PDA

View Full Version : Mk1 Golf GTI - original

MichaelB
02-05-2009, 08:49 AM
Up for sale is my 1983 Golf GTI. This is an original GTI (not a standard Mk1 that's been tricked up) that was brought over as a private import, and so has:

GTI grill and badging,
large GTI tail lights,
GTI dashboard - no cracks, trip computer (outside temp, fuel consumption, time driving, average speed, etc),
black headlining, original steel sunroof
GTI steering wheel,
original alloy wheels, wheel arch covers, A pillar covers, etc.

Drives great, engine and running gear all in good condition, with no mods! The only thing I've changed is to remove an Australian installed air-con, so as to keep the weight down (and because it was pretty ugly). I haven't reinstalled the bottom of the dash where the vents were, but have all the bits.

ACT rego to 24 Jan 2010.

Some issues include:
Small amounts of rust - A pillars, bottom of rear side windows, roof rain gutters.
Small dents - front left quarter panel near bumper bar (and bumper scratched), rear right panel around filler cap (someone leaned on it), tail gate near window. Rear panel below bumper separated - someone before me bodgied it together with sealant. All can be seen in the photos - they're not huge.
Passenger side window mechanism broken.
Patch missing on driver’s seat side bolster (original seats) where rubbed away.

Happy to send or post extra pics of these bits.

Great little car. This is my third Mk1, and I’m selling as I thought I’d have the time to get it ready for some classic rally days. Turns out I don’t. Hopefully you will!

The price: there's a restored 1980 one up for sale on carpoint for $12,000, but with a few non-original bits (no original wheels, no original steering wheel, etc). It's hard to judge, but with mine being untouched, I'd be looking for somewhere around half that.

WABIT
02-05-2009, 09:37 AM
PM sent!

thankyou
dom

h100vw
02-05-2009, 09:41 AM
Factory fader for the speakers, nice!! Shame about the repeaters in the wings, was that to get it registered??

Good luck with the sale

Gavin

MichaelB
02-05-2009, 11:17 AM
Factory fader for the speakers, nice!! Shame about the repeaters in the wings, was that to get it registered??

Good luck with the sale

Gavin

Yeah, the repeaters were there were there when I got it (I didn't import it myself), and I've always assumed the only reason you'd put them on is if you were forced to.

Golf Loon
03-05-2009, 08:56 AM
The price: there's a restored 1980 one up for sale on carpoint for $12,000, but with a few non-original bits (no original wheels, no original steering wheel, etc). It's hard to judge, but with mine being untouched, I'd be looking for somewhere around half that.

Thats my car, the details are here http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/newforum/upload/showthread.php?t=26800

The steering wheel in original and is the super rare wolfsberg one, whilst yours is the common Mk2 4 button type.

Standard wheels look poo, but are easy to put bck to original.

It would be a bit harder to do away with those side repeaters in your guards.

Good luck with the sale, all GTIs are worth money. Is yours a 1.6 or 1.8?

MichaelB
03-05-2009, 01:24 PM
Your's is pretty sweet, which is why I don't reckon mine will come close in price. I didn't know about the Wolfsburg wheel - interesting, and I'm always happy to learn! - all I knew is that mine is different to the standard Mk1's I've had in the past.

I kinda like the look of the original wheels: a matter of personal taste I guess!

Good luck with your sale!
MB

Lima
04-05-2009, 01:06 PM
Hey Michael, I met you at Autofest a while back. I'm in Tasmania at the moment but would be keen to check out your car if it is still available. I'll be in touch in the next day or two.

Cheers Liam

Lima
05-05-2009, 03:30 PM
Michael, I have replied to your PM, let me know if you don't get it. :)

geralis32
28-05-2009, 02:44 PM
Hey man i PM u let me no

MichaelB
31-05-2009, 09:18 PM
Apologies to those who PMed me during the last couple of days - I was out of the country, but am back now and will reply soon.
Cheers
M.

MichaelB
16-06-2009, 07:59 AM
The car has been sold, and a deposit has been made. I'll remove this thread once the sale has been finalised.

Thanks to all for your interest!

16v_kid
16-06-2009, 09:56 PM
how much did you sell it for????

cheers

mikinoz
16-06-2009, 10:21 PM
how much did you sell it for????

cheers

I don't think that is something that requires public discussion thanks.