PDA

View Full Version : Sunroof or Park Assist

DJY
18-05-2009, 05:51 PM
Ok quick poll...

There is a chance I can rapidly move up my delivery time if I decide between these two options. Whilst ideally I would like to order my custom made Tiguan, in my own colour, with the options that I want...
but I don't do 5+ month waits well.

So the option could prove to be in coming days...
Park Assist or Sunroof.

One local dealer has one with a sunroof... and there is another dealer (I think) that is getting one soon with Park Assist.

Which one would you pick and why?

[or wait and order my own]

Keen to hear lots of opinions to help me decide!

Edit: I'm considering a 147 - comes standard with rear parking sensors. I originally thought the Optical Parking Sensors on the 147 was both front and rear - but seems it might only be rear?

Spook
18-05-2009, 06:02 PM
Given the choice, I'd pick Park Assist, because it is a useful tool - not so much the gizmo self-park function but more the OPS. However if you only have RCD310, I'd spec the dynaaudio to get the upgrade to RCD510.

The Pano roof is nice, but at the end of the day, it is more a luxury and not as useful as park assist.

DJY
18-05-2009, 06:44 PM
Can anyone also confirm whether the OPS on a 147 is just rear sensors or both front and rear parking sensors?

Yevvy
18-05-2009, 08:49 PM
If you can't park, get a park assist :nana: but if you think you're confident with it, go for sunroof for sure!

DJY
18-05-2009, 08:56 PM
If you can't park, get a park assist :nana: but if you think you're confident with it, go for sunroof for sure!

Thanks mate.
I can park, am a great driver.
like the idea of the parking sensors though - so just trying to confirm if OPS only has rear sensors or both front and rear.

The sunroof is amazing too!

Paragon
18-05-2009, 09:05 PM
I would get the sunroof everytime. Unless your wife / girlfriend / you :nana: cant park then its a waste of time. I think sensors are just a new gimmick that is cool to have but really, when was the last time you actually reversed into something? Usually when you are reversing you tend to be concentrating and trying to get a good look where you are going, and its not like the Tiguan is a large car in the first place.

The sunroof, well there aren't too many cars with a sunroof available like the Tiguans. As long as you don't roll the car you will be sweet, and as long as doing time trial aren't your thing (as having that much weight in the roof would not do much for the handling) your sweet.

Bayman
18-05-2009, 09:46 PM
I would get the sunroof everytime. Unless your wife / girlfriend / you :nana: cant park then its a waste of time. I think sensors are just a new gimmick that is cool to have but really, when was the last time you actually reversed into something? Usually when you are reversing you tend to be concentrating and trying to get a good look where you are going, and its not like the Tiguan is a large car in the first place.

The sunroof, well there aren't too many cars with a sunroof available like the Tiguans. As long as you don't roll the car you will be sweet, and as long as doing time trial aren't your thing (as having that much weight in the roof would not do much for the handling) your sweet.

Personally if you can afford both - order one and wait. Or look out for ex VW fully optioned TDIs that sell around $50K with up to 10,000kms on 12 mths old. Been a few in Melb the last 3 months.

DJY
18-05-2009, 10:59 PM
Personally if you can afford both - order one and wait. Or look out for ex VW fully optioned TDIs that sell around $50K with up to 10,000kms on 12 mths old. Been a few in Melb the last 3 months.

It is the 5 month plus wait that would kill me here!!!
An as for the TDI, I've driven one a couple of times and didn't like it.
Drove the 125 last weekend which was much better, and now waiting to drive a 147 this week.

Both local dealers in Canberra I believe have in stock 147's due this week... thus my poll. Thanks for the comments though - and it I didn't have to wait so long - I would prefer both options! Just trying to work out which option to grab now though....
what do they say about the bird in the hand - compared to two in the bush?!?!

tiguan_hunting
18-05-2009, 11:35 PM
It is the 5 month plus wait that would kill me here!!!
An as for the TDI, I've driven one a couple of times and didn't like it.
Drove the 125 last weekend which was much better, and now waiting to drive a 147 this week.

Both local dealers in Canberra I believe have in stock 147's due this week... thus my poll. Thanks for the comments though - and it I didn't have to wait so long - I would prefer both options! Just trying to work out which option to grab now though....
what do they say about the bird in the hand - compared to two in the bush?!?!
Not sure about the 5 month wait. Spoke to the dealership last week and it I wanted to order one it will be a 3.5 month wait. production starts June 1. Arriving into Oz on Sept 1. Then another 2 - 3 weeks for pre-delivery preparation.

Spook
19-05-2009, 12:24 PM
Given the choice, I'd pick Park Assist, because it is a useful tool - not so much the gizmo self-park function but more the OPS. However if you only have RCD310, I'd spec the dynaaudio to get the upgrade to RCD510.

The Pano roof is nice, but at the end of the day, it is more a luxury and not as useful as park assist.

Ok - I recant my vote. I thought you were looking at the TDI. I think reverse sensors will be useful, but since you're going for the 147, that is already standard with the OPS, so go the sunroof!

DJY
20-05-2009, 08:12 PM
Well today I went for the sunroof.

It is huge, and really changes the feel of the car. Drove it around with glass closed, blind open, glass tilted and open (with and without the blind) and any combination in between I think!!! With the black interior and black leather I decided the extra light and wow factor won me over.

They did actually have a white 147 with both Park Assist and Sunroof (plus off road), but I decided I didn't like the white one - after I'd seen, driven, and been drewling over the black one. Sure the white is a nice white (quite creamy in certain light) but wasn't for me... the fact that my neighbour has a White 103TDI may have been an influence!

The chrome detailing highlights the black a lot more, and whilst black will be very hard to keep clean, I think it looks WOW!

Really wanted to just get it - after months of research, consideration, reviewing options, sussing out other cars, and probably driving a couple of my local dealers mad.

Can't wait to pick it up Friday now...
will be minus bluetooth as they won't have time to install it - but that's ok it can go back for that in the next few weeks.

Spook
21-05-2009, 12:09 AM
Woohoo! Congrats on the ride! :driver:

DJY
22-05-2009, 07:20 PM
Hand over / delivery was today...
Here is a photo of my new 147TSI Tiguan just after the big unveil... just before I drove it away!

http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/newforum/upload/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=612

Arctra
22-05-2009, 08:38 PM
Here is a photo of my new 147TSI Tiguan just after the big unveil... just before I drove it away!

http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/newforum/upload/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=612

NICE!!!! Bringing on the sexy black!

Tigga1
25-05-2009, 07:56 PM
[QUOTE=DJY;327115]Ok quick poll...

There is a chance I can rapidly move up my delivery time if I decide between these two options. Whilst ideally I would like to order my custom made Tiguan, in my own colour, with the options that I want...
but I don't do 5+ month waits well.

So the option could prove to be in coming days...
Park Assist or Sunroof.

One local dealer has one with a sunroof... and there is another dealer (I think) that is getting one soon with Park Assist.

Which one would you pick and why?

QUOTE]
I got the sunroof, is by far the best option on my 125TSI

gives lots of extra light in cabin (read ambience)
easy to operate
like you, I'm a competent parker
nice for rear seat passengers, for view and ambience

just my thoughts...

DJY
25-05-2009, 08:52 PM
Couldn't agree more Tigga1!

Every one that has been seeing my Tiguan comments on the huge sunroof!
Is great!
Haven't had my dog in it yet - but I'm hoping he appreciates it too!
;)

Bayman
25-05-2009, 09:44 PM
OK , I have both and I must say the park assist is a must.

If you bingle the car once , you have paid for it in repairs.

The sunroof does make the car more of a SUV fun vehicle, but I dare say in summer the heat from the glass may change my mind, but at least I can open it to let the heat out.

Conclusion: A hard decision, but really glad I have both. My regret is Dynaudio but then to fully option the car is so so much $$$$. I decided to keep the saved cash and upgrade to a next generation Tiguan in a few years whenver it is released, hopefully with a 125KW TDI. I got everything but SatNav, Dynaudio , Xenon lights and off road but settled as no wait and it was a fresh car only 3 weeks since landed and delivered 20 May 2009.

The 18inch wheels I got just look so good, the 16inch are a little plain but I like the 17inch on the 125KW TSI, probably give the best balance of ride/handling. The 18inch are a firm ride.

The Fog lights just finish the looks off as blanking plates look crap IMHO if they are not optioned.

Apparently the supply of Tigs is improving so you may not wait the 4 mths, but then if you want both the time will pass. Get a good dealer to hunt a model down as I found some dealers can wrangle stock off VW Aust, possibly earmarked for their executives as a sale is better than a cushy exec freeloading a car for 10 mths. I believe my car was possibly destined for some VW exec fleet.

dogbowl
28-05-2009, 01:00 PM

http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/newforum/upload/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=612Hello DJY, please share your driveaway price, if you care to.

Great to hear about the car, looks swish

DJY
28-05-2009, 05:40 PM
I didn't try and haggle the price on the Tiguan...
as I was aware that there weren't many around...
but instead (which ended up with the same or probably better result)...

I haggled on the trade in price of my car.
I was trading in an Alfa 147 - so I only ever talked about the "changeover price". I managed to get the value of my car increased three times, and then even got them to knock a small amount only ($800) off either the delivery delivery / price of the actual Tiguan.

When I compare the original change over offer - to the one that I ended up accepting the difference I saved was $4500 I think!!!!

I'm sure alot of that actually came off the dealer delivery / and price they had the Tiguan listed at - but either way I was very happy!

The other dealer I was negotiating with - started with an even lower trade in price on my car - and didn't budge much at all.