PDA

View Full Version : Swapping ECUs

gmx
25-05-2009, 06:47 PM
I thought I'd post here as VWWC seems to have helpful knowledgeable hands on people... (well, let's see :))

Car is a 00 A4 1.8T.
It is DBC

I have two ECUs with the exact same numbers: 8D0 907 558 DA.
When I swap the new one in I get the immobilizer symbol flashing.

1) How do you recode the ECU Immobilizer?

I've tried following Ross Tech's article here:
http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/cars/immobilizer2.html

but could not get it to work.... I'm using VAG 409.1 with a generic USB (FTDI Serial chipset) cable.

Any pointers?

h100vw
25-05-2009, 07:47 PM
What are you seeing happen, anything. Is that version of VAG-COM giving you full access to everything or is it unlicensed?

You might want a licensed copy to do what you need.

Gavin

gmx
25-05-2009, 08:05 PM
let's assume I'm using a licensed version.

Occasionally I do get errors where VAGCOM says "you need blabla to access this function" etc - I was thinking this could communication errors.

So that method should definitely work? What if I don't login and go straight to adaption (this is what I have been doing).

I have no clue as to what the login or PIN could be or how to find them apart from dealer.

Jmac
25-05-2009, 09:08 PM
Have you erased the learned values????????
Jmac

Bug_racer
25-05-2009, 09:11 PM
I dont think you can swap v3 Immobiliser ecu's over without the 4 / 7 digit pin , I think its only referring to V2 Immobiliser

gmx
25-05-2009, 09:49 PM
I dont think you can swap v3 Immobiliser ecu's over without the 4 / 7 digit pin , I think its only referring to V2 Immobiliser

So these ECUs (from a B5) are Immo 3?

I was led to believe they are Immo 2.
Some UK boards mention Immo 2 but none are clear.

The only code I get is related to immobilizer - engine start blocked.

Jmac

I'm not familiar with learned values.

All I've done is check the softcode of the ECU and they match. I'm just stuck on the Immobilizer part.

Guy_H
26-05-2009, 11:47 AM
558DA uses imob 2 - you can switch ECU's easily with adaptaption. No login required. There was a writeup (long time ago) on Ozaudi.

We carry a spare ECU in stock already chipped.

gmx
26-05-2009, 06:33 PM
Ok, I"ll search for it and give it another try tonight.

Jmac
26-05-2009, 08:13 PM
Jmac

This vehicle is right on the cusp. What i meant with the learnt values was if you have VCDS ( Vagcom) then in the immob ecu via 25 address word then adapt channel 10. This is when you prompt 00 to erase the learnt value. The engine ecu will be identified then. If it is on the newer side then you will need the SKC for the encoding, someone with VAGTACHO can pull that from the dash mate.
Cheers
JImmy

gmx
26-05-2009, 10:49 PM
This vehicle is right on the cusp. What i meant with the learnt values was if you have VCDS ( Vagcom) then in the immob ecu via 25 address word then adapt channel 10. This is when you prompt 00 to erase the learnt value. The engine ecu will be identified then. If it is on the newer side then you will need the SKC for the encoding, someone with VAGTACHO can pull that from the dash mate.
Cheers
JImmy

Jimmy,
What's cusp?
I don't have VCDS, IIRC that's the 809 version with the "smart" cable.
I'm using 409.1 with the USB/Serial emulated cable. Is this a problem?

What's the website for vagtacho?
I found a site offering download links but also said it costs 339euros shipped (umm...?) I think it sounds shady and not taking the risk to open it.

I"ll try method outlined by Ross tech for Immo2 again with another laptop.

gmx
27-05-2009, 12:33 AM
Alright I tried again with Ross-tech's instructions.
It does the read/save fine with no errors.
Turn off the ignition for up to 5minutes and it still will not start or align the immo/ID.

Will this work?
http://www.goapr.com.au/support/immobilizer.html
I will give it a try.

Btw this ECU is from the UK, but the softcoding is all the same (as well as the ECU number). Maybe you should know??

gmx
27-05-2009, 07:08 PM
Check out this post:
http://www.ozaudi.com/forums/showpost.php?p=169845&postcount=33

Specifically: terminal 30 reading low voltage

I get this as well with the other ECU. Is it faulty? Can it be repaired?

h100vw
27-05-2009, 07:15 PM
Check out this post:
http://www.ozaudi.com/forums/showpost.php?p=169845&postcount=33

Specifically: terminal 30 reading low voltage

I get this as well with the other ECU. Is it faulty? Can it be repaired?

The ECU recognises that you unplugged it with the battery connected, that's all. Delete that code and it'll stay away.

Gavin