PDA

View Full Version : Brisbane RNS510 owners

brh1978
26-05-2009, 01:24 PM
Asking a bit of a one VW owner to another VW owner favour, I hope someone can help me out...

I'm thinking of purchasing a genuine RNS510 without AU maps (I wish I ordered my Tig with the RNS now), I would need to pop someone's map DVD into my unit to download the AU maps...if you can help me out and you are in Brisbane area can you please PM me?

Thanks in advance!

DJY
26-05-2009, 09:10 PM
Hey mate
I'll be interested to see how you go, and what you pay for a genuine RNS510.

I'm also strongly considering putting it in my 147TSI...
and as expensive (read overpriced) as I think the VW option is - I'm leaning that way for a few reasons.

Arctra
01-06-2009, 10:50 PM
I'm thinking of purchasing a genuine RNS510 without AU maps (I wish I ordered my Tig with the RNS now)

Hey brh1978

I see you have Park assist on your Tig. Can you tell me how well your post-install of the RNS510 plays with the sensors? Does it display the Tig with all eight sensors and their approximate distance from objects like the factory installed ones do, or does it show nothing at all?

And have you installed a reversing camera as well? If so, do you know if it automagically displays the reference lines and curved reference lines when you're turning like the factory installed unit does?

If so, I reckon this unit is VERY tempting rather than the AVC9000 (or whatever it's called). And doing it after taking delivery for much less than adding it as an option is a bonus.

I also wonder what operating system the unit runs on and whether you'd be able to install something like Tomtom on it :???:

brh1978
02-06-2009, 11:31 AM
I've put the upgrade on hold for a while as it is an expensive project...talked myself out of it...maybe if TMC worked with the RNS it would be a no brainer but it doesn't...

High-Fidelity is full steam ahead with his retrofit project plus he's all geared up with a vagcom kit...lets see how his upgrade goes as he has park assist too.

Another problem is if you've got dynaudio it's not a plug and play swap, you need to make some minor updates via vagcom, i'm pretty confident the OPS will just work.

I wouldn't bother with the camera as I like the OPS, it does the trick!

High-Fidelity
02-06-2009, 12:23 PM
T-4 hours and counting to pick it up!

The last half a day has been worse than the previous 5 weeks. I'm pretty sure I didn't get this excited about my last car!!

If I can stop driving it for 5 minutes after I've picked it up and installed the RNS-510, I'll post an update! :)

High-Fidelity
03-06-2009, 07:13 AM
Parking sensor display works as per the photo above. No changes needed to enable it or anything, it just worked. Haven't got the RVC but reports on vwnavi.com indicate that it is possible, but a calibration may be required. Not sure what the calibration involves though.