PDA

View Full Version : Name that Car 2

maca
27-04-2009, 10:55 PM
The other day I was at Autobarn Macgregor when I saw a really really nice Audi. Didn't get a chance to check out the badge, but if Audi's didn't change their names so often I would've said it was an old A8 judging solely on its size.

Would've been early 90's possible late 80's. Could've been older as Audi's have always looked rather modern. It also had an Americanesque type appeal to it (which I found rather attractive).

balkanac
28-04-2009, 08:15 AM
Audi 100 maybe? Did yhey ever sell them in aus?

maca
28-04-2009, 09:00 AM
I'm not sure whether they were ever sold in Australia.. Honestly it was the first time i've even seen one (or noticed one, for that matter).

I think it could've been a 100.. Or even 200 by looking at that website!

Jmac
28-04-2009, 05:19 PM
100 or a 200 Turbo. What colour was it????? ive seen an Audi V8 kicking around that area of the woods, these were before A8 around 91-92.
Jmac

maca
28-04-2009, 05:44 PM
100 or a 200 Turbo. What colour was it????? ive seen an Audi V8 kicking around that area of the woods, these were before A8 around 91-92.
Jmac

It was dark, like black or even dark brown.. May have been a V8 but it didn't ring a bell when I googled it

Jmac
28-04-2009, 06:38 PM
Thats it Burgandy V8 mate, seen it around
Jmac

V8quattro
28-04-2009, 08:40 PM
There are two cayenne metallic V8s (burgandy) I know of that were in Qld, poss both in Brisbane. One of them was my car, sold to a bloke on the GC who then onsold, not sure who. Also a black V8 up there, met the owner when he drove it down to Sydney a few years ago.

The V8 uses the same bodyshell as the 100/200 but modified guards etc. The front end does look a bit like a 1990s US car, a bit like a Crown Vic you always see the US cop shows using.

maca
28-04-2009, 09:32 PM
There are two cayenne metallic V8s (burgandy) I know of that were in Qld, poss both in Brisbane. One of them was my car, sold to a bloke on the GC who then onsold, not sure who. Also a black V8 up there, met the owner when he drove it down to Sydney a few years ago.

The V8 uses the same bodyshell as the 100/200 but modified guards etc. The front end does look a bit like a 1990s US car, a bit like a Crown Vic you always see the US cop shows using.

Must've been it then.. A really nice car! Wouldn't mind owning one now :)

Jmac
28-04-2009, 09:47 PM
Pdi,d them new! and they were the dogs nuts then, loaded to the max with every bit of electrical gadgetry. Off topic a wee bit had one draining a battery, turned out after a lot of diagnosis the heated door locks were staying on. Yeah in Scotland we did need them, wouldnt be the first time ive pee,d on a lock to get the key in:eek:
These were a mega car IMO
Jmac

maca
28-04-2009, 10:14 PM
Heated door locks! What's the world coming to in technology!!??

V8quattro
29-04-2009, 07:56 PM
I really like these cars, they were pretty advanced in their day... but that was nearly 20 years ago now. In fact, the first V8s are more than 20 yrs old...

The first V8, effectively 2 Golf 1.8 16vs sandwiched together, was (funnily enough) a 3.6-litre that was pretty fuel efficient (9.0L/100km) but not that quick. I timed mine at 9.3sec 0-100km/h using a magazine's timing gear, and found later a similar time from the cars when tested new.

The car that I'd like to own is the one and only 206kW 4.2-litre Audi V8 in Oz. This engine went on in the A8, but the one V8 quattro with this engine that was officially imported here in 92 or 93 was supercharged and raced in the Gumball Rally and an early Targa Tassie. It was rolled at Targa, and re-shelled. Now lives in SA, been in touch with the bloke who owns it and two 3.6s, says it is a bit rough with its race history and re-shell but goes pretty hard.

Though I never saw it, what may be the best of the 14 cars officially imported was a dark green one sold in Canberra a couple years ago. It needed a new steering rack, but had only low km (?130k km) and was sold for abt $2k - peanuts! I'd be surprised if it took much more tha $2k to get a new rack into it. It is now in eastern Victoria somewhere with an owner who has a few other V8s.

The best thing about this car was its refinement. They really had that sorted out, and though I could take or leave that US-inspired front, with the BBS wheels from the side or back it looked kinda '80s blocky and pretty tough.

I still kinda miss mine but body parts unique to the V8 were more and more NLA and I was spending a fortune on it trying to make it perfect. That's a slippery slope for any car, so I sold it.

You might stil be able to buy the LHD 4.2 6-sp track car for Simon at QSZ, he was advertising it for a while but it is not registerable, track use only.

qsz
01-05-2009, 11:21 AM
Still for sale if anybody is intersted.
Make me an offer as need to sell it to fund DTM car restoration.
3.6 might not be that quick but my 4.2 with 6 spped and about 300kg missing, it flys! Quicker than a TVR chemira. That is a 0-100 in 5sec bracket:):)

Cheers,

Simon

superfly.nn
01-05-2009, 08:42 PM
Still for sale if anybody is intersted.
Make me an offer as need to sell it to fund DTM car restoration.
3.6 might not be that quick but my 4.2 with 6 spped and about 300kg missing, it flys! Quicker than a TVR chemira. That is a 0-100 in 5sec bracket:):)

Cheers,

Simon

I'm always lurking waiting to hear whats on offer..
What is still for sale - have you got a 3.6 V8 for sale???? Pics please.

I'm currently the owner of a 200 Turbo with a proud 35,000ks on the clock and always looking to add to my collection.
Is it just me or does anyone else here filter through the classifieds for the UK and NZ looking for rare gems?

maca
02-05-2009, 03:55 AM
If it's a V8; it's out of the question. (Stupid P plate laws of QLD)

Pretty sure it's out of the question anyways due to lack of funds! :)

Jmac
02-05-2009, 01:47 PM
I'm always lurking waiting to hear whats on offer..
What is still for sale - have you got a 3.6 V8 for sale???? Pics please.

I'm currently the owner of a 200 Turbo with a proud 35,000ks on the clock and always looking to add to my collection.
Is it just me or does anyone else here filter through the classifieds for the UK and NZ looking for rare gems?

Im very much the lurker too mate:) seems crazy when i was throwing stuff like this away back in Scotland, Gtis the lot. Took it all for granted. Ah well that was then this is now i suppose.
Cheers
Jmac

V8quattro
02-05-2009, 07:59 PM
Simon's 4.2-litre V8 LHD track car would be sensational if you can justify such a car. If I could somehow convert it to RHD (whcih I don't think has been done with a manual V8q) and register it (Simon? Ever possible now it's here as a track car?), well, I reckon that's the V8q to own! I've seen this car, albeit a few years ago, and it was in pretty good shape.

With only about 11 to 14 Aussie spec 3.6 V8s here, you won't see them come up for sale that often... I got $12,500 for mine three years ago, but none of them would be worth more than $10k now I reckon. They are not really collectable. There was a spate of them for sale two to three years ago, but I haven't seen any since.

Funny though how old A8 values seem to have held.. saw a 3.7 go at auction for $16k and less than 100k km 3 yrs ago, but now they seem to still be around the same price... I'd like an A8 4.2 in good nick but I don't think my budget would stretch...

As for the 200T, there was one just like yours superfly on ebay this week with 165,000km. Looked really good for its age, it seemed like it'd been looked after.

Jmac
02-05-2009, 08:55 PM
Simon's 4.2-litre V8 LHD track car would be sensational if you can justify such a car. If I could somehow convert it to RHD (whcih I don't think has been done with a manual V8q) and register it (Simon? Ever possible now it's here as a track car?), well, I reckon that's the V8q to own! I've seen this car, albeit a few years ago, and it was in pretty good shape.

With only about 11 to 14 Aussie spec 3.6 V8s here, you won't see them come up for sale that often... I got $12,500 for mine three years ago, but none of them would be worth more than $10k now I reckon. They are not really collectable. There was a spate of them for sale two to three years ago, but I haven't seen any since.

Funny though how old A8 values seem to have held.. saw a 3.7 go at auction for $16k and less than 100k km 3 yrs ago, but now they seem to still be around the same price... I'd like an A8 4.2 in good nick but I don't think my budget would stretch...

As for the 200T, there was one just like yours superfly on ebay this week with 165,000km. Looked really good for its age, it seemed like it'd been looked after.

Totally agree with you there mate. You should see what you can get back in Scotland. Had my parents over here about a month ago and my Dad is an enthusiast , and he was telling me they are going for nothing now. A good old A8 would be the go, they are loaded and were reliable to be honest, i have worked for dub and Audi for many years and seriously never had any major things go wrong. I changed 1 Auto in the UK on a brand newwie but thats about it. Ah yeah had a V8 with a porous block but really was a one off. Never forget the first skipping rope timing belt when i was an apprentice;-)
Great cars
Jmac

qsz
03-05-2009, 08:33 AM
Hi Guys,
i am quite sure you a) can't reg. it as I brought it in under homologation rules and b) the man. cars have a diffrent body shell to the Autos on the 4.2 that is why their was never a RHD man. version. I have heard their were some 5sped RHD cars but only a handfull and it was just a rumour.

My car is in very good condition, even comes with a full Audi SH! If it was RHD I would have it on the road.

cheers

superfly.nn
03-05-2009, 10:11 PM
Bare with me a second - There are a few old 200's knocking about. For all intense purposes the 200 and v8 were the same car (minor body work changes). Whats to say you can't take the 4.2 v8 engine from your V8 that you are trying to sell and put it into a road worthy 200 chasis. I happen to know someone who is taking the engine out of a 200T and does not need the rest of the car. You then have a roadworthy 200 with manual v8 (ohh baby).

qsz
04-05-2009, 04:55 PM
300bhp in an 80's front wheel drive C3 chassis :brutal:

V8quattro
04-05-2009, 06:13 PM
I think there are lots of differences between FWD 200T and quattro V8. So you'd have one one spare output shaft for starters...

Jmac
04-05-2009, 07:10 PM
All you need to do to put you right off the idea is to look under the passengers carpet:eek: About 20kms of wiring, never forget the 1st time i seen this.
Jmac:)

wyuen01
05-05-2009, 10:55 PM
20km..........................!!? i think i will pull my carpet and see how much wiring i have got.