PDA

View Full Version : Bringing my corrado from u.k.??

chazg60
18-12-2006, 09:32 AM
Hi just stumbled accross this site and think somone may be able to help?
I'm moving to brisbane in feb and have a 92 corrado g60 that i really don't want to leave!.
I've had a quote of 1750 pounds for shipping(i must be mad to consider it) only thing that may be a problem is it's left hand drive. Is that a big problem and is there a way around it?
If it's not doable i'll have to buy a right hand drive and stash her for a year 'till i can get it over there.
Cheers and good to see there is a vw scene there.
Chaz.

chazg60
18-12-2006, 09:57 AM
O.k. i've just seen all the posts about this, mmm seems a dificult business, Anoying thing is i've had it over a year and it was first regd in 91, so the Lhd is my only problem! I saw loads ove big ass yank cars over there, are they not Lhd???

Tim
18-12-2006, 10:11 AM
in most eastern states LHD is a no go unless the car is over 30 years old or something? The only other option i think would be to do a conversion. But ud have to bring parts with you.

syncro
18-12-2006, 10:14 AM
You will have to have owned and driven the car for one year in the UK.
You will have to convert it to RHD.

PS Please bring it with you as we don't have enough out here!

Golf Loon
18-12-2006, 10:56 AM
The conversion wouldnt be that hard to get done here, but you need to source steering rack, headlights and dash in the UK and bring em with you.

I think you can get a Ro Ro ferry from Southampton to Sydney for less than that, dunno about Brissie.

Definately bring the car.

Also if you bring another one, you need to have owned it for a year, OR buy it specifically for export to Australia. A good reciept and import approval before it leaves the UK should be suficient.

syncro
18-12-2006, 11:20 AM
OR buy it specifically for export to Australia

What do you mean by that?

Golf Loon
18-12-2006, 01:49 PM
OR buy it specifically for export to Australia

What do you mean by that?

Thats what the Import regs say. You must have owned it for one year, or buy it specifically for export. I have rung them to clarify this and its true. I can buy a car to bring to Australia. This may only apply to Poms moving over here, not to Aussies, but I am still allowed my one import, as are a few of my ex pat mates.

evorobin
18-12-2006, 08:30 PM
Personal import. They'll ask for a purchase receipt and proof of insurance etc. I assume you have owned it over the 12 month period required. They'll ask if it is LHD or modded etc on application which will take a month to come through. Best of luck mate :cool:

chazg60
18-12-2006, 10:09 PM
I will be doing everything i can to try and bring it. May have to get it converted to rhd here first. This buy for export point,isn't that bought from new?? can i get a reciept from a garage saying i bought the car to be exported to aussie?? that sounds way to easy, just need to find a garage with a decent corrado or take mine and get them to do me a reciept.
I supose worse case scenario is i bring a car that i can't use on the road, i'll have to just sit in it in the aussie sun.

evorobin
18-12-2006, 10:55 PM
You can bring any car (bought new or used) you have owned for 12 months regardless (that's you being in the country at the same time though even if it's 12 months staggered).

As I said they want proof of use by you. You can convert it in the UK first but an engineer in Australia will have to check everything is peachy prior to registration. I suppose if you changed it first you wouldn't even need to tell them tbh

Shipping can be had cheaper too. Taxes are about 25% of purchase price ontop of shipping so atleast 2500 pounds all up. You can forge a receipt for UK market value...apparently ;)

Bora Sport
18-12-2006, 10:58 PM
Send a pm to G60Jay as he brought 2 of them over last Christmas.

syncro
19-12-2006, 07:04 AM
I think the bought for export means a new car that is built to Australian specs and when you get it here they give you a compliance plate. BMW and Mercedes used to do this.

OEM G60
19-12-2006, 07:16 PM
G60JAY's were both owned for a year or over by the way, he shipped one over a year after shipping the first one.
Chaz, i'm wondering if you could still bring it over and get it converted here ?? You don't have to put a Corrado dash in it, Audi TT dash looks good in a Rado !! I know there's a rule that you can bring a LHD and have it for show use or something ??
I'm sure it will be cheaper to get it converted in the UK though.

Have a look at this site, this is the company that shipped mine over www.karmanshipping.co.uk there's a concact email address for Steve White on there, seriously worth emailing him or phoning him, he is a top bloke, very helpful, does his job because he's interested in unusual cars like ours. He seems to know the whole thing inside out.

Hope you can bring it with you, just a case of money really by the sounds of it. Good luck, keep us up to date.

OEM G60
19-12-2006, 07:26 PM
Just found this on the Karman site,

LEFT HAND DRIVE VEHICLES – importation is normally prohibited unless the vehicle is more than 15 years old. A concession period may be granted to Bona Fide Migrants for newer vehicles whereby a left hand drive vehicle can be imported but would have to be converted to right hand drive within 6 months of importation.

G60JAY
19-12-2006, 07:36 PM
As Matt mentioned above, I had owned these for a while before. From what I was told before you can bring in a lhd one but just cannot register it. If you want to get it on the road here, it will have to be converted. Either bring the stuff over or sort it there. If you ship roro they won't allow anything brought over inside the car. Best bet is in a container and you can fill the car up with stuff. Will be great to have another corrado up here!

OEM G60
19-12-2006, 07:38 PM
Did you ever see the other Corrado running LPG Jay ?? That'll be 4 Rado's in Brisbane !! Think i should move there !!

G60JAY
19-12-2006, 07:46 PM
Did you ever see the other Corrado running LPG Jay ?? That'll be 4 Rado's in Brisbane !! Think i should move there !!
No i've not seen it yet Matt. It's a pity the qld roads transport dept won't tell me who they are or even the area they are in. Never mind!!

chazg60
19-12-2006, 09:12 PM
Nice 1 guys sounds like i could just about get away with it then as it would be 15 years old
I'll ring that Karmann shipping today carpoid cheers mate, I'm fairley confident that aussie will be blessed with another corrado next year one way or another.
TT dash could be a plan to just bring it up to date abit could try an add aircon if i go to that level of expence though!
So carpoid all in all what did it cost you to get yours there and on the road??
Cheers chaz.

chazg60
20-12-2006, 10:23 PM
Well i spent last night ringing the RTA etc and seems I can bring it but do need to do the coversion first and get it aproved by an engineer there so it's all pending on the cost of the conversion, realy i dont want to spend more than 500 pounds on it as the import will cost close to 3000!!!
I spoke to Karmann and got a better quote so cheers for that.
Chaz.

evorobin
20-12-2006, 11:42 PM
I'd be tempted to buy a G60 when I go back if a conversion is 500 quid. Be interested to hear what quotes you get.

OEM G60
21-12-2006, 07:38 PM
All up i paid, for shipping with Karman in a sole use container,
1500 pounds
Then i had to pay all the customs, quarantine valueation and GST etc etc,
AU$3700
Then compliance, child seat restraints and the underside rustproofed,
AU$1387
Then Rego, cost of euro plates and more Taxes/GST,
AU$712

Not cheap, and not the cheapest option either, i shipped it in a container because i wanted to fill it up with my Record Collection and my tools, also it was the quickest way to do it (4 weeks)

What do you mean about it being nearly 15 yrs old ??
If you mean importing it under the 15yr old rule then its no go as it must be registered before 1st Jan 1989.
As long as you've owned the car for more than 12 months and been insured and in the UK theres nothing stopping you apart from money...........

chazg60
21-12-2006, 08:53 PM
I thought that if it was 15 years old i may get it in lhd but thats 30 years aparently for things like mustangs e.t.c..
Thats about what i worked out price wise just the added expense of the conversion first so thats what it's resting on, just got to way it up cos it's a nice chunk of our moving funds and i need to keep enough for a deposit on a house.....car or house mmm?? haha

Golf Loon
21-12-2006, 09:58 PM
If you convert it in the UK and just bring it as a RHD car, no-one in australia will ever know ;)

syncro
22-12-2006, 05:36 AM
If you convert it in Australia and just bring it as a LHD car, no-one in australia will ever know.

chazg60
30-12-2006, 02:23 AM
Well, it's time to face reality... I can't bring her with me:(
If it was just 8.500 aus$ it would be alot but could do it. But the lhd thing would be an extra 2500 ish for the conversion so i'm looking at $11.000 which is to much so im gonna have to bite the bullet and sell her here and look for somthing different over there, The sacrafice of moving to Aussie man i hope it's worth it 'cos i love that car.
I see theres a few mk3 vr6's there so i'll look for one of them or a mk4 gti I supose i could even get a hilux and fit in haha.
Cheers for all your help on the matter anyway and have a bonza new year!

SylvieKid
30-12-2006, 07:28 AM
Mate, that's too sad for words!! If you're coming to Sydney I'll have a box of tissues ready for ya!! :->

Golf Loon
30-12-2006, 07:41 AM
Thats harsh chaz. Cant you sell it and get a RHD one to bring?
All the Vr6s here are 5 door. Another Corrado would be good to have here.

chazg60
30-12-2006, 10:43 AM
I can't own/use a rhd one for the year needed and can't find any info on this buy with an export reciept option seems a no go. I can picture my aussie house with a corrado on the drive but if i bring the rrado i wont be getting a house !!
I gave my self a limit of 500 for the conversion and it's gonna top that by atleast double
Still i may keep the car here for a while and do it bit by bit on the cheap... who knows.
Just want to get over there now even if it means a 5 door golf:?

RapidE30
07-01-2008, 06:47 AM
Please please please help me!

I know this is a VW site but I'm desperate for some advice.

My wife and I move to Oz in a week and I've seen a BMW E30 M3 for sale in Oz but it's LHD. From what I understand this causes all kinds of issues and I have no idea where I'd stand if I bought it.

P.s.: if it helps, I've owned a few Scirroco's over the years and they rock!

OEM G60
07-01-2008, 05:12 PM
Hello
Basically it needs converting to Rught Hand Drive before you can register it and drive it legally on thr road.
Not a simple job, but possible, especially if you could get a dash etc here in Australia? I don't know if they were sold as RHD here ??

Have a google for dotars.com.au, you'll find all the info there, i think you can have a left hooker if its just used for shows or something ?? Also if it is 30 odd years old, you'll see LHD Mustangs etc here.

Hope that helps

Matt

PS, Another Forum that may help you is www.eurocca.net

evorobin
08-01-2008, 06:33 PM
Please please please help me!

I know this is a VW site but I'm desperate for some advice.

My wife and I move to Oz in a week and I've seen a BMW E30 M3 for sale in Oz but it's LHD. From what I understand this causes all kinds of issues and I have no idea where I'd stand if I bought it.

P.s.: if it helps, I've owned a few Scirroco's over the years and they rock!

Not in WA or NT it's fine drive a modern LHD car. Converting an E30 M3 is very common over here and costs about $5K for someone else to do it and engineer :)

http://www.bellmotorsport.com.au/

Belly could help you mate!

VR6 STORM
13-01-2008, 12:03 AM
Hello mate,
hope this post helps but does not put you off, these cars are very rare here indeed and worth bringing in. You just need to be aware of what it might cost you all up :o

I am in the middle of importing my Corrado VR6 Strom to South Australia. She is still at the importers here in SA, awaiting customs and quarantine clearance (after one month!) :(

Regardless of the LHD issue, of which I am not sure of the rules for different states, dont forget the following points:

1. You will have to have owned it, and used it, abroad for a year minimum and have documentary evidence of this.

2. You will need a good receipt for the purchase of the vehicle.

3. You will in all probability need to get an independent valuer to put a value on the car for customs to apply the taxes. This can be hard as there is no direct equivalent and you might not agree with their vaulation.

3. You will be charged 10% import duty on the cars value minus the shipping costs.

4. Here in SA you are then charged 10% GST on the value plus shipping costs plus its shipping insurance cost!

5. You then need to apply to get the car passed for compliance to the Australian Design Rules, which as a minimum means fitting modified brackets for child seats, even if you have no kids. You will be issued with a compliance statement. You need to make sure the car meets all of the requirements. This may differ in other states?

7. Once you have done all of this, you will need to get it registered and insured (again maybe not so easy to insure as its an import and not a recognised model)

I have had lots of help and encouragement from other members on this forum, notably Carpoid who has a personally imported G60. If you think I can help at all then please mail me mate.

I have had mine valued now and was surprised at the duties I still need to pay for something I have owned for 7 years allready!

Also if it has the Diava aircon fitted then you will need to apply for an exemption certificate for personally imported vehicles with CFC refrigerants.
You will need a good broker to help you with all of this :)

I am also importing my cherished MK1 Golf GTI Turbo Tecnics + lots of modifications, so have twice the headache :rolleyes:

Regards

VR6 Storm :)

VR6 STORM
13-01-2008, 12:13 AM
Ha ha ,
have just posted that long reply on your G60 import then read that your not going to bring her anyway! Took me ages to type all that ;)
Never mind... best of luck mate :)

regards

VR6 Storm

OEM G60
13-01-2008, 05:53 AM
LOL !!
Some useful info there though Nige, i think we should get a thread put together as a guide for people interested in importing cars. I could sticky it here, it would be very helpful and save people having to ask and us to try and remember everything everytime !!

Hope you get yours sorted in the not to distant future.

Matt

VR6 STORM
14-01-2008, 07:54 AM
Matt,
I think thats a great idea mate. Between us we should be able to answer most peoples questions, well once I finally get hold of my cars :)

I guess the rules on getting a vehicle onto the roads, let alone imported, are different interstate. But at lease we could cover NSW and SA?

So yeah, I am up for helping with this.

Nige