PDA

View Full Version : Build quality

vectorskink
27-05-2009, 03:25 PM
Hi guys

There's a couple of posts about the interior build quality of VW Golf MkV ie. dash rattles etc.

Any of you Skoda owners have this problem??

wombatoutofhell
27-05-2009, 03:42 PM
My RS is a 2007 model and hasn't a rattle in it. I'd say the build quality is very good.

phaeton
27-05-2009, 07:07 PM
Yep Skoda is one of the best of the VW Group for building cars ;)

Tick
27-05-2009, 07:20 PM
I do have a very bad rattle in my hatch, but the source has been pinpointed to a slightly warped plastic trim which is due to be replaced in a few weeks when the part arrives from Europe.

IMO you would be pretty unlucky to to come across any dash rattles. They seem to be very well put together. Hope this helps.

brad
27-05-2009, 07:55 PM
22,000km.
Not a rattle, not a squeak, no niggly problems.

I've had one warranty claim at 7,000km for a faulty fuel pressure regulator that caused the engine to go into limp home mode. It was fixed without a fuss.

I don't have a huge amount of confidence in my local dealer but I think they are all like that (lack of knowledge and experience, care factor zero).

NB: I'm a fussy bugger. ex-motor mechanic - which is worse than ex-smoker.

woofy
27-05-2009, 09:53 PM
Not a peep in mine in the last 6 mths now, the UK guys hardly ever mention stuff like that so I don't think the dreaded golf rattles happen in the Skodas much. It also seems the rattles in the golfs also depend on where they were put together.

mrgolf
27-05-2009, 10:41 PM
Having previously owned a MkV GTI 3dr (Wolfsburg built) and extensively driven my partners ex-MkV Comfortline (SA built), I can confirm rattles in the Golfs. I had several including sunroof (in both), dash, somewhere in the cabin and the round bits in the rear light housings fell out inside and were replaced under warranty with less than 30K on the clock.

The Skoda is 14000km old and the only rattle belongs to my sons baby capsule. Well built.

vectorskink
28-05-2009, 11:44 PM
Great! Liking the sound of this!

Whitty
08-06-2009, 01:42 PM
I have a 08 model octavia tsi with 8000kms on the clock.
Has recently developed several 'noises'

1. Creakand rattle in drivers door - fixed by dealer apparently something to do with door seal.

2. Vibration in roof lining somewhere when driving on coarse road surfaces.

3. tapping sound from behind dash which is related to operation of interior fan.

The dealer claims they can't reproduce 2 & 3

Have other people had similar probs with their cars?

mrgolf
08-06-2009, 09:33 PM
No.

extra letters added cos the original post was apparently too short.

woofy
10-06-2009, 09:43 AM
Actually part of my brain is missing......I do have door seal creaking when going up angles on driveways, on pretty much every surface there is a door seal. It doesn't do it in normal driving, but going up a ramp or driveway curb, anything with an angle really, every seal creaks. I used to get it on my 6 when it was new, but it went away really quickly once they settled in. Its still there 6 mths later and I've noticed every demo RS I have driven does it as well, but not any other OCty. They did mention it in Briskoda but it seems lots did it, I just figured it was a characteristic of a stiffer model.

vRS554
10-06-2009, 10:09 AM
I get the creaking on my RS as well, again only when going up ramps or steep inclines not in normal driving. Haven't had the dealer check it out yet, was going to wait until the next service which isn't too far off.
Also get the occassional tapping noise from the aircon although that doesn't happen often enough that I've bothered to get it checked out yet, again I'll wait for the service in a few '000km

mrgolf
11-06-2009, 06:54 PM
I used to get this on my 3dr GTI and on my partners Comfortline. I wouldnt actually think this is poor build quality...

Edit: creaking, that is.

woofy
12-06-2009, 10:45 AM
A few people on Briskoda reported it ages ago, I think the door seals were variable, so some cars saw it others didn't. Haven't seen anyone with a non RS report it, so part of it must be to do with rigidity. It seems to be the rear doors that do it more than anything.

Dave R32
12-06-2009, 09:32 PM
Octavia VRS......28,000 kms in 14 months with no rattles, squeaks or creaks.

Best build quality of the 4 VAG cars I have owned.

Cheers
Dave.

Johnny_dust
03-08-2009, 09:23 PM
I have the same tapping sound coming from the interior fans behind the dash. It only seems to make this noise when it is on a low speed, my guess is that it runs and then stops and runs and stops and the sound is it slowing down. Im far from an expert though, just a theory.

gregozedobe
03-08-2009, 10:50 PM
There have been some reports of quiet tapping sounds from the passenger side bulkhead - IIRC it is caused by the fuel lines not being secured tightly enough. I think mine does it a little bit but it is very subdued and not consistent (hard to hear unless you really try at idle in a quiet location).

Nothing else to report except I still love my Octy after 13 months of ownership.

VRS-Vic
04-08-2009, 12:03 PM
I also have the creaking issues when going up my driveway on an angle.

I'll wait for my service to mention it to the dealer

Ocy_RS_TDi_Kombi
06-08-2009, 09:19 PM
Got the creaking door noise - sounds like left rear door from the drivers seat

rym
07-08-2009, 09:17 AM
Got a BAD intermittent Rattling dash on the left side, drives us crazy! Especially my wife... it's loud!

Reproduced it in front of the dealer support supervisor, acknowledged it but later in the day say they can't reproduced it and said "sir, your car is the quietest...."

Don't know what they did whilst they had it for the day but within 5 mins of going out their drive way, it was back and belting a rattling tune in the dash.

All I can do now is crank up the music.

I've gone to the trouble of taking it back to the dealer twice with NO JOY! and NO SATISFACTION.

Oh, there was paint blemish that was fixed under warranty.

Not sold on the quality...

It's a shame, it's car that has loads of appeal, especially the 1.8l TSI engine, that's a gem of a power plant.

vRS554
01-10-2009, 08:54 AM
Just had my 15,000km service completed by Bayford Skoda. I mentioned the creaking doors and they checked it out for me. They realigned the door strikers and cleaned and lubed all the door seals and hinges. It's as quiet as the day I bought it now, no more creaks, although I'll wait to see what happens after a few days/weeks