PDA

View Full Version : Taking Delivery

Paragon
15-05-2009, 01:13 PM
Hi for those who have already taken delivery of their cars is it worth having the dealer run over any special operations or anything in a handover or is it not worth it. I bought the car interstate and would rather just have the car transported but if I did have to drive its only 3 hours from Sydney to Canberra. Thanks :)

Transporter
15-05-2009, 03:43 PM
Go to pick it up, 300km drive is good for a new car cause running in - longer trips better than short ones. You will also check the condition on the spot and make sure that everything is functional incl. all keys and the car is clean, in out and no scratches. :)

High-Fidelity
15-05-2009, 04:59 PM
Go to pick it up, 300km drive is good for a new car cause running in - longer trips better than short ones. You will also check the condition on the spot and make sure that everything is functional incl. all keys and the car is clean, in out and no scratches. :)

Longer trips may be better than short ones for running in, but as long as the oil comes up to temp and stays there for a while it should be OK.

The biggest thing for running in is to make sure that engine speed does not remain constant and to make sure that the engine experiences varying loads. That doesn't mean to rev it's ring off or anything...

Lots of running in threads all around the shop, worth searching for.

Ben.

Bayman
17-05-2009, 11:21 PM

I will pick my TDI 103 MY09 up this week and the mob I bought it off normally deliver to your home but if I am paying 50K for ane car I will personally check it right over before I drive it out and sign the papers. I was in Camberwell VW one afternoon and these guys were all over a Passat Wagon picking faults and literally went on for over an hour.

Apart from scratches, dents? , marks etc and poor installation of any accessories fitted, how does one go about politely doing this without looking a complete nerd. I would personally consider taking 10 - 20 mins as I reckon I would be looking harder than the technician doing the predelivery check. White is harder to see faults than black so I just hope the lighting is good. I'll take a torch as well might be a good idea, any other things to look out for?

Transporter
18-05-2009, 12:04 AM
I will pick my TDI 103 MY09 up this week and the mob I bought it off normally deliver to your home but if I am paying 50K for ane car I will personally check it right over before I drive it out and sign the papers. I was in Camberwell VW one afternoon and these guys were all over a Passat Wagon picking faults and literally went on for over an hour.

Apart from scratches, dents? , marks etc and poor installation of any accessories fitted, how does one go about politely doing this without looking a complete nerd. I would personally consider taking 10 - 20 mins as I reckon I would be looking harder than the technician doing the predelivery check. White is harder to see faults than black so I just hope the lighting is good. I'll take a torch as well might be a good idea, any other things to look out for?

If you are taking somebody with you, he/she can help with the checking. Discus beforehand who is checking what, it will take less time. Dealer will be explaining the controls and functions in the car to you and second person can be looking for the possible faults. Check interior, if it is clean including roof lining and the seatbelts, condition of the seats. Take the car outside if it is in the showroom and check paintwork look for any possible damage that could happen in transport (different shade of paint). Make sure that any fault is properly recorded and you have a copy. Check spare tyre, tool kit incl. jack and everything that should come with the car, check that you have books that come with the car, correct no. plates fitted and registration sticker. Lift up the bonnet and check that oil dipstick is fully in, engine oil cap fitted. Check all functions of the car in out if the dealer skips it. In the owners manual is the page where they should tick that they explained the controls and functions to you and also that all the keys are working. There is also date when they received the car and when the pre-delivery inspection was carried out.

There is nothing wrong about pointing the faults out - they should pick them up and fix them before they deliver the car to you. And don't be shy.

Sanman
18-05-2009, 07:09 AM
Apart from scratches, dents? , marks etc and poor installation of any accessories fitted,

You only have to look for scratches, dents, etc - as these are very hard to blame upon the dealer once you drive out the dealership. All the rest are warranty items to be fixed at first service. Keep a list in the glovebox.
I'll spend about 10 min walking around examining the paint, checking spare tyre, reading the build plate, that's it.

Bayman
19-05-2009, 12:34 AM
You only have to look for scratches, dents, etc - as these are very hard to blame upon the dealer once you drive out the dealership. All the rest are warranty items to be fixed at first service. Keep a list in the glovebox.
I'll spend about 10 min walking around examining the paint, checking spare tyre, reading the build plate, that's it.

Thanks fellas, but does anyone know the best slimline number plate frames for a Tiguan. The dealer uses covered frames that use 4 countersunk screws on each corner of the plate which makes me chringe a bit. I don't want the dealers name on my Tig for ever.

Arctra
20-05-2009, 01:39 PM
Thanks for this thread, it's been useful. I take delivery tomorrow and am very excite.

Just something, should I find dents, scratches, paint damage, etc., what do I do? Refuse to take delivery or make them note it, take delivery, and then take it back for them to fix later? e.g. first service?

How many km's do you do before the first service as a matter of interest?

Are there any peculiarities with the Tig I need to look out for during the inspection? Problem buttons/knobs/switches etc? The advice given so far is pretty generic for taking delivery of any vehicle (tho still useful!)

Cheers!

NZTiguan
20-05-2009, 02:13 PM
Thanks for this thread, it's been useful. I take delivery tomorrow and am very excite.

Just something, should I find dents, scratches, paint damage, etc., what do I do? Refuse to take delivery or make them note it, take delivery, and then take it back for them to fix later? e.g. first service?

How many km's do you do before the first service as a matter of interest?

Are there any peculiarities with the Tig I need to look out for during the inspection? Problem buttons/knobs/switches etc? The advice given so far is pretty generic for taking delivery of any vehicle (tho still useful!)

Cheers!

IMHO ensure that a note is made by yourself AND the dealer of any faults you find but there really shouldn't be any cos that's what the dealer's staff should have spent the best part of a days work on the pre-sale inspection for. Then drive off with a smile on your dial. In NZ we don't do a service until 15,000 km or one year BUT some dealers like to have the vehicle in for a check over at 3 months or thereabouts. I had mine back in for the tow-bar fitting and they dealt with a couple of minor rattles then. There's nothing I've heard of that you have to be careful of and I'm on 4 Tig forums World-wide, so I'd just say...............ENJOY !!!!!!

Cheers

blutopless2
20-05-2009, 02:15 PM
i have found it depends upon where you get the car from, who does the handover and whether you have are updating from a previous model vdub or this is your first one.
If its your first one then chances are you will not be that familiar with where all the controls are - so get them to show you everything.
If its an update or an addition to the vdub family then i have found i often know more than the person giving the lesson.
Who does the handover will also determine what level of info gets handed over. Eg bought my jetta last year, a lease car, so got a handover from a Holden salesman as they handle the vdub lease cars. So he had NO idea about where anything was on the car, luckily i had bought a polo the previous year so knew where all the controls and things were, but let him know i was not happy with this handover.
Most showrooms now have a handover area where the lighting should be intensified to give you the best look at the cars paint etc, this is where i would be going over the car for dents, scratches etc.
Make sure all buttons, locks, windows, doors, switches, handles etc operate as they should.
I know that you will want to just get in and drive away due to the excitement but hold back and take your time with the inspection as it will save you the hassle later if something is damaged and you drove off.
If there is something you dont feel is right just tell them, get them to record the problem and agree on a time to bring it back to fix.
Some things can obviously wait till first service, which i assume is now 15000k's for all vdubs.

DJY
20-05-2009, 05:51 PM
Most showrooms now have a handover area where the lighting should be intensified to give you the best look at the cars paint etc, this is where i would be going over the car for dents, scratches etc.

I discovered today - not only does my dealer have a hand over area...
I gather they do a whole "unveiling" ceremony!
I always thought one separate section of the showroom was just to highlight a car - and there is one in there "under wraps" (red car cover)...
but the Manager told me today - that no that is where they do their 'delivery'. There is a whole ceremony?!?!!!

Pullstarter
20-05-2009, 06:01 PM
I've heard this about Lennock before David, apparently they do make quite a fuss, I'll let you know tomorrow afternoon :biggrin:

DJY
20-05-2009, 06:04 PM
I've heard this about Lennock before David, apparently they do make quite a fuss, I'll let you know tomorrow afternoon :biggrin:

Indeed you will mate!!!!
There was a car under the red cover this afternoon - but I was told it wasn't yours... and didn't look like a Tiguan (shape wise) either.

I asked!

Maybe we should have a local Tiguan meet, photo op, or a more exclusive Black Club!

Hope tomorrow goes well mate! You must be pumped after the wait!

Paragon
20-05-2009, 08:51 PM
Same, I am having mine delivered Thursday afternoon as well. I ended up getting it from Sydney as it was much much cheaper than what the Canberra dealers would offer and includes extra warranty also, can't wait!

Already have some RS4 19s in gunmetal already to go on. Will have to see then whether to lower it or not, probably not though as the wife wants the car to be comfortable too.

Pullstarter
20-05-2009, 09:13 PM
Make sure you post some pics up with the rims, I'm really hanging to see a Tig with some of those on it.

Pullstarter
20-05-2009, 09:15 PM
Indeed you will mate!!!!
There was a car under the red cover this afternoon - but I was told it wasn't yours... and didn't look like a Tiguan (shape wise) either.

I asked!

Maybe we should have a local Tiguan meet, photo op, or a more exclusive Black Club!

Hope tomorrow goes well mate! You must be pumped after the wait!
pumped would be an understatement LOL.

Sharkie
21-05-2009, 06:08 AM
For all of those picking up their cars in the next few days .... enjoy .... how I hate you right now ....:)

Need pics ASAP.

:pics:

blutopless2
21-05-2009, 08:26 AM
I discovered today - not only does my dealer have a hand over area...
I gather they do a whole "unveiling" ceremony!
I always thought one separate section of the showroom was just to highlight a car - and there is one in there "under wraps" (red car cover)...
but the Manager told me today - that no that is where they do their 'delivery'. There is a whole ceremony?!?!!!

lol... some do this.
We had a similar thing done when i got my jetta... walked into the inspection area only to see my car there and a pedestal next to it with a piece of paper that said something like ... "Congratulations Mr x... on the delivery of your new car " etc etc.... my wife and i looked at each other and pissed ourselves laughing.... just thought it was a bit wanky - was waiting for the theme from Rocky to start blaring over the speakers or something.... salesman didn't see what was funny... :)
guess some people might get a kick out of it.

Arctra
21-05-2009, 10:59 AM
For all of those picking up their cars in the next few days .... enjoy .... how I hate you right now ....:)

Need pics ASAP.

:pics:

Will these do?
Just took delivery 30 minutes ago. Tig TDI. Comfort, leather, off-road, sunroof, and park assist.

Gallery: http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/newforum/upload/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=611

http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/newforum/upload/vbpgimage.php?do=full&p=1021
http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/newforum/upload/vbpgimage.php?do=full&p=1026
http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/newforum/upload/vbpgimage.php?do=full&p=1024
http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/newforum/upload/vbpgimage.php?do=full&p=1025

NZTiguan
21-05-2009, 12:15 PM
Very nice. I see the Ausi ones are like the NZ ones with no 4motion badging !! Guess it's the same as here because they're ALL 4motion so no need to badge it. I did mine anyway, if anybody's interested they could have a look at

http://www.mytiguan.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=5343

Cheers

DJY
21-05-2009, 05:21 PM
Will these do?
Just took delivery 30 minutes ago. Tig TDI. Comfort, leather, off-road, sunroof, and park assist.

Very nice!!!!
Can't wait to get mine tomorrow!!!!
Looking forward to see the two or three other members that picked theirs up today too!

Pullstarter
21-05-2009, 05:37 PM
Just picked mine up too! WOOHOO!! Sorry no pics, was dark by the time I got back frow showing it off :) Black 125 Manual, comfort,offroad, fogs. Will get some sexy pics on the weekend in wollongong by the beach hopefully :biggrin:

DJY
21-05-2009, 05:41 PM
Just picked mine up too! WOOHOO!! Sorry no pics, was dark by the time I got back frow showing it off :) Black 125 Manual, comfort,offroad, fogs. Will get some sexy pics on the weekend in wollongong by the beach hopefully :biggrin:

WOOHOO Congrats mate!!!
Go take a photo in the garage at least!!!!

Did they do the whole unveiling, ceremony as well?
Score any freebies out of them?

Hope it is meeting all expectations buddy!

Pullstarter
21-05-2009, 05:47 PM
Yeah thy did the whole covered in a red tarp reveal thing LOL. Scored some carpet matts which i'll have to pick up next week. VERY happy with the car, pulls very hard for its weight i'm surprised :)

P.S. pretty sure I saw your car hiding in the corner too :)

Transporter
21-05-2009, 06:20 PM
It sounds like early Christmas, congratulation guys, enjoy.:toast:

DJY
21-05-2009, 06:47 PM
Yeah thy did the whole covered in a red tarp reveal thing LOL. Scored some carpet matts which i'll have to pick up next week. VERY happy with the car, pulls very hard for its weight i'm surprised :)

P.S. pretty sure I saw your car hiding in the corner too :)

WOOHOO!!!!!
My 'unveiling' is now 22 hrs away!