PDA

View Full Version : You've got to admire US police honesty

Lance B
19-05-2009, 11:24 PM
Angilo Freeland — who was suspected of fatally shooting a deputy officer after being pulled over for speeding Thursday — was hit 68 times by the SWAT team members' shots, the examination released Saturday showed.

He also was suspected of wounding a deputy and killing a police dog

The wounded deputy had pulled Freeland over for speeding and became suspicious of his identification. The suspect got nervous and bolted into the woods, officials said.

Polk County Sheriff Grady Judd said he was not concerned by the number of shots fired.

"You have to understand, he had already shot and killed a deputy, he had already shot and killed a K-9 and he shot and injured another deputy," Judd said by phone Saturday. "Quite frankly, we weren't taking any chances."

Ten SWAT officers surrounded Freeland on Friday as he hid beneath brush and a fallen tree in a rural area. Authorities say he raised the gun belonging to the deputy he had killed, prompting nine officers to fire.

Asked by a reporter, "Why had the officers shot the suspect 68 times?", Judd replied, "Well, that was all the bullets we had!".

You've got to love the Sheriff's honesty!

maca
19-05-2009, 11:53 PM
Haha hey at least you know he isn't corrupt!
Imagine what his body looked like..

Lance B
19-05-2009, 11:56 PM
Haha hey at least you know he isn't corrupt!
Imagine what his body looked like..

A sieve, comes to mind. ;-)

DaveMack
20-05-2009, 01:18 AM
"Weight at time of death? 120 kilos ... oh ... minus bullets 97 kilos." :biggrin:

Dave

rayray086
20-05-2009, 02:09 AM
Is that for real? Reminds me of that scene in Street Kings, where the cop was shot point blank by two guys with machine guns until they ran out of bullets. Disturbing stuff.

Blitzen
20-05-2009, 02:22 AM
This is the true form of mateship...You know that your mates will stand up for you when someone else has done you wrong. The gunman had it coming to him.

Mrk_Mickey
20-05-2009, 06:50 AM
Hahaha, only the Americans..

BTJ
20-05-2009, 05:59 PM
this thread is worthless without pics...

mikepologti
20-05-2009, 06:53 PM
do you recon hes still alive?

Spyda
20-05-2009, 07:37 PM
This is the true form of mateship...You know that your mates will stand up for you when someone else has done you wrong. The gunman had it coming to him.

It reminds me of something i saw on a TV show a while back.

I prisoner sliped his hand cuffs while he was on trial, stole the cops gun and shot him point blank in the face. (Cop was married with 4 kids)
The next time he apeard in court he was wheeled in hannibal lector style with a FULL face mask. He was beaten beyond recognition and the injuries where that bad they he had to wear the full face mask.

End of the day 2 wrongs dont make a right, or whatever the saying is.

gareth_oau
21-05-2009, 01:33 AM
I kinda disagree there Spyda. If somebody hurt anyone from my family, I'm quite sure he (coz I'd never hit a female) would probably struggle to walk for the rest of their lives.

and here in WA the courts are so pathetic, that serious crime seems to get off with the most pathetic of slaps on the wrist. Perhaps the cops are just ensuring that the punishment fits the crime :biggrin:

Spyda
21-05-2009, 11:47 AM
I kinda disagree there Spyda. If somebody hurt anyone from my family, I'm quite sure he (coz I'd never hit a female) would probably struggle to walk for the rest of their lives.

and here in WA the courts are so pathetic, that serious crime seems to get off with the most pathetic of slaps on the wrist. Perhaps the cops are just ensuring that the punishment fits the crime :biggrin:

Yeah i agree but it depends on the circumstances. My first reaction would be to bust some heads, usaly for the smallest things, but sometimes its not the best reaction.

Rocket36
21-05-2009, 12:03 PM
This happend in January 2006...

http://www.news24.com/News24/World/News/0,,2-10-1462_2006545,00.html

This is Polk County Florida Sheriff Grady Judd who made the world famous remarks...

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/05/image0011-1.jpg

Jettinabout
21-05-2009, 12:06 PM
I also have to disagree Spyda...the reason we have to cop all this BS here is because of touchy, feely, tree hugging wankers in the civil rights areas who have turned everything in favour of the offender...I wonder how they would feel if one of their kids was murdered. Good on the Sheriffs Dept...only problem ...they didn't carry enough ammo.

While we sit and give these people sanctuary from their dilemnas' from all parts of the world ..they abuse our good grace and kindness.

And here it is in a nutshell...

"We sleep safely in our beds, because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."....Oscar Wilde.

gareth_oau
21-05-2009, 12:24 PM
Sypda, i'm not suggesting that i would fly off the handle and do something i'd later regret. i'm not impetous like that - my actions would be considered and well planned, effective, and appropriate.

"revenge is a dish best served cold!!"

I'd only be adopting an appropriate, "star chamber" response to an illegal act, that the civil rights idiots are now preventing

gareth_oau
21-05-2009, 12:24 PM
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Spyda
21-05-2009, 12:29 PM
I also have to disagree Spyda...the reason we have to cop all this BS here is because of touchy, feely, tree hugging wankers in the civil rights areas who have turned everything in favour of the offender...I wonder how they would feel if one of their kids was murdered. Good on the Sheriffs Dept...only problem ...they didn't carry enough ammo.

While we sit and give these people sanctuary from their dilemnas' from all parts of the world ..they abuse our good grace and kindness.

"We sleep safely in our beds, because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."....Oscar Wilde.

Shiz....i didnt mean to start anything guys.

gareth_oau
21-05-2009, 01:52 PM
LOL, no probs spyda, hence my >>> :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

static1800
21-05-2009, 03:35 PM
According to that article 110 shots were fired. So 110 divided by 9 = 12.3 lets say 12. SWAT would be using a small caliber machine gun of some sort i would think. So 12 rounds from each person is really just a burst of fire from each of them which makes being hit 68 times a lot less dramatic, it's not like they sat there putting clip after clip into the guy.

Lesson to be learned? dont mess with cops :)

from a different point of view, they fired 110 shots and only hit with 68?

Lance B
21-05-2009, 04:22 PM

Couldn't agree more.

Just think of the legal costs of a trial and the jail costs that they saved on. :biggrin:

Manaz
21-05-2009, 04:35 PM
10 SWAT officers, 6-7 rounds each. Not at all surprising really, that's a relatively short burst, but enough to be totally effective from any one individual SWAT officer (you never wait for your colleagues to fire when danger presents itself).

I've heard a variant of that before ("People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."), but it's totally true.

EDIT: Another variant was used in the movie A Few Good Men:

"Son, we live in a world that has walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with guns. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lieutenant Weinberg? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Santiago and you curse the Marines. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know: that Santiago's death, while tragic, probably saved lives. And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives! You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall! You need me on that wall! We use words like Honor, Code, Loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punchline! I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it! I would rather you just said "Thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you are entitled to!"

sci_fianime
21-05-2009, 10:02 PM
According to that article 110 shots were fired. So 110 divided by 9 = 12.3 lets say 12. SWAT would be using a small caliber machine gun of some sort i would think. So 12 rounds from each person is really just a burst of fire from each of them which makes being hit 68 times a lot less dramatic, it's not like they sat there putting clip after clip into the guy.

Lesson to be learned? dont mess with cops :)

from a different point of view, they fired 110 shots and only hit with 68?

the rest went through the holes made by the earlier bullets?

Manaz
22-05-2009, 08:55 AM
the rest went through the holes made by the earlier bullets?

I missed how many bullets were fired. Oops. You'd really hope that swat guys could shoot better than that...

Reminds me of that case where a number of cops shot at a guy in a stair well, firing something like 17 bullets, and only hit him three times...

Jettinabout
23-05-2009, 09:42 AM
No probs here Spyda.....I'm not a back slider, if I have an issue with you I will tell you straight and I don't need a smiley face to do it...