PDA

View Full Version : Tiguan top in rollover test (by far!)

PassatB6
05-05-2009, 10:15 PM
Amazing result for Tiguan rollover test!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tc1ZDdgMVo4

Pullstarter
05-05-2009, 10:19 PM
That makes me feel good about Tiguan ownership :) How bad was that Sportage? EEEKKKKK!!!!

Spook
05-05-2009, 10:32 PM
Good find on that video. I remember reading an article about the "rollover" test a couple of weeks back but a picture tells a thousand words.

Transporter
06-05-2009, 08:37 AM
Very good find.
VW use laser welding in manufacturing process from 2002. Now days most likely all VW cars would perform very well in similar tests.
I put it on my list of decision making between Tig and Forester ... "for - against".

Spook
06-05-2009, 01:52 PM
Here is a link to the article I read: http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/ArticleDetail.aspx?ArticleId=61758

The ratings are:

Good
VW Tiguan
Subaru Forester
Jeep Patriot

Average
Suzuki Grand Vitara
Toyota RAV4
Nissan Rogue (Murano)
Mitsubishi Outlander

Marginal
Honda CRV
Ford Escape
Mazda Tribute

Poor
Kia Sportage
Hyundai Tucson

Official press release from the IIHS:
http://www.iihs.org/news/rss/pr032409.html

Spook
06-05-2009, 01:54 PM
I put it on my list of decision making between Tig and Forester ... "for - against".

Forester also scored the highest rating. :)

PassatB6
06-05-2009, 11:10 PM
Forester also scored the highest rating. :)

The Tig got top score though!

Transporter
06-05-2009, 11:44 PM
You have to also remember that Tig weights 180kg more than Forester and quickly saying and not going onto too many technical details in that test; the test was actually carried out with the vehicle standing on it’s wheels opposite to in the real roll over situation it would be the Tig's 180 more kg crashing it's roof.
How ever I believe that the Tig would still perform better due to more pressure applied in that test that means it's roof is much stronger (I think it was 900 more than on Forester). There would be probably even less difference between the two. But in accident every mm could be difference between life and death or have a headache or brain injury.

deepspace
07-05-2009, 10:48 AM
There is one thing the test did not mention - the Tiguan with Sunroof. Wonder how tig can survive the roll over with that giant window instead of steel...:duh:

PassatB6
08-05-2009, 10:11 PM
You have to also remember that Tig weights 180kg more than Forester and quickly saying and not going onto too many technical details in that test; the test was actually carried out with the vehicle standing on it’s wheels opposite to in the real roll over situation it would be the Tig's 180 more kg crashing it's roof.
How ever I believe that the Tig would still perform better due to more pressure applied in that test that means it's roof is much stronger (I think it was 900 more than on Forester). There would be probably even less difference between the two. But in accident every mm could be difference between life and death or have a headache or brain injury.

I'm pretty sure the measurement is based on the vehicles weight so the Tig would have to take more weight to get the same score as the Forester because the Tig is heavier. This is due to the fact that in any rollover the roof of a vehicle has to withstand the vehicles own weight.The fact that it scored higher than the Forester and it is also heavier means that it is far stronger than it. Forester still did well though!

Arctra
09-05-2009, 06:03 AM
There is one thing the test did not mention - the Tiguan with Sunroof. Wonder how tig can survive the roll over with that giant window instead of steel...:duh:

Agrred, it is a pity. This is something I'm very interested in as I'd love to get the sunroof, but not at the expense of safety. I read somewhere that, surprisingly, the huge sunroof hadn't affected body rigidity much, which is exciting. Perhaps the design of the roof frame is strong, thus making the sunroof vs normal roof a non-argument?