PDA

View Full Version : Wiper question

clip
28-04-2009, 09:36 PM
Just a quick one. Why do my wipers always drop down after turning them off after using them in the rain, but then pop up after switching the car off and stay up when I start up again?

I thought the running position would have been down, but the only time they get in that position is if I've been using them and not turned the engine off and back on again.

I think once when I started it they dropped down. Seems they have a mind of their own! Anyone know what they are supposed to be doing?

Thanks.

mikinoz
28-04-2009, 09:41 PM
MKV has this feature and always return to the lower position, unless it is on the intermittent setting. I think that is to do with turbulence and air flow - but have no idea if speed has anything to do with where they will end up.

NZTiguan
29-04-2009, 06:37 AM
I believe it's also part of the "pedestrian safety" package so they tuck down out of the way when possible but I'm not certain of this, can't remember where I read it but the full print out on my Tig shows

VL1 Extended pedestrian protection measures

Cheers

clip
29-04-2009, 06:32 PM
yeh, it's weird. Even on intermittent (or rain sensing in my case) they will drop down if there is enough time between wipes. If I've been using them they will always pop up when switch off the engine.

I would have thought they would drop down again when restarting, but they don't, unless I use the wipers again. :crazy:

Tigga1
30-04-2009, 07:42 PM
yeh, it's weird. Even on intermittent (or rain sensing in my case) they will drop down if there is enough time between wipes. If I've been using them they will always pop up when switch off the engine.

I would have thought they would drop down again when restarting, but they don't, unless I use the wipers again. :crazy:
hey clip
I remember reading somewhere on one of the VW forums that it has to do with avoiding a "stationary" position for the wipers and marking the screen and/or blades themselves...
happily be corrected on this one though:)

clip
30-04-2009, 10:11 PM
thanks Tigga, that could be it too.