PDA

View Full Version : Oil Change

DIDZ
23-12-2006, 06:40 PM
Hi All,

Since the VW booklet doesn't say how much oil is required to change oil with the oil filter - does anybody here know ?

Cheers.

s14s2a
23-12-2006, 11:12 PM
Hi All,

Since the VW booklet doesn't say how much oil is required to change oil with the oil filter - does anybody here know ?

Cheers.

Depends on the model.

The MkIV GTI requires 4.5lt on a oil change when you replace the filter.
On that note, stick to genuine VW oil filters and try to avoid the repco etc ones as they may reduce the oil pressure in your engine.

Good luck, and have fun keeping all of the old oil off the air con hoses!!! :)

gtimk5
23-12-2006, 11:16 PM
I use Mann filters which are the same as the original. And I definately agree, dont use Ryco or otherwise!!! Cheers, Andrew :)

s14s2a
23-12-2006, 11:27 PM
I use Mann filters which are the same as the original. And I definately agree, dont use Ryco or otherwise!!! Cheers, Andrew :)

Ive noticed a few people use the man ones.
Where do you buy/order them from,are they cheaper than the 'slightly' over priced VW dealer ones???

And what is the part #

Cheers ;)

syncro
24-12-2006, 07:02 AM
Are the dealer ones dearer?

gtimk5
24-12-2006, 07:42 AM
A lot of the better independent VW workshops would stock them, I am sure.They might have Hengst which are fine as well. I only stock Mann for the VWs though. Christmas Cheers, Andrew:)

DIDZ
24-12-2006, 09:19 AM
A lot of the better independent VW workshops would stock them, I am sure.They might have Hengst which are fine as well. I only stock Mann for the VWs though. Christmas Cheers, Andrew:)

I've just acquired a MKIV and looking to do all the little things I can do between the big services.

Looks like I buggered up - will be taking it back for refund at Autobahn. The filter did look bloody small in comparison with the original...

Now, to find one of those Mann filters.

Have a Merry Christmas!

gpk_gti
25-12-2006, 08:16 AM
you can get the mann ones ,cheap st South Yarra parts at Alexandria Sydney.just got the contact details off the net,
HSY Auto Parts41 Birmingham St Alexandria 2015(02) 8339 8339
I change my oil every 5000kms,did the same with my Vr6 and never had any issues with the motor.Stops any risk of the dreaded sticky sludge:)

Tim
25-12-2006, 08:37 AM
I get hengst ones from imparts. From what i understand hengst are the manufacturers of the OEM ones arent they?

MK2 GTI
25-12-2006, 10:42 AM

We stock mann and hengst, sometimes genuine when vw ring us up and sell them cheaper.

DIDZ
27-12-2006, 05:25 PM
Thanks for your help guys.

I've got the filter - getting the old one off is an absolute pain in the arse.

It is worse than a vice like grip, I reckon I would have snapped the thing off I had a good hold and twisted as hard as I could with my hands underneath.

Have any of you guys bought the part (VAS 3417) to remove the bloody thing ?

The oil is out, changing the filter seems to be the most elusive thing.

And I thought the filter on my old car was hard to remove.......

william
27-12-2006, 07:22 PM
I have the tool whats your location?

DIDZ
28-12-2006, 08:21 AM
I have the tool whats your location?

Hey Champ!

I'm in south-west Sydney! (between Liverpool and Campbelltown).

Calling McGrath Volkswagen to see what price my liver is worth in exchange for the part. :o

Edit: Did not require to dispense with my liver, apparently VW don't sell parts like that. URGH.

Bug_racer
28-12-2006, 09:24 AM
I have the tool sitting at home , hardly use it . Better off getting a se of large multi-grips

william
28-12-2006, 10:35 AM
pm me with your number let me know because will be around that area sometime this week

Campaign
28-12-2006, 10:49 AM
Interesting comments about VW oil filters — I've been buying them from the VW dealer (Burwin) because they are cheaper than the Mann & Hengst ones – for Mk1 Golf and T3 Caravelle.

DIDZ
28-12-2006, 11:46 AM
I have the tool sitting at home , hardly use it . Better off getting a se of large multi-grips

Thanks - I got one of those, it multi gripped alright - three indent marks and the grips on the outside are screwed.

syncro
28-12-2006, 04:37 PM
Interesting comments about VW oil filters — I've been buying them from the VW dealer (Burwin) because they are cheaper than the Mann & Hengst ones – for Mk1 Golf and T3 Caravelle.

And they have a warranty.

gpk_gti
29-12-2006, 07:57 AM
And they have a warranty.
as long as its fitted by them???

syncro
29-12-2006, 02:45 PM
as long as its fitted by them???
Nope! If the filter fails, they replace the engine.

gpk_gti
30-12-2006, 11:36 AM
im sure if its from a "dealer" or a reputable parts supplier they will all warrenty their parts.I really dont believe that a "dealer" is any better than anyone else.From my personal experience I wouldnt trust anyone that has a "AUTHORISED" badge.maybe when we catch up at the cruise I could tell you some stories of the "dealers":o