PDA

View Full Version : Need some feedback

varsur
29-04-2009, 11:53 AM
Hi,

I have placed an order for my tig. 103 TDI without navigation. I was going through the ebay and found that there is cheap option available not original though its called "A-SURE Professional ALL-IN-ONE in-dash Car GPS Navigator / DVD Player For VW".

I want to know if someone got this fitted in their tig. It also have reversing camera and TV. so if someone have fitted this please advise how does camera gets fitted at rear and how is the TV reception HD or normal. Also can TV be used without buying antena?

Any thoughts are welcome.

Thanks.

NZTiguan
29-04-2009, 12:28 PM
I don't know of this particular unit and personally I'm a bit dubious on most of these Chinese units, particularly if you're buying off eBay and installing yourself, but your risk and your money.

Regarding the rear view camera, I can tell you that you'd have to run all the wiring back to the rear for that and I have no idea if it's as good as the stock unit fitted with the RNS510, I doubt it will show the turn guides etc (dotted lines that show where you'll go with the current steering angle).

Don't forget that you'll have to get everything "coded" to work with the Tig so if you don't already have VagCom you'll need to get that too or find a dealer that's happy to set everything up for you.

Good luck.

Cheers

clip
29-04-2009, 06:50 PM
There are lots out there now. I got the AV9000 through a supplier in Sydney. I imagine yours will be similar. The AV is a great unit - for the price. Have had zero problems with it and installed it myself in about 15 minutes flat - minus the camera.

The camera that was supplied with mine was crap, so I bought an Alpine one which is awesome (but very pricey). I got the supplier to install that for $70 (best $70 I've ever spent) and they did a great job.

The SATNav in mine is really good. Very fast processing, accurate etc etc. I run iGo8, but will occasional run the TomTom software for a laugh - like having Ozy swearing at me every time I make a turn.

Forget the TV. TV's do not work in moving vehicles very well at all. Try grabbing your home TV aerial and waving it around - what happens? So it's really only good for when you're parked. Most people install the aerial under the front bumper somewhere. You probably will need to buy that yourself if you want it (mine did not come with one anyway). And they are analogue, not digital - probably because it's better to have a fuzzy picture with sound than a frozen one with no sound.

The only real problem with the unit is the screen, the resolution is excellent in the AV, but it suffers badly from glare, although others that have had similar units or seen similar units say the AV9000 is the better of them - so the others must be really bad! None of them are as good as the screen in the RNS unit.

Hope this helps.

varsur
30-04-2009, 02:32 PM
Thats great clip, If you dont mind can I ask how much does the unit and the camera costs?
Thanks.

Johnno
30-04-2009, 07:19 PM
On the topic of the telly...

I'm told the RNS plays DVD's, but only when the vehicle is stopped. Does the DVD pause at that bit until you stop again, or will I have to keep rewinding? Or, more importantly, can anyone tell me whether there is an easy way to override that shut-off function?

And yes, I know its a safety thing. But its for my passengers :)

clip
30-04-2009, 08:21 PM
On the topic of the telly...

I'm told the RNS plays DVD's, but only when the vehicle is stopped. Does the DVD pause at that bit until you stop again, or will I have to keep rewinding? Or, more importantly, can anyone tell me whether there is an easy way to override that shut-off function?

And yes, I know its a safety thing. But its for my passengers :)
you just need to ground the handbrake terminal on the back of the unit.