PDA

View Full Version : Price extortion

Gordow
26-05-2009, 10:58 PM
I've been shopping around for a Tiguan lately too but have been a bit disgusted with the on road costs dealers are trying to extort out of buyers.

I've been monitoring the prices on carsales.com.au and before yesterdays ACCC change to how cars must be advertised with on-road costs inclusive, a standard TDI was running at RRP$38290. Now I see the same cars are now commanding ORC RRP$46990 or more, that's nearly $9000 in on-road costs! Talk about price gouging, I assume they'll knock a couple thousand off when new car buyers negotiate a price but the dealers are not really giving up anything.

Bayman
26-05-2009, 11:07 PM
I've been shopping around for a Tiguan lately too but have been a bit disgusted with the on road costs dealers are trying to extort out of buyers.

I've been monitoring the prices on carsales.com.au and before yesterdays ACCC change to how cars must be advertised with on-road costs inclusive, a standard TDI was running at RRP$38290. Now I see the same cars are now commanding ORC RRP$46990 or more, that's nearly $9000 in on-road costs! Talk about price gouging, I assume they'll knock a couple thousand off when new car buyers negotiate a price but the dealers are not really giving up anything.

Damm Governments interfering again to pacify the morons who can't work out the basics of car buying! A bit like Vicroads prevent a P plater driving a 1.4l Golf VI turbo but they can drive a R36 Golf. What were they drinking?

There are threads on this costing but basically the VW discounts are $2K gen discount, $2K fleet discount (if eligible) and Del Delivery no more than $990. Options are full RRP and this is where the dealers (& VW) make their profit I guess. Push them hard on all three discount factors if you can.

Gordow
26-05-2009, 11:11 PM
Well I'm going to see the dealership on the weekend and see what sort of deal they are interested in doing. I've got a good idea of what price I want to pay but whether they want my business or not is another matter.

Bayman
26-05-2009, 11:20 PM
Well I'm going to see the dealership on the weekend and see what sort of deal they are interested in doing. I've got a good idea of what price I want to pay but whether they want my business or not is another matter.

I guess some dealers will never discount Tiguans due to the short supply issues but eventually a buyer buys! Lob in and say I will sign a contract for a preconfigured price and stick to it, leave them your phone number and wave your credit card around ready to pay a deposit maybe. They will try there tricks to get you to sign but be firm and ready to walk out and visit other dealers. I went through a fleet buyer and had NIL hassles of this but we went through carp buying my wife's golf. The dealer rang me up with a good price, when we went in he upped the price and said the price he quoted was not on, so he lured us back in. If they do call you with a price get it in a FAX before you walk back in to the dealer.

Just offering my thoughts and experiences here. Good luck! Tiguans are great!

Gordow
28-05-2009, 08:39 PM
Thanks for the advice, I'm thinking I might give a car broker another go.

Rocket88
28-05-2009, 09:23 PM
Thanks for the advice, I'm thinking I might give a car broker another go.

Keep us posted how you get on mate! I will be on the hunt for a 147 Tig in the not too distant future. I need all the help I can get. I am not very good when it comes to hagling.

Gordow
30-05-2009, 05:19 PM
Keep us posted how you get on mate! I will be on the hunt for a 147 Tig in the not too distant future. I need all the help I can get. I am not very good when it comes to hagling.

I dropped into a dealer this afternoon to see what they could do for me, got quoted $48990 on road for auto TDI with leather and comfort. I said I wanted to spend $43,500 but they said that wasn't possible and wanted me to offer a more realistic price. I didn't give them another price and said no thanks and decided to walk out. Is just under $6000 for on road costs standard now for Volkswagen?

Bayman
30-05-2009, 06:27 PM
I dropped into a dealer this afternoon to see what they could do for me, got quoted $48990 on road for auto TDI with leather and comfort. I said I wanted to spend $43,500 but they said that wasn't possible and wanted me to offer a more realistic price. I didn't give them another price and said no thanks and decided to walk out. Is just under $6000 for on road costs standard now for Volkswagen?

I paid around 51k for TDI auto with leather,pk asst,sunroof,comfort,fogs, 18inch NY wheels, Tow Bar and MDI on road but was a fleet price. Without fleet I would have expected to pay no more than 53K so what had worried me regards this ACCC pricing is true.
The dealers will try and blame the ACCC to cover up fattening the dealers margins. Just make sure the dealer del fee is no more than 1000, the rest you can calculate on Gov figures.

blutopless2
31-05-2009, 09:02 AM
there was a bit of a write up in the herald sun cars guide section on the new pricing structure for cars.
all focussed around the dealer delivery bit and how they will all charge the highest amount no matter where you live as this is what they will have to advertise the car at...

WannaTig
31-05-2009, 05:21 PM

To be honest I think what you're asking is a little unrealistic, and their initial price is pretty inflated. But they've indicated they're willing to negotiate. The RRP before any onroads is $44190 assuming you want white. The statutory charges will be about $1700 depends on stamp duty in your state, dealer delivery as much as they can get away with!
Most people have had trouble extracting much of a discount, another thread on here says you can probably get dealer delivery for $990 (not $3000+:eek:) and about a $2000 discount on the car. I think, it's on here somewhere!
I went through a broker, and would recommend it. I got a manual TDI with metallic paint, alarm, sat nav with RVC, MDI and comfort for $43270 on road.

Gordow
01-06-2009, 06:42 PM
I went through a broker, and would recommend it. I got a manual TDI with metallic paint, alarm, sat nav with RVC, MDI and comfort for $43270 on road.

Nice...which broker did you go through? I tried Private Fleet but were unhappy with the initial price they started off with as they added an additional $2.5k to the on-road costs. They were able to knock the price down by $5k but I felt like I was being taking a lend of.

WannaTig
01-06-2009, 08:26 PM
I went through http://carbroker.com.au/
You put your order in, they set an on road floor price and put it out to tender. Dealer who comes back with the best deal gets the sale (within 24 hours so no huge wait). You don't have to do a thing :biggrin: They will pass your details onto their associated finance/lease mob. Don't have to go with them though, obviously.
There is no charge to you, as long as you go ahead with the sale as they get a commission from the dealer. But if they do the work for you and get a deal, then you back out, then they will charge you $250 for their time.
Works for me, I have a pathological distrust of car salesmen, having being well and truly screwed over by one years ago.:brutal:

BTW I don't work for them, seeing as this is the second time I've plugged them on here... but happy with their service.

Bayman
01-06-2009, 08:50 PM
Nice...which broker did you go through? I tried Private Fleet but were unhappy with the initial price they started off with as they added an additional $2.5k to the on-road costs. They were able to knock the price down by $5k but I felt like I was being taking a lend of.

Can you please provide a breakdown of costs as I went through a crowd in Melb that cost me $330 but they got me a good deal and even a good trade in price from a valuer buyer. Saved abit over $4000 discount and $990 on Deal Delivery and they went that litte bit further to get a car, unlike my local dealer. Options got no discount only RRP which is where I reckon they make their dosh!

Gordow
02-06-2009, 01:40 PM
Can you please provide a breakdown of costs as I went through a crowd in Melb that cost me $330 but they got me a good deal and even a good trade in price from a valuer buyer. Saved abit over $4000 discount and $990 on Deal Delivery and they went that litte bit further to get a car, unlike my local dealer. Options got no discount only RRP which is where I reckon they make their dosh!

I never got a written down quote, it was over the phone so I don't know where the price breakup was. I'm assuming most of it came from the $3700 for the dealer delivery charges and a bit off the car as well.

Did your $4000 discount include the dealer delivery discount or was that a seperate saving again?

Bayman
02-06-2009, 03:33 PM
Generally you get a discount off the RRP off the vehicle. I paid $990 for del delivery as stated rather than $2700 but this is always negiotable. The dealer can offer any discount they want but generally the mug public will be lucky to get more than 5% off the RRP I would imagine. Tigs are in short supply so why give them away. Last year I could have saved $6000 off a Passat as they were easier to get. As I said in my case the accessories/options are top dollar RRP so you just have to determine where the dealer is cutting the price.
They will try and minimise the stamp duty/gst to get your business and seal the deal. Fleet discount always saves haggling but persistence will win out as if you are prepared to buy a VW, all the dealers pay the same price unless they get a kick back for volume. Work out a fair price and try a dealer out, then be prepared to walk out and tell them to call you when they are willing to lower their price. The trouble is some public just offer top dollar so us scrooges have competition and the dealer knows this. I expect with better supply things will get better, but so up goes the price. My auto went up $800 in Feb 2009.

bxpressiv
06-06-2009, 06:49 PM
Exciting news for me is I bought a black TIGUAN.....set of number plates. I figured while I wait to purchase my car I may as well buy the personalised plates to go with it. So if later in the year you're driving in VIC and you see a white Tig with TIGUAN plates it's probably me. It's the dream...

Sanman
06-06-2009, 06:55 PM
you're driving in VIC and you see a white Tig with TIGUAN plates it's probably me

If you're driving in VIC and you see a Tig with a silver TIGUAN badge, then that's probably me. ;)

bxpressiv
06-06-2009, 07:11 PM
lol if you see me walking on the side of the road carrying the plates gimme a lift. :driver:

tiguan_hunting
07-06-2009, 08:07 PM
Exciting news for me is I bought a black TIGUAN.....set of number plates. I figured while I wait to purchase my car I may as well buy the personalised plates to go with it. So if later in the year you're driving in VIC and you see a white Tig with TIGUAN plates it's probably me. It's the dream...
How much did you get them for?

bxpressiv
07-06-2009, 09:00 PM
$295 which isn't bad considering customised plates are $495 new from Vicroads. STUD1 was already taken*.

*...obviously I kid

DJY
08-06-2009, 08:34 AM
great price - getting a unique name plate here in the ACT costs over $2000!!!!

Personalised plates (two letters & three numbers) $359
Name plates (given name or surname) $721
Unique plates (include car models, nicknames) $2181
Numeric plates (eg. just a number on it) $721 - $5303

bxpressiv
08-06-2009, 08:40 AM
Holy moly, that's really expensive! I noticed in different states they also do annual fees as well. I guess Vicroads has chosen that price point for higher volume for better total profit