PDA

View Full Version : has anyone upgraded their stereos?

Veee1.8t
18-12-2006, 07:29 PM
thinking about upgrading mine, no idea what to get though in terms of what double din to get thats good or is it worth upgrading speakers aswell.

does anyone actually know what system is in the gti allready in terms of model and what speakers are used?

if anyone has upgraded theirs and has some piccies on offer that would be great.

cheers

gtigrl
19-12-2006, 09:07 AM
Thinking of upgrading too thanks to my volume knob that keeps turning itself up and now my speakers are getting scratchy. ;)

Eddy
19-12-2006, 09:23 AM
Thinking of upgrading too thanks to my volume knob that keeps turning itself up and now my speakers are getting scratchy. ;)
Hoyhoy.
Ah, the volume knob. Yes I use to think the knob was wierd & changing volume. But try playing with the knob [volume] when the car is sitting still & you'll find tiny notches, if you leave it in between notches at the desired level, you should find the volume will stay steady.

Timbo
19-12-2006, 09:27 AM
Actually, the stereo has a feature which progressively increases volume with speed. You can set various levels (rates of increase) using the tuning knob :)

Eddy
19-12-2006, 09:32 AM
Actually, the stereo has a feature which progressively increases volume with speed. You can set various levels (rates of increase) using the tuning knob :)
Hoyhoy.
Learn something everyday.

Eddy
19-12-2006, 11:45 AM
Hoyhoy.
gtigrl--------gtigrl.
This Timbo, he's on the ball. I did also have problems with vol. knob half way between notches.------- But like Timbo says try the GALA setting [booklet No. 3.4_ page6] in the manual. Tricky stuff, first hold in the tuning knob, you will get GALA with numbers 1 to 9 by turning the knob left or right, which will give you varying volume ratios per speed.
Modern gadets with my vintage brain. Just too much.

BlackVr6ix
19-12-2006, 12:33 PM
Can be done, i'll try and dig up some photos of a couple we did at my previous job.

gtigrl
19-12-2006, 12:47 PM
yeah I keep finding that with increased speed comes increased happiness and volume, particularly with the rock and roll genre ;)

Timbo
19-12-2006, 01:30 PM
yeah I keep finding that with increased speed comes increased happiness and volume, particularly with the rock and roll genre ;)
After my own heart :D No doof doof :rolleyes:

jasn78
21-12-2006, 09:14 PM
if anyone has upgraded theirs and has some piccies on offer that would be great.

cheers

Vee in it is a double din blauplankt head unit with phillips 6" front splits. I got mine done by some guys in Brisbane "Northfield at Mcgregor" did a really good job except for the part i mentioned in my other post. I would say if your doing one do the head unit first single din is fine and they used a pocket from a Mazda 3 for the other space. Also if you do consider speakers factor in some Sound deadining as the door trims are metal (bit tinny without the stuff) and forget mounting an amp under your front seats cause there is a metal bump in the middle which meant my amp is mounted in the boot.

When i get a chance pics will be posted.

Hope that helps

Veee1.8t
21-12-2006, 09:47 PM
hey jas,,

that did mate, thanx...some piccies would be great, in a noobie when it comes to car audio, so i have no idea what i need or dont need, at the moment i just wanna upgrade the head unit, was looking at an alpine dvd but they are so pricey, ridiculous as im on a student :rolleyes: budget,

do u know what speakers are in the car as in dimensions and sizes, and are they worth upgrading?

cheers

jasn78
21-12-2006, 10:50 PM
Vee u only need a dvd if ur running a tv unit. Personally i wouldnt bother but u might want to for you my order would be headunit 1st then front speakers mine are 6 and 1/2 inch boston accousticsfitted perfectly then if u want some more grunt add a nice 4 channel amp and maybe a sub only prob being are you willing to lose boot space over it im not so my sub stayed out and my amp got mounted on the left hand side in the boot but as i said all up to you i would just say sound deaden your doors as part of the speakers.

But be warned for installation of speakers amp hu wiring and dynamat it was 900 bucks without the gear

Kai
22-12-2006, 09:57 PM
Hey Guys,

I’ve been reading this forum for a while and decided to sign up as this thread suited me :P

Anyways,

I’ve done the headunit & front splits and added a few goodies to the list as well. :)

Alpine Type X splits x2
Alpine DVD supportive Headunit
Alpine 700watt amp x2
Alpine Type R 12inch Sub

I got all this installed and professionally tuned for $400, that was fairly cheap at the time and some companies wanted 800+, I went to Northfield Moorooka in Brisbane (very well known company) who knew exactly what they were doing and did a fantastic job.

-
Kai

shaneth
22-12-2006, 10:04 PM
Welcome Kai, Sounds like a decent setup, Do you have any pics. Enjoy your stay, best forum around imo.

Kai
22-12-2006, 10:36 PM
Welcome Kai, Sounds like a decent setup, Do you have any pics. Enjoy your stay, best forum around imo.

yep, i find this forum doesnt contain any bitching like others, so i love it.

I havent got any of the sub + mono amp, but in the morning i will take some photos for you :)

Here is a link to the car. (photos are down the bottom of the few that are there)

http://www.boostcruising.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=161045

Golfer
22-12-2006, 11:18 PM
Welcome to VWwatercooled Kai. Nice to see more Qld dubbers joining us. And yeah, we're the friendly forum :)

I guess great taste in cars and being a friendly mob go hand in hand :D

Hot ride too...

Cheers!
John :cool:

redpologti
31-01-2007, 07:26 PM
just wanted to know has anyone installed a set of front speakers themselves, having trouble taking the door trims off
thanks

saba
31-01-2007, 07:56 PM
i've changed all the speakers apart from the tweeters in the airbag columns

the door trims at the front are a bit tricky...they are clip on and were the door handles are on the inside their is some nicely hidden screws behind the plastic bits. Once these screws come off you can basically unclip the whole panel...

As for the front speakers, the standard ones are riveted in so u need a drill to drill them out and put the new speakers in with some spacers

SidGTi
31-01-2007, 09:37 PM
Thanks for the info about the front speakers! Wasn't sure if they were 6 inchers but now that you say they are that certainly takes the guess work out. I've currently got a Pioneer head unit installed, with a Crossfire 4 Ch Amp. I'm looking to buy a sub next. It's just a shame the boot is so small! I'm only going to settle for a 12 inch sub.

Edit: Saba what size are the rear speakers by the way? 6 inch also? Or 4 inch? Did you upgrade the rear tweeters also?

saba
31-01-2007, 11:10 PM
i've got 2 12's sitting in the boot...fits no worries but just cant store anything else in their!

as for the rear speakers, i just put some 3 way 6 inch pioneer speakers and disconnected the tweeters

was a big job doing it all by ourselves, took us around 10 hrs (started 6pm finished 4am) but thats also because we had no idea about how the polo was setup ie door trims and were to pass thru the power cable from the amp to the battery in the engine bay...

SidGTi
05-02-2007, 04:08 PM
Finally had the sub put in last saturday. Pretty happy with the setup already. The splits are still the stockies. They do a good job I must say. Might not even change them. Sounds fine. :D Changing the head unit and having it tuned made a big difference.

kevvie
12-03-2007, 02:43 PM
So just confirming...are speakers 6 1/2 inch or 6 inch front and rear....??

mdonohoe
13-03-2007, 08:38 PM
FYI - If your changing head unit I can provide pin-outs for the speakers.

Also, if you place your new head unit in the bottom DIN and use a $20.00 "Clip In DIN" from Supercheap(easily available) it will fit perfectly if you use Double Sided tape to "chock" up the back.

Cheap way to do it :-) Looks factory.

Thanks
Matt

Timbo
14-03-2007, 07:07 AM
Pics please :)

mdonohoe
20-03-2007, 09:28 PM
Sub or my install?

BL33SU
20-03-2007, 10:20 PM
i amp both front and rear stock speakers.. turned out prety nice, crisp sound and added a sub for bass..

morbo2000
29-03-2007, 09:42 PM
How do you remove the stock head unit? I've read references to VW removal tools that slot into the 4 holes in the HU.

If you don't have to pull the dash apart to replace the HU how do you mount the new one in (considering it's a double-din hole and i have a single-din replacement to put in)? Are there mounting holes to screw into or do you use use the mounting bracket that comes with the new headunit (I have a Pioneer 5850MP with an iPod kit to put in). I want to put the HU in the top with the supercheap pocket (mentioned above) put in the bottom (only because i think it would look weird to me being the other way around as HU to top was how it was in my Magna).

mdonohoe would can I please get the speaker pin-outs from you? Thanks.

Are there any other electrical issues I need to be aware of when putting the new HU in? I've seen references to CAN-BUS wiring but i'm not sure if that applies to the polo. I grabbed a male ISO socket to bare wires adapter so I wouldn't have to solder into the factory wiring (hopefully male is the right one, i haven't pulled the stock hu out yet so i'm not sure if i have the right adapter).

Where do you run your power through the firewall for a sub?

Sorry for the long post, i'm a bit of a rambler. :)

kevvie
12-04-2007, 09:46 PM
I put in a Clarion DXZ466MP single DIN and left the standard speakers on the advice of the stereo shop (Autobarn). Cost me $400 installed, of which $50 was the special VW antenna adapter. Sounds much much better than the standard unit but not as good as it did in the shop, and probably should have spent a little more. So hard to tell when one stereo shop says once you get two up from the base model all the units have the same sound quality and another guy says they are all different.

Apparently the most popular deck on the market is the Kenwood version with built in intertia meter to read 0-100km times :? Roughly $600.

May do the speakers but to improve on standard is about $300/pair, plus another couple of hundred to fit with sound deadening.

shaneth
12-04-2007, 09:49 PM
cant stand kenwood personally. Clarion is much better imho.

dodgeGTI
16-04-2007, 03:37 PM
I've got an amp and 10inch sub from an old car, is it possible to hook this up to the factory head unit? :confused:

BL33SU
16-04-2007, 03:42 PM
I've got an amp and 10inch sub from an old car, is it possible to hook this up to the factory head unit? :confused:

line level convertors

BlackVr6ix
16-04-2007, 04:17 PM
just make sure you use good quality ones otherwise your just asking for engine noise!

dodgeGTI
16-04-2007, 04:36 PM
Awesome, thanks guys.
Now I just need ways to make this week go faster so i can take delivery of the car on Friday!

:grin:

leck
17-04-2007, 07:25 PM
ok popped into freeway dandenong today and had a bit of a look. Im pretty tempted to get one of those eclipse AV6000 screens as its double din, and has inbuilt nav and SIMPLE stereo controls. Fairly pricy, but considering the other navs on the market, itd be nice to have it all integrated. Bout 3500 installed for it from initiial discussion.

need to decide whether im going to put in some decent splits and an amp too. Anyone had a go with that headunit yet?

BlackVr6ix
17-04-2007, 07:34 PM
ok popped into freeway dandenong today and had a bit of a look. Im pretty tempted to get one of those eclipse AV6000 screens as its double din, and has inbuilt nav and SIMPLE stereo controls. Fairly pricy, but considering the other navs on the market, itd be nice to have it all integrated. Bout 3500 installed for it from initiial discussion.

need to decide whether im going to put in some decent splits and an amp too. Anyone had a go with that headunit yet?

What price did they quote you on that unit? have you looked into the kenwood unit with the nav? im pretty sure you can get that setup with the bluetooth setup for cheaper than the eclipse. I'll get you a firm price if you are interested.

leck
17-04-2007, 08:54 PM
yeah that would be awesome if you could.

im only in the prelim stages and 3500 fitted seems quite steep, although it is a very nice unit, simple, fast etc.

Cant be bothered fiddling with a navman or anything, just want it in the car when i need it

dodgey GTI
20-04-2007, 04:21 PM
Tuesday Dude! Sorry...........

GTIkitten
30-06-2007, 03:49 PM
Hey guys :) just a very minor thing wondering if this happens to everyone.......

When i'm driving along with the radio on at a reasonable volume level and I flick over to listen to a CD the volume virtually doubles and nearly blows my head off... doesn't matter what CD I have happens with every one.

Is this normal or should I get it checked out? :?:

jasn78
30-06-2007, 04:12 PM
Hey guys :) just a very minor thing wondering if this happens to everyone.......

When i'm driving along with the radio on at a reasonable volume level and I flick over to listen to a CD the volume virtually doubles and nearly blows my head off... doesn't matter what CD I have happens with every one.

Is this normal or should I get it checked out? :?:

Thats just the difference between CD quality and Radio happens with all head units I've ever used.

Adam
09-07-2007, 07:02 PM
Ok. Just FYI. For those who's looking at DIY installation of a headunit in their Polo, and don't wish to cut any wires. There's an ebay seller which sells a wiring harness suitable for the Polo.

Here's the link to the seller:
http://myworld.ebay.com/ebaymotors/autoware302/

And it's the " Vw Volkswagen 02+ Car Radio Wiring Harness Stereo Wire"

Works out to be 13-14 Australia Dollar delivered in less than a week!

More Details later.....will have to install it tonight! =)

morbo2000
09-07-2007, 08:06 PM
By the looks of it that adapter doesn't have a CANBUS adapter so you'll have to get switching power and illumination from elsewhere (ie: the cigarette lighter socket). It still saves a lot of hassle though as you'll only have to splice for those two things and not have to worry about all of the speaker wires.

Adam
09-07-2007, 10:09 PM
Would someone be able to explain what these following means?

SAFE:
+UB:
CAN/L
CAN/H

Edit:

Ok. Sorry to be a pain. but while i am searching for what the upper word means... the link below say the 9N3 polo doesn't use CAN-BUS?

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2465335

And. i don't have any seperate connectors to the car, other than the 2x 8 pins plug...

I am confused now

BlackVr6ix
10-07-2007, 08:37 AM
Blaupunkt/Bosch make a canbus adaptor loom that makes it plug and play. not cheap thou.

morbo2000
10-07-2007, 06:49 PM
Would someone be able to explain what these following means?

SAFE:
+UB:
CAN/L
CAN/H

Edit:

Ok. Sorry to be a pain. but while i am searching for what the upper word means... the link below say the 9N3 polo doesn't use CAN-BUS?

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2465335

And. i don't have any seperate connectors to the car, other than the 2x 8 pins plug...

I am confused now

As far as I could tell SAFE and +UB both seemed to be permanent power. I think when I did mine my mate hooked up the permanent power to SAFE. There may be a difference but not one we could tell with a multimeter.

CAN/L and CAN/H are the CANBUS connections. You won't be able to use them for anything with the harness you have. This is where the power on/off, illumination, speed etc signals come down. You'll have to either use a canbus adapter as mentioned above which will generate the signals on separate wires for you, or find another source for it (ie: the cigarette lighter socket as i mentioned before)

morbo2000
10-07-2007, 06:53 PM
I'm going to post the reply I sent to your PM a while back so that so that other people can read it or add to it. Some of the things you've asked about i've mentioned in the message.

Hi Adam,

The only extra thing I needed to buy was an adapter for the aerial. I wasn't able to find one in a shop but my mate who is an auto elec sourced it for me. I think this is the one...
http://www.aerpro.com.au/list.php?pc...n o=&cat_sno=
It's a VW/BMW to Japanese aerial adapter.

The only other thing i bought was a single din pocket to go underneath and some masonite to make up a support for the head unit when sitting in the top din.

I don't know if you need the following info or not. I tend to ramble so forgive the length.

One of the difficulties with the Polo is that it uses CAN BUS for everything instead of individual wires for each function which is why it's hard to get a wiring harness. Fortunately there are ways around it.

My auto electrician friend helped me do the install so he was able to think of a trick that i hadn't considered.

The way he does his installs is to splice into the existing loom rather than cutting the original plug off. That way if you ever need to replace the stock head unit you don't have to rewire the original plug. You'll have to do this for permanent positive, negative and all your speaker wires. The stock head unit has a wiring diagram sticker on it though which takes the guess work out of it.

There are two positives listed. One is marked as SAFE and i can't remember what the other is marked but from what I could tell with the multimeter they are always permanent positive so using either for that should be fine. You'll have to use the negative from the wiring harness as well as there isn't any metal to screw into close by in the dash.

Because of the CAN BUS there is no accessories or illumination switching wires in the harness (there is CAN H and CAN L, one of which looks like it might be switched with the ignition but isn't so don't try and use them). You can get these from the cigarette lighter/aux power socket though. There are screws in under the rubber mat in front of the ash tray that you have to unscrew and you have to unclip the plastic cub holder area from around the handbrake lever which should allow you to pull up the plastic from around the ashtray to get into the ciggy lighter.

Unfortunately doing it like this you lose the feature that keeps the radio going after you turn the car off until you open the door. The only way around this is to spend probably $100 on a wiring harness adapter from the UK that includes an accessories wire that is generated from the CAN BUS signal.

If you find this info useful it might be an idea to post it in the headunit removal thread so that other people can find it. I'll leave that up to you.

If you have any questions send me a pm.

Ben.

Adam
11-07-2007, 12:06 AM
I'm going to post the reply I sent to your PM a while back so that so that other people can read it or add to it. Some of the things you've asked about i've mentioned in the message.

coolies! yeh sorry. i re-read your pm and realised half the stuff was answered already!. =(...

Something i found out, and not with full certainty is that "SAFE" is a constant +12V, and UB+ is switch?????

Adam
11-07-2007, 03:08 PM
Got the car back from warranty service....Got everything hoooked up....Heres a trail run for the headunit. One problem so far is that the headunit doesn't turn off when the key is out. :S ? maybe its that one hour thing. so will have to investigate more!

http://img160.imageshack.us/img160/8690/p1010231so4.jpg
http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/2629/p1010233hr8.jpg

morbo2000
11-07-2007, 03:21 PM
Got the car back from warranty service....Got everything hoooked up....Heres a trail run for the headunit. One problem so far is that the headunit doesn't turn off when the key is out. :S ? maybe its that one hour thing. so will have to investigate more!

[IMG]http://img160.imageshack.us/img160/8690/p1

That's why my mate and I didn't think there was any switching voltage directly in the loom. +UB definately didn't seem switched to us. That's why he used the cigarette lighter socket to get switching power as it is switched with the ignition.

Adam
11-07-2007, 03:24 PM
That's why he used the cigarette lighter socket to get switching power as it is switched with the ignition.

I thought about that right. But doesn't the ciga lighter socket remains on after the key is out as well? cuz mine can still charges things when key is out?:confused:

morbo2000
11-07-2007, 07:44 PM
Hmmm, mine doesn't. Well actually I haven't tried but I know the stereo turns off and that's definately where we got switching power and illumination

ACTGTI
12-07-2007, 10:18 AM
I thought about that right. But doesn't the ciga lighter socket remains on after the key is out as well? cuz mine can still charges things when key is out?:confused:

Mine stays on too after ignition is switched off and key is out. I was going to have this changed at dealer because I can see myself leaving something plugged in for too long and battery going flat.

BlackVr6ix
12-07-2007, 10:26 AM
AFAIK that "acc" feed turns itself off after ~1 hour.

Adam
11-09-2007, 03:41 PM
Hey just bumming this thread..

Got myself a P450.4 amp, and will be mounting it in the boot. Just want to know if anyone has amped their system before? and where did you pass through the power wire from the engine to the cabin??

Thanks

pomme
11-09-2007, 04:05 PM
I had mine installed (i would have done it myself, but the head unit and splits were a mission). They drilled a hole in the firewall near passenger footwell. Went down passenger side of the car, under rear seats to driver side of boot, it was screwed onto rear driverside seat.

Its neat to the eye, but wires everywhere when u look... signal noise wasn't an issue, even though they ran it all down the same side, power and racs, and speaker.

Hope that helps

ACTGTI
11-09-2007, 08:02 PM
Hey just bumming this thread..

Got myself a P450.4 amp, and will be mounting it in the boot. Just want to know if anyone has amped their system before? and where did you pass through the power wire from the engine to the cabin??

Thanks

I found a way to get the wire to the battery without drilling a hole.

In the passenger footwell, the left side kick panel comes off to reveal a grommet. The wire can be passed through the grommet, around and in behind the wheel guard (which you need to take off), and up through an existing hole at the top adjacent to battery.

A bit of a pain in the a33 but worth it I think, I've never liked the idea of drilling through the metal.

leck
11-09-2007, 08:07 PM
small world for us polo people eh adam ;).

The guys that did mine found the same gromit mentioned above on the drivers side (amp sits under drivers seat in mine).

Question back, did the wiring harness work ok for getting everything wired up? Mines still running off the cig lighter and i wouldnt mind fixing it up so its properly done

Adam
11-09-2007, 09:25 PM
small world for us polo people eh adam ;).

The guys that did mine found the same gromit mentioned above on the drivers side (amp sits under drivers seat in mine).

Question back, did the wiring harness work ok for getting everything wired up? Mines still running off the cig lighter and i wouldnt mind fixing it up so its properly done

Hey Leck,

Thanks for the replies on both forums! =)
With the Adapter, I get power, but i'll have to redo the accessories so it turns itself off when the key is out. (so, i'll have to tap mine into the cigeratte socket) Everything else runs on the wiring harness.

Thats aside. I am slowly building up my system. Some pictures would definitely settle some questions for me! So, any help would be much appreciated.

In regards to what i am planning to do, I am seeing whether this will fit nicely into the 2DIN socket, (http://www.aerpro.com.au/list.php?pcode=FP9060&cat_name=in-dash%20mounting%20kits&cat_no=09&cat_sno=237
to properly fit my headunit in. (it's not secured at the moment)

Also, i am looking at getting this: a subaru pocket with a door cover to fil the hole up top.
http://subaruproparts.com/images/wrxpocket.jpg

The project is slowly coming together. Today i put in my power cable from boot to the front pax seat and took out my spare wheel cover (had to cut something) so going to use it as a pattern for my false floor.

hopefully, it'll all be nice and fit soon!:D

leck
12-09-2007, 12:10 AM
ill pop in and see the guys tomorrow and see if they have any of the install pics floating around.

The reason for the harness was the headunit flickers when headlights are on. Its apparently to do with the cambus (or whatever its called) so its a simple matter of cutting it into another wire under the dash, but id prefer to avoid that if at all possible.

Adam
13-09-2007, 03:56 PM
I found a way to get the wire to the battery without drilling a hole.

In the passenger footwell, the left side kick panel comes off to reveal a grommet. The wire can be passed through the grommet, around and in behind the wheel guard (which you need to take off), and up through an existing hole at the top adjacent to battery.

A bit of a pain in the a33 but worth it I think, I've never liked the idea of drilling through the metal.

thanks dude! top notch! spent the last hour pulling the power cable through....was abit dirty, but well worth it! =D

QUESTION:

Is having the fuse box/holder of the battery a good idea?? i just put mine there cuz there's no where else to put it, and the kicker fuse is a heavy bitch..

Also, the fuse is rated at 100amp. the amplifier say to fuse it at 60amp.....so, is the higher the more protection? or should i get a 60amp plate?

Thanks guys!!!

pomme
13-09-2007, 05:43 PM
thanks dude! top notch! spent the last hour pulling the power cable through....was abit dirty, but well worth it! =D

QUESTION:

Is having the fuse box/holder of the battery a good idea?? i just put mine there cuz there's no where else to put it, and the kicker fuse is a heavy bitch..

Also, the fuse is rated at 100amp. the amplifier say to fuse it at 60amp.....so, is the higher the more protection? or should i get a 60amp plate?

Thanks guys!!!

Technically, 100amp fuse is less protection. Basically the rating of the fuse determines how much current will flow before the fuse is designed to blow.

The higher the rating, the bigger the fuse wire, and the more current it can handle before it gets too hot, melts and cuts the circuit.

You really want the lower fuse possible... too low and it will blow just by being on... too high, and if there is some sort of problem, it won't blow... the amp will, and then you loose the amp.

That being said, if they gave you a 100amp in the box, it will probably be fine.

marco polo
13-09-2007, 10:44 PM
I didnt have to use the cigarette lighter. There is an accessories wire there that switches on and off the head unit.

morbo2000
14-09-2007, 07:15 PM
I didnt have to use the cigarette lighter. There is an accessories wire there that switches on and off the head unit.

Mine didn't have an accessories wire. Only a CAN-BUS connection that looks a bit like an accessories wire.

Adam
18-09-2007, 12:30 AM
Thanks for all the people's help in making this possible. This started off as a budget install became aN over expenditure! HOWEVER!, it's almost done! As of today, amp and crossover and all wiring are installed I think I'll give myself a bit of a rest as the stealthy boot took the better 9 hours of today's time.......

I shall present you with S-T-E-A-L-T-H

http://aycu23.webshots.com/image/27462/2005421158138256977_rs.jpg
http://aycu07.webshots.com/image/28206/2005416476208158399_rs.jpg
http://aycu21.webshots.com/image/29060/2005491827486131096_rs.jpg
http://aycu35.webshots.com/image/28074/2005427201961191381_rs.jpg

PeterHBne
18-09-2007, 03:04 PM
Won't the amp get too hot being covered?

gti_freak
18-09-2007, 03:11 PM
just wondering why my stock cd player cant play mp3 file cd. Mine is 06 polo gti
Thanks for answering that

BL33SU
18-09-2007, 03:22 PM
Won't the amp get too hot being covered?

he has raised the floor a couple of inches so doesnt overheat

ACTGTI
18-09-2007, 04:34 PM
just wondering why my stock cd player cant play mp3 file cd. Mine is 06 polo gti
Thanks for answering that

'06 Polo here and mine can play mp3 cd.

BRU51N
20-06-2009, 12:08 AM
anyone got the headunit pin out diagram for the standard headunit?

Gti Dave
20-06-2009, 03:10 AM
Has anyone had problems with installing a single din head unit like an alpine one similar to ADAMS one and had a gap between the unit and the single din pocket? I've been wanting to get one installed but have been told differently with every place I go to i.e. JB, Autobarn, and other CAMS dealers. Some say I have to fit a double din in order to ensure there's no unsightly spaces, while another says I need a fascia kit and another says that a single din with a single din pocket will work just fine and no spacing would occur. So which one is correct?

Opinions, experiences and guidance would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

ACTGTI
20-06-2009, 10:40 PM
One of the older (2004) Polo models had a single din stereo and pocket. I'd be getting that kit from Volkswagen.

Look at the pic of dash in this car.

http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/dealer/details.aspx?R=7281524&__Qpb=true&Cr=1&__Ns=pCar_RankSort_Int32|1||pCar_Price_Decimal|1|| pCar_Make_String|0||pCar_Model_String|0&keywords=&__N=1216%201246%201247%201252%201282%204294962746% 204294962745%204294950265&SearchAction=N&silo=1011&seot=0&tsrc=allcarhome&__Nne=15&trecs=29&__sid=121FFCDE7205

The dash looks the same but it has a single din with pocket. Ring your dealer with the VIN in that ad and they should be able to find the part number and give you a quote. I'm guessing about $90

Chuck
21-06-2009, 01:21 PM
Has anyone had problems with installing a single din head unit like an alpine one similar to ADAMS one and had a gap between the unit and the single din pocket? I've been wanting to get one installed but have been told differently with every place I go to i.e. JB, Autobarn, and other CAMS dealers. Some say I have to fit a double din in order to ensure there's no unsightly spaces, while another says I need a fascia kit and another says that a single din with a single din pocket will work just fine and no spacing would occur. So which one is correct?

Opinions, experiences and guidance would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

i got a single din with pocket - no gaps...just gotta find the right pocket i guess

be sure whoever does your install that they guarentee they will not scratch the facia on install!!!

naughty
22-06-2009, 08:59 AM
ive always been using a single din headunit - no gaps at all nor any need for any fascia kits or anything like that - just remove the standard headunit - and dump the new one in after sorting out the wiring harness

philthy
22-06-2009, 12:46 PM
anyone got the headunit pin out diagram for the standard headunit?

Theres a sticker on the back of the unit.

Gti Dave
22-06-2009, 10:29 PM
Thanks for everyone's helpful input. I couldn't decide on whether to get a head unit or upgrade the suspension so I think I'm better off doing the suspension upgrade to improve handling and probably just get the ipod adapter kit installed.

Cheers and thanks again. Everyone's been very helpful.

hazrd
08-09-2010, 12:36 AM
thread revival...

trying to install a pioneer f900bt in my gti but with all the canbus talk i can now see why i get nothing when i turn the car to accessories... and i cant go and splice into the cig because mine is permanent with the ign off aswell

can anyone help me with where i can source a canbus adaptor? ive searched all over ebay and can only find results for all vw cars except the damn polo!

cheers
adam (yeah, another one lol)

vwthunder
08-09-2010, 12:51 AM
I have same Pioneer unit installed by No Limit in South Melbourne, as it was too much stuffing around to do it myself
You need the CAN-01 unit, which they sell.

vwthunder
08-09-2010, 12:55 AM
Or here

UNIVERSAL CAN-BUS ADAPTOR INTERFACE CAN-01 on eBay (end time 07-Sep-10 17:57:45 BST) (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/UNIVERSAL-CAN-BUS-ADAPTOR-INTERFACE-CAN-01-/290380437239?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item439c05d6f7)

Connects2 CAN-01 Universal CAN-Bus interface CAN-01 by Connects2 - Low Cost Car Audio secure online shop (http://www.lowcostcaraudio.co.uk/lcca/mia/d/connects2+can+01+universal+can+bus+interface/pid/9842760/)

I think if you get it here it is around the $250 mark

Heaps cheaper from UK, depends if you can wait or not

Dr Rudi
08-09-2010, 07:27 AM
Howzit, For all you guys out there installing new stereos and are worried about wiring for accessories power you can tap into the thick red and white wire that feeds switched power to the turn dial controls that sit under the head unit in dash. I used this when I recently installed my 2din JVC XR-816. (my cigarette lighter had constant + too.).

seangti
08-09-2010, 08:55 AM
Hopefully not too far off topic - the stock CD player can play MP3's, anyone know if there's a software update to allow it to play WMA files?

What a PITA it was to find out it doesn't do WMA as i'd thought they'd make it dual compatibile...

hazrd
08-09-2010, 11:01 AM
thanks for all the help guys :)

i can wait so ill order that one from the UK ebay store, im still waiting for the fascia for it anyway

tooch
08-09-2010, 11:31 AM
I installed an F900BT into my GTI last year, bought the canbus adapter, it didn't work.
I ended up finding another wire in the head unit loom which works basically as a switched power source, it's for the antenna if I remember correctly. Works 100%, even keeps the stereo on until you take the key out just as the stock unit does.

The only thing you'll miss out with by not having the canbus adapter is the speed sensor for the GPS, it only ever affects me if I have the navigation on while I'm in a tunnel which I never really do anyway.

kaanage
01-10-2010, 04:26 PM
Can anyone here advise me of which antenna adapter I need to replace the stock unit (RCD200) in my Polo?
Someone with a new Polo used this one - VW Dual Fakra Powered Antenna Adapter (http://www.advancedice.com.au/products2/Antenna-Adapters/CT27AA25)
but I'm wondering if the older Polo is the same.

Giallorosso
05-10-2010, 02:05 PM
I installed a Pioneer AVIC-F20BT a couple of weeks ago. Much better than the stock system and adds navigation + iPod connectivity.

kaanage
06-10-2010, 06:23 AM
OK, I've pulled out the radio and found it only has a single plug for the aerial but can anyone tell me if I need an amplified aerial adapter or just the $5 passive one?

kaanage
30-11-2010, 08:34 AM
I can confirm that you only need an amplified fakra-DIN aerial adapter if you care about AM reception. For FM, my aftermarket head unit worked just fine without the power connected to my amplified aerial adapter but AM had no reception at all until I connected power to it.

Can anyone advise me on the easiest way to tap into my cigarette lighter cabling? Is there a way to easily disassemble the lower console?

tooch
01-12-2010, 11:42 AM
You don't need to tap into the cig lighter cabling, there is a wire in the loom that works as switched accessories, and behaves the same way as the stock head unit. I believe it is marked as power antenna or something if you look at a pinout diagram.

EDIT: Here you go, found my old post :) http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/f127/polo-stereo-advice-33199-7.html#post435801

kaanage
01-12-2010, 12:09 PM
Thanks!!!
I was testing all the pinouts with a multimeter while I played with the ignition and lights but I missed that because I didn't pull out the key..

Now to pull the head unit out again....

injidup
12-01-2011, 10:23 AM
I pulled out my head unit last night to check the pins on the connector before putting a new head unit in.
If anyone's interested I can post what I found? I'll be putting pins on the new hu wires and plugging straight into the existing connector.
Will grab the illumination feed (to dim the stereo when the lights are on) from the rear window heater switch as it's easier to get to than the aircon controls.
Just waiting for an antenna adaptor then I'll go ahead and do the install.
I'm putting in a Kenwood 2-DIN hu that I picked up in the sales after xmas.

flat6
12-01-2011, 06:48 PM
Sounds good injidup, let us know how you go with the pin layout, thinking about doing the same with mine :D

Cheers

injidup
13-01-2011, 09:56 AM
I went to **** Smith to buy some connector pins but it seems they don't sell that sort of stuff any more. :(
I'll buy an ISO connector and use that.
Will try to get the pin specs up here soon - probably at the weekend as I'm still waiting for the antenna adapter.

Ha! Won't let me type D ick. look: ****

kaanage
14-01-2011, 07:52 AM
Yeah Dićk Smith only sell a very few components now - mostly they sell consumer goods.
You could try Jaycar (http://www.jaycar.com.au/stores.asp?State=Western Australia#Western Australia) but by the time you finish stuffing around, you may as well just get the Kenwood<=>ISO and the VW<=>ISO connectors.

injidup
15-01-2011, 03:33 PM
Sounds good injidup, let us know how you go with the pin layout, thinking about doing the same with mine :D
Cheers
Here are two pics that should help:
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2011/01/5355859347_febc1fc63c-1.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2011/01/5355858543_e900275d20-1.jpg

And a BlurryCam special of my not-so-professional connection with a cannibalised ISO connector:
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2011/01/5355862085_878330bb8a-1.jpg
These wires have been tidied up now!

Hope they're clear enough!

Total cost (not including the head unit): Under $50 (Removal keys for RCD200, ISO Adapter, Fakra antenna adapter)

injidup
15-01-2011, 03:57 PM
Victory by Design: Lotus iPod Video:

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2011/01/5355896363_629b16bf87-1.jpg

And Top Gear

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2011/01/5356509844_908f26f1e7-1.jpg

flat6
15-01-2011, 08:12 PM
that looks awesome, you have inspired me to burn more ca$h :) cheers

injidup
15-01-2011, 11:18 PM
Sorry!
The head unit was under $500 in the sales.

kaanage
17-01-2011, 11:55 AM
Will grab the illumination feed (to dim the stereo when the lights are on) from the rear window heater switch as it's easier to get to than the aircon controls.

So which lead to the rear window heater switch did you end up splicing into for the illumination feed?

injidup
17-01-2011, 12:49 PM
So which lead to the rear window heater switch did you end up splicing into for the illumination feed?

---------
|1 2 3 4|
|- - - 5|
---------

Pin No. 3
There are only 5 wires. 3 pins are not used.
Hope that makes sense!

kaanage
17-01-2011, 03:37 PM
Thanks. I was in the midst of measuring voltages when I was interrupted and never got back to it.

injidup
18-01-2011, 11:36 AM
I think it only measures about 7volts, but it's enough for my Kenwood to use as a switch for the dimmer.

Gti Dave
23-01-2011, 04:08 AM
Recently bit the bullet and got jl audio front splits, amp and sub installed in my pog. Very happy with the quality of sound but absolutely pissed off with the install guy!!! No rattles whatsoever in the car and doors prior to install but immediately after install, there's a damn obvious and loud tinny rattle sounding like pots and pans in both the drivers side and passengers side doors whenever I close the door or when the car is vibrating from acceleration or driving over somewhat bumpy roads :mad:
I originally thought it was due to the vibration or loose install of the crossover boxes in the door but after undoing the 4 screws at the bottom of the door card and giving it a light pull, I can see that it can't be the crossover boxes causing this rattle. It seems to be coming from the deeper inside the metal panel that is screwed onto the door chassis/frame. No dynamat was installed but one wouldn't think the possibility of going from no rattles to crazy loud rattling straight after an install???
Has anyone had a similar experience or know what might be causing the rattling?
Does that panel completely unscrew via the several bolts or is it fixed?
The car's rebooked in for this tuesday for it to be rectified. I've got my fingers crossed that the guy fixes it PROPERLY this time and I'm hoping the cause of all this drama is just as simple as him forgetting to tighten screws etc (but could he have forgotten for both doors?). :(
Seems that every time I outsource work to be done and whenever people tell me how much experience they have or how happy their customers are with their work, it almost always ends up in problems :facepalm:

injidup
23-01-2011, 10:39 AM
If he drilled out the original speaker pod rivets, maybe the old rivets are in the bottom of the door?

Gti Dave
23-01-2011, 04:33 PM
Hmm...maybe...I'll have to get him to check. But surely a small pieces left of riveting wouldn't be causing such a massive rattle rite? One thing I did notice today was after parking outside most of the day in hot sunny weather, it how has reduced some of the rattling whilst driving but you can still hear it when you slam the doors to close them. Ideas anyone?

safetyman
06-02-2011, 09:04 AM
I've just picked up these off ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Kenwood-CD-Stereo-Loom-16-Pin-ISO-Car-Radio-Loom-/350399839761?pt=UK_Audio_TV_Electronics_In_Car_Ent ertainment_GPS_In_Car_Audio_Players_PP&hash=item5195753e11

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/VOLKSWAGEN-Polo-Fox-Bora-Jetta-Wiring-Harness-PC2-75-/350399843204?pt=UK_Cars_Parts_Vehicles_Terminals_C abling_ET&hash=item5195754b84

I'll remove the CanBus pins which won't be getting required, use the new HU's built in amp to drive the rears and a separate amp for the fronts.

By the way, I don't know if anyone has ever shopped at the Pioneer online clearance shop, but it's worth a look.
I picked up a 2 x 70 RMS amp for only $70 (freight is free!) and it was delivered within 2 days!

https://shop.pioneer.com.au/itf/phx/phoenix.nsf/Index

Transporter
06-02-2011, 10:14 AM
I can't see anything, the ebay links are expired. :(

safetyman
06-02-2011, 03:14 PM
I've just refreshed the links with whats remaining at the ebay store as opposed to the one's that I purchased.

Other branded ISO adapters are also available. (Clarion, Alpine, Pioneer etc...)

safetyman
07-02-2011, 09:27 AM
Also have the part number for an OEM single DIN radio pocket that comes in the Polo Match 9N.

6Q0857058C1QB

Retail is $78 from VW.

kaanage
07-02-2011, 09:41 AM
Did you get the fakra=>DIN antenna adapter?
You only need the amplified version if you are interested in maintaining AM reception. FM works fine with a straight physical adapter.

A few of us here have used the generic Aerpro pocket rather than the VW one as it only costs $20. But it does need a bit of modding to fit and doesn't colour match the console plastic, exactly (it does colour match the OE RCD200 head unit!)

safetyman
09-02-2011, 11:44 AM
I didn't get the amplified version, just the straight physical adapter.
I'm sure I'll be told the first time my wife drives to work and tries to listen to 2GB for the traffic report....

And regarding the OEM pocket, there is a second part number that goes with it.
As usual, VW have a rubber mat (Retail is $22.00) that sits inside the pocket to prevent things sliding around which has its own part number:
6Q0858167A9B9

diarx
28-05-2011, 11:48 PM
Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone has had experience with installing the Eonon d5101 in a 9n3 polo gti?

ie. this unit: Eonon D5101 | Car DVD | Specific Car DVD | Car DVD for Glof/POLO (http://www.eonon.com/Car-DVD-Players/Specific-Car-DVD/D5101.html)

Ran into a bit of difficulty having it turn off and on with the ignition - seems to only turn on manually with the power button.

I'm a little confused as I was led to believe the included harness made it plug and play and didn't need any wiring into accessory power?

(for the record, I'm very newb with stereo installations, did one of these specific fit Eonon stereos on my Astra and it was pretty much no issues/plug and play)

injidup
15-06-2011, 12:30 PM
Here are two pics that should help:
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2011/06/5355859347_febc1fc63c-1.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2011/06/5355858543_e900275d20-1.jpg

And a BlurryCam special of my not-so-professional connection with a cannibalised ISO connector:
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2011/06/5355862085_878330bb8a-1.jpg
These wires have been tidied up now!

Hope they're clear enough!

Total cost (not including the head unit): Under $50 (Removal keys for RCD200, ISO Adapter, Fakra antenna adapter)

Since disconnecting the power from the battery when fitting the subwoofer, I no longer have power when the key is in the ignition.
Does anyone know if this needs to be reset somehow? :confused:
No volts at the pin shown as "Switched" in my pic.

kaanage
15-06-2011, 12:51 PM
Maybe try plugging the RCD-200 back in to see if the system "relearns" keeping the power on?

diarx
24-06-2011, 11:19 PM
Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone has had experience with installing the Eonon d5101 in a 9n3 polo gti?

ie. this unit: Eonon D5101 | Car DVD | Specific Car DVD | Car DVD for Glof/POLO (http://www.eonon.com/Car-DVD-Players/Specific-Car-DVD/D5101.html)

Ran into a bit of difficulty having it turn off and on with the ignition - seems to only turn on manually with the power button.

I'm a little confused as I was led to believe the included harness made it plug and play and didn't need any wiring into accessory power?

(for the record, I'm very newb with stereo installations, did one of these specific fit Eonon stereos on my Astra and it was pretty much no issues/plug and play)

Just an update for anyone considering this unit, yes - you need to have this unit wired separately through to the accessory in the 9N3 polo gti, it won't power on with ignition through the canbus adapter.. an installer charged me $40 for the job, wasn't keen on attempting this myself.

So far it's been a decent unit for the money, might not be audiophile quality but does everything you need it to to day to day listening. Only real issues so far are that the screen can be a little reflective in direct sunlight (7" anti glare screen protector from ebay fixed that) and balancing the volume between the radio and gps can be a little confusing - but the gps does work pretty well aside from that.

flat6
25-06-2011, 09:03 PM
So far it's been a decent unit for the money, might not be audiophile quality but does everything you need it to to day to day listening. Only real issues so far are that the screen can be a little reflective in direct sunlight (7" anti glare screen protector from ebay fixed that) and balancing the volume between the radio and gps can be a little confusing - but the gps does work pretty well aside from that.

After checking out that unit, it looks fairly decent for the price, how are you finding it?

injidup
29-06-2011, 10:48 AM
Will try that kaanage. Also, just had a service so the system was reset - maybe that will fix it too.
Something to try this weekend, anyway.

diarx
30-06-2011, 03:24 PM
After checking out that unit, it looks fairly decent for the price, how are you finding it?

I wouldn't recommend it to a anyone really into high end car audio as the balance/audio control options are pretty limited and sound quality is on the side of average, but a very nice unit if you just need something with aux inputs, mp3 capability and the bonus of a GPS. Will try and get a pic of it in action one of these days, it's my partners car so I only really get to drive it on weekends.

Also, I've forgotten if I mentioned this earlier, but part of the rim/lip of the metal adapter plate they give you will have to be cut down with a set of tin snips or similar, otherwise the unit will stick out a few mm from the dash and not be nice and flush. Without the adapter plate the unit won't sit in the dash firmly or straight either. I have a feeling this adapter plate was designed more for the mkIV golf or previous polo somehow? I believe I only took off the bottom lip somehow (damn this goldfish memory of mine), here's a pic of the adapter fitting plate I'm talking about anyway:

http://96.31.74.124/UserFiles/image/D5101-07.jpg

Another issue I had was the unlock code for the user selected logo, was a bit worried at first when I got the unit and it was still displaying the stock Eonon logo instead of the VW logo with the logo menu asking for a password to change it.. fortunately I emailed Eonon and they got back to me with the code pretty quickly and looks pretty neat with the VW logo now!

For reference, the code instructions they gave me:

To setup the logo, you should enter the password: 7758782, please kindly try again. Thanks.

Guessing it should be the same code for all these units.

flat6
30-06-2011, 09:56 PM
Sounds fairly decent, shame about the sound quality tho.. Would you rate it as sounding about the same as the stock rcd200 unit?

I have the option of getting the xcar link on the stock unit or going for one of these for a little more $$, almost seems like better value getting this unit..

How do you find the touch screen usability?

Pics would be great, thx for the review.. Shame that similar units are 4x the price from a brand name, yet i hear a lot of good reviews on eonon stuff..

diarx
06-07-2011, 08:23 PM
sorry for the late reply, as I'm still stuck with an Astra I don't visit these parts too often :(

yeah, the unit would probably be about the same SQ as stock (with standard speakers anyway).. tbh I can't really tell much of a difference between them.

Touch response is pretty decent, I guess don't expect iphone like responsiveness or anything. In the nav app I find when entering an address or something the "OK" etc. buttons can be a little far too the edge of the screen and hard to press. But it's not a deal breaker for me. The units UI is decently set out though and imo looks pretty nice, especially compared to my Astra's eonon d5103 which runs an older and very ugly version of their firmware.

I guess one other annoying thing I've found is the volume knob feels a little flimsy and sticks out a little far, a large drink (eg McDonalds cup) in the cupholder will rest lightly against the knob, so you need to be careful not to put anything into the cup holder too fast..

anyway, will try and get some photos this weekend, things have been a little crazy the past couple of weeks.

flat6
06-07-2011, 09:39 PM
Thx again, after reading a bit into these you can apparently hack them using a SD card and get into windows CE, then load something like this into it

GpsPasSion Forums - MioPocket 3.0 (Unlock for PNAs) (http://gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=126303)

Car-puter at a fraction of the price no :D, Great way to fix the older ugly layout on other models and works on most Win CE nav units

diarx
07-07-2011, 07:26 PM
might look into doing that with my astra's unit

managed to take some pics and shoot a short vid of the unit on my phone last night - not the best quality but you get the idea..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zt0fJhUPFWQ

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2011/07/8oHA3-1.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2011/07/9WloZ-1.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2011/07/luZgn-1.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2011/07/npjrm-1.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2011/07/x9pr2-1.jpg

The dust on the screen the first couple of images is from my botched attempt at applying anti glare film, I bought 7" film off ebay thinking it would be perfect fit, but had to run off after peeling off the backing to get a pair of scissors and cut a 5mm strip off the bottom of the film.. will definitely be measuring before the next time I put some film over it.

The eonon logo you see is when the unit powers on, not sure if you can change that, but you can change the radio's background logo to the vw one you see there.

flat6
07-07-2011, 08:01 PM
Mate thanks for that, the vid answered a lot of questions about the speed of the unit, its not much slower than the stock unit amazingly when loading Cd's, does it take long to turn the unit on?

Might put an order in for it on the weekend, how long did they take to send it to you?

Cheers :D

diarx
07-07-2011, 08:50 PM
For the Astra I ordered the d5103 on a Saturday and it arrived at my work on the following Monday!
The polo's I ordered early on a Monday and it arrived on the Thursday.. guess it varies? But still pretty quick.

Actually had some issues with an ebay reseller falsely reporting units in stock the first time I bought for my Astra, they ended up offering me a refund and I instead went directly through eonon.com

I guess provided the unit is labeled as in stock on their site it will arrive really fast - at the time I wanted to order the polo's unit it wasn't in stock, I subscribed to their stock notifier and it was a couple of weeks before they notified me of availability.

since it's winCE based it does take a little time to turn on, I think around 10 seconds maybe?

flat6
16-07-2011, 11:38 PM
Thanks Diarx,

Spent the last week seriously going over all options in replacing the head unit, considered models like the alpine CDE-W203EBTi which is nice but lacks any features for the price, compared it with everything on the market at the moment and its great value.

Found that its practically the same as the D5102 which fits in the mazda 3 and has a much wider user base with heaps of reviews and forum support on it, this thread is pretty handy
Eonon D5102 Review/Q&A (http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=175539.0)

Put my order in this morning and its already been shipped, I'll up some pics when i get a chance to install it.

Apparently the sound quality isn't to bad at all, they have some minor issues but the support is quite good

looking forward to getting it

PeterHBne
17-07-2011, 10:36 PM
I'm thinking of kicking off my system with one of these...

http://cgi.ebay.com/alpine-7909j-old-school-extra-laser-pick-up-/130544337369?pt=Car_Audio_In_Dash_Receivers&hash=item1e650c81d9

flat6
18-07-2011, 07:25 AM
dam that's expensive for a cd player... may sound great but damn!

safetyman
18-07-2011, 08:35 AM
Just a note regarding my install using the plugs that I listed on post #103.

I didn't alter any of the wiring positions that the plugs came with, meaning that the switched (ignition) power for the headunit was being supplied by one of the CanBus wires. The unit powered up however it stayed on constantly.
We had to physically switch the radio off every time we got out of the vehicle or risk a flat battery.

A few weeks ago the car was found dead as a doornail.
No lights on dash, no tick over.
Stick a jump pack on the car however and it would fire up, so a replacement battery was fitted.

After a few days I had some starting issues and door unlocking issues, all with Cd player noises coming from the radio which was supposed to be off.
It culminated with driving out of a shopping centre carpark with the alarm going while driving after being unable to open the doors with the keyfob. I then opened the vehicle manually, causing the alarm to go off.

Since then, I have rewired the switched power from the CanBus lead supplied by the plug to the power wire from the cigarette lighter socket.
It means that I have lost the ability to have the radio on unless the vehicle is running, however this is a small inconvenience when compared with having to deal with an irate wife that can't start a car :eek:

PeterHBne
18-07-2011, 12:36 PM
dam that's expensive for a cd player... may sound great but damn!

They are worth it. Widely acknowledged as the best car cd player made. Awesome SQ. I had a 7903 which i bought new and it was fantastic for 10 years. Something so comforting about those six green cubes lit up at night.......

flat6
18-07-2011, 07:26 PM
Ofcorse but considering, that money could buy an equally good/better sounding unit nowdays, its all placebo when it comes to car audio

flat6
19-07-2011, 09:15 PM
Received my Eonon D5101 unit, postage was extremely quick, ordered Saturday and got it Monday

Just finished a temp install of it, for the price its great value

Sound quality is actually quite good, if not better than the stock unit, base is definitely deeper.

Usability isnt to bad, think it takes some getting use to, it has a few quirks that can be a bit annoying like a slight lag on the volume level, you sometimes hear a slight jitter in music playback when scrolling through the cd list.

And the unit doesn't turn off with the car, you have to turn it off manually, maybe the default wiring loom wasn't configured correctly, i'll have to inspect it on the weekend and see if its on aux

Like i said quirks, but all up im actually quite happy with it, its not bad for $380

I'll up some pics on the weekend of the proper install and connections at the back

jamie88
19-07-2011, 09:24 PM
your car doesnt have an aux;)

i learnt it out the ahrd way, ie about 4 nrma callouts.

you need an axxess power supply, only about 70 bucks off ebay. easy to install creates a remote signal from the cars computer.

flat6
20-07-2011, 10:07 PM
update edit: problem was due to wiring config on the stock loom, needs to be re-wired, working great now.

-----------------------
Just an update on this unit, its a constant pain in the ass and im going to send it back, lesson learnt, Don't buy cheap **** from china

The unit crashes constantly, at least once every time your doing 100 down the freeway, you have to actually turn the engine off and back on for it to reboot. Its running the new firmware aswell which i believe is the issue, would it kill them to actually test it?

Volume control is dodgy, CD functionality is ok but still a bit of a pain to navigate in, SD/USB functions do not work, you cant play anything from them.

GPS is actually quite good as well as the bluetooth phone, best part of the unit and its a shame its let down so much by ****ty software.

Working in the IT industry, seriously cant be bothered with this **** as my car is meant to be a temple away from all things problematic.
Im going back to the stock unit..

safetyman
22-07-2011, 04:21 PM
If you'd like some cheap Pioneer gear, try this website

https://shop.pioneer.com.au/itf/phx/phoenix.nsf/Index

Their scratched and dent section is quite good.
I picked up two new 2 channel 50W RMS amps from this section, boxed and apparently refurbed demo stock, with one year warranty, delivered overnight for $70.00.

And they have brand new AVICF900BT (older model) for $874 which is a bargain.

diarx
22-07-2011, 04:37 PM
**** really? never had the unit crash on us. I don't think you can go in with high expectations of the general interface of the unit functioning like a Japanese branded head unit for the price. What actually happens when the unit crashes? does the screen go blank, does it hang?

usb works for me, but I guess like most of these old CE based devices you're limited to fat16/32 filesystem and 8gb max

I wonder if any changes in the canbus between year models could have anything do to with the issues you're having? My missus is running an '08 model and after I had the accessory switch wired in by a pro it switched on and off with the key flawlessly.

btw, if by crashing you mean it's cutting out after a certain time limit after being switched on (I think its 10 minutes) it could be that it isn't wired up to your cars ignition/accessory power properly. It won't operate correctly if you've just plugged it in via the canbus connector. Given you've said it won't turn back on unless you restart the car and won't turn off with the ignition (which are the same problems I had til I took it to an installer) I'd say you might have to double check your wiring.

flat6
22-07-2011, 08:17 PM
Thx diarx, i think you were right, just rewired it and it appears to be much better now, not as laggy or as slow

The wiring harness they give you is wrong, the switched ignition cable is by default wired to a permanent live connection, the switched ignition is the connection right next to the earth connection, switched them around and the unit is completely different.

Not speaking to soon as i have just finished playing with it, still got to go for a drive but it doesn't appear to be as dodgy now :)

It doesn't turn off until you open the door but its just how i wanted it, now i just gotta figure out how to fix the usb and sd card functions

Btw i have a 2010 9n GTI :)

Will update ya's on any progress

diarx
23-07-2011, 12:22 AM
haha yeah, when I first installed the unit it had me scratching my head for a while trying to figure out what was going on, but after the missus pointed out it powered off around the same point in her trip to work each day I figured it must have been some kind of power saving mode activating due to no ignition on signal or something.

From there I Questioned eonon over the matter and they got back to me and confirmed my suspicions with the wiring. Unfortunately I'm not so great with this sort of stuff so I had to take the car to an installer to get sorted :(

The unit/harness adapter is most probably wired from factory for the older model mk4 golf, and I guess there may have been a couple of changes in VW's wiring harness from golf to polo.

In regards to usb/SD they specify on the site: "Can support soft drive such as USB flash drive, or MP3 player with maximum 8G compatibility, Can't support portable hard drive."

My missus generally uses her android phone plugged into the aux in for mp3's, but I did briefly test a couple of mp3's on a 4gb usb I had lying about and they played back fine. I guess you could test both fat16 and fat32 formatting on any media you try.. or maybe try keeping files you have on there basic, like slightly lower bitrate, mp3 format only and shorter length filenames? I have a feeling being winCE based and dodgy chinese coded firmware it'll be picky over the slight details. Just a shame the unit doesn't do music audio over bluetooth the same as my Astra d5103 does, as I never even bother with usb or aux cable in my own car.

Did you manage to cut down the steel bracket thingy so the unit fits in the dash a little more flush?

after cutting the bottom lip off the bracket I managed to get it about 1mm from being flush and was like:

http://files.sharenator.com/close_enough_The_Newest_Sharenator_s367x279_103178 _475_RE_Meme_Base_After_Dark-s367x279-184649-580.jpg

Was a little concerned at first the unit doesn't use the radio release key system either, but after the huge struggle of pulling the stock RCD unit out a second time after the mechanism became stuck almost breaking the dash to get it out I'm actually kind of glad that's gone.

btw, heard along with iGo that you can install TomTom as the nav app on these units, not that I dislike the pre-installed Sygic, but I can't seem to get the speed camera alerts working on Sygic and the radio/gps volume leveling can be a little off at times, so may be worth trying either this or iGo out on a spare SD card when I get a chance. For the amount we actually use nav the inbuilt Sygic does a pretty good job though.

What other maps can be used in Eonon, and how to make it? | Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=392570370530)

Anyway, hope the unit works out for you mate. Definitely not everyones cup of tea, but at the budget end of the scale I think it still does a pretty decent job.

diarx
23-07-2011, 12:40 AM
hmm iGo with the following skin for the menu looks pretty decent too:

&#x202a;Eonon D5102 Overview and Review Part 3/3&#x202c;&rlm; - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwm6xhC4GWE)

just wish I had the spare time to play around with this stuff.

flat6
23-07-2011, 05:27 PM
Just finished connecting it all up properly, it actually looks quite good and hasn't crashed once since re-wiring it :D

Edit: the below pic is wired incorrectly, aux power is where the x is, the blue cable can be cut (automatic antenna) and connected to the canbus +12v red wire that goes to the back of the D5101
http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/562/img1867un.jpg

Got the hacksaw out and chopped the top lip off, fits well now, originally wrapped the frame in tape as to not scratch the dash
http://img705.imageshack.us/img705/7161/img1868oh.jpg

Input/outputs on the back of the unit
http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/5078/img1870n.jpg

D5101 input specs
http://img835.imageshack.us/img835/2466/img1871j.jpg

The mess
http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/9350/img1874q.jpg

This is the back all wired up, i hooked up some male to female rca cables for any future aux connections, video input is amazingly clear and ipod through the aux sounds great, much better than using the ugly ipod interface
http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/2208/img1878k.jpg

The final product, the sound quality is actually quite good with deep clean base
http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/6443/img1881vl.jpg

Some Futurama playing from a usb connection, im still unable to get SD functionality to work, this is definantly a problem on their end as everything is hooked up correctly
http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/7916/img1888yr.jpg

All up after being quite irate to begin with, and sending a couple pissed off emails to eonon (to which they havent replied) im happy in the end.

Its a decent unit for the price, but it would be nice if they actually provided you some instructions actually stating that your car may differ to the wiring harness they send, would piss people off a lot less, they do however provide 1 book written in "engrish" with no real instructions on how to connect it lol

When i figure out how to get that iGO maps running i'll let ya know

diarx
24-07-2011, 10:05 PM
Nice pics!

Wonder if the SD slot is restricted to system GPS use only? The Astra unit has two separate SD slots for media and GPS so there might be a reason behind them being separated. Could be the SD icon on the menu exists because it shared UI with the Mazda version of the unit that has 2 SD slots.

Glad you were mostly happy with it in the end though, and bang up job upping the photos of the canbus wiring and fitment too.

Eonon got back to me with both of the emails I sent them, it took a couple of days due to the time difference and language barrier I think though - with being a weekend I don't think it would have helped the cause for you either. Frustrating when you're at your wits end trying to figure something like this out though!

Where did you place your GPS antenna btw? My gf's GPS had been picking up signal really fast for the most part until a bit of a hiccup on the way to a wedding this weekend. May have to work on finding a better location for it, as the location went a bit nuttso over the weekend, possibly due to bad weather. Currently have our GPS antenna tucked away behind the parking ticket holder (ie. the plastic vent thing that mirrors the cup holder), but tempted to get one of those dash cubby's, drill a hole and hide it away in there.

flat6
25-07-2011, 02:31 PM
I put the gps antenna just under the heater vent behind the head unit, you can only just see it in the 5th pic, works well there

Unfortunately, driving to work today it crashed 2 times, i was unable to turn it back on, this is after the new wiring config :(

Might have to send them another email, bah, your not wrong about the language barrier, they wanted me to send them photos of the unit crashing the first time i sent them an email about it, im sure a photo of it off will help them a great deal in figuring it out lol

I'm outta ideas :(

Is it possible the canbus system is switching the unit off after 10 minutes of driving?

diarx
25-07-2011, 04:05 PM
ah, no good :(

test with a stopwatch and see how long it lasts between turn on and blank each trip.. If it's cutting off within a few seconds if the same time you'll know it's power saving mode and to check wiring. I'm certain it's just power saving cutoff and not the unit crashing.

I've a feeling my installer might have bypassed the whole canbus adapter/loom thingy and has run a cable straight from the accessory or ignition into the back of the unit? Haven't really pulled the unit out since the thing was installed.

Anyway, I'll try tonight to pull my missus radio out and take a couple of photos of the cabling in the back, hopefully we can figure out whats going on from there.

diarx
25-07-2011, 06:46 PM
I think photo number 3 and 2 confirm my suspicions, there's a blue cable shown that bypasses the rest of the canbus loom and seems to go downwards, I'm guessing most likely towards the cigarette lighter socket?

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2011/07/KLOiL-1.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2011/07/8eMog-1.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2011/07/mCOKh-1.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2011/07/q23qn-1.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2011/07/5laDE-1.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2011/07/aKSzZ-1.jpg

had my SLR with me for those photos so it was difficult pointing the camera to see further down.. let me know if you're still stuck and I'll go back down there and take some photos of where the cable leads with my phonecam, in retrospect I probably should have shown where the blue cable in question was coming out from the back of the unit too.

flat6
25-07-2011, 09:31 PM
Thx for the pics, confirms my suspicion :) He spliced into another +12v aux and led it directly to the unit.

Will re-wire it next chance i get, i believe the new light blue wire on yours is going directly to the red wire that goes from the canbus adapter to the unit

Did he cut the red wire off the canbus adapter or did he splice it into it?

Also im nearly there on getting them igo primo maps working

http://d5102.wikispaces.com/iGO

That link has all you need, but the tricky part is getting the sys.txt right so that it doesn't come up with an error on loading. will post my config when i figure it out :D

diarx
25-07-2011, 11:59 PM
sorry bout the crap pics, didn't take the slr down this time.. looks like the red and black cable on the other side of the loom connector is connected to the blue cable in the adapter that you initially moved (not sure if that's how it was before)

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2011/07/IMG_20110725_232002-1.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2011/07/IMG_20110725_232010-1.jpg

With that blue bypass cable, I've tried to unravel some of the tape in the following pic, I don't want to unravel too much as I'll probably never get it back how it was, but on close inspection a red cable coming from the back of the unit has a single tight wrap of black tape around it, and I guess is possibly what the blue bypass cable is connected to. Sorry for lamens terms, I'm a complete novice with this sort of stuff :facepalm: just hope this info helps!

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2011/07/IMG_20110725_232149-1.jpg

and highlighting the red cable

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2011/07/Ja6Cl-1.jpg

flat6
26-07-2011, 04:22 PM
All sorted finally :D

I noticed in your pics he wired a completely seperate aux power connection, after much investigation i went out and bought a cheap $10 multimeter and worked out whats what in there, turns out the original wiring harness was still wrong but the blue cable was originally hooked up to the aux power (blue cable is for powered antenna on the harness)

Tested the connections after the 10 minutes to which the system had turned off, the decoder was actually switching the +12v off to the unit, removing it from the decoder was the only solution

So what i did was revert the harness back to the way i got it (put the blue back to its original position), cut the blue cable and hooked it up to the red cable coming from the canbus decoder box, this worked as it appears that blue cable was in the original AUX position
http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/7332/img1902k.jpg

Also with this config i have retained the auto-dimming when switching the headlights on

These are the pins for a 2008 - 2010 9n3 Polo GTI, multimeter tested with aux on and off
http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/2874/wiringt.jpg

Drove around for about half hr today and it didn't switch off with this config so i hope theres no other canbus computer evilness back there lol

Ralfi
06-08-2011, 01:51 PM
Sorry if it's been asked, but i've finally decided to add an xcarlink iphone/bluetooth adapter to the RCD200.

I've got two of the removal keys, but i'm struck;

Being the noob that I am, i'm not sure (a) how far I need to pull the one side of the stereo out to then remove the two keys to use on the other side & (b) how to remove the keys from the stereo......

Anyone?

flat6
07-08-2011, 10:48 AM
Removing the head units easy, with the keys inset them all the way in (round side of the key facing inwards, flat side to the corder) and it will kind of click, using a bit of pressure just pull back

You can do it with 2 but 4 make it easy, just remove them when the top half is dislodged and follow the same step

flat6
07-08-2011, 02:16 PM
For those who have similar units, To get iGO Primo running, this is the sys.txt i used

You can find igo primo and maps in this link http://d5102.wikispaces.com/iGO

Honestly recon its better than a $500 standalone GPS, and fully customizable.

Copy the below into the igo sys.txt and load it onto a sdcard, igo has to be in a "Primo" folder on the root of the card

[device]
type="Primo" ; Eonon D5101

[folders]
sdcardpath="\Storage Card\Primo"
has_secondary_root=0 ;

[utility]
calibratefix=1 ; ; If gps signal don't lost write - "0"; if lost write "1"

[Interface]
vga=0
show_exit=1
show_minimize=1
extra_settings=1
shutdown_time=0
capture_to_jpeg=1
show_mapchanger=1
show_programs=1

[rawdisplay]
highres=0
stretch=1
screen_x=800
screen_y=480
class="landscape"

[map_update_checker]
enabled=0

[3d_config]
disable_roadsign_navigation_mode=0
roadsign_lines_per_screen=10
rotated_roadsigns=0

[sound]
csv_voice_enabled=1
ding=0

[debug]
skip_eula=1
screenshotsavecameraini=0
show_battery_percent=0
screenshotfilename="\captures\ecran_%02d.jpg"
show_battery_percent=1
experimental_features=1
show_networkservices=1
show_arrows_on_route=1
show_lane_info=1

[lua]
backlightdetails=1

[gestures]
border_width=130

[map]
show_oneway=1
2dheadup=1
show_oneway_3d=1
poi_grouping_distance=0
3d_max_zoomlevel=800;
3d_min_zoomlevel=30;40
speedcam_visibility=500;
3d_max_tiltlevel="8700"
3d_default_tiltlevel="8200"
3d_max_zfar=5000
3d_buildings=1
3d_landmarks="1"
3d_roads="1"
3d_tunnels="1"
follow_gps=1

[feature]
text_guidance=1
signpost_coloring=1
tmc_event_coloring=1
tmc_traffic_side=1
ding=0

[tts]
automatic_direction_conversion=1
announce_exit_directions=1
always_say_road_names=3
skip_exit_numbers=1

[speedcam]
enable_at_startup=1

[warning]
speedcam_enabled=1
speedcam_warning=1
speedcam_visualtype=1
speedcam_max_lookahead=1000
speedcam_maxdistance_from_road=50

diarx
11-08-2011, 03:50 PM
sweet, thanks

don't think I'll bother on my Astra's unit as I'm trading it in on a Giulietta QV any week now, but keen to give it a try on the missus GTI.

Do you know if the speed camera alerts work on this one?

Also ralfi, in regards to with removing the stock stereo with keys, be careful the way you go about it - I ended up forcing the keys too much on my first try and damaged one of the metal tabs on the inside.. I only pulled the stock unit out to check the wiring out then pushed it back in again, but when it came time to installing the new unit it was near impossible to get the stock one back out. I struggled for a total of about 6 hours trying to get it out again!

Definitely get four keys, and make sure they're the right ones - I think mine may have been slightly different than the ones you're meant to use.

walkerchan
12-08-2011, 10:39 PM
Hey guys, so.. yeah. I received a Eonon D5101 for my 21st bday present.. was pretty sweet considering it was from 3 guys. Another mate and i decided we would try to install it today. Let me start of with saying im pretty noob at this sort of thing. Software is all good but hardware and electronics go pretty much over my head (more for lack of experience). My mates pretty good but the polo is a harsh mistress. Loved playing around and we went to take the stock rcd-200 and **** me. We didnt have keys and out at my mates place in sydenham there were no dealerships to be heard of. So about an half and hour later of mucking around and trying to forge keys we could push the tabs in but were pretty clueless. After another half and hour we just happended to accidentally push them all in at the same time and we realised you only need 4 thin pieces of metal and to the tabs in and using slight leverage, tada, it will pop the head unit out. Suffice to say we definitely agree with all the comments around the forum about people who couldnt be bothered buying the keys and just did it them self haha

We put the head unit in and yeah we had to file back the holder. was atleast 2mm over shot on the bottom. donno whats wrong with our double din whole but it is definitely not the correct size for this haha. The holder is nice and snug now but it was lucky the sizes arent correct as the wiring was not quite correct as i found out about 10 minutes after driving down the road. It was lucky that the actual head unit didnt quite fit in the hole and i could just leave it dangling about 1cm out of the dash (i wanted to do this as i read your previous posts and new i would need to pull it back out soon haha) Now im stuck in the same boat as you guys were with the power. I might read over flat6's posts but they dont really make sense to me. Haha. Might end up going to get a pro to do it if i cant figure it out in the next couple of days.

Onto the machine.. Ooooo its so exciting having a new toy in the car. To bad it just turns off after 10 mins and i need to restart the car to get it working again. The ipod interface is retardedly ugly. So i think ill just use aux and keep my iphone in a iphone holder. Unless there is a way to get a cord that supports iphone charging which would be lovely. If possible it would be better to get bluetooth music =D. I tried out the GPS program that it came with. Not bad. I have a TomTom GPS which is top of the line so pending I get GPS working a treat on the d5101 my girlfriend can have a new GPS. This seems likely as the GPS is quite accurate and Sygic has itinerary function which i crave. Ill be looking through all the possible GPS software we can install and see which one would best suite my needs. Definitely thanks for the iGO information. Will be doing some thorough research on what can be done with miopocket aswell.

Just a few questions. Anyone else have really poor/random cut outs of FM radio reception? I have a stubby antenna but it never seemed to much of a problem with the stock unit. Just with this the volume drastically decreases with poor reception. Also how did you manage to place the gps in such convenient spots. I havent really tried tunnelling the wiring around but its currently just chilling under my steering wheel haha.

But yes. sorry this is a bit long, just wished to contribute as im bored at home and dont want to work on the 5101 as im scared that when i wake up tomorrow my battery will be dead haha

callum

kaanage
13-08-2011, 07:50 AM
Did you get the amplified Fakra->DIN converter? With a passive one, the signal strength might be marginal.

flat6
13-08-2011, 09:20 AM
With the radio theres a few settings you can choose, one with a "oo" symbol i find gives me the clearest signal, also double check in the settings what country you have it set to, mines clear as air.

If i was able to hack into the interface on this unit I would give it a complete overhaul, its a shame its all locked down

I'm having a bit of trouble getting it to fit flush, so i might take the frame out and cut all the corners off it, then clip it into the din

Yet to devise a way to make it removable after i mount it flush coz it will be a pain in the ass to get out :)

Ralfi
13-08-2011, 09:39 AM
sweet, thanks
Also ralfi, in regards to with removing the stock stereo with keys, be careful the way you go about it - I ended up forcing the keys too much on my first try and damaged one of the metal tabs on the inside.. I only pulled the stock unit out to check the wiring out then pushed it back in again, but when it came time to installing the new unit it was near impossible to get the stock one back out. I struggled for a total of about 6 hours trying to get it out again!

Definitely get four keys, and make sure they're the right ones - I think mine may have been slightly different than the ones you're meant to use.

Thanks. Yeah I ended up driving to my nearest Ultratune & used two of their keys to easily remove the thing.........so silly only supplying 2 of them with xcarlink....

Anyway, got it all installed & working - velcro with tape on the back came in handy to mount the box & velcro ties were used to store all the cabling. I like how the microphone came with a clip, so I just clipped it onto the cable just near the bluetooth module itself in a pretty convenient spot.

Though I notice some slight interference when wirelessly streaming music via bluetooth (mostly at higher volumes), but when direct connecting the iphone, it sounds much clearer & louder (distortion-free). Is this normal when streaming via bluetooth?

FLYINGTI
15-08-2011, 09:10 PM
can i have some links to some decent headunits
if any has any good ones

vwthunder
15-08-2011, 10:03 PM
can i have some links to some decent headunits
if any has any good ones

Good ones, how much do you want to spend? Single or Double Din ?

Do you want GPS, DVD, Bluetooth ?

FLYINGTI
16-08-2011, 09:14 AM
Good ones, how much do you want to spend? Single or Double Din ?

Do you want GPS, DVD, Bluetooth ?
i would like a double din,gps isnt important but would like a touch screen style

VWindahouse
17-08-2011, 06:47 PM
Does anyone know where I can pick up a single din pocket for the Polo?

Cheers.

noone
13-09-2011, 12:29 PM
Need to get an aerial adaptor, makes sense to get a loom adaptor as well...

Does this look right?
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2011/09/ewh1010eu06-1.jpg

From here: euroadapterset2 | eBay (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/euroadapterset2-/330597702051?pt=Car_Audio_Video&hash=item4cf92899a3#ht_911wt_856)

Adam
18-09-2011, 06:03 PM
Just wondering, have anyone installed their amp/crossover from their upgraded sound system underneath the passenger's seat?

At the moment, mine is situated in the boot and it is taking up considerable amount of volume as I've build a false floor to accommodate the units. But I now want to move them all to the front, and retrieve my space again.

kaanage
18-09-2011, 08:18 PM
Does anyone know where I can pick up a single din pocket for the Polo?
I used a generic Aerpro but it needed a lot of mucking about to make it fit well and the colour doesn't quite match the console (it DOES match the colour of the original RCD-210).

To source a pocket from VW will cost you about $85 or else you can check the wreckers for a 9N Polo as those came with the single DIN unit and a pocket below

philthy
18-09-2011, 08:27 PM
Just wondering, have anyone installed their amp/crossover from their upgraded sound system underneath the passenger's seat?

At the moment, mine is situated in the boot and it is taking up considerable amount of volume as I've build a false floor to accommodate the units. But I now want to move them all to the front, and retrieve my space again.

I think theres an air vent tube there and the under seat tray would limit space.. Let me know if you get it to fit :)

VWindahouse
18-09-2011, 08:37 PM
I used a generic Aerpro but it needed a lot of mucking about to make it fit well and the colour doesn't quite match the console (it DOES match the colour of the original RCD-210).

To source a pocket from VW will cost you about $85 or else you can check the wreckers for a 9N Polo as those came with the single DIN unit and a pocket below

Thanks mate, grabbed a VW one from Jmac!

leegil
06-10-2011, 12:05 AM
Just updated mine to a Kenwood DDX4038BT. Got it for $479 from topaudio (not aussie stock as clock is 24hrs format). Does not come with trim but I had Autobarn install it for $88 and they threw in a simple surround trim and smidge of foam to fill a 2.5mm gap on one side. Looks OK in the end.

Apparently my antenna plug needed the APA60 (RRP $30) but was hit with $60 as they had to buy it from elsewhere, and I didn't want to mess around waiting for a few days with a gap in my car where the head unit should have been.

They did not use a wiring harness (must have just wired it up). All working perfectly. They even put the bluetooth microphone on the A-pillar under the internal material for a nice finish.

kaanage
06-10-2011, 08:57 AM
How did they make it switch off?

leegil
06-10-2011, 05:01 PM
It works the same as the OEM stereo on/off/standby synced with ignition. The guy at the Autobarn store did the install so I have absolutely no idea how it was done. Sorry but I only know the parts :-) but didn't even want to try to install it myself.

noone
06-10-2011, 05:18 PM
Howzit, For all you guys out there installing new stereos and are worried about wiring for accessories power you can tap into the thick red and white wire that feeds switched power to the turn dial controls that sit under the head unit in dash. I used this when I recently installed my 2din JVC XR-816. (my cigarette lighter had constant + too.).

Anyone still battling with a stereo install for Acc Power (seems to be of an issue with earlier Polo's), this is the way I went. Kills Acc power when the key is turned off, you can turn it back on without starting the engine if you want to chillax...

No Acc trigger in the stock loom and in my car the Ciggy socket power seems to stay on a while (could be permanent, only tested 10 min)

diarx
11-11-2011, 10:26 AM
Those with the D5101, did bluetooth mp3 work out of the box? Ours doesn't seem to do it - or maybe it's just my partners phone being incompatible? (which would be strange her phone worked on my old Astra's Eonon unit)

I did notice there was a firmware update for the D5101 on the eonon website however, there's a pdf file inside the archive giving instructions and saying the update gives mp3 bluetooth audio and slight UI update, and the timestamp on the files are July/August '11. I'm really debating tempting fate and having something go wrong with the reflash though, these chinese units are buggy enough with software as it is.

http://www.eonon.com/manuals.aspx (on first page)

flat6
11-11-2011, 06:11 PM
Hey Diarx,

Mine has been flawless the whole time luckily, I did the bluetooth audio update from the website, asked them if it would change the GUI, they said it wouldnt... but you guessed it, it did, it looked better beforehand but i find myself using bluetooth audio with my iphone 4 all the time, its very handy, the slippage function looks **** but what do ya do.

the Bluetooth pair code is 0000 from memory.

Other than that i havent had any trouble on the new firmware.

mikepologti
12-11-2011, 04:48 PM
hmm thinking of upgrading mine to, nothing fancy just something with ipod conectivety. any sugestions ? or just google ftw?

MissVuks
12-11-2011, 08:57 PM
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2011/11/cbdbbb5c51c47b3b-1.jpg

I have a new headunit.. Nothing fancy like pioneer etc.. It's double din straight swap with iPod, navigation, SD card, USB and DVD/ digital tv. Very stock looking which is good cos I don't want douche bags trying to break in.. Seems to have had a positive effect on the sound quality too :)

mikepologti
14-11-2011, 09:26 PM
nice , looks good missvuks . can i have the make and model? looking for something very similar , i too would like something that doesnt involve @$$ hats wanting to break into my car for.

FLYINGTI
16-11-2011, 11:03 AM
Hey,
whats the eonon DvD units people are getting??
Any1 with one know what Unit it is
cheers matty!

hazrd
16-11-2011, 11:11 AM
That would be this one i believe:
Eonon D5101 | Car DVD | Specific Car DVD | Car DVD for Glof/POLO (http://www.eonon.com/Car-DVD-Players/Specific-Car-DVD/D5101.html)

I havent seen one in action myself, but the price seems pretty reasonable for what you get.

MissVuks
16-11-2011, 07:06 PM
Thats pretty much what my head unit system looks like.. Its not flash but it works and im happy that I can listen to my iphone and dont need to worry about scratching my CDs or burning new ones for that...

VWindahouse
16-11-2011, 10:45 PM
Looks great Lora! Where did you mount the GPS antenna, and how do you find the accuracy?

Cheers.

diarx
17-11-2011, 01:22 PM
Hey Diarx,

Mine has been flawless the whole time luckily, I did the bluetooth audio update from the website, asked them if it would change the GUI, they said it wouldnt... but you guessed it, it did, it looked better beforehand but i find myself using bluetooth audio with my iphone 4 all the time, its very handy, the slippage function looks **** but what do ya do.

cool, feel a lot safer knowing someone else has tried the update, might give it a crack over the weekend if I can find a spare sd card

Bflat
17-11-2011, 01:37 PM
Has anyone in Melbourne got a set of stereo keys I could borrow? My cup-holder is stuck and I think i'll need to take the stereo out to fix it!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Stuwey
17-11-2011, 01:48 PM
If all else fails in Melb I can post you some.

MissVuks
17-11-2011, 05:38 PM
I'm pretty sure it was mounted behind the cluster lol I was banished from the garage for being annoying during the install.. The accuracy with the gps has been fine. Pretty much on par with my tom-tom on my iPhone..

The Bluetooth mic works well too and I can actually hear ppl :) no more headphones and battling with my old car kit..

fuzion
17-11-2011, 05:44 PM
Mounted above the Cluster. Best place to grab reception or otherwise go for above glove box.

VWindahouse
17-11-2011, 07:16 PM
Awesome, thanks guys :cookie:

jaz
18-11-2011, 11:25 AM
That would be this one i believe:
Eonon D5101 | Car DVD | Specific Car DVD | Car DVD for Glof/POLO (http://www.eonon.com/Car-DVD-Players/Specific-Car-DVD/D5101.html)

I havent seen one in action myself, but the price seems pretty reasonable for what you get.

I was having a look at this one for myself and it looks like it doesnt have direct Iphone connection. Meaning I cant control my phone in regards to music through the head unit. Is this correct?? also it says it wont charge the iphone whilst connected??

flat6
18-11-2011, 04:56 PM
Hi Jaz

I have this unit and im loving it, apart from the quirks like the iphone interface sucks the big, the rest of the unit is nothing short of awesome for the price, you will find youself using bluetooth audio more than the iphone interface.

Also Bflat PM me if you want to borrow my keys

walkerchan
19-11-2011, 08:50 AM
cool, feel a lot safer knowing someone else has tried the update, might give it a crack over the weekend if I can find a spare sd card

Haha same. I ended up buying a RCA(I think been a while) to 3.5 aux. For like 2 dollars from msy while I was there to hook up my iPhone since I hate the ugly layout of the original iPod interface. Also means i can change song easily with the gps running (and since gps makes changing volume a little slower can just use the iPhone buttons) it was only until after that u realise my iPhone had changed majorly from my old iPod haha in that the video output is from the bottom plug not the headphone (didn't check in 3 years because never needed hah)

So yeh. Will try doing the update to get Bluetooth music.

My only annoyance is that I've set up Igo but I cant seem to get it to show the current speed limit until I begin speeding lol

jaz
20-11-2011, 07:59 PM
Think I'm just going to go a clarion D/din unit $600 everything I want except for a nav unit which I don't need. Also comes with three years warranty.

kaanage
21-11-2011, 01:23 PM
CX501A?

The only thing I didn't like about the Clarion double din unit (and the JVC ones) was the small number of lines in the display for iPod/USB listings.

Does it have bass redirection? So many of the cheaper head units lack this and I think it is one of the most important features that you can get for car audio.

jaz
22-11-2011, 11:54 AM
CX501A?

The only thing I didn't like about the Clarion double din unit (and the JVC ones) was the small number of lines in the display for iPod/USB listings.

Does it have bass redirection? So many of the cheaper head units lack this and I think it is one of the most important features that you can get for car audio.

its the VX401a

Not sure about the bass redirection thing but it does have sub control and a low pass filter. For me its probably good as I'm not going to spend my money on a stereo upgrade. I just want bluetooth and ipod connectivity. The other features it has is a bonus like DVD playback. But having a 3 year warranty is very good.

kaanage
22-11-2011, 09:17 PM
That's a great price for one of those. It probably does have bass redirection (high pass for normal outputs) built in as part of the DVD audio processing.

If you add even a small (10" sealed) sub with a small amp (100W bridged rms is plenty), you will be amazed by the improvement if you do nothing else - the standard speakers sound just fine when the bass signal is redirected away from them.

injidup
11-01-2012, 12:36 PM
Anyone still battling with a stereo install for Acc Power (seems to be of an issue with earlier Polo's), this is the way I went. Kills Acc power when the key is turned off, you can turn it back on without starting the engine if you want to chillax...

No Acc trigger in the stock loom and in my car the Ciggy socket power seems to stay on a while (could be permanent, only tested 10 min)

I need to sort out my Kenwood (it's a pain having to manually switch it off every time I leave the car!
Will report back on success (or not!).

Thanks for the info.

csimpson
11-01-2012, 01:28 PM
How much is a set of keys to pull the stereo out? I want to get one of the iPod or aux-audio cables but want to spend as little as possible.

Syd118TSI
12-01-2012, 06:30 AM
I managed to get the stereo out by creating my own 'key' by cutting a credit card into strips with a tapered sort of hook on the end. Created two and used them in diagonal slots and was able to pull it out without any hassle.

diarx
20-08-2012, 09:54 PM
Hey Diarx,

Finally pulled my finger out over the weekend and updated my partners eonon firmware and upgraded to igo primo (sygic maps started crashing a month or so back for no apparent reason!).. I guess being so busy and with it not being my own car I'd just forgotten about it!

Unit operates a little faster from what I can tell, but what a difference the change to igo primo makes! Much better UI and the general operation is much smoother/faster too. Also played around with the gps sensor position inside the dash a bit while I was there, located it closer to the top of the dash with some double sided tape so the gps pickup is much quicker now, where before I had it hidden behind the paystation ticket holder and it was taking at least a minute or two to lock on.

Definitely not a fan of the 'slippage' function either, but given switch between the two menu screens is not something that is done that often you barely see it really.

Hows your unit holding up with time anyway? No reliability issues with ours so far, but considering upgrading it to a Pioneer appradio 2 early next year (since I can't put one in the Giulietta without completely ruining the interior look :( )

flat6
20-08-2012, 10:30 PM
Hey Mate,

Yep the eonons been fairly decent so far, no probs at all, I just recently hooked up a mono amp + sub to the system, turns out the sub woofer output on the back is actually a coax out, ended up using the front left and right rca for sub, the sound quality is ok but the rca voltage is a bit low at 1v, really needs a bit of gain to get any thump, have mine set at about 65% and its ok.

Also pulled the unit apart and wired up a usb extension lead so i could have the USB plugged without seeing it, for the price its fantastic value and still cant find anything better than it for the price, Just wished them crazy Asians would pull their finger out and actually fix the minor flaws, they have a top product that just needs minor fixes.

PS holy crap on that pioneer deck, about time they put android on a head unit :D if only it had gps

noone
10-01-2013, 03:57 PM
I have an 8" sub and amp coming from the States, before the freight the Infinity Sub was about $50! with a basic amp its costing me about $170. I do like cheap experiments (as 1/2 dozen headphones lying around my couch will attest to)
Hopefully will still kick along nicely in its tiny 9L box, If it cant keep up I will need to make a bandpass box for it instead (trying to keep some boot space).

Coupled with the Eclipse head I have, I'm hoping to get a little more grunt from it, nothing special.

flat6
10-01-2013, 05:50 PM
Wow my post above is grossly outdated, eonon was piece of crap sound quality wise when you amp it...

Let us know how it turns out noone, ended up going with a 27l custom box in the rear with a 12" polk mm1240, thing kicks ass

You may be better off with 2x 8" subs, they should give you tonnes of mid thump

seangti
10-01-2013, 07:38 PM
You may be better off with 2x 8" subs, they should give you tonnes of mid thump
Or find some bass engines like alpine and jaycar used to make if space is important. I haven't been able to find them locally as I was going to mount some to a racing simulator seat at home.

I'm running a pioneer double din sat nav, DVD, iPod deck with a 2 channel PPI amp bridged running a 12" Option Audio sub in a small sealed box. Its one of their small box designs and sounds really quite good. Factory speakers are crappy and one day i might fit some of the audio gear I tried selling ages ago. Got some old alpine DD drives I could throw in.

flat6
10-01-2013, 09:12 PM
Just finished writing up my experience with the whole Polo Audio upgrade, been fun..

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f78/polo-gti-9n-stealth-audio-upgrade-guide-stealth-amp-78592-2.html

noone
11-01-2013, 07:31 AM
Thanks for the input. First time with 8's, first time since my Corolla with 2 15's.

Im happy with the stock woofers once some sound deadening is added, the door skins sealed and the new HU.

flashpixx
11-01-2013, 10:16 AM
sound deadening seems a good idea even if not upgrading the noise box

LZY13B
21-01-2013, 06:52 AM
Ok I've been installing sound systems for about 10 years now but always jap cars and stuff and all this wiring looks like a headache haha might just ask my mates at north parra life style store 2 install this one

Was at the shop the other day looking at another double din clarion touch screen like I had in my old car cos I like my iPod list coming up on it. Was looking and just a hu and upgrading the speakers and just a 4 channel amp don't really want to put a sub in and weigh the car down

Was thinking just a nice set of splits up front and just looking at the back speakers looks like there is enough space to fit 6x9's in there has anyone done that setup?

flat6
21-01-2013, 07:34 PM
Was thinking just a nice set of splits up front and just looking at the back speakers looks like there is enough space to fit 6x9's in there has anyone done that setup?

It would require a fair bit of hacking to the panel, yet doable if you wish to go down that path

Decent set of fronts like morels will give you tonnes of mid bass and stocks in the rear for fill will sound great, I sometimes prefer my setup without the sub as its just more comfortable to listen to.

To be honest you don't hear the rears, I spent too much time emphasizing on the rears only to learn this :(

LZY13B
21-01-2013, 08:32 PM
The only reason I want 6x9s in the back is for a bit more bass without installing a sub cos I want it 2 look neat and stealth and anything is possible if you know who 2 do it. Might have to start fiberglassing something 2 suit like I did my other car

Cheers mate

flat6
21-01-2013, 09:27 PM
Its not that hard to do a proper stealth install with a sub, set mine up with a decent 5ch amp and removable sub in the rear, the pdx amps are the most efficient ive ever seen, have had this thing pumping loud with the car off for over 2hrs straight with very little battery drain, tested with a multimeter.

Amp is completely hidden above the passenger foot well and invisible from outside the car
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/

This was just after installing the morels
http://imageshack.us/a/img217/3992/dsc03019iu.jpg

Used a piece of carpet to cover the panel as a temporary fix until i can dig up that kick panel and modify it, need an updated pic
http://imageshack.us/a/img198/4200/dsc03020fk.jpg

Built a custom 12" sub box to maximize boot space, still fit everything I need to in the rear without any hassle.

Have also sound deadened the doors, quarter panels and boot, difference was amazing... Figured if i went half assed it'd cost me double lol

LZY13B
31-01-2013, 09:27 AM
Ok so I picked up my new head unit the other day and was thinking of installing it 2moro unlikely I have any problems hooking it up most likely the hardest thing will be taking out the old one lol

Do I need special keys for this or something? I gave it a quick look other other day with just some normal cd player keys and I can hear them click so should I just try pulling it out as I do it or what?

scorp121
15-02-2013, 01:40 PM
Do I need special keys for this or something? I gave it a quick look other other day with just some normal cd player keys and I can hear them click so should I just try pulling it out as I do it or what?

Some of these (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260669176476&ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:AU:3160#ht_2650wt_992) is what you need.

LZY13B
16-02-2013, 12:36 PM
i just ripped mine out lol end result :cool:

flat6
16-02-2013, 01:01 PM
Looking good :D

rgvlee
16-02-2013, 01:25 PM
Do all double dins stock/aftermarket work the same i.e., insert keys and remove? I want to remove an aftermarket one.

LZY13B
17-02-2013, 12:49 AM
my wiring i didn't bother with the standard box and tapped right into the wires and it works like the standard head unit and turns off when i remove the key
https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/539381_10151323202779315_426249104_n.jpg

no standard units need the right keys or just rip it out like i did haha after market depends on how its mounted but if you put a photo up of your setup im sure i can point u in the right direction and how 2 remove you current unit

flashpixx
17-02-2013, 03:59 PM
First of all - I hate this forum!! I'm spending too much money on this Poli GTI of mine.

After reading this thread from end to end I've come up with the following. I am looking for a simple plug and play swap over. Noting I need to source power.

1. Head Unit: Pioneer AVH2450BT DVD TUNER 2 DIN 5.8" BT - Appreciate any thoughts on this unit. I won't be adding amps, but bluetooth is a must.

AVH2450BT DVD TUNER 2 DIN 5.8" BT | Pioneer Online Store (http://shop.pioneer.com.au/shop-online/car-entertainment/car-av-tuners/avh2450bt-dvd-tuner-2-din-58-bt)

2. Keys:

VOLKSWAGEN VW Fox, Polo CD Stereo Removal Release Keys Set 4 PC5-132 | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VOLKSWAGEN-VW-Fox-Polo-CD-Stereo-Removal-Release-Keys-Set-4-PC5-132-/350502398297?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item519b922959)

3. Plug n Play Wiring Harness

VOLKSWAGEN Polo, Fox, Bora, Jetta Wiring Harness PC2-75 | eBay (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/VOLKSWAGEN-Polo-Fox-Bora-Jetta-Wiring-Harness-PC2-75-/350399843204?pt=UK_Cars_Parts_Vehicles_Terminals_C abling_ET&clk_rvr_id=451449704052&hash=item5195754b84)

4. Antenna Adaptor
VOLKSWAGEN Polo Fakra to DIN Aerial Adaptor PC5-111 | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VOLKSWAGEN-Polo-Fakra-DIN-Aerial-Adaptor-PC5-111-/250704955179?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item3a5f2e072b)

Have I missed anything? How hard is it to source power? Looking at the posts I think it will be obvious from the female end on the wiring loom plug??

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2011/06/5355859347_febc1fc63c-1.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2011/06/5355858543_e900275d20-1.jpg

FarQ
18-02-2013, 10:03 PM
Might be a tad late, but Pioneer (http://shop.pioneer.com.au/category/catalog/car-entertainment/navigationgps) have some refurbished nav units on sale. Also if you use the coupon code "Car" without the quotes, it applies 30% off. But it ends tonight... sorry

flashpixx
19-02-2013, 08:45 AM
Might be a tad late, but Pioneer (http://shop.pioneer.com.au/category/catalog/car-entertainment/navigationgps) have some refurbished nav units on sale. Also if you use the coupon code "Car" without the quotes, it applies 30% off. But it ends tonight... sorry

Thanks, saw those units. Wasn't aware of the 30% disc however. and yes too late I have purchased the AVH2450

rgvlee
19-02-2013, 05:42 PM
no standard units need the right keys or just rip it out like i did haha after market depends on how its mounted but if you put a photo up of your setup im sure i can point u in the right direction and how 2 remove you current unit

Mongoose Q222

Mongoose Q222 | INCAR (http://www.avhub.com.au/index.php/Product-Reviews/INCAR/mongoose-222.html)

Previous owner installed it, not my cup of tea, I'd prefer a single din and use the extra space for a couple of gauges.

scorp121
11-04-2013, 09:15 AM
Where's a good place to put the microphone for the phone in the car?

seangti
11-04-2013, 09:46 AM
Where's a good place to put the microphone for the phone in the car?

Mine is mounted near the rear view mirror, top centre. Was done by an installer. Most will likely run up the A-pillar. When I've been on the phone and the back seats down, people have said it's quite hard to hear me with the cabin noise. So the microphone picks up a lot of noise from the rear. In which case mounting on the A-pillar would likely be more stable.

Long winded explanation for a simple answer :-)

flashpixx
11-04-2013, 07:58 PM
mine is above the mirror too. I think there is a pic a few pages back of it mounted atop the A pillar. A good spot if your passenger wont be joining in the conversation.

kaanage
11-04-2013, 09:35 PM
Top of the A pillar was really easy on the install side of things and I never get complaints about noise from the other end

scorp121
12-04-2013, 04:06 PM
Thanks for the input guys.

So to do this weekend:

1. Get the earth wire sorted out so I can go into setup
2. Get the accessories sorted out so it's not constantly on
3. Get the dimmer happenning when the lights are turned on
4. Get the phone microphone setup in a good spot

If I can get all that sorted I'll be happy :)

scorp121
16-04-2013, 09:18 AM
Managed to do 1 & 2 last weekend which was great now I can actually use the new head unit.

4 would've been done too but it got too hot to work in the car with no shade so that should be done this weekend.

Now for point 3, does anyone know how this works? The head unit I have (Alpine ICS-X8) does have the option for auto dimming, but I'm not sure where the wire is (if it exists) on the harness.

Any ideas?

jaz
16-04-2013, 02:42 PM
Guys got my GF's Eonon D5101 for sale. It been installed for about a 5 mins haha reason being during instalation the auto lock was disabled so we had to take the Polo to VW to get fixed and in the mean time we decided to sell the car and just keep my XR5.

$200 dollars if anyone is interested.

http://www.eonon.com/Car-GPS/Specific-Car-GPS/D5101.html

bakedpeaches
19-04-2013, 09:51 AM
I've got a 2005 9n3 and I've changed my sound system to a point where I'm pretty happy!! This is what I've done so far:

- Pioneer AVH 2450BT double din head unit which I absolutely love, it's easy to use and I'm able to adjust basically everything to my liking!! Only thing that was frustrating was changing the wiring harness, and getting the stock head deck out but I used a little innovation and managed to get it out without buying the keys

- 12" Clarion Subwoofer in the boot (doesn't leave a lot of boot space but I don't mind) not sure what model it is but it kicks hard especially considering the car is like a little sound proof box

- 350v Kenwood amp, again not sure what model coz it's pretty old but it does the job, just running the sub off that for now though I'm looking to upgrade the amp soon

- Kenwood rear speakers (why does a Polo not come with rear speakers?) they were just $50 from Blacktown car audio, not split though coz I didn't want extra trebble in the back..

- Front speakers and tweeters are stock because they seem to sound better then anything else I can find, pretty sure they Blaupunkt like the stock headdeck, haven't pulled them out to have a decent look though..

Overall I love my sound system, all up it cost me less then $500 and it's kicks hard and is clearer then some people who spend thousands!!

kaanage
19-04-2013, 11:50 AM
12" Clarion Subwoofer in the boot (doesn't leave a lot of boot space but I don't mind) not sure what model it is but it kicks hard especially considering the car is like a little sound proof box
Put plug connectors in your wiring so that the sub can be removed. Then you get the great bass for the 98% of the time you don't need the boot and you can yank it out for the 2% of the time when you actually need the load space.

- 350v Kenwood amp, again not sure what model coz it's pretty old but it does the job, just running the sub off that for now though I'm looking to upgrade the amp soon
Since you have crashing bass already, why?
My 90W amp cleanly powers my (10") sub beyond the accoustic limits of what I'm willing to endure.

- Front speakers and tweeters are stock because they seem to sound better then anything else I can find, pretty sure they Blaupunkt like the stock headdeck, haven't pulled them out to have a decent look though..
Yep, I've demoed my car, with all the speakers stock, to many people and everyone is flabbergasted at the sound and volume that they can output (because my head unit allows redirection of the bass signals to the sub - mine is set to cross-over at 80Hz with a 12dB/octave slope)

Overall I love my sound system, all up it cost me less then $500 and it's kicks hard and is clearer then some people who spend thousands!!
You must have already have most of the components on hand from previous cars or got some good secondhand deals to achieve that but well done on an eminently sensible approach.

noone
19-04-2013, 01:42 PM
I'm happy with my 8" boxed, I'd be upto probably $450 spent all up on sound (not including sound proofing).

Stock speakers are quite good, no where near good splits, but fine for budget system.

flashpixx
19-04-2013, 02:39 PM
- Pioneer AVH 2450BT double din head unit which I absolutely love, it's easy to use and I'm able to adjust basically everything to my liking!!

Same as mine. Yep great unit. I'm running stock speakers tho. Had it professionally installed using a proper (expensive!) harness. Best thing for me is bluetooth phone. Excellent integration and a decent noise cancelling mic comes as std.

flat6
19-04-2013, 07:05 PM
Yep, I've demoed my car, with all the speakers stock, to many people and everyone is flabbergasted at the sound and volume that they can output (because my head unit allows redirection of the bass signals to the sub - mine is set to cross-over at 80Hz with a 12dB/octave slope)

Heard it myself, pretty impressive for the price, still loving my kenwood unit

diarx
06-09-2013, 05:50 PM
Finally ditched the Eonon and had a Parrot Asteroid Smart installed in the missus GTI today - you were totally right about the sound quality of the Eonon flat6, the initial novelty/price of that unit kind of distracted from the mediocre sound quality . The Parrot is back to sounding better than the stock unit.

As for the unit itself:

The GUI on this thing is really nice and fluid. Of course not as smooth as the latest and greatest Android v4.x on my current phone (Nexus 4), but definitely feels as good as lets say v2.x Android on my previous Samsung Galaxy S2. It's really fast, but it's hasn't got that buttery smoothness you find in the lastest android.

Had it installed at Metrosound Artarmon - they did a pretty nice job of putting all the USB and GPS cables ends in the dash cubby and using a rubber grommet to hide the rough edges of the hole they drilled - everything sits in there hidden away rather nicely.

The bluetooth A2DP music playback from the missus phone works well, she plays back Audio books on her Nexus 4 from Audible and she's pretty much ecstatic at just being able to do that above anything else. The phone side of things works quite well too.

Not sure if phone internet sharing is working on it yet - I gave it a try in our underground parking, but her phone is on voda and I'm thinking I'll have to go outside to get enough reception for it to work. Will have another try over the weekend when I have more time to play.

Will have to suss out navigation apps too, I think the iGo nav app currently preinstalled on there is American maps. Once I get internets working on it and hack it to install the Google play store I'll have access to Google maps and other nav apps on the Android market.

Sound quality - It a bit better than the stock polo unit, and WAY WAY better than the Eonon unit I just replaced. There's some sub woofer and bass curve controls in the menu too. I don't think it's ever going to be a top Audiophile quality unit, but it does have 6 pre-outs rated at 6v (I recall 3v pre-outs were all the rage back when I was into fully sick sound systems) so hooking up and amp and getting good sound shouldn't be a problem. The onboard amp output is rated a 23w rms x 4 (55w x 4 max), from what we've played on it through the Polo's stock speakers it seems pretty reasonable, not that we listen to much loud/doof doof music these days though.

The only other thing is the screen looks a little shiny - which could become annoying in low sun - but even with the Eonon that was a problem, and was pretty easily rectified with an anti glare screen protector.

Here's some install pics, should have a short vid up soon too.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/09/9SjhdvF-1.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/09/dpBF4Xr-1.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/09/8k6NrFt-1.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/09/2t9okMN-1.jpg

diarx
06-09-2013, 05:57 PM
Vid,

Excuse the crashing noises from someone nearby chucking out stuff in the garbage room.. and powderfinger :facepalm:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPWOAoluuU8 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPWOAoluuU8)

flat6
06-09-2013, 06:05 PM
Nice job on the upgrade, will have to update us on what its like to live with :)

Definitely looks smoother than the eonon unit, massive improvement there

I always find after a few months you spot the annoying things with any system, im the same with the doof doof music, found myself turning the sub down the other day, maybe im getting old lol

diarx
06-09-2013, 06:26 PM
Yep, will do - I'm sure there will be a couple of minor annoyances here and there - but so far the responsiveness of the unit has been fantastic as you can see in the vid.

The missus was initially scared of losing the old coaster slot, but I think with A2DP/bluetooth actually working properly now and being able to use 32gb USB sticks she won't care so much.

The really cool part will be hooking it up to the laptop and getting Root on the OS so it can be modded to run whatever you please, different launchers or whatever else. Hopefully parrot keep developing with this unit and upgrade the OS to v4 - even without it the unit looks to have some really nice potential though!

Sheepishly discovered Metrosound are actually a distributor for Parrot and said if I'd purchased the unit of them it would have cost $1000.. didn't even occur to me you could get this unit in Aus as there didn't seem to be much about it on google. Still, $550 or so to import the unit, and all the FM stepping and whatnot is changeable to suit Aus so there's not much incentive to buy locally.

found myself turning the sub down the other day, maybe im getting old lol

lol.. that's been the last 5 or 6 years for me :( I gave myself tinnitus back when I had my Civic, but my ears fortunately seem to have mostly recovered since not having a powerful sound system in my car.

diarx
06-09-2013, 06:35 PM
Only thing I was a little annoyed with was the grained black plastic surround I ordered, doesn't look so nice a contrast between the silver dash to the gloss black of the unit.

Are all the 2din spacer mounts for polo's like this? Or is it a case of just sanding one down smoothly, giving it a spray in gloss black/silver?

flat6
07-09-2013, 10:35 AM
Yeh I notice my hearings a bit more sensitive now, cant have it up so loud anymore.. might be time to sell the fully sick system lol

Wouldn't be too hard to paint that plastic fascia plate, I recon matching it to the silver would be perfect, smooth it down and use a gray primer, would be perfect

kaanage
07-09-2013, 12:31 PM
Yeh I notice my hearings a bit more sensitive now, cant have it up so loud anymore.. might be time to sell the fully sick system lol

That's why I'm perfectly satisfied with my 10" sealed sub powered by a 60W RMS amp with bass redirection from the front and rears to the sub - it goes plenty loud enough for me and anyone else who has sat in my car.

I did try a 300W RMS sub with a 12" sub (also sealed box) and cranked it up to see what it would do (I didn't sit in the car) and it was enough to make the number plate and holder buzz against the valance and the parcel shelf visibly vibrate. I now use that sub in my secondary home theatre.

noone
07-09-2013, 03:02 PM
8" for me in a tiny box, goes hard enough (done 2 x 15" before)

I still need some boot space

kaanage
07-09-2013, 04:28 PM
8" for me in a tiny box, goes hard enough (done 2 x 15" before)

I still need some boot space
That's why I kept saying the bandpass enclosure wouldn't be necessary in the discussion back on vdubClub - the small size of a Polo means that the corner loading effect gives massive gains over open air output so the gain with a bandpass over sealed wouldn't be worth the additional size/complexity.

I suspect the 8" would be enough in reality for me as well but my 10" was something I had from previous vehicles (the 60W amp was a $15 ebay special to see how little power I could get away with). Making the sub removable was a necessity for the few times when I need the boot space - when I first did it in my old Peugeot, it was a common requirement due to amount of stuff needed to run a 125 GP bike

flat6
08-09-2013, 04:47 PM
I guess I could have done with a smaller sub, but I think its a matter of tuning down the speakers to sound more comfortable, problem is the ones I have simply don't distort, they go louder than I could ever handle

Has taken me ages to figure out how to tune them down to a comfortable level and its as simple as increasing the crossover to just over 100htz and using the sub to fill in the low end, they will happily play 60htz but with the polo's cabin being so small, the sound pressure builds up quite quick, becomes uncomfortable to your ears even though it sounds great.

flat6
09-09-2013, 04:26 PM
I did try a 300W RMS sub with a 12" sub (also sealed box) and cranked it up to see what it would do (I didn't sit in the car) and it was enough to make the number plate and holder buzz against the valance and the parcel shelf visibly vibrate. I now use that sub in my secondary home theatre.

How did you make it work with the home theater? Separate amp using a +12v psu?

sschen
06-04-2014, 12:18 AM
I hope it is okay to revive this old thread.

Just hoping to get some help from existing 9N GTi owners on what available DVD/bluetooth players are out there on the market that will fit a 2008 Polo GTi? My preference is a 2DIN touch screen unit. My budget is about $500 just for the unit, is this possible?

I am in Perth so any suggestions on which installers to use and also which ones to avoid?

Thanks in advance! :)

Bullet Fast
11-05-2015, 07:31 PM
Android Head Unit Installation Polo 9n3

There. Google will definitely find this thread now! Haha!

Right so, consider the following.
Telstra and Optus both offer sufficiently high 4g data plans with similar sharing, both offer 4g donlges. Google play music unlimited thing, Spotify etc are relatively affordable
Unlimited, awesome audio books, Netflix etc etc etc. Android head units are a dime a dozen on eBay, cheap and apparently pretty decent.

I'm really thinking about trying to jam a double din android head unit into the polo. So, who's dunnit and what did you learn?