PDA

View Full Version : GTi motor: carby to efi

SpeciP3
26-04-2009, 10:50 PM
Hi all,

looking at getting a GTi for my mk1. have found one from an aus delivered mk2. It has the carby setup but wondering how hard it might be to covert to k-jet? I know there are obvious issues in running fuel lines etc etc, but in terms of performance figures it would way better right?

be interested to hear about the conversion,

cheers,
Michael :driver:

Preen59
26-04-2009, 11:00 PM
If it's a GTI engine it should have injection on it.

The "I" in GTI stands for Injection.. :)

Find out what the engine number is and the Mk2 buffs on here will be able to tell you whether this "GTI" engine really is a GTI engine. :bluesbro:

SpeciP3
26-04-2009, 11:51 PM
If it's a GTI engine it should have injection on it.

The "I" in GTI stands for Injection.. :)

Find out what the engine number is and the Mk2 buffs on here will be able to tell you whether this "GTI" engine really is a GTI engine. :bluesbro:

Ahk well maybe it's the GT version motor, unless it's just been plugged to fit a carby (don't know why). I'll try to get an engine number but it might be hard as I haven't got it yet.
will post up some more info as soon as i know :biggrin:

roccodingo
27-04-2009, 01:08 AM
Not all injection engines are GTI spec either, including the 1600's...

Verify what the engine prefix code is then you can be sure unless its been around and been fiddled with.

Jarred
27-04-2009, 10:41 AM
Injector holes are easy to plug up, with old injectors or 5 cent pieces even!

Providing it is a GTI motor, converting it back shouldn't be too hard, unless a po has gone a bit ott with the conversion.

SpeciP3
06-05-2009, 07:22 PM
Welll has been a little while, but i have been unable to find out what the motor code is. So far all i know is it is a aus delivered mk2 gti engine, that has a carby not efi.

Aside from all of that would really like to know what the process of conversion would be like, sort of step by step i guess.
I haven't made any decisions but just wanted to hear what anyone may think.
cheers :)

Jarred
06-05-2009, 07:40 PM
aus delivered mk 2 GTI's weree digi pants, which is EFI not carby.

there are some personal import mk 2 floating around that were factory.

jeanheide
06-05-2009, 08:04 PM
if you got the engine code of any mk2 ill tell you what it came out of.
is it a 1.8l?
if so it would be a GT engine. should be the 75kw engine.
if its 1.6l it is usually the smaller GT or it can be the old syncros.
some even came out in a normal mk2 but i doubt anyone would have that here in aus.
1.6l engines with carby are: PN 51kw, RF 53kw, EZ 55kw-GT (which i have)
1.8l engines with carby are: RH 62kw-GT, GU 66kw-GT

roccodingo
06-05-2009, 08:48 PM
Welll has been a little while, but i have been unable to find out what the motor code is. So far all i know is it is a aus delivered mk2 gti engine, that has a carby not efi.

Aside from all of that would really like to know what the process of conversion would be like, sort of step by step i guess.
I haven't made any decisions but just wanted to hear what anyone may think.
cheers :)

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/roccodingo/P2010011.jpg

If you look at the blue engine block image, there is a small rectangular section not painted behind the hose going down to the oil cooler ( shiny silver box on front), That is where the engine number resides, The code letters are stamped infront of the engine number on the same unpainted strip. May need a bit of sand paper to clean it up to make it legible, then you will find out what the code is.

Thats of course if you dont know where it is located , hope this helps bud

revnit
08-05-2009, 06:33 AM
If you are going to run K-jet the easiest and best way is to find an early K -jet setup similar to that that you'd find on a 1983 mk1 gti because they don't run the lambda mixture system via o2 sensor and all the other rubbish they been sticking on over the years, you can run the early K -Jet with a basic points dizzy if you want to and i think the later ones run from a ecu?? (i don't know to many wires for me),

I find the early ones are more tunable and so much easier to setup ive had experience with both i had the early setup on my 1.8l 8v i thought it was great was 100% reliable good power decent economy first key start without cold start connected! i also run the early k -jet on my 16v with nitrous.

here is a link to some info on k jet theres a complete manual you can download aswell http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3261748

SpeciP3
08-05-2009, 04:21 PM
thanks for the help guys, just wanted to clarify a few points.
as for the engine code jean i haven't got the motor yet and have not viewed it either, will do in the coming weeks.
I think it is the GT motor as you said but will confirm this later.
there are a heap more wires for fuel injection obviously?

revnit
10-05-2009, 07:25 AM
If you run a early k - jet you need to wire up a electric fuelpump, coldstart injector (i run mine off a push button in the cab) and warm up regulator (mines not even plugged in) thats it turn key and it will run :biggrin: the later model
k -jets are a bit more complex.

Golf Loon
10-05-2009, 07:56 AM
I wouldn`t go kjet these days with a fresh install, use aftermarket efi, or wire in the digifant from a Mk2 or 3. All the kjet bits are getting old and expensive and it is not understood by most mechanics. EFI will be much more reliable and cheaper.

jeanheide
12-05-2009, 09:36 AM
gotcha code yet?

SpeciP3
12-05-2009, 03:24 PM
gotcha code yet?

Nope no code yet, will probably just stick with the carby setup for now and maybe go efi later on down the track.
I'm just wondering now about fiddley little bits, like speedo cables etc, will most things plug n play with the 1600 components? :banana:

jeanheide
13-05-2009, 04:01 PM
basically all vw engines are the exact same just built in diff sixes in regards to plug and play. some things will be different like your fuel pump management etc. efi has a electric fuel pump and the carby and k/ke jetronic i think had a mecanically driven one. dont remember.
but otherwise it plugs straight in incl your speedo cables etc.
my caby doesent have a 2nd thermostat tho. to change between engine flow and engine radiator flow so some sensors from the efi wont plug in. but otherwise my gti tacho fits into my gt, cus it has a gti tacho in it :D
if you need ne help just ask me cause im constantly screwin around on my car.

Jarred
13-05-2009, 05:37 PM
Kjet runs an electric fuel pump.

speedo cable runs off the gearbox anyways,.

Depending on your future plans, I'm going to echo the sentiments of running aftermarket EFI. Kjet is a bit of a lost art, where as EFI is still getting more popular, if that makes sense at all. So many options out there, a number of budget ones too.