PDA

View Full Version : Quarantined??

teresi
19-05-2009, 10:46 AM
Hi everyone,
I'm newish to this forum, so 'hi'. I signed a contract for a new golf in April with a delivery date on the contract of 'mid-May 2009'. I've just been told by the dealer (after I called them after the delivery date passed and I'd heard now news from them) that the car has been 'quarantined', and they can't estimate when it will be available.

Has this happened to anyone else here?? It doesn't seem fair to me that they can delay a delivery date indefinitely like that, and claim, as they have, that it's out of their control. I don't mean to be rude, but that's not really my problem and I would have thought they should carry the risk and cost of things like quarantine delays, not me.

Anyway, just wondering if this is a known issue with anyone, and what solutions you've had if it is? I've now had to cancel a trip to Canberra indefinitely because of this! grrrr!!

KWICKS
19-05-2009, 10:50 AM
Tell the dealer and threaten top pull out of the deal if you are not happy. The car is likely on the docks, not in quarantine as such, but behind a bunch of vehicles. They *can* get you yours in a hurry if it is important enough to them.

And technically if the car is not delivered within 14 days of the contract being signed I think you have an option to get out at no expense, but this was told to me by a competing dealer so it may be hogwash.

Stay on their hammer. It will be a week from when it is released to getting it in yoru hands so they can transport it (probably interstate?) and do the dealer delivery.

gareth_oau
19-05-2009, 11:01 AM
its probably a suspected swine flu carrier.j:

looking at it from their perspective, I presume you havent paid them yet, and they'd been keen to get your cash in their bank, so perhaps it is beyond their control

maybe ask them for some customs evidence to demonstrating the quarantining

VW Convert
19-05-2009, 11:05 AM
Hi everyone,
I'm newish to this forum, so 'hi'. I signed a contract for a new golf in April with a delivery date on the contract of 'mid-May 2009'. I've just been told by the dealer (after I called them after the delivery date passed and I'd heard now news from them) that the car has been 'quarantined', and they can't estimate when it will be available.

Has this happened to anyone else here?? It doesn't seem fair to me that they can delay a delivery date indefinitely like that, and claim, as they have, that it's out of their control. I don't mean to be rude, but that's not really my problem and I would have thought they should carry the risk and cost of things like quarantine delays, not me.

Anyway, just wondering if this is a known issue with anyone, and what solutions you've had if it is? I've now had to cancel a trip to Canberra indefinitely because of this! grrrr!!

It is possible it has been quarantined by AQIS and if so, no importer has any control over it. All imported cars are checked by AQIS and if any trace of quarantinable material is found, it will be quarantined and cleaned, The reality is that when importing any goods, a myriad of factors can cause delays and this needs to be borne in mind when ordering.

http://www.daff.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0006/661263/34-07-08.pdf

Cheers

George

Steve
19-05-2009, 11:23 AM
There's also been at least one R36 quarantined, too: http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/newforum/upload/showthread.php?t=29451

It sounds plausible, and if it is true then it's beyond control of the dealer.

Jayse
19-05-2009, 12:32 PM
Yep, thats what i was going to say (what Steve said...)
Maybe the R36 and your golf were on the same ship...think it had something to do with bird droppings....

I reckon if you ask really nicely they may give you a loan car to help you out..and then you mighten have to cancel your trip to Canberra (IMHO though, i think they did you a favour on that one!!) :nana:

Cheers,

Jayse.

Corey_R
19-05-2009, 04:34 PM
It is possible it has been quarantined by AQIS and if so, no importer has any control over it.

Yeah - that's exactly right. If it has really been 'officially' quarantined then no dealer or important can do anything about it. All they can do is be as coorpative and flexible as possible with the authorities.
The dealer should however be able to tell you why it has been quarantined so that you're not sitting in the dark so much.

teresi
19-05-2009, 09:00 PM
errr, yep, it looks like a few cars were quarantined. Cheers for the responses folks. Apparently this is legally grounds for termination of the contract, but then I spose I'd have to wait another forever! And yes, looking on the bright side, no need to subject myself to Canberra, and the car if it ever makes it will be guaranteed free of pig-flew!
cheers everyone.

Karmann
23-05-2009, 09:53 AM
HI

Long time lurker, first time poster. My MkVI must be part of the same shipment. I was told some seeds were found on the boat, so everything has been put into quarantine until further notice.

Not much we can do about it - I won't be cancelling my order, because I have been waiting for this since early March. They already stuffed up part of the order - it was shipped without fog lights - apparently none on this shipment had fog lights factory fitted. For an extra $1400 we could get them retrofitted :shock:

Anyway I was more concerned about the colour (Amaryllis Red). Only two in red on this boat and one with my name on it! I'm happy to wait a few weeks longer.

Corey_R
23-05-2009, 10:37 AM
They already stuffed up part of the order - it was shipped without fog lights - apparently none on this shipment had fog lights factory fitted. For an extra $1400 we could get them retrofitted :shock

Lol... if fog lights are part of the speck, or you optioned them and it's on your paperwork, it is up to the dealer to resolve that issue for you. You shouldn't be paying $1400 to retrofit them... they should just be doing it for you!

teresi
23-05-2009, 11:48 AM
HI

' apparently none on this shipment had fog lights factory fitted. For an extra $1400 we could get them retrofitted :shock:

Hmm, mine's supposed to have foglights too. Not specified individually, but does have 'sports leather' specified which includes fogs. It may well be up to the dealer to retrofit them, but that means more weeks of waiting... life's too short for this - shoulda got a toyota!! I guess there'll be a funny side after the fact!

gregozedobe
23-05-2009, 12:30 PM
Lol... if fog lights are part of the speck, or you optioned them and it's on your paperwork, it is up to the dealer to resolve that issue for you. You shouldn't be paying $1400 to retrofit them... they should just be doing it for you!

Maybe.....if you read the fine print on most cars specs you will usually find something like "VW reserves the right to change specifications and/or equipment levels". Have good read of your purchase contract to see what it says, as that is what really counts.

Karmann
23-05-2009, 02:34 PM

I guess... They said we could wait until the next shipment. In September! TBH I am just so sick of waiting and desperate to get into it, that I don't really care about the fog lights. I just got them to throw in as much stuff as I could, and the fog lights were just another extra.

teresi
23-05-2009, 06:33 PM
Maybe.....if you read the fine print on most cars specs you will usually find something like "VW reserves the right to change specifications and/or equipment levels". Have good read of your purchase contract to see what it says, as that is what really counts.

grrr that makes me really cross! what's the point of having a contract if they reserve the right to change the order, spec, cost, trade-in price, delivery date etc. at will?!

Corey_R
23-05-2009, 11:08 PM
grrr that makes me really cross! what's the point of having a contract if they reserve the right to change the order, spec, cost, trade-in price, delivery date etc. at will?!

No that's the entire point of a contract. I don't believe that they can change the specification on you after you've signed for it. Unless the blurb about the changing of specification is in the contract you signed (rather than just in their brochures).

Jayse
25-05-2009, 12:50 PM
The first batch of R36 wagons that had the RNS510 ordered didn't come with the rear camera as it should've. I'm pretty sure the guys got some money back..it wasn't something that could be a dealer retrofit.

If you're expecting the fog lights in the car you ordered..make sure you get it..paying extra for it is stoopid!!