PDA

View Full Version : Flappy paddle's on Tiguan

Arctra
22-05-2009, 10:28 AM
Hi guys

I know my Tig is only a day old now, but with running it in and trying to keep the revs up I've been using Tipronic a fair amount. One thing I realised is that the flappy paddle's would be great for that. The dealer mentioned it was an option (though it wasn't in the brochure).

Anyone have any idea how much it costs to get paddles? Are they normally factory fitted or dealer fitted? Any idea what functionality you have to sacrifice if you go for this option?

I did notice the indicator/wiper controls are fairly close to the wheel as it is, so there's not a hell of a lot of space for paddles. Unless they change the whole steering column when they fit it?

Would love to know if you guys know anything about this.

STV4SYT
22-05-2009, 10:50 AM
I'm pretty sure its a different steering wheel that needs to be fitted.

Transporter
22-05-2009, 12:30 PM
Check the Touareg section someone fitted flappy paddles to his Touareg

Arctra
22-05-2009, 03:33 PM
Seems it can't be :frown:
Just spoke with the dealer and they only appear to have the kit to retro-fit paddles to vehicles with DSG boxes, not Tiptronic. Pity, coz it would have been nice.

aussietig
11-03-2011, 06:01 PM
Resurrecting this thread (out of sheer excitement), as I will be having a crack at this tomorrow.

Finally found a donor who probably lost more than just a kidney overnight, when he woke up in a bath tub full of ice.

http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/1138/dsc05862z.jpghttp://img845.imageshack.us/img845/6632/dsc05863o.jpg

Anyhow please wish me luck and that everything will just work on swapover and after some simple VCDS coding.

Prodigy
11-03-2011, 06:28 PM
Am looking forward to seeing how this turns out..

99Reza
11-03-2011, 06:49 PM
Whoa someone is actually having a crack on this! I'll be watching this very closely.

Captain Bungers
11-03-2011, 09:42 PM
Anyhow please wish me luck and that everything will just work on swapover and after some simple VCDS coding.

Seriously, the best of luck with that. Much more than my little rebadge... Look forward to seeing the success :)

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk

Vince_S
11-03-2011, 09:58 PM
I will be having a crack at this tomorrow

Go Aussie!! Seriously, good luck mate. Can't wait to see if it works

Transporter
12-03-2011, 06:32 AM
There is no reason why it shouldn't be possible to make it work. It should be possible even on Tiguans with the automatic transmission, since the Touareg with the similar Asin transmission has flappy paddles.

Good luck aussietig! Keep us posted on your progress. :)

Vince_S
12-03-2011, 09:20 AM
Wonder how much hair pulling and cursing is going on right now at AussieTigs place right about now...? :D

Hoping not too much as this will be a fantastic upgrade if it works! Paddles on a Tig! Sweeeeeet!

Looks like the MK6 GTI wheel. Was this new or sourced in 2nds Aussie? I'm guessing the air came from VW directly?

Captain Bungers
12-03-2011, 02:06 PM
Wonder how much hair pulling and cursing is going on right now at AussieTigs place right about now...? :D

Exactly what I was thinking!

aussietig
12-03-2011, 10:56 PM
Not funny fellas! Especially when hair pulling included pubes as well (when I ran out on top). :mad:

Unfortunately the results from today was a fail. Couldn't bloody get anything to work based on a straight swapover and plug in! :mad:

Now I did think (perhaps naively) that the control module on a MY11 Tig would be compatible with a Mk6 Golf.

Hopefully this is just the reason why nothing's working (fingers crossed)!

Anyhow ... will be taking it to my mechanic to see if he can get it going or at least confirm that it's a control module problem only and that it's still do-able.

But if it's the latter, then it's gonna be a pain trying to source it at a good price. :facepalm:

jo8112
13-03-2011, 12:12 AM
In my understanding, you need to change the control module for MY09, MY10 models... not sure about MY11.
Tiguan community in Korea has already done the group buy&install of D-cut or cc handle with paddles..

Prodigy
13-03-2011, 01:23 AM
Sad to hear it didn't go as planned mate, lets hope it's something simple to get it to work.

Big thumbs up for giving it a go.

aussietig
13-03-2011, 06:48 AM
In my understanding, you need to change the control module for MY09, MY10 models... not sure about MY11.
Tiguan community in Korea has already done the group buy&install of D-cut or cc handle with paddles..

I am still hopeful that a new control module is not required and that the problem is just me!

Sharkie
13-03-2011, 01:07 PM
I am still hopeful that a new control module is not required and that the problem is just me!

I'm sorry to say but I believe VW does not fit the steering wheel paddle control units to cars that don't have it as an option. It is a seperate control unit that is fitted extra and in their traditional cost cutting ways, not fitted at all to Tiguans.

This will be quite expensive to fit and will likely require more than just simple VCDS coding to rectify.

Is a pity though as it would be a nice addition if easy to do.

Vince_S
14-03-2011, 08:54 AM

It is a seperate control unit that is fitted extra

Ahhh! I'm sorry to hear it didnt work out.

Found this link which may help:
VWVortex.com - DIY: Multi-Function Steering Wheel Retrofit (http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?2938601)

Looks like you may need the control module

aussietig
26-03-2011, 01:03 PM
GUESS WHAT FELLAS?

http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/5344/dsc0116yz.jpghttp://img43.imageshack.us/img43/8803/dsc0117fb.jpg

FCUKING SUCCESS FOR BOTH GUINEA PIG & TIG!

Absolutely both thrilled and relieved with the outcome.
Turns out the problem really was ME!

Seb, my mechanic was able to hook everything up and made it work.

DSG driving experience is now complete and as it should have been with flappy paddles included!

First thing you'll notice is the improved touch and sportier feel of the Mk6 Golf Steering Wheel (when compared to the Tig's)!

Smaller and more grippy!

For those of us with sweaty hands or palms, it always feels dry to touch, like it's coated with talcum powder!

And YES of course ... gear change is a real blast now!

As we all know ... shifting manually sucks in the Tig!

With the awkward angle of the shifter, together with shifting up and down being a bit Irish.

NOTE:
One thing I don't like ... buttons on the Golf MFSW are on a different angle altogether!
Tilted back and pointing upwards more than the rest of the steering wheel.

This will do for now, in terms of sharing the good news. Will post further details and more pics later, to help others source the parts and do the retrofit.

Flappy paddles steering wheel in Tiguan. (http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/f97/flappy-paddle-steering-wheel-tiguan-56968-new-post.html)

Transporter
26-03-2011, 03:48 PM
That's fantastic news. :)

I new it could be done, even Tigs with tiptronic transmissions have a chance, since the old R5 Touaregs with tiptronic transmission were retrofitted with paddles (though, the V10 Touaregs had the paddles from the factory).

team_v
26-03-2011, 04:08 PM
It can be done with slushbox auto's as the original Passat CC's had them.
Now you need the S2TP paddle extensions Aussie :P

Vince_S
26-03-2011, 05:37 PM
L E G E N D !!!

:respekt:

Congratulations, thats awesome news

So glad you got it working. Looks great!!

:cool46:

Transporter
28-03-2011, 07:12 PM
Hey aussietig,

I thought it would be a good idea to move to a new thread and leave this one for chat.

Flappy paddles steering wheel in Tiguan. (http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/f97/flappy-paddle-steering-wheel-tiguan-56968-new-post.html)