PDA

View Full Version : Puzzles with new TDI

deepspace
06-05-2009, 01:05 PM
Hi:

I just bought a new TDI and did not regret a cent in the 55k I threw in. It is absolutely a wonderful car. A beautiful beast with all the features I wanted (yes a long option list). Will also post some pics once get a chance.

There are certainly lots of things for me to pick up for me since this is my first brand new car and an upgrade from 1993 camry :biggrin:(I believe someone in the forum have similar story as mine). Now, after one week's drive, I have some puzzles around this new car and wonder anyone could help me explain them:

Here comes the list:
1. There is always a feeling that something is slowing down the car. I will even need to accelerate to maintain the speed when driving downhill. And the gear is eager to shift down once it slows down. Feels like driving with hand brake on. I know tiguan has downhill assistance but it shall only be activated at speed lower than 20km not highway speed.:duh:

2. Front passenger seat airbag control is missing nor the indicator next to the hazard light button in the middle of console.

3. Is the turbo lag a common thing for TDI?

I don't know whether these experiences are due to a converter from petrol engine to diesel engine or running period. Sometimes I just feel like the drive in old camry is smoother than Tiguan:confused:

Mine is a TDI with 18' wheel, park assist, leather, sunroof, dynaudio, off-road.

Transporter
06-05-2009, 07:46 PM
Diesel engine has higher compression, so when you take the foot of the accelerator it will slow down more than petrol engine. Yes the TDI has a bit of turbo lug you will get use to it after while. I found out that diesel engine allows you better maintain legal speed limit just take the foot of accelerator and it slows down nicely without using the brakes too much.

deepspace
06-05-2009, 10:28 PM
Diesel engine has higher compression, so when you take the foot of the accelerator it will slow down more than petrol engine. Yes the TDI has a bit of turbo lug you will get use to it after while. I found out that diesel engine allows you better maintain legal speed limit just take the foot of accelerator and it slows down nicely without using the brakes too much.
ahh, that explains why... thanks Transporter:biggrin: It feels like MINI's electric car, charges when you take the foot of the accelerator and it will act like brakes on.

NZTiguan
07-05-2009, 06:50 AM
Transporter has pretty well covered it I think, also remember that the gearbox is very quick to change down to "hold" downhill even at relatively high speeds. You'll also find it changing down more around town etc, IMHO the best auto box I've ever driven with as most of the others slip into neutral in those situations leaving you with no power if you need it.

Incidentally in "D" it's set up specifically for economy and will hold the most economic revs even though you may "think" it's revving too high downhill etc. Too long to discuss in detail but it is VERY clever.

Not sure on the airbag issue, in NZ we get a switch in the glove box to allow us to switch the passenger side off (if you fit a child seat or have a small person in the front seat) and that has a corresponding "airbag OFF" warning light on the dash. It would appear from what I've read here that at least some of the Ausi ones don't have this at all, but I'm not certain of that.

Glad you like the Tig though, I recon it's the duck's nuts !!!!!

deepspace
07-05-2009, 09:58 AM
NZTIGUAN, thanks for extending the explanation further.

And yes, it seems that the front passenger seet airbag control has missed out in AU version. I went through several tiguan interior pics on carsales.com.au and could not find a trace of it. ayw, I will not need this feature yet.

And the more I drive my beloved Tiguan, the more I enjoy it. My wife has already asked me to live in the car coz I try to find all kind of excuses to drive the car, sometimes even just go down the garage to sit in there for a while. :driver: :biggrin:

Sanman
07-05-2009, 01:17 PM

the front passenger seet airbag control has missed out in AU version.

Aust ADRs do not allow Passenger airbag disable option, which is available in US market. Might be legal with a passenger seat weight sensor

Paragon
07-05-2009, 01:30 PM

And yes, it seems that the front passenger seet airbag control has missed out in AU version. I went through several tiguan interior pics on carsales.com.au and could not find a trace of it. ayw, I will not need this feature yet.

And the more I drive my beloved Tiguan, the more I enjoy it. My wife has already asked me to live in the car coz I try to find all kind of excuses to drive the car, sometimes even just go down the garage to sit in there for a while. :driver: :biggrin:

lol i hope the car brings me as much joy as it has brought you!

brh1978
07-05-2009, 04:54 PM
Aust ADRs do not allow Passenger airbag disable option, which is available in US market. Might be legal with a passenger seat weight sensor

Funny as there is some sort of sensor in the front passenger seat as my seat belt chime and light goes nuts if there is something heavy (passenger or the likes) on passenger the seat an the belt is unbuckled! Take off the item/lift your butt off the seat and it stops chiming!

Don't really like the look of the silly black blanking plate in place of the disable airbag warning...oh well!

NZTiguan
07-05-2009, 09:35 PM
The American system is automatic I think, so if there's nobody in the passenger seat or whoever is in it is under a certain weight the airbag on that side is automatically disabled. The NZ system (and I think Europe as well) is that the bag is only disabled if you do it yourself by turning a key-lock inside the glove box.

Cheers