PDA

View Full Version : Tiguan Factory Options Thread (or what options can I install after purchasing)

Arctra
08-05-2009, 12:47 PM
Hi guys.

I feel it's come time to retire my Bora in favour of a nice sparkling new Tig. I'm looking at the TDI Automatic as I'm an oil burner fan, and as much as I love the control of a manual, the auto makes more sense with the type of driving I'm doing (pity I can't get a DSG box :-( ). I just need some advice on some of the options. If anyone can give me advice and feedback I'd appreciate it.

Panoramic Electric Glass Roof - My Bora has a sunroof and I like it. The Tig's sunroof looks huge which is aesthetically pleasing though it also gives me concerns. First is it's impact on vehicle rigidity, second it's safety if I roll it, and third is the cloth cover (effectiveness at blocking sun and heat, and whether it'll stand the test of time without looking tatty and worn).

RNS-510+RVC - Is this really worth $3,500 :eek:? Does it come with free map upgrades or do you have to pay for them? How does the satnav compare to Tomtom as quite frankly, I think Tomtom is awesome. The other advantage to this unit other than Satnav is the reversing video and display when in park assist, though I'm not sure how necessary they are. Music wise I'll get the MDI and use my iPod, so don't care for the CD changer etc. Just want to know whether to go for this initially or wait a few years for cheaper and better aftermarket options. If I chose this, I'd lose the sunroof, so it's a big choice.

Park assist - I think this is a no-brainer to go for as everything I've read about it is good. Any contradictions on that?

Bi-Xenon Headlights with Cornering Lights - With the quality of lights so good now days, is this option really worth the 3k? My mates BMW has the cornering lights, and they're nice, but I'm not convinced they're 3k nice. Wouldn't mind feedback though.

Comfort Package - I think this is a no-brainer to go for again, but wouldn't mind feedback.

Off-Road Technology - The only reason I'm considering this is that it's pretty cheap, but I'm not sure how useful it'd be. I don't intend to do much in the way of off-roading, but there will no doubt be one or two times I will. What exactly is included in this option?

I'm going for a test drive tomorrow so may have more questions after that, but I reckon the above would cover most of my concerns. Looking forward to your feedback!

Transporter
08-05-2009, 01:41 PM
I don't own the Tig yet, but I can comment on off road technology, if it saves you from damaging the vehicle while off roading only once, it is worth it. Since hills descent control is part of it and it makes driving down the hill easier. Also it will help with braking on the dirt road. Even if you plan on never driving off road … you never know. I would personally didn’t opt for sunroof for the same reasons you’ve mentioned.

STV4SYT
08-05-2009, 01:46 PM
My opinion, is to minimise on the extras, when it comes resale time u get little or nothing back on them. the RNS510 is a waste of money and it will cost your $299 to upgrade the maps when they are available. I guess what it comes down to is if you intend on keeping the car for 5+ years and will get the value out of the options then spec it as you like it.

Park assist has had nothing but glowing reports on here. Have a look at the buying a tiguan thread to see what people have been paying for them and give you an idea of what discounts to push for.

deepspace
08-05-2009, 02:15 PM
Sunroof is one of the best options but agree with Transporter, if safety is your priority then don't even look at the sunroof... the huge 1.1 m2 open space, feeling of driving a convertible:biggrin:

Bi-Xenon light, I really cannot compare this option with other brands as this is also first time for me. But I do not regret to get it at all, not only looks good, but saftier with brighter light and cornering light (my favourite)! btw: it shall be a $2k option.

Can't comment on NAV but I actually cancelled the original order with the NAV after changed mind. I believe $3.5k is not worthy and swapped it with Bi-Xenon and Dynaudio.

For the rest of your list, they are all neat and handy but really depends on your budget. I get the part assist because of my wife and also the ability to sense the objects behind (get Dr Ross' unagi.....)

And don't forget the fog light, a $400 option or else NZTIGUAN have a post to teach you know how to mount it aftermarket.

NZTiguan
08-05-2009, 02:28 PM
Just a quick "I agree" with the posts above and to add that if the off-road option isn't too expensive (you can only get it here with the full "track and field" setup with different nose etc) the I'd certainly have it if I was you. It's equally good is mud, snow, sand, loose gravel etc and with a combination of very clever electronics makes you 1000% safer when things get a bit dicey. Combined with the auto box it controls gear selection, brake and throttle response, hill decent and ascent (won't let it roll back on slippery uphill stuff), electronic diff locking etc etc. Well worth it IMHO. You also get a compass oh wow !!!!

Cheers

Arctra
08-05-2009, 02:47 PM
My opinion, is to minimise on the extras, when it comes resale time u get little or nothing back on them. the RNS510 is a waste of money and it will cost your $299 to upgrade the maps when they are available. I guess what it comes down to is if you intend on keeping the car for 5+ years and will get the value out of the options then spec it as you like it.

Well, that settles that then. I'm happy getting a top of the range Tomtom 930 with SUNA rather than the RNS510 if map upgrades cost that much. I plan on keeping the vehicle more than 5 years so think it's worth paying for some extra's.

Sunroof is one of the best options but agree with Transporter, if safety is your priority then don't even look at the sunroof... the huge 1.1 m2 open space, feeling of driving a convertible:biggrin:

<snip>

Can't comment on NAV but I actually cancelled the original order with the NAV after changed mind. I believe $3.5k is not worthy and swapped it with Bi-Xenon and Dynaudio.

<snip>

And don't forget the fog light, a $300 or else NZTIGUAN have a post to teach you know how to mount it aftermarket.

Yeah, the sunroof is cool - a very nice to have, but I just want to be sure it's not going to comprimise handling and safety too much.

Please educate me on this Dynaudio? Is that the tech that turns the music down when you stop at traffic lights, and then back up again when there's more ambient noise? Or is it noise cancelling or something?

Are the fog lights much use other than to look cool? Do you use them for night driving by default for better lighting? How do they affect oncoming traffic?

Just a quick "I agree" with the posts above and to add that if the off-road option isn't too expensive (you can only get it here with the full "track and field" setup with different nose etc) the I'd certainly have it if I was you. It's equally good is mud, snow, sand, loose gravel etc and with a combination of very clever electronics makes you 1000% safer when things get a bit dicey. Combined with the auto box it controls gear selection, brake and throttle response, hill decent and ascent (won't let it roll back on slippery uphill stuff), electronic diff locking etc etc. Well worth it IMHO. You also get a compass oh wow !!!!

Thanks. Sounds worth having then, given it's only a couple hundred bucks.

Spook
08-05-2009, 02:55 PM
I do not own a Tig yet, but here's my take on the options.

Panoramic Electric Glass Roof - Agree with deepspace - will be like in a convertible but the cloth cover (instead of a solid cover) does raise question marks on blocking the sun and heat. I'm sold on it though :).

RNS-510+RVC - For me, it is unnecessary. How many times would you be venturing into somewhere new? For day to day drive, you won't need it and there's always the UBD (or google maps) if you do (got to plan ahead, I suppose). I can read maps pretty well so not a concern for me. If anything, a portable sat nav like Tomtom is better as it
a) costs much less
b) portable so if you go overseas or change cars, you can take it with you.
The risk is that the Tomtom can be stolen, and you'll have the inconvenience of wiping off the suction marks each time you park. For me, I'll take the sunroof over the RNS510.

Park assist - Agreed - no brainer that one. Even if you do not need the auto-park feature, it is worth just to get it for the on screen display. There is another thread about how it will look on the RCD310 (not so good apparently), so it may worth getting the Dynaudio which will give you the RCD510.

Bi-Xenon Headlights with Cornering Lights. A nice option to have. Nice if your budget can stretch it. Also as deepspace pointed it, it is $2k, not $3k. And unlike Audi or BMW, you don't have to pay extra for the cornering function.

Comfort Package - $1k well spent IMHO.

Leather seats - it's really a personal choice, but if you option it, you also get the trays behind the seat backs and a storage drawer under the passenger's seat. But at $4k, it doesn't come cheap.

My opinion, is to minimise on the extras, when it comes resale time u get little or nothing back on them. .
Is that also true of 'premium' europeans? I know this is a common understanding of most cars but I would have thought with Audi, BMW, Merc etc the buyers are aware that the base car price is just the beginning and options are a normal way of life. Thus second-hand buyers are prepared to pay extra for the 'right' options.

deepspace
08-05-2009, 03:08 PM
Arctra, Dynaudio is a premium sound system option which costs $1800 on TDI and $1300 on 147TSI. It also brings you the RCD510 with 6.5' touch screen and 6 CD changer. IMO it is a worthy investment not just because of the better sound quality but the huge touch screen display. RCD510 is definitely a great unit to play with and as Spook pointed out it stretches the value when you view the OPS (optical parking system) with park assist.

deepspace
08-05-2009, 03:11 PM
a quick reference to Dynaudio 300w system

http://www.dynaudio.com/eng/auto/tiguan.php

Arctra
08-05-2009, 03:35 PM
Thanks for that. Just 2 other things I forgot to ask about.

1) Roof-rack cross bars - although there's mention of them on the VW website, there doesn't appear to be anything on the pricelist. Anyone have any idea how much they'd be? I believe Rola one's would be in the $250 region, so would be interested if they're much more/less from dealers.

2) Tow hitch - again, not on the pricelist. is this better to get aftermarket, or factory fitted? If the latter, any idea how much it is in Aus?

Spook
08-05-2009, 03:37 PM
Are the fog lights much use other than to look cool? Do you use them for night driving by default for better lighting? How do they affect oncoming traffic?

Just to look cool... really. Real foglights are not white (but yellow/orange), as white reflects off the fog. In NSW is is illegal to use fog lights unless in "adverse driving conditions".

I have seen cars that just have their parking lights and fogs on. Real cool... not.

brh1978
08-05-2009, 04:24 PM
Hi, I have the 147TSI, I added the following options:

Dynaudio: 147 already comes with the RCD510 head unit, the dynaudio option added an amp and 8 x Dynaudio speakers...sounds fantasic

MDI: The MDI which is the interface to allow you to connect an ipod or external hard drive or standard USB MP3 player into your audio system. You get full control over the external music player/hard drive via the stereo system buttons/touch screen and get to see playlist, artist tracks etc on the screen. Factory fitted it seems this gets properly fitted into the centre console and it is a fairly cheap option. Dealer fitted (as in my case) it is double the price and they put the connection inside the glove box (which looks aftermarket and not genuine).

Door Sill Scuff Plates: I initially thought these were great, unfortunately the Tiguan Logo is wearing off my drivers door one as the scuff plate is rubbing on the bottom of the door which is also marking the paint...I'd say the dealer didn't fit them correctly. It's going back to have new ones fitted as soon as the replacements arrive.

Park Assist: As everyone's mentioned the sensors and the optical display on the radio screen is fantastic, you can activate the sensor anytime by pressing a button on the console (i.e. you don't have to be reversing to activate them). I've only tried the auto park twice, unfortunately i had to stop it both times as it was heading straight for the gutter and I didn't want to scratch my mags...I need to find a quiet spot to give it another test run!

Leather: Absolutely worth it, the leather quality is superb, the lumbar adjustment on both front seats is great. The under seat storage drawer is handy and I love the electric seat adjustment

Genuine Carpet Mats: Not really worth the price but I've tried to find aftermarket mats that fit in the footwell properly...not had any luck so far (I want mats for my mats to use when it's raining)

Comfort Pack: The 147 comes with this standard, IMHO it is worth the upgrade in the diesel. The Climatronic dual zone A/C is great, but the best feature is the Air quality sensor with automatic air recirculation...a must in the city, no more smelly fumes! I had a Climatronic A/C in my Golf, the Tiguan system is way better, it is a true set and forget climate control system. The auto windscreen wipers work flawlessly, my auto headlights were doing weird things when I first got the car (coming on in the middle of the day) but they seem to be OK now.

Compared to my MK4 Golf the standard head lights are a great improvement.

I hope this helps a little.

Transporter
08-05-2009, 05:38 PM
I would get the factory tow bar rather than aftermarket one it will work properly from the day one. For me it is like extra protection for the back especially at the car parks, it cost more to repair the paint, than to order genuine tow bar. I never remove the ball from the towbar.

Spook
08-05-2009, 05:52 PM
Thanks for that. Just 2 other things I forgot to ask about.

1) Roof-rack cross bars - although there's mention of them on the VW website, there doesn't appear to be anything on the pricelist. Anyone have any idea how much they'd be? I believe Rola one's would be in the $250 region, so would be interested if they're much more/less from dealers.

2) Tow hitch - again, not on the pricelist. is this better to get aftermarket, or factory fitted? If the latter, any idea how much it is in Aus?

Ah yes, the accessories. Can I add to the list?

3) Are the sidesteps available yet? Wondering how much they cost.

4) The boot liners. They come in 2 versions - the plastic tub and the carpet mats. Does anyone have them and how much are they?

brh1978 - how much is the list price for the genuine floor mats and the door scuff plates?

At the rate the options and accessories are stacking up, I'm pricing myself out of a Tig!! :duh: But oh so tempting.

Transporter
08-05-2009, 06:49 PM
If buying on budget, than IMO the must have accessories would be:

Off road technology
Carpets
Anything else you can live without or buy aftermarket later

brh1978
08-05-2009, 09:31 PM
brh1978 - how much is the list price for the genuine floor mats and the door scuff plates?

I paid:

Scuff Plates - $265.00 inc gst fitted
Premium Mats - $239.00 inc gst

Johnno
08-05-2009, 10:07 PM
Anything else you can live without or buy aftermarket later

If you're going to buy aftermarket don't forget to add the cost of fitting the parts - unless you're going to do it yourself of course. And then there's the drama of functionality loss (RNS510 aftermarket doesn't come with rear camera) and wiring dramas (fog lights and tow kit, so I am told).

I wanted to change my mind about extras but was told I was too late, the order had already gone in to VW. Larger wheels would cost me rims + rubber which added up to more than the original option if I had ordered them at the time.

Sharkie
09-05-2009, 07:20 AM
I'm getting premium car mats thrown in by the dealer for free but if I didn't I'd be buying them here: $99

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Volkswagen-Tiguan-Tailored-Car-mats-NEW-AUS-MADE_W0QQitemZ220409737318QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Ca r_Parts_Accessories?hash=item220409737318&_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

and not from the dealer.

And boot mat here: $75

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Volkswagen-Tiguan-Tailored-Car-Boot-Cargo-Mat-NEW_W0QQitemZ220409734776QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Car _Parts_Accessories?hash=item220409734776&_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

And an IPod adaptor, no worse than the VW from the look of it here: $189
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Car-iPod-iPhone-charge-and-play-adaptor-VW-TIGUAN_W0QQitemZ200301072121QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_ Car_Parts_Accessories?hash=item200301072121&_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

It even has a VAG car in the picture .....

clip
09-05-2009, 06:27 PM
Factory options might include comfort pack and park assist.

Things like leather you can do here in Aus (save yourself about $2000, + you get best leather and you can choose from a much bigger range of colours).

After that the other option you really might like to consider for you Tig is the remap - best upgrade you'll ever do!

clip
09-05-2009, 06:46 PM
I've only tried the auto park twice, unfortunately i had to stop it both times as it was heading straight for the gutter and I didn't want to scratch my mags...I need to find a quiet spot to give it another test run!

Just make sure that you're not too close to the vehicle beside you. I make sure that when I'm cruising past parked vehicles, I'm doing it at the same distance that I normally would when looking for a reverse park (sounds obvious, but for some reason, the first couple of times I realised I was driving past them closer than I normally would). The system can only do what it can do, and try as it might, it's not going to get me into a spot if I've set it up wrong - as I was doing! Since keeping that distance now, I've never had a single failure in probably over 30 parks or more (apart from when I pulled up beside a flat-bed truck and it lost the back of it and tried to spear me into the end of the tray!).

Arctra
10-05-2009, 06:15 AM
So I test drove the TIG TDI twice yesterday... once in the std TDI and the other in the fully optioned one. I have more questions:

RNS-510+RVC - For me, it is unnecessary.
<snip>
Park assist - Agreed - no brainer that one. Even if you do not need the auto-park feature, it is worth just to get it for the on screen display. There is another thread about how it will look on the RCD310 (not so good apparently), so it may worth getting the Dynaudio which will give you the RCD510.

and

Arctra, Dynaudio is a premium sound system option which costs $1800 on TDI and $1300 on 147TSI. It also brings you the RCD510 with 6.5' touch screen and 6 CD changer. IMO it is a worthy investment not just because of the better sound quality but the huge touch screen display. RCD510 is definitely a great unit to play with and as Spook pointed out it stretches the value when you view the OPS (optical parking system) with park assist.

Speaking to the sales woman at Barloword (who I wasn't very impressed with), she said that if you want the LCD screen you have to opt for the satnav. The Dynaudio option does not automatically mean you get the LCD screen. The Dynaudio website seems to back that up:
"The optional Dynaudio sound system provides eight Dynaudio loudspeakers, digital signal processing (DSP) and 300 watts digital amplification"

No, frankly, I'm not to concerned about the speakers and sound quality as I'm no audiophile. But the LCD screen with reversing camera were certainly impressive in my opinion. I'll definitely be opting for the Park Assist, but it looks like I'll have to live with beeps and a basic display rather than the nice big LCD and reversing camera.

If you can shed some more light on this I'd appreciate it.

I would get the factory tow bar rather than aftermarket one it will work properly from the day one. For me it is like extra protection for the back especially at the car parks, it cost more to repair the paint, than to order genuine tow bar. I never remove the ball from the towbar.

I'd like a towbar, but I can't see how the $1000 to $1500 the dealers quoted me are worth it. From what I understand if you get a reputable supplier to fit an aftermarket one here it'll cost in the $300 to $500 fitted price bracket, though I'm not sure if that'll tie in nicely with the ECU to modify your mapping appropriately when towing.

3) Are the sidesteps available yet? Wondering how much they cost.

I can't comment on the Tig, but in the past sidesteps have proven to be more pain than they're worth in my family. Squeaking, rubbing off paint, and starting to look tackey after a couple years are the main problems. Would you really use them, or are they just to look good? If the latter, I'd advise against them.

Johnno
10-05-2009, 09:22 AM
Just to be clear - are you talking about the step fitted to the outside of the vehicle, or the scuff plate inside the door?

Transporter
10-05-2009, 10:14 AM
I'd like a towbar, but I can't see how the $1000 to $1500 the dealers quoted me are worth it. From what I understand if you get a reputable supplier to fit an aftermarket one here it'll cost in the $300 to $500 fitted price bracket, though I'm not sure if that'll tie in nicely with the ECU to modify your mapping appropriately when towing.

I can't comment on the Tig, but in the past sidesteps have proven to be more pain than they're worth in my family. Squeaking, rubbing off paint, and starting to look tackey after a couple years are the main problems. Would you really use them, or are they just to look good? If the latter, I'd advise against them.

I don't believe that you get the tow bar properly installed to Tig for $500.
But lets say that somebody would fit it for $500, than I would doubt that it is wired up correctly. Factory tow bar fitted by the dealer comes with 3 years warranty. If you get rear-ended you get a new genuine tow bar, but if you opted for aftermarket you get something else. That is enough to satisfy me to spend extra $1000 on it. (The Last thing you want is someone with the drill not knowing anything about Tig drilling in yours, I also wouldn't like to be the first one the dealer is going to fit the tow-bar to.)

The side steps also protect the doors at the car parks when someone park to close and open his/hers door too wide. It all depends what you choose, how it is installed and how do you look after it.

NZTiguan
10-05-2009, 10:34 AM
Be VERY careful with after-market tow-bars and wiring. The Tig has very advanced electronics that monitor all the circuits and so if you "tap in" to other wiring the Tig will keep saying there are faults. Also, the Tig's special trailer wiring allows the alarm to work with the trailer AND more particularly resets the esp and abs to take the trailer into account and remove any rear "wobble" caused by the trailer so the trailer can't "take over" the car. Personally I think this is an area where VW specific is worth the money.

Cheers

Spook
10-05-2009, 08:56 PM
Speaking to the sales woman at Barloword (who I wasn't very impressed with), she said that if you want the LCD screen you have to opt for the satnav...

...If you can shed some more light on this I'd appreciate it.

According to the brochure:

"Dynaudio 300W premium audio system, 8 channel amplifier and 8 speakers, AM/FM security coded radio, 6-1/2" touch screen display, with SD card slot and MP3 compatible 6 disc CD changer, in dash."

Sure sounds like RCD510 to me. I think she's trying to upsell you to the sat nav. Either that or it's back to the product training for the salesperson. Or perhaps the brochure is wrong.

deepspace
11-05-2009, 09:52 AM
Speaking to the sales woman at Barloword (who I wasn't very impressed with), she said that if you want the LCD screen you have to opt for the satnav.
Arctra, the Dynaudio option definitely comes with the RCD510 unit which I have in my tig. I fully optioned it except satnav.

The Dynaudio option price difference between 147TSI which is equipped a RCD510 as standard with rest of models can also tell the truth.

tiguan_hunting
11-05-2009, 02:58 PM
Hi there,

I'm looking at getting a Tiguan later this month. As with most European cars the list of options are endless but I think Ive figured out what I need. However I've got a few questions re some of the options available and was hoping someone out there would have some advice/suggestions.

1. MDI for ipod - I read somewhere that some one had this fitted by dealer rather than factory fitted and they didn't do a good job. Has anyone out there had a factory fitted one done? Also I assume having MDI would allow the you to control the ipod using the car radio. Does this mean that if you are no longer on AUX option on the radio the ipod switches itself off or goes into standby? I guess what I'm really asking is whether having the MDI will it give you full control over your ipod via the radio? Also anyone out there with the std RCD310 radio and the MDI fitted? Any feedback on how it performs?

2. The dealer has advised me that based on the options/colour that I want the only car he has available is one that is fitted with the 18" wheel which I don't want. He said that he can swap it back to the std 16" wheels with another Tiguan. Has anyone done this? This may sound like a silly question but will a car that comes fitted with 18" wheel having a suspension tuned specifically for 18" wheel as appose to a car with 16" wheels? I prefer a softer ride and understand that a 16" wheel will give you that. So I'm hoping I don't sacrifice ride comfort by swapping the wheels.

3. Does anyone know the specs for the RCD310 and the std speakers? Dynaudio option which comes with RCD510 has 300 watt speakers. I wonder what the wattage is for the std speakers? Just wondering whether $1800 is worth upgrading to RCD510 when the car already comes with 8 speakers. Is it really any better? Or at least $1800 better?

Thanks

brh1978
11-05-2009, 04:33 PM
1. MDI for ipod - I read somewhere that some one had this fitted by dealer rather than factory fitted and they didn't do a good job. Has anyone out there had a factory fitted one done? Also I assume having MDI would allow the you to control the ipod using the car radio. Does this mean that if you are no longer on AUX option on the radio the ipod switches itself off or goes into standby? I guess what I'm really asking is whether having the MDI will it give you full control over your ipod via the radio? Also anyone out there with the std RCD310 radio and the MDI fitted? Any feedback on how it performs?

I have the dealer fitted MDI in my 147 which comes with the RCD510, i also have the Dynaudio option. I have full control of the iPod from the RCD510 touchscreen (navigating artists, songs, plaslists etc), it shows the artist, album and song info on the RCD510 screen. I can also see the Artist name and Song Title on the red Multifunction screen and can skip tracks via the multifunction steering wheel.

If you've ever had a Alpine Head unit, it is pretty the same ipod control as this. Before I had the MDI fitted I had a 3.5mm AUX-in inside the centre console this input has now been disconnected. My ipod currently isn't turning off (as it has been dead flat a couple of times first thing in the morning). I'm still trying to figure out if it's because my ipod is too old (it's about 4 years old) and there's a compatibility issue or that's just how it is...I'm going to try my new ipod nano with it to see what happens.

I've only heard the Dynaudio systems in the Tigs I test drove so I can't comment on the standard audio system. IMO The Dynaudio it awesome with the volume cranked up, at a low level it's so, so (not much bass)...prob not worth the money but if you want to keep your car looking OEM and like good quality loud music...yep it's worth it :biggrin:

If you're after more info on the RCD310 trying downloading the new Golf brochure as there might be something in there as I believe it is the standard radio across the range, or maybe try download a Tig brochure from VW UK.

Hope this helps.

tiguan_hunting
11-05-2009, 05:47 PM
Thanks brh1978.

I will need to really listen to both radios to see whether I can pick up the difference. Was your MDI installed in the glove compartment?

Philbie
11-05-2009, 06:27 PM
might be worth the ask at your dealer about the upgrade software for the RNS510, I am told that it may well control the Ipod and Iphone. Also that the Phone module is likely to be added for the Australian market, however this will be a paid option.

clip
11-05-2009, 06:54 PM
chalk and cheese between the dynaudio and the standard IMO. Dynaudio is top shelf audio gear, and while I actually prefer the sound of the Focal RCD510's, the Dynaudio are still great. They are a very Euro sounding speaker - clean, clear very precise. But have a listen to them first. My ex wouldn't have known if it was a $3000 system or $300 one.

The standard speakers are 50cent units made of plastic and cardboard. I'm surprised they sound as good as they do - just don't turn them up.

To hear bottom end in a car at low volumes you need a sub. It's simply that the road noise generated in cars cancels out that range of frequencies. To overcome it, you need substantially more air movement that can only really be generated by the addition of a sub.

Whack a nice 10" sub in the Tig with the Dynaudio's and you would have a very very nice sound! Certainly beat any Bose system that I've heard in some cars.

Pullstarter
11-05-2009, 07:06 PM
Bose? meh!! Nakamichi for the win!! :) Some damn expensive sheet tho :frown:

brh1978
11-05-2009, 07:51 PM
Thanks brh1978.

I will need to really listen to both radios to see whether I can pick up the difference. Was your MDI installed in the glove compartment?

Oh I'm sure you'll hear the difference once you turn her up a bit, sounds sweeeet...My MDI is unfortunately fitted in the glove box which is the standard dealer fit method (confirmed also by other owners all over the world)...Definitely go factory fitted MDI if you can!

tiguan_hunting
11-05-2009, 08:40 PM
is there any difference between dealer fitted and factory fitted MDI apart from the location of it?
does anyone know if the car comes with the factory fitted MDI do you lose the AUX input in the centre console i.e. replaced by the MDI?

brh1978
12-05-2009, 10:24 AM
is there any difference between dealer fitted and factory fitted MDI apart from the location of it?
does anyone know if the car comes with the factory fitted MDI do you lose the AUX input in the centre console i.e. replaced by the MDI?

From what I've heard from EU/US Tig owners, factory fitted you'll get a different centre console. When you open the arm rest there will be a proper ipod caddy with the MDI connection port, it looks very tidy, OEM and is cheaper (you basically get the CD changer console with the MDI caddy in place of the CD changer). IMO the glovebox MDI retrofit looks nasty but I'm stuck with it. I'd say you'll lose the 3.5mm AUX-IN, I can't use mine anymore. The connection is still in my console but is disconnected from the head unit. On the RCD510 I used to have a touch screen option for AUX, this has now gone and has been replaced with MEDIA IN (now I have CD, SD, MEDIA-IN).

My dealer gave me the follow cables: MDI to USB, MDI to Mini USB, MDI to 3.5, MDI to iPod, which allows me to connect pretty much anything to the RCD510.

tiguan_hunting
12-05-2009, 09:27 PM
Thanks BRH for your info.
I think I'm just going to upgrade to the RCD510 and not bother with the MDI. I read somewhere that the SD card slot can take up to a 12GB card FAT or FAT32 format which is more than enough for me. That's about 3000 songs all up not counting the 6 CDs that you can also load up with more MP3s.

Also does anyone know how much tint does the panaromic sunroof come with? I asked the Tint Professor re tinting the sunroof and they refuse to do it. Their reason was that the sunroof is made of toughened glass and having tint on it can result in cracks in the glass. Anyone heard of this before??

Given that the sunroof only comes with a shade blind and no total blockout I was wanting to get the darkest tint possible.

DJY
20-05-2009, 05:45 PM
Thanks BRH for your info.
I think I'm just going to upgrade to the RCD510 and not bother with the MDI. I read somewhere that the SD card slot can take up to a 12GB card FAT or FAT32 format which is more than enough for me. That's about 3000 songs all up not counting the 6 CDs that you can also load up with more MP3s.

Also does anyone know how much tint does the panaromic sunroof come with? I asked the Tint Professor re tinting the sunroof and they refuse to do it. Their reason was that the sunroof is made of toughened glass and having tint on it can result in cracks in the glass. Anyone heard of this before??

Given that the sunroof only comes with a shade blind and no total blockout I was wanting to get the darkest tint possible.

I drove what is now going to be my Tiguan today. Not sure the percentage of tint in the sunroof - but it looked very similar to the rear side windows (147TSI factory tint).
Was a cloudy day today, so hard to tell how much brightness comes through. It does have full UV protection though, and looked great! I doubt I will use the blind over it much!

As for the SD Card limits - documentation in my Tiguan states only up to 2GB.

I'm not going to MDI initially - between connecting my iPod via the AUX connection, and maybe SD card - that will do me nicely I think at this stage.

bxpressiv
21-05-2009, 06:49 AM
Speaking of options, has anyone got the bi xenon headlights installed and if so is it really worth the $2K?

NZTiguan
21-05-2009, 10:38 AM
Speaking of options, has anyone got the bi xenon headlights installed and if so is it really worth the $2K?

There's a number of posts about them on http://www.mytiguan.com/ and other overseas sites. All the people that have them really LOVE them but I suspect for the average driver they'd be hard to justify unless you were doing a LOT of open road night driving. That said I'd LOVE to have some !!!!

DJY
23-05-2009, 05:19 PM
I took some photos of my nice new shiny Black 147TSI today and uploaded them to flickr.

There are some photos of the sunroof (interior).
Weather wasn't great today - but you can certainly get an idea how HUGE the sunroof is!!!!
Go check them all out - and welcome any comments / or requests for more photos or particular close ups.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31983431@N00/sets/72157618659099586/

hippyhippy
10-05-2011, 10:15 PM
So im still in the market for a Tig, but so far only looking at used examples.

I was wondering if you were able to get genuine additional accessories and install yourself easily, ie off road pack, parking sensor, comfort pack? i know i would want to get a rns510 unit and plenty have installed these themselves, but I would like to also install parking sensor and reverse camera and also maybe the comfort pack.

I noticed that someone else also installed their own reverse camera (maybe a tourag camera, not sure if its actually the same but seems to fit) and that looked a bit of work running the wires around the car. I would imagine everything else should be plug and play and that there should be existing wiring there for most other things.

Has anyone installed these things by themselves.

team_v
11-05-2011, 06:26 AM
You can retrofit The RNS510 (easy plug and play) and apparently parking sensors/reverse cam (if you are handy with electrics) and auto park feature.
Not sure about comfort pack as the sensor is in the back of the rear view mirror.
Offroad tech can't be retrofitted.

Sharkie
11-05-2011, 06:52 AM
Comfort Pack and Offroad can not be retrofitted.

Parking sensors, RNS510, RVC, Bluetooth, foglights, towbar and other wheels can be retrofitted. Possibly even leather seats, though I'm unsure of the electrics involved as I suspect the non leather TIGS don't have all needed under the front seats.

What Tig are you looking for? TSI or TDI? Manual, Auto or DSG?

EDIT: On the offroad pack ..... TPC (Tire pressure control) can be retrofitted, the compass appears in the MFD when you retrofit a RNS510 and code the MFD for it, but the ESC changes cannot be done later.

hippyhippy
11-05-2011, 02:19 PM
thanks for replies.. i'm on the lookout for a tdi auto, the older ones are non dsg i guess. how come the offroad pack cannot be retrofitted? isnt that just a 200 option? ie they just put a button in?

team_v
11-05-2011, 02:26 PM
thanks for replies.. i'm on the lookout for a tdi auto, the older ones are non dsg i guess. how come the offroad pack cannot be retrofitted? isnt that just a 200 option? ie they just put a button in?

See here: http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/f97/off-road-tech-when-off-road-40571.html

Changes the gearing ratios, 50/50 split AWD, braking control, hill decent etc. etc.
Lots of electronics and ecu programming that is required.

hippyhippy
11-05-2011, 04:23 PM
my thinking is that since its only a 300 dollar option, then im sure its just a button they install and maybe a wiring harness. However if someone could comfirm that its definitely more than just a button that would be great. Its like if u want to install foglights, you just need the actual foglight unit and maybe the switch for it because all the wiring is already in place.

team_v
11-05-2011, 07:36 PM
my thinking is that since its only a 300 dollar option, then im sure its just a button they install and maybe a wiring harness. However if someone could comfirm that its definitely more than just a button that would be great. Its like if u want to install foglights, you just need the actual foglight unit and maybe the switch for it because all the wiring is already in place.

It isn't just a wiring harness and button.
The Bi Xenon's are just a wiring harness extra and it costs 2k.
The cost is not part of the complexity.

See the link i provided earlier

http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/f97/off-road-tech-when-off-road-40571.html

off-road brings a number of things into play.

It modifies the throttle response so you're less likely to spin a wheel.
It modifies the ABS to allow some locking up in gravel (in soft going it does pay to have the ESP OFF as well).
It modifies the electronic diff lock (yes I know it's not a REAL diff lock) and locks you into 50/50 torque split.
It brings in the hill decent control and the hill takeoff controls (ensures you don't run back) over a preset angle.

There's other bits and pieces as well but it is a major difference BUT as I say you're limited by your tyres AND it cuts out at 20± kph so it's designed for slow slippery work not hotdogging in the gravel.

NZTiguan
12-05-2011, 06:28 AM
Its like if u want to install foglights, you just need the actual foglight unit and maybe the switch for it because all the wiring is already in place.

All the retrofit fogs I've seen done on the various forums around the world have had to wire everything themselves, the wiring is not in place. It certainly wasn't on mine BUT mine is a 2008 so that could have changed.

Cheers

hippyhippy
05-06-2011, 02:59 AM
at it turns out .. the tig i got has most options except for xenons (which would have been real nice) and mdi and ipod cable.

If i get the MDI cable and want to retrofit it, do i need to change something in the VCDS to get it to work after installing it?

Umai Naa!!
05-06-2011, 10:31 AM
MDI is a unit + Ipod-specific cable.

You'll need to code Media Player 2E into Diagnostic Databus 19.

hippyhippy
05-06-2011, 11:07 PM
thanks, has anyone retrofitted the mdi unit to their tig in the centre console area or anywhere else besides the glovebox?

i think the glovebox is a rather stupid place to put it.

Transporter
06-06-2011, 08:19 AM
Well, maybe not? Some people have a spare ipod and leave it in there. :)

hippyhippy
06-06-2011, 08:29 AM
well if u have an stand alone ipod .. glovebox is a pretty good place for it, but if u have an iphone and u have to always take it out, its not the best.

Transporter
06-06-2011, 08:36 AM
Yes, that's truth. Alternatively you can stream the music via BT.

Caracatus
09-11-2016, 09:13 PM
well if u have an stand alone ipod .. glovebox is a pretty good place for it, but if u have an iphone and u have to always take it out, its not the best.

:facepalm:

OMG ,I know this thread is old, but I just read your comment re the "spare" iPod, and flock me, I got one of those, so it goes in tomorrow!

Thank you!

RSanti
01-06-2017, 08:41 PM
Hi there, im buying a 2010 Tig TDi 6sp Auto anytime from now and I just want to ask
what option pack does it have if it has the following:
- SatNav
- Fog lights
- Leather seats
- Reverse camera/ sensors
- DynaAudio badge on the speakers
- Park-assist
- 6.5" stereo head unit

I just want to get more familiar with it
thanks in advance ;)

Caracatus
02-06-2017, 10:22 AM
Hi there, im buying a 2010 Tig TDi 6sp Auto anytime from now and I just want to ask
what option pack does it have if it has the following:
- SatNav
- Fog lights
- Leather seats
- Reverse camera/ sensors
- DynaAudio badge on the speakers
- Park-assist
- 6.5" stereo head unit

I just want to get more familiar with it
thanks in advance ;)

According to redbook.com.au, you probably have
Dynaudio Premium Sound System+GPS (10 speakers, Premium Sound System ) $4800
Leather with Electric Drivers Seat $4000 package
Fog lights $400
Camera - Rear Vision $700
Park Assist $1400

One or two of these packages may have been combined, but it sounds like you got a nice specced-out (ex)-demo model.

I've provided the redbook link below:

http://www.redbook.com.au/cars/research/used/details/2010-volkswagen-tiguan-103tdi-5n-auto-4motion-my10/SPOT-ITM-284881

It might not be quite the MY variant you have, but it should be close.

Nice one!

arcadelt
03-06-2017, 11:01 AM
Send me your e-mail by PM and I will send you a PDF of the Australian brochure dated September 2010. That will let you work it out exactly.

RSanti
05-06-2017, 12:48 PM
Hi. Thanks in advance.

arcadelt
05-06-2017, 12:59 PM
Hi. Thanks in advance.

@RSanti, I've got the address, so I suggest you now edit your your post to remove the e-mail address so that is not harvested for spam purposes. I'll send the brochure in a few minutes.