PDA

View Full Version : Caddy Towbar Removal

Nordo
29-04-2009, 08:53 PM
I need help with my daughter's Caddy.

I need to remove the towbar from her old Caddy and install it on her new Caddy. I need to know if removal is easy, especially regarding the electricals. I currently don't have access to the van, and need a heads-up with necessary tools, etc, before I travel 150km to work on it.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.:)

For those who are interested, she drove her 2005 Caddy through floodwater and did something to the electronics. The insurance company wrote it off. Reckoned it was going to cost $20,000 to fix the damage. The van is currently at Pickles in Brisbane, and will be auctioned sometime soon. The body, all mechanicals, and as far as I know, the motor, is in perfect condition. Brand new tyres as well.:frown:

Preen59
29-04-2009, 09:07 PM
Hey mate.

There's actually a full wiring loom that plugs into the ECU that will need to be disconnected. You'll need to have the towbar "activated" on the new caddy too when the loom is transferred to the new van.

This is my recollection of what i've been told by a VW tech, so anyone feel free to say so if i've gotten that wrong.. :)

Nordo
30-04-2009, 12:11 AM
Hey mate.

There's actually a full wiring loom that plugs into the ECU that will need to be disconnected. You'll need to have the towbar "activated" on the new caddy too when the loom is transferred to the new van.

This is my recollection of what i've been told by a VW tech, so anyone feel free to say so if i've gotten that wrong.. :)
Hi
Thanks for that. I was hoping that the Caddy had a plug that the towbar just plugged into. Last time I fitted a towbar I had to bare the wires on the main loom and figure out which was which.:frown: That was a few years ago though.:biggrin:

Thanks for the info on the "activation". I'll ask the dealer where she's picking up her new Caddy.

BTW, what's the "ECU"?:???:

Nordo
06-05-2009, 07:27 AM
Tried to get the towbar off yesterday.
Spent a couple of hours. Undid what bolts I could find, but the bar wouldn't budge.:frown:

As you said, the electrical connector plug is part of a wiring loom that disappears into the bodywork. Had no idea how to detach that from the Caddy.

So if anyone wants a Caddy in good condition, it will be going to auction at Pickles Auctions, Acacia Ridge, Queensland in the near future. It was written off because flood water had got into the motor. Body, mechanicals, upholstery, etc are all perfect. Also 5 brand new tyres.:driver:

My daughter picked up a brand new Caddy yesterday. She got a good deal, but while she was in the dealer's showroom, she spotted a Caddy Maxi and suddenly realised THAT was what she really wanted.:duh: Too late though. Her Caddy was already there ready to be picked up.