PDA

View Full Version : ABS Teves Mk IV

Tulyar
20-12-2006, 10:40 PM
Anyone got any experience on these systems?

On a B4 95 Passat.

Download not recognising a fault but flags the inlet and outlet valves + Supply Voltage in the 8 fields.

Light comes on from cold start however if car is run for 45 mins + on a warm day and is left to stand for 30 - 90 mins light goes out on restart. Light never goes out in wet or cold weather.

If ambient is not really hot say low 20's or less and car is run, left and restarted (so light goes out) an emergency brake application doesnt activate ABS and light comes on. Repeat same on hot day ABS system works as it should and light stays off.

Its not sensors etc. Brake fluid changed. Ive been through all the usual earth faults that Passats usually get on the ABS system and Im starting to think tired pump. Heat in the engine bay causes sufficient pump expansion for it to just get sufficiently pressurised??

About to embark on an overseas foraging hunt and contemplating bringing a pump home - anyone experienced anything like this and can support my hypothesis or propose an alternate?

The car has done about 100,000km and spent a number of years running on unsealed roads indicating the ABS system would have worked hard supporting a tired pump?

From memory Renault Laguna's, Ford Granada's (?) and some Volvo's ran Teves 04's would a pump from one of these transfer to a Passat or would the valving be likely to be different?

Would appreciate anyones thoughts or suggestions.

Golf Loon
23-12-2006, 08:37 PM
Had the same fault on a 95 VR6 today.
2 Fault codes for different valves on the pump. One outlet, one inlet.
I cancelled the codes and the came back, cancelled them again and one came back, cancelled again, stayed out for 50kms of stop start and hard driving.
Randomly came on again next drive, cancelled again, all good so far. Not holding my breath.
I reckon there is crud in the brake fluid which is intermittantly clogging the valves on the ABS pump. Hopefully a full fluid change and bleed of the system will sort this. If not its time to change the pump.
Getting one from overseas is a good financial move. But I`d try and get one for a Passat, dunno if other manufactures ones will work. I`d suspect they would be different pressures / fittings.
Good Luck

Tulyar
23-12-2006, 10:28 PM
Sounds very similar Matt. I had the same result upon clearing codes and found after an initial run to warm up the system on a hot day it would run clear of codes all day. Overnight cool down and it would fill up all fields again in the same way!

Best of luck with flushing the fluid - I tried same twice and then checked the history and found it had been changed every couple of years religiously. I have had success with finding bad earths both to the pump and computer generating this sort of fault so I might suggest you try that before flushing the fluid.

If I find a pump and it solves the problem I will take the recalcitrant one apart to see if we can learn anything.

Seems so strange that the ambient/engine bay temperature can be the determining factor upon correct operation or otherwise?

Bug_racer
25-12-2006, 05:11 PM
I hate there earlier ABS systems , the ecu's fail , the sensors get clogged up with crap and the pumps fail . I rarely see a golf 3 / passat with these ABS systems working

brackie
26-12-2006, 05:26 AM
There's a mob in NZ who recon ABS ECUs. They specifically name the VAG series. Next time I'm cruising NZ auto sites I'll get their name.

Tulyar
11-01-2007, 03:02 AM
Thanks ever so Brackie.

In the UK at the moment. I noticed today that Seat Toledo's use the MkIV Teves system but dont use the electronic diff lock which generates a different Part #.

I thought the Australian B4 Passat's had electronic diff locks? Can anyone confirm?

Thanks for the NZ tip - Ive got a mate who's after a pump for a VR6 Golf so he will find that useful also. Will report back any learnings found.