PDA

View Full Version : TMC Traffic Alerts

JasonP
30-04-2009, 07:24 AM
I have an RNS510 on order, & have been following the posts about whether anyone can get the SUNA TMC traffic Alerts working in Aussie VWs.

Here's the latest from VW Australia, as of Tuesday 28/04/09

My Question:

When will VW make the TMC Traffic channel (broadcast in melb/Sydney/Bris) available to be received on the RNS510; it would no doubt be a firmware update that could easily enhance the experience of using a $4000 Sat Nav system....

VW Australias' Answer:

Thank you for your enquiry.

Unfortunately Volkswagen have no plans at this stage to introduce this particular upgrade to the RNS510 Satellite Navigation System.

I would suggest keeping in touch with your local Dealership to ensure you are kept up to date as to a possible release date for this.

Should you require further information or clarification please do not hesitate to contact our Customer care centre Monday to Friday 8:30am-6:00pm on the number below.

Kind Regards

Alisha Giltinan
Volkswagen Customer Service Representative
Telephone: 1800 060 936
www.volkswagen.com.au

Previous enquiries to SUNA have just responded by suggesting we get in touch with VW Australia.........

Guy Hading once referred in another post, to various Audi owners suddenly receiving TMC Traffic Alerts in Australia, & the owners contacting Audi Australia to ask what they were.

If Audi can do it, why can't VW Australia do a deal with SUNA, & offer the service via a firmware upgrade, through the dealer network?

Even if the Owner was charged the once off SUNA subscription (approx $100 I believe), that could be a great resolution.

As it stands, when I get my 118TSI with RNS510, I'll still need to use my $250 Navman GPS if I want to get the TMC Alerts.

Not acceptable!!!!!

CC75
30-04-2009, 08:04 AM
That's pretty average from VW.

Not to rub salt in the wound, but is it true the AVC-9001 aftermarket satnav (for around $850) has this traffic function?

cheers

JasonP
30-04-2009, 08:21 AM
I'm not sure, but I wanted some of the other features that come with the RNS510 anyway. (Intergrates with Park Assist & rear camera; Dynaudio, etc)
The AVC-9001 seems to be a popular substitute for the RNS510 on these forums though.

coastie
02-05-2009, 02:00 PM
Yet on the link below on the VW Australia website they mentioned the 3rd tuner for the specific purpose of TMC alerts. If they advertise this as a selling point why not provide it as a function. Scroll through the RNS510 hyperlinks (sound quality) and the script to the right of the picture mentions this.

http://www.volkswagen.com.au/vwcms/master_public/virtualmaster/en_au/company/Innovative_Technology/RNS510.html

keg75
17-01-2012, 11:00 PM
It's now middle of Jan 2012. I have a golf R with RNS510 and the traffic updates just says "no messages". Is VW going to activate this system so we can utilize the cars features that they advertise in the brochures?

Also what the latest firmware for the RNS510? My install was a dud and I'm missing features and it crashes when you do POI. Apparently my dealers is still waiting for an update. How can I tell what's installed on my unit?

Please advise

Keg75

ralp2dam
18-01-2012, 05:09 AM
It's now middle of Jan 2012. I have a golf R with RNS510 and the traffic updates just says "no messages". Is VW going to activate this system so we can utilize the cars features that they advertise in the brochures?

Also what the latest firmware for the RNS510? My install was a dud and I'm missing features and it crashes when you do POI. Apparently my dealers is still waiting for an update. How can I tell what's installed on my unit?

Please advise

Keg75

I would love to see the traffic update. Does anyone know if it's ever coming?

team_v
18-01-2012, 08:04 AM
It is interesting to note that we don't even have up to date maps (2009) and yet the new Audi A3 demo shown at the Detroit Motorshow has a direct link to google earth satelite view in 3d.

Captain Courteous
18-01-2012, 08:33 AM
Unfortunately Volkswagen have no plans at this stage to introduce this particular upgrade to the RNS510 Satellite Navigation System.

It is disappointing to have a device (a very expensive device) and not have all of its functionality available to use, especially when others around the world with the same thing are able to.. If people are willing to pay, why not provide the service??

Not acceptable!!!!!

+1

Digger11
18-01-2012, 12:04 PM
It is disappointing to have a device (a very expensive device) and not have all of its functionality available to use, especially when others around the world with the same thing are able to.. If people are willing to pay, why not provide the service??

+1

Ummm, the basic radio in the 77tsi has TMC functionality.

We need to either start a class action, march across the harbour bridge, or maybe park on the corner of flinders and swanston and take our tops off.

Gigitt
19-01-2012, 09:42 PM
doesn't the TMC feature have to be broadcast in AUS 1st for our radios to pick up on it???

if the Traffic Broadcast noe in AUS is like a different format then we are schick out of luck!
(a bit like digital tv and digital radio compared to the USA)

kamold
20-01-2012, 08:10 AM
I think the best thing to do might be to write a letter (an actual one on that thin white stuff that you can fold) to the managing director of VW Australia politely requesting TMC support, as well as up to date mapping data. If enough letters from enough VW group owners were to make it across the secretary's desk then maybe some notice might be taken?

Could also send the same letter to the dealer principals to get their attention.

As it stands the RNS510 in Australia remains hobbled compared with Europe and North America.

mythik
20-01-2012, 09:58 AM
Rumor Mill: The next-gen RNS/RCD devices will support DAB+

/2c

kamold
20-01-2012, 12:13 PM
And have 3G connectivity for live traffic and search capabilities.....wishful thinking?

aussietig
21-01-2012, 09:11 PM
I think the best thing to do might be to write a letter (an actual one on that thin white stuff that you can fold) to the managing director of VW Australia politely requesting TMC support, as well as up to date mapping data. If enough letters from enough VW group owners were to make it across the secretary's desk then maybe some notice might be taken?

Could also send the same letter to the dealer principals to get their attention.

As it stands the RNS510 in Australia remains hobbled compared with Europe and North America.

I say fcuk being polite! :mad:

Send a class action letter instead!

99_FGT
22-01-2012, 07:19 AM
Rumor Mill: The next-gen RNS/RCD devices will support DAB+

/2c

The euro versions already support DAB, and unless the DAB+ is just a firmware upgrade it will stay as just that: a rumor.

Edit: seems that some EU countries have started broadcasting DAB+, so there may be hope for this yet. DAB receivers are not compatible with DAB+ broadcasts though.
Al..

Tapatalk, iPhone, 07 Golf GTi

aussiegtidude
14-03-2012, 06:03 PM
Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't the 510 pick up on the TMC broadcasts? It just doesn't display them.

In Adelaide, they use 102.3 and on my little button it has a TP (or TA) symbol next to it. It knows it is there, it just doesn't want to use it!!!

What about people in other states, does anyone know?

kamold
14-03-2012, 07:07 PM
It can detect but can't decrypt them as it needs a license key from intellimatics aka suna

Gigitt
14-03-2012, 07:33 PM
Zombie Mode - Lights on Nobodies Home!

Well it looks like the only Traffic RDS support is by Suna Traffic SUNA (http://www.sunatraffic.com.au/)

and their FAQ states: (SUNATraffic.com.au (http://www.sunatraffic.com.au/faq.html))

I have an in-car navigation system - can I connect to SUNA GPS Traffic Updates?[b/]

SUNA GPS Traffic Updates is currently standard on all factory fitted navigation-equipped Ford Falcon G-Series vehicles.

http://www.ford.com.au/servlet/ContentServer?cid=1178852836471&pagename=Page&c=DFYPage&site=FOA

SUNA GPS Traffic Updates is also available as standard on some Nissan X-Trail vehicles - Ti and TL models fitted with 7" Colour Display Satellite Navigation (available since 1 December 2009).

Toyota also offers SUNA GPS Traffic Updates as part of the FollowMe™ Sound and Navigation System as an aftermarket accessory. Toyota FollowMe Sound and Navigation System: Audio & Navigation Accessories (http://www.toyota.com.au/accessories/audio-navigation/followme-navigation)

Many recent-model European vehicles are potentially software-upgradeable, and SUNA GPS Traffic Updates is in discussion with vehicle importers and manufacturers regarding licensing arrangements that my enable certain models to be upgraded. Contact your auto manufacturer or dealer for more information.

and

[b]Can I subscribe using my in-car navigation system?

Unfortunately this is not possible at this stage. The SUNA Traffic Channel is currently only available through certain products manufactured by companies which we have a commercial agreement with. At this stage, a separate subscription cannot be purchased by the general public. We are in negotiation with various companies within the automotive, navigation and mobile phone industry with a view to make live traffic updates through SUNA accessible through as many mediums as possible.

So bsically unless VWA get involved and pay for the license then VW can add it into the code of the firmware to make it work.

More Info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traffic_Message_Channel#Australia

Australia

Intelematics Australia[11] broadcasts a national encrypted RDS-TMC service focused initially on urban Australia, under the consumer brand 'SUNA Traffic Channel'. The service, which reaches around 85% of urban Australia is transmitted by commercial FM broadcasters in seven cities, as well as via XML for online and smartphone applications. The service is available on GPS systems including Navman, Garmin, Mio, Uniden, iPhone (Navigon & Sygic), Eclipse, Pioneer, Alpine and Clarion navigation systems. SUNA Traffic Channel is also available in Ford, Holden, Toyota, Nissan, Subaru, & Mercedes Benz navigation systems. SUNA is currently the only source of comprehensive, metropolitan congestion monitoring content in Australia - this is achieved using proprietary technology interfacing to traffic light control systems. The SUNA broadcast service is fully compliant with both the RDS and TMC standard however the broadcast is encrypted and therefore will not work on all in-car GPS navigation systems that do not have a commercial arrangement with SUNA.

jameshero
14-03-2012, 10:56 PM
SUNA is completely useless, consistently fails to alert me to bad traffic, and when it does, the traffic has usually cleared before the message is broadcasted, TomTom HD is both more accurate and comprehensive, but requires TomTom, access to SUNA is provided on the CD_7703 map disc though...

Jase
27-05-2012, 02:58 AM
Recently read that SUNA acknowledge delays & miscommunication. SUNA v2 or something similar was due to roll out soon if not already. I don't think SUNA is going away anytime soon & in Australia we'll have to continue to pay in some form or another to access the broadcasts.

It's disappointing VW haven't paid for access. For non-VW GPS units, access to SUNA TMC costs $100-150 (either in the form of an up-spec'd unit or for a TMC specific cradle). I think for a $2000 RRP unit, with TMC button that currently does sweet FA, it'd be worth an extra $100 for seemless integration. The fact my Columbus (RNS510) shows TMC is present across several FM broadcasts in Melbourne is an added tease.

This upcoming 7703 version map, is SUNA TMC meant to work? I'd imagine a firmware update might be required though?

kamold
27-05-2012, 09:33 AM
In theory all that is needed is for the map data to contain the TMC=yes flag as well as the license information which is required to decrypt the TMC broadcast. No firmware update/change is required.
As you mentioned, if you turn TMC on in the RNS510 menu it detects the FM broadcast, just can't decrypt the data from the signal in order to make use of it.

readerr0r
27-05-2012, 11:09 AM
In theory all that is needed is for the map data to contain the TMC=yes flag as well as the license information which is required to decrypt the TMC broadcast. No firmware update/change is required.
As you mentioned, if you turn TMC on in the RNS510 menu it detects the FM broadcast, just can't decrypt the data from the signal in order to make use of it.

I always wondered if you could extract the key from another manufactures map disc if they also use Sensis maps but they're hard to get a hold of :P

kamold
27-05-2012, 11:20 AM
Would be worth a try I guess. I know BMW use Sensis maps as well, anyone know if they support TMC in Aus?

Edit: I just took a look at a BMW map disk from a guy at work here it has TMC: no. Old map disk though v14 Sensis maps.

GippsCC
15-11-2012, 08:56 PM
SUNA and TomTom HD not worth it, so don't feel like you are missing out. I've used both, and found them practically useless. Both are late to recognise problems, and remain on long after the problem has cleared. I understand European services better than what we get here, but with Australia it's just a waste of time and money.

jameshero
19-11-2012, 10:08 AM
SUNA and TomTom HD not worth it, so don't feel like you are missing out.

RACV have a map of the SUNA data for Melbourne...

Traffic Incidents - RACV Travel (http://www.racv.com.au/wps/wcm/connect/Internet/Primary/travel/before+you+go/real-time+traffic/melbourne+traffic+incidents)

It only shows incidents, rather than general traffic conditions and is therefore rarely useful. I've only seen the website line up with reality once, but the website failed to show that the closure of another street was the cause, so would have led you down that street anyway.

SUNA also provides a Google Maps like traffic service (it may even be the same data) but I believe the way TMC works does not allow this type of traffic data to be transmitted, I assume it would require an internet enabled device.

The guy I bought my satnav (from Continental) does have a copy of CD_7703, which definitely does have TMC for Australia as I've seen it working =P, but unfortunately it can not be distributed, I assume it's still in testing. This was a few months ago so not sure we may ever get it.