PDA

View Full Version : Built in which country?

Flipper Dog
30-04-2009, 08:02 PM
Can some one confirm where the Australian delivered Golf VI is built? Is it now in Wolfsburg, Germany or still comming out of Sth Afrika?

Thanks

Coaster
30-04-2009, 08:08 PM
Wolfsburg! :)

phaeton
01-05-2009, 06:41 AM
What Coaster said the Fatherland :D

Flipper Dog
01-05-2009, 09:04 AM
Thanks,
now with also checking the VIN coding i'll go back to that "salesman" and see if he might rethink what he knows.

One think that really P's me off is salesmen who don't know the product they are selling.

Allegiance
21-02-2010, 01:27 PM
Hi Guys,

I am just wondering where are the Golf's actually built? I have read some are built in South Africa and some in Germany? Or is it all in Germany now?

Thanks

noowve
21-02-2010, 01:40 PM
The GTI MK6 is built at Worsburg plant in Germany so is the rest of the other Golf variant.

Tim
21-02-2010, 01:46 PM
the 11th character of your VIN number tells you where the car was Built. W for Wolfsburg is the one to look for.

There is a VIN decoder here if you wanna see other options
http://www.dubnetworks.net/vw-vin-decoder.htm

thewafflecaust
21-02-2010, 01:54 PM
the 11th character of your VIN number tells you where the car was Built. W for Wolfsburg is the one to look for.

There is a VIN decoder here if you wanna see other options
http://www.dubnetworks.net/vw-vin-decoder.htm

How accurate is that decoder?

It says my Mk6 09 is a Mk5 built in 1980 :eek:

Umai Naa!!
21-02-2010, 01:54 PM
The Jettas we get are now built in South Africa, as opposed to Mexico, and the new Golf 6 wagons are built in Mexico.

Tim
21-02-2010, 01:56 PM

VW have probably changed the model year designations because they got to 10. previously it was the 10th character. Maybe they have started from the start again? The rest of it should be accurate.

Umai Naa!!
21-02-2010, 01:56 PM

Correct. The decoder hasn't accounted for the fact that the year model indicator in the VIN has done full circle. We're now using the letter 'A' to indicate a 2010 model.

Mk6 GTI
22-02-2010, 11:21 AM
Hi Guys,

Does the 10th Character indicate build year? or does it just indicate MY10?

Mines says A.. so does that mean 2010 build? or just MY10?

Because that decoder say 1980 LoL

Cheers!

Tim
22-02-2010, 11:44 AM
as mentioned above. when VW got to 9 they started over again from A which has already been used for the year 1980 id say most simple VIN decoders will have the same issue

Mk6 GTI
22-02-2010, 11:49 AM
as mentioned above. when VW got to 9 they started over again from A which has already been used for the year 1980

Yep, I understand that. But my question is, does this character indicate MY10 (Version) or Build Year?

As we know MY10 could also mean a Build year of 2009 or 2010. I am trying to determine if i have a 2009 build or 2010 build car..??

Cheers!

Tim
22-02-2010, 11:52 AM
Yep, I understand that. But my question is, does this character indicate MY10 (Version) or Build Year?

As we know MY10 could also mean a Build year of 2009 or 2010. I am trying to determine if i have a 2009 build or 2010 build car..??

Cheers!

oohhhh sorry doing 16 things at once :P
that indicates model year. Build month/year is usually stamped on a plate in your engine bay.

Corey_R
22-02-2010, 12:39 PM
It's funny that this thread should come up now, cause on the weekend a mate and I were out looking for cars for him. He noticed an Audi A3 demonstrator on sale and went up and looked at the price and was quite shocked out how much more expensive it was than the Golf. He asked the Audi sales guy what are the differences which attributes to the higher price and the sales man couldn't come up with any features or options on the A3 which weren't on the Golf....

So he then said, well, the A3 is made in Germany whereas the Golf is made in South Africa. To which I corrected him to say that the MK6 hatch is actually made in Wolfsburg. He wouldn't believe me though, he kept saying "well how can they make them that cheap if they're made in Germany, it's just not possible". hehe, silly Audi :)

Golf_TSI
22-02-2010, 12:49 PM
Same as result from waffecaust

My MK6 according to the VIN decoder is MK5

Is this decoder correct or do I get the wrong car :)

Allegiance
22-02-2010, 05:22 PM
Same as result from waffecaust

My MK6 according to the VIN decoder is MK5

Is this decoder correct or do I get the wrong car :)

I'm pretty sure you could visually tell the difference. :brutal:

MariusGT
22-02-2010, 05:30 PM
I'm pretty sure you could visually tell the difference. :brutal:

Oh dear.....

That is up there with some of the funniest stuff I have read on here...

Made me snort like a pig before laughing out loud.

NICE! :banana:

Tim
22-02-2010, 05:38 PM
thats interesting. Is a mk6 VIN something along the lines of WVWZZZ1KZAW###### ?

Because 1K is a mk5 platform car. So technically a mk6 is actually a variant of mk5 if you look at it that way.

All the other generations had their own platforms. 17 was a mk1, 19 was a mk2, 1H was mk3, 1J was mk4, 1K is mk5

Golf_TSI
22-02-2010, 05:47 PM
@Tim,
That makes sense ...

@Allegiance & MariusGT
ha ha ha fair 'nough but forgive my ignorance here as i haven't received the car yet and hasn't got any vw before :bowdown:

graeme86
22-02-2010, 05:49 PM
Thats right, the Mark VI according to VW's internals systems, is just Mark V mutton dressed up as Mark VI lamb.

All the part numbers etc still have 1K (= Mk V) on them.

Umai Naa!!
22-02-2010, 07:49 PM
Spot-on.

It's still technically a 1K platform per se, but is distinguished by a 5K model code.

Remember, the MK6 is only a facelifted MK5.

dopey
23-02-2010, 05:08 PM
Golf - Wolfsberg
Golf Wagon - Mexico
Jetta - South Africa
Passat - Emden
Eos - Portugal
Caddy - Poland
Transporter - Hannover
Touareg - Slovakia
Tiguan - Wolfsberg
Crafter - Dusseldorf

Any idea where they intend to manufacture the upcoming Jetta model? Or no mention of this yet?

tee_off
01-03-2010, 08:43 PM
I know it's not the best of sources, but whats with the "Changchun, China" listing in addition to Wolfsburg on wikipedia?

Corey_R
01-03-2010, 09:22 PM
When a European manufacturer has a plant in China, it's usually to produce cars just for the local Chinese market.

I have no idea if that is the case for VW - but I've noted that it is the case for BMW and Mercedes in the past.

tee_off
01-03-2010, 09:33 PM
When a European manufacturer has a plant in China, it's usually to produce cars just for the local Chinese market.

I have no idea if that is the case for VW - but I've noted that it is the case for BMW and Mercedes in the past.

Makes sense...VW's biggest market is China and were first foreign maker to have a plant there

niulf
01-03-2010, 11:20 PM
I know it's not the best of sources, but whats with the "Changchun, China" listing in addition to Wolfsburg on wikipedia?

There are two VWs in China, one is in Changchun, AKA FAW-Volkswagen, another one is in Shanghai, AKA Shanghai Volkswagen. Golf (including GTI MK6), Jetta, New Bora, Sagitar, Magotan and AUDIs are built in Changchun. Shanghai takes care of Passat, Polo, Tiguan and SKODAs. Both of their vehicles are only sold in Chinese market. I'm not sure if they provide parts for other countries.

tee_off
01-03-2010, 11:27 PM
There are two VWs in China, one is in Changchun, AKA FAW-Volkswagen, another one is in Shanghai, AKA Shanghai Volkswagen. Golf (including GTI MK6), Jetta, New Bora, Sagitar, Magotan and AUDIs are built in Changchun. Shanghai takes care of Passat, Polo, Tiguan and SKODAs. Both of their vehicles are only sold in Chinese market. I'm not sure if they provide parts for other countries.

That's interesting...and pretty confusing...Thanks

Corey_R
02-03-2010, 07:45 AM
What's confusing about that? There are two plants and they each produce certain cars?! hehe

Tim
02-03-2010, 08:40 AM

We did receive the previous generation Polo Sedan from china. Was a bit of a failure here though. VW only managed to sell a handful.

I think if we were to receive more models from China it would affect sales as there is definately a stigma attached. VW are best sourcing components from Asia and incorporating them into German built cars if they want to save money. At least that way we are all blissfully unaware of whats going on. Im sure it already happens to some extent. Holden do exactly the same thing.

Corey_R
02-03-2010, 09:04 AM
Heh - yeah - they must be rare because I have never seen a Polo sedan on our roads!

noowve
05-03-2010, 10:29 PM
Can anyone here confirm that the new MK6 GTI is built in Germany at their Worsburg manufacturing plan and NOT in South Africa or any South American or China Manufacturing Plant. Just thought i pose the question

Also how can you tell whether the new GTI MK6 is infact built in Germany at their Worsburg manufacturing plant

Spook
05-03-2010, 11:18 PM
Germany

http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/newforum/upload/showthread.php?t=41385

See the second post in that thread :rolleyes:

wdong
06-03-2010, 12:06 AM
last week i rang vw aus for my car's information, they told me that the car will be made in Germany

niulf
06-03-2010, 12:17 AM
My dealer printed the order details for me. It shows the factory is 11 Wolfsburg.

09-03-2010, 07:37 AM
Can anyone here confirm that the new MK6 GTI is built in Germany at their Worsburg manufacturing plan and NOT in South Africa or any South American or China Manufacturing Plant. Just thought i pose the question

Also how can you tell whether the new GTI MK6 is infact built in Germany at their Worsburg manufacturing plantYES! via the vin number eg WVWZZZ1KZAW000000 the W represents the wolfsburg plant all VW VIN numbers have this if it was built in South Africa it would be a U for Uitenhage instead of a W beetles and jetta's have a M for Mexico etc etc it is always the 11th digit in every VW VIN

DionM
17-10-2010, 11:13 PM
Are the MK6s made in Germany?

If so ... anyone know if VW is planning to move production to somewhere else (South Africa?) eventually?

BBP
18-10-2010, 06:55 AM
Yes and No

Serge
18-10-2010, 08:37 AM
Tiguan, Passat, Golf 6- Germany
New Polo 3 Door- Spain
New Polo 5 Door- South Africa
Touareg- Slovakia
Eos- Portugal
Golf Wagon, Beetle, Jetta- Mexico

phaeton
18-10-2010, 12:15 PM
MY10 & MY11
Polo (3dr & GTI) - Pamplona, Spain
Polo (5dr) - Uitenhage, South Africa
Golf (R, GTD, GTI, adidas & BlueMotion) - Wolfsburg/Mosel, Germany
Golf Wagon - Puebla, Mexico
Jetta (Mk5) - Uitenhage, South Africa
New Beetle & Cabrio - Puebla Mexico
Passat, CC & R36 - Emden/Mosel, Germany
Eos - Setubal, Portugal
Tiguan - Wolfsburg, Germany
Touareg - Bratislavia, Slovakia
Caddy & Caddy Maxi - Poznan, Poland
Transporter Caravelle & Multivan - Hanover Germany
Transporter Chassis Cab - Poznan, Poland
Crafter - Dusseldorf/Ludwigsfelde, Germany
Amarok - Paecheco, Argentina

Guest1306
18-10-2010, 01:03 PM
MY10 & MY11
Polo (3dr & GTI) - Pamplona Spain
Polo (5dr) - Uitenhage South Africa
Golf (R, GTD, GTI, adidas & BlueMotion) - Wolfsburg Germany
Golf Wagon - Puebla Mexico
Jetta (Mk5) - Uitenhage South Africa
Passat Wagon, CC & R36 - Emden Germany
Passat Sedan - Mosel Germany
Eos - Setubal Portugal
Tiguan -Wolfsburg Germany
Touareg - Bratislavia Slovakia
Caddy & Caddy Maxi - Poznan Poland
Transporter Chassis Cab - Poznan Poland
Crafter - Germany
Amarok Paecheco Argentina

Some Golfs come from Mosel, Germany. Not all are from Wolfsburg....

Serge
18-10-2010, 02:19 PM
MY10 & MY11
Polo (3dr & GTI) - Pamplona Spain
Polo (5dr) - Uitenhage South Africa
Golf (R, GTD, GTI, adidas & BlueMotion) - Wolfsburg Germany
Golf Wagon - Puebla Mexico
Jetta (Mk5) - Uitenhage South Africa
Passat Wagon, CC & R36 - Emden Germany
Passat Sedan - Mosel Germany
Eos - Setubal Portugal
Tiguan -Wolfsburg Germany
Touareg - Bratislavia Slovakia
Caddy & Caddy Maxi - Poznan Poland
Transporter Chassis Cab - Poznan Poland
Crafter - Germany
Amarok Paecheco Argentina

Some Passat Sedans are build in Mosel, some in Emden,
Crafter- Duesseldorf/Ludwigshaven
New Jetta- Puebla Mexico

phaeton
18-10-2010, 04:46 PM
Some Passat Sedans are build in Mosel, some in Emden,
Crafter- Duesseldorf/Ludwigshaven
New Jetta- Puebla Mexico

Some Golfs come from Mosel, Germany. Not all are from Wolfsburg....

I guess its to do with supply & demand between the two options for Golf and Passat.

hentaiboy
27-06-2011, 02:47 PM
YES! via the vin number eg WVWZZZ1KZAW000000 the W represents the wolfsburg plant all VW VIN numbers have this if it was built in South Africa it would be a U for Uitenhage instead of a W beetles and jetta's have a M for Mexico etc etc it is always the 11th digit in every VW VIN

Looks like most of the MY11 Golfs are being made in 'P' for Mosel (go figure).

Captain Courteous
11-07-2011, 09:31 AM
Yep can confirm.. Just checked my VIN.. I have 'P' (built April 2011)

Although I was expecting Wolfsburg, it doesn’t bother me. Still Germany, ja.

easeup
11-07-2011, 07:29 PM
You inspired me to check Captain.. my baby is your neighbour from Wolfsburg. But i'm not keen on that VIN decoder posted earlier.. it says i have a Mk5 built in 1981. Uhhh... false.