PDA

View Full Version : Roof Rack Cross bars VW geniune bars

Bayman
25-05-2009, 06:21 PM
Has any Tiguan owner out there bought cross bars for their Tiguan?

I checked the price of the Geniune VW part and they are asking $440 but my friendly parts man will do them for $390. Are there any after market good bars that are made for them like Rhino etc?

I would be happy to get VW if they are only a bit dearer but I have know idea.
One reason to get the geniune ones would be for insurance purposes as if the sunroof was damaged by the bars. Also if they are made in Germany the quality would be tops I hope. The deaker has got them in stock and I will check them out tomorrow and see if they are worth getting.

I guess for the cost they are better value than the MDI (jus a few cables).

I got the reversible boot mat and that is made in Germany and top quality well worth it. Stops things slipping around too on the rubber side. Extends to cover the drink holder when the seats are down.

Bayman.

Arctra
25-05-2009, 06:26 PM
Hey Bayman

I was just asking the same sort of question earlier this afternoon. I'll put my post in here and delete my old post to prevent duplication:

Has anyone got roof racks for their Tig yet? I need to get some for my girlfriend's kayak.

I saw some Genuine VW bars on eBay (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150347185875) but frankly they look hideous to me. I'm looking for something sleeker, more aerodynamic, and in keeping with the look of the vehicle.

I have Rola's on my Bora which look nice, and looking up what they have for the Tig the RBX135/RBXL135 are recommended, but chatting with a guy at Roof Rack World he's unsure they'll work with the panoramic sunroof. He doesn't have any in stock for me to just test with, so hopefully one of you can answer.

Bayman
25-05-2009, 06:36 PM
How much you want for the black set? Are they OEM for the Tiguan roof bars?

Bayman
25-05-2009, 06:37 PM
Hey Bayman

I was just asking the same sort of question earlier this afternoon. I'll put my post in here and delete my old post to prevent duplication:

Just posted a thread myself, sorry. The seller on ebay is interesting. I can get them for $390, I agree they look a bit non aero dynamic but I think the sunroof is the factor here in the look to allow extra clearance. Mind you I only want to use them for timber/hardware or maybe a POD carrier but the VW POD is $1100 so I would be desperate to use theirs. If you can pick his up on auction for less than $300 I guess they are a good buy. I will check the after market manufacturers tomorrow and prices at work and post the data here, unless someone hopefully has done the ground work for us. I will inspect the VW ones tomorrow and see where they are made.

Bayman

RhysQ
25-05-2009, 06:45 PM
HAHAHA....sorry epic fail by me. These bars are for Touareg....Massive brain fry. I'll go hang myself now.

Sorry guys.

Bayman
25-05-2009, 07:38 PM
HAHAHA....sorry epic fail by me. These bars are for Touareg....Massive brain fry. I'll go hang myself now.

Sorry guys.

No probs, at least your'e honest. They looked heaps better than the Tiguan ones on ebay. Also thanks as I am not sure whether the OEM Tiguan bars come in Black and/or Silver, they should as the 147KW Tig has silver bars, the 105TDI & 125KW TSI are black racks.

Bayman
25-05-2009, 08:43 PM
I have checked the web and Rola have three models:

RBU 11s $277
http://www.rola.com.au/rola/prodimages/rackrbuf1.jpg

RBXL135 $299
http://www.rola.com.au/rola/prodimages/rackrbxl.gif

RE 131 $289

http://www.rola.com.au/rola/prodimages/rerb.jpg

Rhino have two models

Roof Rack type: Sportz / SXB Price (inc GST): $289.00
Load Rating: 80kg

Roof Rack type: Heavy Duty / CXB Price (inc GST): $298.00
Load Rating: 80kg These look like the OEM type.

I prefer the Sportz type for looks and aerodynamics.

Now has anyone got any of these or used them or recommend any?

The OEM seem a rip off at $100 more.

Arctra
25-05-2009, 09:44 PM
Rola RBXL135 $299
http://www.rola.com.au/rola/prodimages/rackrbxl.gif

Rhino Sportz / SXB Price (inc GST): $289.00
Load Rating: 80kg

The Rola RBXL135 would be my first choice as they are sleeker and closer fitting to the car. I also don't like bits sticking out the side of the rails like the Rhino's do. Only problem with them might be the sunroof hitting them :eek:

As a second choice the Rhino Sportz SXB aren't too bad except for the bits sticking out the side of the rails. They look high enough off the roof to avoid the sunroof hitting them too.

Will just have to see when someone has a chance to test them and give feedback!

Bayman
25-05-2009, 09:53 PM
The Rola RBXL135 would be my first choice as they are sleeker and closer fitting to the car. I also don't like bits sticking out the side of the rails like the Rhino's do. Only problem with them might be the sunroof hitting them :eek:

As a second choice the Rhino Sportz SXB aren't too bad except for the bits sticking out the side of the rails. They look high enough off the roof to avoid the sunroof hitting them too.

I might email Rola and get confirmation they will operate OK with the sunroof fitted. I agree they look the best and as we all know, we tend to leave these things on our cars as the hassle to pull them off.

Hopefully someone has seen a Tig with a set on, especially as the snow season approaches.

Bayman
103 TDI
Blk Leather, Comfort Pk, Fogs, S/roof,MDI, Tow Bar,New York Wheels,Park Assist, Candy White.

Bayman
25-05-2009, 10:17 PM

One must note the Rhino Heavy duty model CXB although ugly does meet Tested to AS1235-2000 so I guess this is why Telstra Wagons use thes Rhino bars to comply with OH & S regulations. I wonder why the other bars were not quoted as meeting the Aust Standard.

Bayman.
Tiguan 103 TDI

Arctra
26-05-2009, 12:55 PM
Hi guys

I just went to Roof Rack World in Artarmon (Sydney) as the guy there gave me a call to say another customers Rola's had arrived and I could test them quickly.

The good news is that if you don't have a sunroof these bars are awesome and look the part on your Tig. The bad news is that if you have a sunroof, the Rola RBX135/RBXL135 is a no-go. As you can see in the images they touch the roof when it opens and when it is in the fully open state:

The Thule RT755's do fit without touching the roof, however IMO they look ungainly and only come in silver so contrast with my black Tig. At the back you cannot fit them in the manufacturer's position over the holes as the mounting brackets affect the roof when it's fully open (as you can see in the images):

They don't have anything aerodynamic like the Rola's that will fit the Tig with the sunroof either which is disappointing. :frown:

Hope this helps.

Bayman
26-05-2009, 08:47 PM
I asked Rola whether they fit the Tiguan and sunroofs, this is their confusing
and uninformative reply:-

The below are the racks that will suit your car, a RBXL 135 is not designed for your car.

We have not tested compatibility of our products with Tiguan fitted with factory sunroof & cannot offer a recommendation on suitability.

If you can advise what area you live in, I may be able to suggest a fitter who can give you advise on fitment with sunroof

TIGUAN Wgn 5d
5/08 on SPORTS Rail Bars RB135 2 bars 80 Suits Factory Rails
EXTENDED Rail Extended RE131 2 bars 80 Suits Factory Rails
UNIVERSAL Rail Bars RBU11S 2 bars ROM Suits Factory Rails

Vivian Cameron
Customer Service - Rola

Arctra
27-05-2009, 10:08 AM
If I have to have ugly bars on, I at least want to be able to quickly put them on and remove them. Does anyone know of quick release rails for other vehicles so I can investigate whether they are available for the Tig?

Johnno
27-05-2009, 10:35 AM
The below are the racks that will suit your car, a RBXL 135 is not designed for your car.

That's weird, on the Rola website you can drop down VW and Tiguan from their menu and the RBLX is an option. Maybe she means that the RBXL isn't designed to fit with the sunroof.

Other than that, it looks like a standard ar$e-covering letter - go see the fitter and test your own product before damaging your own car and trying to sue Rola :biggrin:

Bayman
27-05-2009, 11:58 PM
That's weird, on the Rola website you can drop down VW and Tiguan from their menu and the RBLX is an option. Maybe she means that the RBXL isn't designed to fit with the sunroof.

Other than that, it looks like a standard ar$e-covering letter - go see the fitter and test your own product before damaging your own car and trying to sue Rola :biggrin:

Thanks all for the info and the photos, great stuff.

I went to my local VW dealer and inspected the VW original bars. They even had a new delivered Tiguan with the VW bars on but the hopeless dealer had not only misfitted the rear bar (locating pins were not in the bar holes) but the drips had not inserted the rubber strip in the channels on each cross bar. Poor person will be upset to take delivery!

My observations of this bar is as follows:

Made in Germany
Mounts have rubber on the top but not on clamps so it might mark the roof bars, needs some further protection I feel.
Silver bar not black
Slightly ugly but practical, front edge has a curve on it.
Side plastic shrouders clip over locking mechanism
Rubber strip is nicely made and good aluminium bar quality
Uses locating holes in roof racks so easy to put on /off I guess.
MOST IMPORTANTLY it has 4 plastic guards under the front bar to guard against the sunroof hitting it I guess. It looks to higher enough to clear it though but I can't confirm.

So there you have it!

tiguan_hunting
28-05-2009, 11:13 AM
Thanks all for the info and the photos, great stuff.

I went to my local VW dealer and inspected the VW original bars. They even had a new delivered Tiguan with the VW bars on but the hopeless dealer had not only misfitted the rear bar (locating pins were not in the bar holes) but the drips had not inserted the rubber strip in the channels on each cross bar. Poor person will be upset to take delivery!

My observations of this bar is as follows:

Made in Germany
Mounts have rubber on the top but not on clamps so it might mark the roof bars, needs some further protection I feel.
Silver bar not black
Slightly ugly but practical, front edge has a curve on it.
Side plastic shrouders clip over locking mechanism
Rubber strip is nicely made and good aluminium bar quality
Uses locating holes in roof racks so easy to put on /off I guess.
MOST IMPORTANTLY it has 4 plastic guards under the front bar to guard against the sunroof hitting it I guess. It looks to higher enough to clear it though but I can't confirm.

So there you have it!
Bayman, I see that you are located in Melbourne as well. Can you tell me which dealer you went to? I would like to see them myself as well.
Thanks

Bayman
28-05-2009, 11:34 AM
Bayman, I see that you are located in Melbourne as well. Can you tell me which dealer you went to? I would like to see them myself as well.
Thanks

CAMBERWELL VW (Bayford), it was a TSI with silver roof racks as well, but it was still in the showroom last night but probably be delivered today I would guess. Give them a call.

Arctra
01-06-2009, 11:10 AM
I ended up bidding on those genuine Tig bars on eBay and won them for $250.

Fitted them yesterday and have to say that although I still think they're ugly, they aren't as bad as I anticipated. Fitting them was quite quick and simple which is good, but they certainly aren't "quick release" as they require a special torque tool to make sure you tighten them on properly to carry their 100kg rated load. With practice I should be able to put them on and take them off quite quickly.

The clearance above the sunroof is ridiculously large. They could have made the bars a lot lower and sleeker looking and still had adequate clearance. They have a groove along the length of the bar for sliding in your holders. I have Rola Kayak cradles and they slot in perfectly, so the grooves must be an industry standard.

If you want pics or any further info please let me know.

Bayman
01-06-2009, 08:43 PM
Looks like you got a bargain. The best price I can get them for is $370 and nearly bid for them but then they would cost me $290 with freight so I was undecided to outlay that much just yet. You must have picked them up.
I didn't notice that they were so high but I 'll admit they look a bit geriatric compared to sleeker models.
Do the clamps mark your black bars or are yours silver. I noticed they have rubber to protect the vertical load but the clamp section appeared to be bare painted metal so all there is to protect marking the bars is paint. The rubber strips on the front bar must be for the glass protection but if the bar is so high is that then over engineering Germans at work?

I would be interested to hear how they go and travelling noise. I reckon at least using geniune products, you have some comeback on VW if they fail within any prescribed load.

Thanks for the info.

Arctra
01-06-2009, 10:31 PM
Looks like you got a bargain. <snip> You must have picked them up.
<snip>
Do the clamps mark your black bars or are yours silver. I noticed they have rubber to protect the vertical load but the clamp section appeared to be bare painted metal so all there is to protect marking the bars is paint. The rubber strips on the front bar must be for the glass protection but if the bar is so high is that then over engineering Germans at work?

I would be interested to hear how they go and travelling noise. I reckon at least using geniune products, you have some comeback on VW if they fail within any prescribed load.

Well, a "bargain" if you compare them to the original VW price, but compared to other bars they are about what you'd pay for new ones. I did go pick them up rather than post as Colo Vale isn't too far from Sydney and I wanted to do another decent drive :biggrin:

The clamps don't have any rubber protection and my rails are black, so marking is a concern. I'll be taking them off this weekend as I'm doing a long trip up north through the Thunderbolt Way and don't need the drag/noise from them. Travelling with them today I have to say I didn't notice a noise. Considering how far they are from teh roof that's probably not a surprise though! :)

tiguan_hunting
03-06-2009, 10:31 PM
I ended up bidding on those genuine Tig bars on eBay and won them for $250.

Fitted them yesterday and have to say that although I still think they're ugly, they aren't as bad as I anticipated. Fitting them was quite quick and simple which is good, but they certainly aren't "quick release" as they require a special torque tool to make sure you tighten them on properly to carry their 100kg rated load. With practice I should be able to put them on and take them off quite quickly.

The clearance above the sunroof is ridiculously large. They could have made the bars a lot lower and sleeker looking and still had adequate clearance. They have a groove along the length of the bar for sliding in your holders. I have Rola Kayak cradles and they slot in perfectly, so the grooves must be an industry standard.

If you want pics or any further info please let me know.
Arctra,
Any chance of getting some pictures of those roof racks please? I'm thinking of getting one myself.
Has any tried the Rhino SXB3? According to Autobarn they reckon it will fit the sunroof.
Thanks!

Arctra
04-06-2009, 01:25 PM
No problem. Here are the pics I took with my camera phone. Let me know if you want any other angles

From front with sunroof closed:

Front bards with key on sunroof to give you an idea of the bars clearance:

With the plastic end-cap off so you can see a bit of the assembly:

The other side with the end-cap off so you can see how the clip grips the rail. As you can see it'll be fairly difficult to put any form of protection on the rail other than a thin film of plastic/insulation tape possibly:

Front bar with the sunroof open. As you can see, there is tons of clearance!

Hope this helps!

tiguan_hunting
04-06-2009, 09:32 PM
Thanks Actra. I'm gonna try some generic ones first. Failing that I might just get the genuine ones.

tiguan_hunting
14-06-2009, 10:57 PM
Hi Actra,
How are you finding the cross bars? Do you get a lot of wind noise from them? I had a look at Thule and Rhino and they look like they will fit. They both look a lot lower than the genune ones. I'm just wondering how aerodynamic the genuine ones are. Like what you mentioned earlier the genuine seem quite high, more than what is required.

Arctra
15-06-2009, 09:33 AM
Hi Actra,
How are you finding the cross bars? Do you get a lot of wind noise from them? I had a look at Thule and Rhino and they look like they will fit. They both look a lot lower than the genune ones. I'm just wondering how aerodynamic the genuine ones are. Like what you mentioned earlier the genuine seem quite high, more than what is required.

Hey tiguan_hunting

For the Queens Birthday weekend I took them off as I was doing about 1300km’s of driving and didn’t want the extra drag. I can say that I didn’t notice and wind noise while I had the on though. I think this is probably because they are high enough off the roof for it to be noticeable, and the bars are reasonably aerodynamic. Even if they were closer to the roof I don’t think they’d make much noticeable noise either as there are enough other noise generating items on the vehicle for it to blend into.

My biggest issue with them is that they are an eye sore. They just stick out way too much. In all other respects I am happy with them. They are quick and easy to attach and detach, strong, and allow universal attachments such as my Rola kayak cradles to be attached. If only the fitted a little closer to the roof and were in keeping with the look of the Tig.

If you had to ask me whether to go aftermarket or genuine, I’d say aftermarket, though I am satisfied with mine.

Hope that helps you.

NZTiguan
15-06-2009, 10:46 AM
You certainly want to take them off when you're not using them cos they make an appreciable difference to your fuel consumption believe it or not !! So, imho the ability to remove and refit them quickly would be an absolute must.

Cheers

tiguan_hunting
22-06-2009, 09:27 PM
Hi Arctra,

Since you last send me the pictures of your genuine roof racks (and thanks for them again) I've been to a couple of places to try and install some after market brands. The Thule 755 which I think you tried them on and it did fit but the rear rack had to be set back quite a bit because of the clearance for the sunroof. However I have found that Prorack S16 with fitting K328 will fit the Tig with sunroof with plenty of clearance but it does look a lot more streamline and neat compared to the genuine VW racks. It sits much lower than the genuine ones but high enough for the sunroof to open and close with ample space. This Prorack ones are the Whispbar series which Prorack argues are the quitest roof racks available. The one thing that the Thule 755 has that Prorack doesn't is the ease of installing and removing them. With the Thule you can easily tighten the rack with your hands without any tools. This is incorporated with the locking key. But the Prorack is a 2 step process. First remove the the outer casing with the key provided. Then use an allan key to undo the racks. Retail price for them is $329. The other thing about this Prorack series is that you can take it with you and use it one other cars. All you have to do is to purchase a different fitting kit. Cost about $45 rather than buying a whole different set of racks.

I've called around and it seems everyone is selling these racks for $329. But I never believe in paying full price. If anyone knows where I can get a good deal would appreciate if you could post the details. Also if anyone is using these Prorack cross bars would appreciate if you could post some feedback.
Thanks.

JimmyGS
21-09-2009, 09:32 PM
Hi Arctra,

Since you last send me the pictures of your genuine roof racks (and thanks for them again) I've been to a couple of places to try and install some after market brands. The Thule 755 which I think you tried them on and it did fit but the rear rack had to be set back quite a bit because of the clearance for the sunroof. However I have found that Prorack S16 with fitting K328 will fit the Tig with sunroof with plenty of clearance but it does look a lot more streamline and neat compared to the genuine VW racks. It sits much lower than the genuine ones but high enough for the sunroof to open and close with ample space. This Prorack ones are the Whispbar series which Prorack argues are the quitest roof racks available. The one thing that the Thule 755 has that Prorack doesn't is the ease of installing and removing them. With the Thule you can easily tighten the rack with your hands without any tools. This is incorporated with the locking key. But the Prorack is a 2 step process. First remove the the outer casing with the key provided. Then use an allan key to undo the racks. Retail price for them is $329. The other thing about this Prorack series is that you can take it with you and use it one other cars. All you have to do is to purchase a different fitting kit. Cost about $45 rather than buying a whole different set of racks.

I've called around and it seems everyone is selling these racks for $329. But I never believe in paying full price. If anyone knows where I can get a good deal would appreciate if you could post the details. Also if anyone is using these Prorack cross bars would appreciate if you could post some feedback.
Thanks.

Hi Tiguan Hunting,
I have fitted the Prorack Whispbar S16 with fitting Kit. After doing a little research, I went to Roof Rack Superstore who recomended these as the Thule 755 was not suitable because of the clearance of the sunroof. The Prorack bar is far more streamlined when compared to the genuine VW racks. Infact my VW dealer asked me where I got them from! The best price I could do was $329 fitted but they did discount the Ski carrier by 30%.

Sanman
21-09-2009, 09:54 PM
Funnily enough I looked up this thread just yesterday:
Summary:
Thule RT755 $329 (very close fit with sunroof, easy to fit)
Prorack whisperbar $329 (fits with sunroof, harder to fit)
Rola RBX135/RBXL135 (no sunroof)
Appears no-one discounts roofracks (what a business!)
I am tracking down the Melb roofrack manufacturer that makes the Territory racks in the hope they can provide something suitable for less cost.
Pls post if you've found a company that offers good prices AND good service.

Ricardo
16-11-2009, 07:31 PM
Searching for roof racks for our Tiiguan which should be on the ship. Has anyone tried the prorack s53? Are the prorack racks as quiet as they claim? I prefer the ones that dont stick out to the side ie they fit between the rails although I guess you can carry less. Also because of the smaller boot we may need a roof pod has anyone had good or bad experiences with roof pods?

http://www.prorack-international.com/au/Find-my-car/

jimbomort
16-11-2009, 09:10 PM
WE got the Rola RBX135/RBXL135 racks (the sportier of the two in profile, but we dont have the sunroof)

Can put prices and picks as mounted on here later this week if people are interested (i am away the next day or two)

in summary they were $200 odd, are pretty quiet but I have noticed some noise.

overall we are quite happy with, but they are not real quick to get on and off and you are a bit limited in where you mount them on the tigs bars, as the distance b/w the bars on the tigs varies quite a lot along the length of the car.

I am thinking of taking them off when not in use, to test the noise theory and I do wonder how the effect on fuel economy (of any bars, not just these) is significant (as I have read it can be).

Anyway happy to add pics and $ late this week if people interested

Ricardo
17-11-2009, 07:22 PM
Thanks for your comments jimbomort. I would be interested to see your pictures.

sumi
16-03-2010, 11:38 AM
Yeah .. i'm looking for the roof racks for tiguan..

which one is better? any one can give me some advice?:banana::banana::banana:

1.PRORACKS

Whispbar S53bar , it is quiet. $299
http://www.sumifoto.com/sumi/tiguan/1.jpg

X53bar, it is cheaper.. supercheap's 25% off only $169
http://www.sumifoto.com/sumi/tiguan/2.jpg

Whispbar is worth to buy? it cost more than $130 than X53 ..

2.other is rola's
rbxl 135..$289 ..
http://www.sumifoto.com/sumi/tiguan/3.jpg

team_v
16-03-2010, 11:39 AM
Thule roofracks > anything.
Look into these.

sumi
16-03-2010, 11:40 AM
Thule roofracks > anything.
Look into these.

are u sure ? i will look...

in the thule website..i think it is too high ..

http://www.sumifoto.com/sumi/tiguan/4.jpg

ChrisJ
16-03-2010, 01:43 PM
are u sure ? i will look...

in the thule website..i think it is too high ..

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/

I've just put the Thule Aero Bars on mine, I think they look ok and the quality is really good. Quite easy to put on / take off. Main reason I got these is I needed the extra width for my kayaks.

I'll post a photo later.

147Tig
16-03-2010, 06:01 PM
I've just put the Thule Aero Bars on mine...

ChrisJ, do you have a sunroof? My Tig has sunroof and I'm tossing up between Whispbar S53bar and Thule Aero. My main reason for the roof rack is to have the Luggage Box.

Achtung Tiggy
16-03-2010, 06:56 PM
ChrisJ, do you have a sunroof? My Tig has sunroof and I'm tossing up between Whispbar S53bar and Thule Aero. My main reason for the roof rack is to have the Luggage Box.

I think I've seen this in another thread somewhere. If you have a sunroof, the only one that fits (besides the OEM) is Prorack.

Thule has a better selection of luggage boxes so I'm hoping they can fit on Prorack bars.

ChrisJ
17-03-2010, 07:58 AM

No I don't have a sunroof.

I just measured the clearance from the roof to the underside of the bar, it is 60mm, this is the minimum in the centre.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2010/03/2zeeyol-1.jpg

ChrisJ
18-03-2010, 01:46 PM
I think I've seen this in another thread somewhere. If you have a sunroof, the only one that fits (besides the OEM) is Prorack.

Thule has a better selection of luggage boxes so I'm hoping they can fit on Prorack bars.

Just saw (out of the 6 or 7 Tigs I just saw in Balmain in under an hour) a 147 with a sunroof with the Thule Aero bars.

Achtung Tiggy
18-03-2010, 02:56 PM
Just saw (out of the 6 or 7 Tigs I just saw in Balmain in under an hour) a 147 with a sunroof with the Thule Aero bars.

7 in an hour? :eek: You're joking... time to get a new car!

Ok I found the post I was looking for, and it was on this thread. :duh:
Check out post #11 and #28.

Still possible to fit a Thule on a Tig with sunroof. But not recommeded because you can't fit them in the manufacturer's position and cutting things a bit fine when it comes to clearance.

Might as well go for Prorack if you have a sunroof IMO.

147Tig
18-03-2010, 03:01 PM
...Might as well go for Prorack if you have a sunroof IMO.

Is it Whispbar S53? :confused:

Achtung Tiggy
18-03-2010, 03:30 PM
Is it Whispbar S53? :confused:

No, that's the one for the Tig without sunroof.

You'll need S16 bar and K328 mount. Go to http://www.whispbar.com.au/findmycar

147Tig
18-03-2010, 03:39 PM
No, that's the one for the Tig without sunroof.

You'll need S16 bar and K328 mount. Go to http://www.whispbar.com.au/findmycar

Thanks Achtung, now I just have to find a place that carry them, I think TJM have them :rolleyes:

ChrisJ
18-03-2010, 04:13 PM
7 in an hour? :eek: You're joking... time to get a new car!

Hey they are so common around here they have taken over the liberty and forester (I'm glad I don't see too many of them they are so damn ugly now)

I even saw one drive past my house same colour, same model, number plate same except for the last letter...

Achtung Tiggy
18-03-2010, 10:13 PM
Thanks Achtung, now I just have to find a place that carry them, I think TJM have them :rolleyes:

No worries! Let us know when you've got them. I intend to get mine soon before I hit the Snowies.

147Tig
19-03-2010, 06:12 AM
No worries! Let us know when you've got them. I intend to get mine soon before I hit the Snowies.

No worry Achtung :P

Glennb
19-03-2010, 11:39 AM
I'm starting to see quite a few around Melbourne now, mostly TDI's but very few 147's. Although you have to be a bit of a fan to know the difference anyway.
Looking forward to getting our 147 delivered!:banana:

sumi
19-03-2010, 05:01 PM
hi, thanks for u guys help..

i got the rola RBXL135+360L BOX ...from REPCO $231+$299 = $530..

see the pics .~..

it is great ~

http://www.sumifoto.com/sumi/tiguan/racks/1.jpg

http://www.sumifoto.com/sumi/tiguan/racks/2.jpg

http://www.sumifoto.com/sumi/tiguan/racks/3.jpg

http://www.sumifoto.com/sumi/tiguan/racks/4.jpg

http://www.sumifoto.com/sumi/tiguan/racks/5.jpg

http://www.sumifoto.com/sumi/tiguan/racks/6.jpg

http://www.sumifoto.com/sumi/tiguan/racks/7.jpg

http://www.sumifoto.com/sumi/tiguan/racks/8.jpg

http://www.sumifoto.com/sumi/tiguan/racks/9.jpg

http://www.sumifoto.com/sumi/tiguan/racks/10.jpg

http://www.sumifoto.com/sumi/tiguan/racks/11.jpg

http://www.sumifoto.com/sumi/tiguan/racks/12.jpg

tiguanfan
27-05-2010, 03:01 PM
Does anyone have photos of the Prorack Whispbar S16 with fitting Kit on a Tig with a sunroof. We need to get roof racks for our kayaks and I'd be keen to see what they look like on the car. Cheers

JimmyGS
02-06-2010, 10:56 PM
Hi TiguanFan we have the Prorack Whispbar S16 on our Tiguan with a sunroof. They are great and clear the sunroof without a problem. I will post pics up asap.

tigger73
12-08-2012, 07:50 PM
Just in case someone is still looking for a picture of the Prorack whispbar. Sorry don't have a sunroof for those considering the bar and want to know if the clearance is OK.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/08/7764518076_97f9cf68e3_z-1.jpg

I think this is the neatest looking bar on the market. Yes you lose some width as they don't extend past the rails and yes due to the height off the roof it is a little harder to get straps/rope under (without scratching up the paintwork), however having said all that they are the best looking and super quiet so they stay on all the time.

Actually I think they finish off the 125TSI - especially in black.

JagerMarty
04-11-2012, 07:50 PM
I'm looking at getting a Hobie kayak soon and like the look of the lockable Thule racks.
Anyone here using these racks?
I'm wondering how easily they clip on and off when I don't need them.
Cheers

roscoe1974
05-11-2012, 05:05 AM
I'm looking at getting a Hobie kayak soon and like the look of the lockable Thule racks.
Anyone here using these racks?
I'm wondering how easily they clip on and off when I don't need them.
Cheers

Hey there,

Yes I'm using the Thule Racks (I don't have the Kayak/Watercraft cradles, though if they attach the same as Ski Carriers, they're VERY easy to install), and they couldn't be easier to attach in my opinion. They just latch on to the existing roof rails loosely, and you wind the little handles with the locks in until they're snug and that's it. VERY easy, and very secure. I've had the same set of cross bars for nearly 10 years, and just changed the 'feet' when I bought the Tig. Couldn't recommend them more highly. Hope that helps!

JagerMarty
05-11-2012, 06:58 AM
Sounds good, many thanks :)