PDA

View Full Version : Squeaky!

Robert.King
03-05-2009, 01:41 PM
I have an '07 build TDI manual, approx 13000km, it has a bad sqeak in the rear section, only apparent on rough roads and only when the roof is up, it is very annoying. On smooth roads there is no squeak, but I live in country NSW wher roads are anything but smooth. You could describe the sound as a similar pitch to that of a canary whistling.

When the roof is folded there is no problem, dealer has krytoxed all roof rubbers, this didn't fix it. Has anyone else had this problem, it is getting worse, if you have found a cure for this or have this problem please post it here. The car is going back to the dealer later in May.

silvershadow
03-05-2009, 03:30 PM
I have an '07 build TDI manual, approx 13000km, it has a bad sqeak in the rear section, only apparent on rough roads and only when the roof is up, it is very annoying. On smooth roads there is no squeak, but I live in country NSW wher roads are anything but smooth. You could describe the sound as a similar pitch to that of a canary whistling.

When the roof is folded there is no problem, dealer has krytoxed all roof rubbers, this didn't fix it. Has anyone else had this problem, it is getting worse, if you have found a cure for this or have this problem please post it here. The car is going back to the dealer later in May.

Did the dealer do the door and boot seals as well - these are often a source of "untraceable" squeaks. The procedure for applying Krytox is explained in detail in the following thread from the VW Vortex Forum which is set up in ready-to-print format:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothrea...int&id=3087297 (http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?cmd=print&id=3087297)

As a last resort if you have leather upholstery, when was the last time it was treated with leather conditioner especially the gaps between the seat squabs and the cabin trim attached to the body. This is another unusual source of squeaks. I use "Oakwood" leather conditioner which should be well-known to anyone connected with rural properties, horses, classic cars and motorbikes.

Another source of squeaks can be the interaction of the window glass and the adjacent rubber seals - do not use Krytox on these seals as it will contaminate the glass and takes some time to wash off afterwards.

briseos
07-05-2009, 12:31 PM
I had similar squeek intermittently from left and right - coming from near elbow joint near rear window top corner - complained to dealer & they 'tightened a few things up' and have never heard it again! Now have roof alligment issues to be sorted - 'need the car for 3-4 days' - damaged the cloth cover on the horizontal adj to sunroof rubbing on inner edge when roof going down...

43000kms and no other issues.....