PDA

View Full Version : gear box and linkage advide needed

sammk1
21-09-2005, 03:48 PM
Hey guys, im pretty new to this site, but im going to have to bleed you guys for some infomation already if thats ok. You guys are pretty clued up on mk1 golfs so heres my problem.
I have a 1.6, 76 mk1 3 dr, currently runnning a 4 speed box but previously on a 5 speed which i have in the shed.
My problems started in dec last year when my clutch gave the ghost and all the splines inside the friction disk were torn out. the gearbox in the car was a 5 speed (no 020 301 107 11 12 with 28 splines on the shaft coming out).
This happened a few days before I had to undergo major knee surgery and wouldnt be able leave the house so I had to entrust a family friend with my car to get it back onto the road.
I was told that the 5 speed was off a 1.8 and the previous owner had machined out and welded a different splined center into the friction plate which contributed to the clutch faliure(as i can see on the cluch as it is in the shed aswell). So he set about trying to find a new clutch. He came up with the conclusion that the 1.8 g/box and the 1.6 block where not compatible, due to clutch splines and sizes.
So to get the car back on the road he changed the rear main seal(which was also leaking at the time) and put a 4 speed box in(specs unknown) with a new clutch.
This brings us up to the position im in now, the rear main seal is leaking again, the gear linkage feels like a stick in a pile of s**t, and i have a perfectly good 5 speed sitting in my shed gathering dust and a worn, uneconomical 4 speed sat in my car outside.
So far i have got the rear main seal to replace the leaky one, and a whole new bushing kit for the gear linkage(only 17 dollars).
Here's my questions for you guys; is it possible to tell from the gear box number i have whether it is compatible with my 1.6? If so what clutch should i use etc? This is the second time my rear main has gone, is there anything i should be looking for or remeber when replacing the seal?
And finally is there anything i should take into consideration when replacing the bushes on the gear linkage? Im just interested to know as i dont trust the person who worked on my car due to half the parts bein loose and not adjusted properly when i finally got under the car when i was well enough.
Anyway sorry for the life story but any help will be greatly apprectiated.
cheers Sam

roccodingo
21-09-2005, 07:15 PM
sam . I am in perth and possibly can sort this for ya..

Send me an e amail with your number and I will give you a ring.

cheers,
Grant.

Golf Loon
21-09-2005, 07:27 PM
Sam you can use the Stock 1.6 clutch and the 5 speed. Both gearboxes have the same number of splines. Anyone who says otherwise is lying. Probably the mashed up old clutch led to this conclusion. If you have a larger diameter clutch, get one that size. Most good car shops should be able to get a clutch in for you. The 1.6 clutches are cheap as, often on ebay for peanuts. Put the 5 speed in, it will transform your car.
Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Golfwise
22-09-2005, 09:40 AM
Welcome Sam. :D
The gearboxes had different sized splines depending on the model.
ie 16v mk 2, mk3 etc had the big spine and needed the 210 clutch and flywheel and early 4 and 5s had the small spline and 190 clutch etc some early GTIs had the small spline and bigger clutch. :?
I'm sure the dingo will sort you out .He's right round the corner.

GO THE EAGLES

We love em in our household.

roccodingo
23-09-2005, 12:31 AM
Sussed it already, its a 16V o2o box, and yes, I happen to have a spare 210 clutch assembly laying around..anyone got some spare 90 mm transaxle flanges, its still got the 100's attached.

Cheers,
Grant.

Golf Loon
23-09-2005, 12:09 PM
Nice work. Great Box to have in your shed. Should make the car go good lsd and all!

sammk1
23-09-2005, 12:36 PM
Thanks for the help guys, roccodingo has helped me out big time, so i think i owe him a few beers. As for the transaxle flanges i think ill just buy some different cv's as my left one is clicking anyway. I didnt realise the box was lsd, should be a bit more fun than the 4 speed.
cheers sam

Golfwise
23-09-2005, 03:43 PM
Loon what are you saying 16v 020s have a lsd :? :?