PDA

View Full Version : Modded 147vRS?

Autopia
18-05-2009, 12:30 AM
Hi all,

Has anyone here modified their 147vRS?
I've spoken with Dean at Volkspower and he offers some great performance mods for the 147 that I'm seriously considering.

It'd be handy to get some feedback from any of you that have tweaked their vRS.

Guy_H
18-05-2009, 09:54 AM
There's a few modded ones around!

Start checking this thread:

http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/newforum/upload/showthread.php?t=12076

There is some pictures of our Skoda in here:

http://www.goapr.com/media/photos/72157615035502559/

mrx
18-05-2009, 12:06 PM
Pretty much anything that's good for a MkV Golf GTI is good for the Skoda too. But #1, you'd definitely be wanting to drop it's ride height a bit, they ride about 20mm higher than the GTI. I used Eibach springs as they're the only Skoda specific ones I could find. The load rating of the springs is slightly different from the golf, due to more overhang at the back.

Autopia
18-05-2009, 01:39 PM
Pretty much anything that's good for a MkV Golf GTI is good for the Skoda too. But #1, you'd definitely be wanting to drop it's ride height a bit, they ride about 20mm higher than the GTI. I used Eibach springs as they're the only Skoda specific ones I could find. The load rating of the springs is slightly different from the golf, due to more overhang at the back.

Thanks for the feedback re the springs. I'm definitely thinking about lowering it. I also want to run 19's.
Is the ride quality of your car severely compromised by the lowering? Would it be advisable to stick wit the 18's?

mrx
18-05-2009, 03:23 PM
Not at all, I think the ride quality & handling is dramatically improved. No more bouncing/wallowing over bumps, they're just absorbed. Don't know about 19's, I stuck with the 18's. I posted pictures somewhere in one of the threads on here.

Autopia
19-05-2009, 12:02 AM
Not at all, I think the ride quality & handling is dramatically improved. No more bouncing/wallowing over bumps, they're just absorbed. Don't know about 19's, I stuck with the 18's. I posted pictures somewhere in one of the threads on here.

Thanks again.
I spoke with the guy at Volkspower and he advised I stick with the 18's if I'm going to lower the car and want to maintain a good ride quality and handling mix.

gregozedobe
19-05-2009, 01:20 AM
I read a tyre test by a UK magazine a while back. They were using a Golf GTI as the test car, and just for interest they took off the optional 18" wheels it came with and tested it with a set of std 17" wheels. It was 2 seconds faster a lap on the 17" wheels.

Aus Top Gear came to a similar conclusion tonight when they were testing a supercharged Dunnydore - it was faster with the smaller diameter wheels (and correspondingly higher profile tyres) off the std Clubsport R8.

Really low profile tyres may look cooler, but they won't ride as well, may have less grip and will almost certainly cost more. Some people think that 50 profile tyres are about the best all round.

woofy
19-05-2009, 02:46 PM
I miss my 50 profile tyres on my previous car, 40 is not so useful for much at all. And smaller diameter wheels are definitely faster, most track people swap for smaller on the day.

Autopia
19-05-2009, 11:34 PM
Yeah, heard about the Top Gear test with the Dunnydore.
I reckon I'll stick with the 18's and lower the car 25mm.