stock speakers over the stocko head. The jump up to all replacement speakers, an amp and a sub was obviously better, but cost a whole lot more than just a headunit.

TDIESEL
03-06-2009, 07:09 PM
I ended up going with the 5 channel Blaupunkt amp for mine in the end. My RCD500 arrived today and expect the rest of the gear to be here next week some time :biggrin:

Joe Bellissimo
04-06-2009, 05:16 PM
Where did you get the Blaupunkt amp from? Its hard to find them at the moment.

TDIESEL
04-06-2009, 09:32 PM
An EBAY seller in US. I got my plug n play wiring harnesses from www.bluespot.co.uk. They also sell the amps but pays to do some web surfing.

TDIESEL
05-06-2009, 06:27 AM
I got an email from this place last night http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_9714_Blaupunkt+THA555+PnP+-THA555PnP-.html, they have stock back in now and were the cheapest online store I could find.

I paid $269US for mine on EBAY.

Joe Bellissimo
05-06-2009, 09:39 PM
I see. I was pretty sure they had pulled out of the Australian market. I was investigating them as a possible supplier for me but the only thing left in the country was the service department. The irony :P

TDIESEL
06-06-2009, 11:39 AM
LMAO. Not wrong about the irony. They were out of stock when I was looking as well so I asked to be informed whe stock was in. I then searched everywhere and found one on EBAY for the same price but it had a make an offer option so I just knocked 10% off and won it. Sure enough, the next day I get an e-mail saying the amps are back in stock :biggrin:

I'd grab it while you can as that's the best price I have found anywhere.

Joe Bellissimo
06-06-2009, 06:38 PM
I've got a 5 channel earthquake sitting in my room atm. I don't think I'll be taking up anymore stock unless I move the current stock!

Besides, I can't offer warranty on a product which isn't sold in the country anymore =(