PDA

View Full Version : Advice on add-ons: Tinting, leather protection, paint protection.

Arctra
17-05-2009, 09:38 AM
Hi all

So I signed on the dotted line for my Tig yesterday, and as predicted by others in the forum, I was quickly led over to the smiling girld to "educate" me on how to look after my shiney new toy. There are just a few things she said that I want to independently confirm with you guys:

1) Tinting: Standard tint I was quoted $545 and the darkest (StreetLegal) I was quoted $645. Although tinting sounds like a great idea, that seems a pretty hefty pricetag. Is that about right, or should I just go aftermarket?

2) Leather Protect: She advised I get the leather seats "sealed" with their special super-duper protection for $350 (I think). She also warned that if I use an aftermarket sealer (that is silicone based I think she said) I would void my leather warrenty. Now correct me if I'm wrong here, but don't they just use 3M Scotchguard for this? Does what she said sound right? I must say, I loved her graphic story about the leather being porus and soaking up sweat and dead skin cells if I don't get it done. She struggled treading the fine line between "the leather is very good quality" and "it has shortcomings that you really should address".

3) Paint protection: This is the one where my bullsh*t alarms started going crazy, but maybe I'm wrong. She told me that the paint is porus and that VW don't recommend you wax/polish your car as it soaks in to the metal and over time will start cracking the paint. That's why they recommend their high quality pain protection! I'm really looking forward to your guys feedback on this one!

Thanks in advance!

Transporter
17-05-2009, 02:33 PM
Congratulation. Which one did you go for?

Window tint is tricky bit. You will need to leave the car somewhere for tinting and can take a day, so you losing the time and if the difference is

something like $150-200 I would consider to have it done at the dealer.

As far as the paint protection and leather protection goes I wouldn't bother with it since I (and most vehicle owners)can do better job doing it myself.

You can do a bit of search on net to find the product you like or you know it has a good reputation, like Autoglym, 3M. I also use Mcquires on tyres.

I use the WURTH LEATHER CARE on the leather seats in our Touareg. The Mothers have really good wax I currently am using on our cars.

You still have to wax your car yearly regardless of the expensive paint protection that is what I was told by the professional car detailers.

Sanman
17-05-2009, 02:48 PM
1.Tinting will be done by a tint firm around the corner from the dealer, plus a markup. so maybe a $200 convenience cost to have the dealer do it for you. It might be worthwhile as you will effectively lease the tint if the dealer does it.
2. Leather care is a regular thing, apply every 6 months, there is no "magic bullet" otherwise it would be done at factory.
3. Paint is a bit soft and takes a couple of months to fully cure, harden. But I was reflecting that this probably would happen on the boat coming out here, so it should be fully hard by the time you get it.
The clear coat by design is impermeable. Wash it, don't stress it with sudden temp changes (cold water when in a hot sun) or harsh chemicals. Normal washing and silicon polish is just fine.

Arctra
17-05-2009, 03:02 PM
Congratulation. Which one did you go for?

Thanks. Went for:

TDI Auto
Metalic Mountain Grey
Panoramic Sunroof
Beige/Tan Leather pack
Comfort Pack
Park Assist
Offroad pack

Would have been fine without leather to be honest, but to get the other requirements and take delivery quickly I had to compromise. Hopefully I won't regret that, but I don't think I will.

I hope to take delivery of it on Thursday. They originally told me Tuesday but then due to their computer systems being down this weekend they couldn't get the order through in time for that. Anyway, as long as I get it this week I'll be happy. Really looking forward to driving an oil burner again. Thinking of christening it with a nice drive up to the Hunter Valley through Wisemans then back down the coast. A nice mix of twisting rough roads and open highway to run her in a bit :biggrin:

tiguan_hunting
17-05-2009, 04:08 PM
Hi Arctra,

Mind if I ask how much you paid not including any after sales products?
I'm planning to get one this week with pretty much the same specs as you minus the off-road pack.

Thanks

Flipper Dog
17-05-2009, 06:28 PM
Hi Arctra,
Lets first start with tinting, like others have said there is quite a bit of mark up from the bloke around the corner the dealer uses. Yes if you don’t mind paying for it and you can’t wait around then let the dealer do it, but don’t except a $100 difference in normal to darkest tint, it’s all the same price. If you really want to push the point then an offer of $300 for the tint will allow everyone to make money out of you, have a go at your salesman.

Leather protection – if you spray the super duper spray on your seats you will be sealing them yes, but also not allowing them to breathe which will reduce the life of your leather (that equals cracking). Any good aftermarket leather cleaner followed by conditioner twice a year will see your seats looking great and feeling new. Your seats will need cleaning because sweat, dust and spills are a fact of life; the spray is no magic cure.

Paint protection – “She told me that the paint is porus and that VW don't recommend you wax/polish your car as it soaks in to the metal and over time will start cracking the paint.” Wow, that is a nice piece of selling. Have a look in the owner’s manual when you get it and you will see Volkswagen recommend you wax your vehicle every 6 months. I would like to know where the wax can get into the metal in the first place, that is a very poor paint finish which Volkswagen would fix under their warranty anyway.
The dealer’s high quality paint protection for around the $1000 mark is really a $20 bottle of paint sealant applied by machine. Depending on who does the job could make your vehicle look fantastic for the first few washes or wreck your paint work with swirl marks. Most paint protection products need to be reapplied (and I bet you were not told this by her?) at the 12 month period. No matter what you apply to your finish it will wear away with washing and time so keeping it covered with a good quality wax is the best way to go. If you need a paint protection then look up the blokes who do it for a living, they take pride in their job and will advise you on your individual needs, also at a reasonable price.

One you have not said is the carpet treatment they would offer for $300 to protect your carpets and plastic from nuclear fall outs, your can or two of 3M Scotchguard is right on for the money with that one.

Has she said anything yet on pin strips and other decals, for that individual look. :biggrin:

Arctra
17-05-2009, 07:34 PM
Brilliant reply Flipper Dog, thank you.

She didn't offer me pin stripes, no. I think she could see that I was knowledgable enough to know I can get an easy extra 50kW out of the vehicle if I put yellow racing stripes on it. :biggrin:

I think I'm just going to take the vehicle as it is so I get it quicker, and will look into getting the tinting at a later stage. Most of the time it spends parked it'll either be in my undercover secured garage at home, or my undercovered secure garage at work, so it's only on odd accasions I'll miss the tinting.

Thanks again for the reply!

Transporter
17-05-2009, 07:50 PM
Hi Arctra,
Lets first start with tinting, like others have said there is quite a bit of mark up from the bloke around the corner the dealer uses. Yes if you don’t mind paying for it and you can’t wait around then let the dealer do it, but don’t except a $100 difference in normal to darkest tint, it’s all the same price. If you really want to push the point then an offer of $300 for the tint will allow everyone to make money out of you, have a go at your salesman.

Leather protection – if you spray the super duper spray on your seats you will be sealing them yes, but also not allowing them to breathe which will reduce the life of your leather (that equals cracking). Any good aftermarket leather cleaner followed by conditioner twice a year will see your seats looking great and feeling new. Your seats will need cleaning because sweat, dust and spills are a fact of life; the spray is no magic cure.

Paint protection – “She told me that the paint is porus and that VW don't recommend you wax/polish your car as it soaks in to the metal and over time will start cracking the paint.” Wow, that is a nice piece of selling. Have a look in the owner’s manual when you get it and you will see Volkswagen recommend you wax your vehicle every 6 months. I would like to know where the wax can get into the metal in the first place, that is a very poor paint finish which Volkswagen would fix under their warranty anyway.
The dealer’s high quality paint protection for around the $1000 mark is really a $20 bottle of paint sealant applied by machine. Depending on who does the job could make your vehicle look fantastic for the first few washes or wreck your paint work with swirl marks. Most paint protection products need to be reapplied (and I bet you were not told this by her?) at the 12 month period. No matter what you apply to your finish it will wear away with washing and time so keeping it covered with a good quality wax is the best way to go. If you need a paint protection then look up the blokes who do it for a living, they take pride in their job and will advise you on your individual needs, also at a reasonable price.

One you have not said is the carpet treatment they would offer for $300 to protect your carpets and plastic from nuclear fall outs, your can or two of 3M Scotchguard is right on for the money with that one.

Has she said anything yet on pin strips and other decals, for that individual look. :biggrin:

Very well said. That should be made sticky in the thread "Buying a new car"

DJY
26-05-2009, 11:12 PM
Hi all

1) Tinting: Standard tint I was quoted $545 and the darkest (StreetLegal) I was quoted $645. Although tinting sounds like a great idea, that seems a pretty hefty pricetag. Is that about right, or should I just go aftermarket?

Mmm whilst I've only had my 147TSI a few days...
and it comes with tinted rear & back windows...
I was thinking that I'd love to match the tint in the drivers and passengers (side) windows.

Viewing the car from the side... one is tinted (rear side window) and the other isn't (either driver or passenger side window).

Anyone know if the tinting what percentage tinting the 147TSI comes with - and is it a certain 'colour'?

Also is it legal? From reading the ACT Govt website it sounds like it is?!!

mmm this might further complete the look of my new Tiguan!
Black exterior, black leather, then black windows all around (except windscreen of course)!!!

Johnno
27-05-2009, 10:26 AM
I don't know if its total bull$h!t or not - but I was told that should you need to replace a panel on the veicle (as a result of a crash or whatever) then the colour is harder to match if you have the paint protection...? Maybe that has to do with the different rate at which the pain fades over time?

Despite my previous car developing cracked paint the size of a 20c coin on the bonnet within 2 months of owning it, I won't bother with paint protection. It sounds pretty pointless as the dealer said any paint damage was my fault and generously quoted me the price of a bonnet re-spray.

Flipper Dog
27-05-2009, 05:45 PM
I don't know if its total bull$h!t or not - but I was told that should you need to replace a panel on the veicle (as a result of a crash or whatever) then the colour is harder to match if you have the paint protection...? Maybe that has to do with the different rate at which the pain fades over time?

Look at this way, a 5 year old dark blue car left out in the sun will fade regardless what you put on it. When a panel beater resprays that car they will match the paint via the vehicle's paint code. They will then give it a quick cut and polish which will allow the car the look new for a time.

Differences in colour matching because of the likes of paint protection has nothing to do with it at all. So myth busted!!

With paint protection you need to remember that it is not the be all and end all in vehicle care. You need to still look after the paint work and reapply your protection over time. Wax, polish or paint protection will wear over time with exposure to the elements and washing. There is also other factors like stone chips, car park assaults and the general crap on the road that wears down on any protection. Your paint protection will not save you from any of that damage.

Johnno
27-05-2009, 09:42 PM
Makes sense to me :)

Spook
27-05-2009, 09:46 PM
Anyone know if the tinting what percetange tinting the 147TSI comes with - and is it a certain 'colour'?

It's "65% light absorbing". But tint is usually quoted as the % of light let through so that makes it a 35% tint.

An old article here, but an interesting read nevertheless:
http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/ArticleDetail.aspx?ArticleID=5182&vf=1

DJY
27-05-2009, 10:03 PM
It's "65% light absorbing". But tint is usually quoted as the % of light let through so that makes it a 35% tint.

An old article here, but an interesting read nevertheless:
http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/ArticleDetail.aspx?ArticleID=5182&vf=1

Thanks for the info mate - and interesting link as well!
Lucky I'm not in S.A. so it sounds like in the future if I want to tint the front driver and passenger side windows (to match the side rears) I can!

Mmm