PDA

View Full Version : Thanks for the wake up call, Mum...

Mrk_Mickey
24-04-2009, 09:42 AM
Argh what a nightmare! Look what I woke up to this morning :( :brutal:

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/04/Golf1-2.jpg
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/04/golf2-1.jpg
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/04/Golf3-2.jpg
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/04/Golf4-1.jpg
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/04/Golf5-1.jpg

At about 6 45am a Toyota Camry was driving down my road and the lady driver says the sun was blocking her eyes so she couldn't see my car (parked, while I was fast asleep). She whacked it at the front left of her car, so her headlight and bumped got owned lol..but yeah my poor baby :(. The taillight was in more pieces than there are stars in the sky! Thankfully, the lady stayed there and we exchanged all sorts of details. She couldn't speak english though... :duh:.

My bloody mother nearly broke my door down to come in and wake me...it sounded like she'd been shot in the back! I suppose she knows how much i love this car lol.

So... Who knows a really good repairer?? :D

gtimk5
24-04-2009, 09:46 AM
Sheez!!! Thats terrible mate, I hope it all gets repaired asap.
I am shocked, Good luck with it. :frown:

Mrk_Mickey
24-04-2009, 09:49 AM
I'm completely n00b when it comes to chassis stuff, so can anyone tell me in these pictures, does it look like it's done any chassis damage? :confused:

V®6
24-04-2009, 09:51 AM
Bloody some people should not be allowed to drive

Sorry to hear Mickey, hopefuly you can it fixed without too much hassle.

Russ59
24-04-2009, 09:53 AM
Sorry to see and hear Mickey :frown: Think yourself lucky she at least stopped, there's so many scumbags out there nowadays who would happily have kept driving :brutal: Can't help with the repairer but just make sure it's a good one and they do the job properly. Luckily it's white, it's much easier to colour match and usually a lot less obvious that the car's been damaged. Best of luck with it mate :)

Jarred
24-04-2009, 09:55 AM
oh mickey. I'm shattered for you mate! that's terrible. Thats one thing I always worry about when I park on the street.

that's dreadful. hopefully it all gets sorted through insurance. That's taken a fair whack. You can see the alignment near the door is out now. & I suggest teh roof might even have a kink in it.

Best of luck mate.

MIS.18T
24-04-2009, 10:06 AM
quick buy steves bbs rs wheels you can still win the nats.....

**** thats so **** sucks a big one.

Tim
24-04-2009, 10:09 AM
Damn the Toyota Camry driver strikes again!

Sucks big time man. That one doesnt look like it will be a cheap repair.

DubSteve
24-04-2009, 10:15 AM
Sorry to hear man but I would say in the vsinity of around $5000 to fix its a fair bit of labour right there :(

quick buy steves bbs rs wheels you can still win the nats.....

Nah mate just use your porsche twists that will do the job.

bombsquad21
24-04-2009, 10:28 AM
Don't let your car sit in some assessment place for days on end. Stuff may go missing on it. Thats a bad spot to get hit, book value on your VR6 wont be that high?? You got any stockies to throw on there as well? Make sure you get a rental car, cause you got this massive inconvenience placed on you. Don't settle for a Hyundai Getz neither..

Leave nothing to chance, get every persons name and take notes after every conversation with insurers, assessors, repairers. If they decide to total it, can you buy it back? You need to buy it back!!

You need to be super assertive...you will probably never speak to these people again as long as u live. If they don't like you cause your a demanding prick so what??

gareth_oau
24-04-2009, 10:57 AM
I think they should change licensing laws.

when going for your driving test, you have to answer the question: "Would you be willing to drive a Camry?"

If you tick the 'yes' box, :duh: then its an automatic fail!!:brutal:

Golf Houso
24-04-2009, 11:27 AM
:duh::duh::duh::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::brutal: :brutal:

Awwww man, thats complete ... ahhh, is the damage limited to the rear fender, rear bumper and tail-light?

thestu
24-04-2009, 11:30 AM
:brutal::brutal::brutal::brutal::brutal::brutal:

DUDEEEEEE! NOOOOOOO!!!!! :( i'm sorry so see this!!!!!!!!!!

has it kinked the tailgate in anyway? and can you see if the fuel filer has moved!
i know when mine was run down the side the fuel filer was rubbing against the wheel! :(

mate this sucks! but at least you don't have to pay for it...

The_Hawk
24-04-2009, 12:20 PM
Removing a few choice bits and replacing them with the stock parts might just be a good idea. Especially if they end up writing it off, those parts will probably not actually add any value. (I'm thinking the bumper and the wheels at the very least).

Edit: Also any extra setero bits that can be quickly and simply removed (and re-installed later).

Blitzen
24-04-2009, 12:25 PM
Dude, I feel your pain...I had the exact same thing happen to me with my last car, a chick in an EL Falcon rear ended me. She was driving into the sun, had a heavy dew on the windows, and it was her 5th accident of the year...Her car was a write off...

WABIT
24-04-2009, 12:34 PM
WHOIOARRR!! DUDE noooo

damn shame man..... get get it looking a1 again

sorry to hear dude

dom

goodfella
24-04-2009, 01:00 PM
Similar thing happened to me, except the guy hit and pushed my car along the kerb and bent the chassis, and he reckons he was doing 40!!!

Of it is around $5k damage, insurance will most likely write-off. Speak to your insurer, then start shopping around for another VR6 to swap your bits into...

Look on the bright side, your mystery engine probs are now gone!

Mind's Eye
24-04-2009, 01:08 PM
Man that sucks!!!!!

At least they stopped, a lot of people wouldn't

Hope it all works out well and you can keep it, it's a very clean car

william
24-04-2009, 01:14 PM
dude it is a blessing from god you can get the whole car painted and your wheels, at the expense of the insurance company. Ive got a mate who has a panel shop he does exceptional work and has 15years experience.

MattyT
24-04-2009, 01:59 PM
Oh bugger man!! Hope its not a write off!! Let us know how you go with the insurance scum, good luck!

velly_16v_cab
24-04-2009, 02:06 PM
thats not a nice way to be woken up!!!!

Lorenz
24-04-2009, 02:23 PM
:o :o :o :o

Geeeez Mickey, that aint pretty :(

Thats the last thing you would want to wake up to. Luckily mines parked off street almost every night of the year.

Good luck with everything, hopefully the insurance company dont screw you over and they get stuck right into it... who you with btw?

dubbed
24-04-2009, 03:37 PM
A few $k in that at least.. I hope it's not too painful to get it fixed.

Cupra
24-04-2009, 04:52 PM
That's shocking,

hope it all works out

Phil

maca
24-04-2009, 04:59 PM
Pfft.. Who need an alarm clock when you have that lovely sound to wake up to!

Hope all goes well! And hope the insurance isn't too tight to do a good job :)

gti
24-04-2009, 06:09 PM
Oh Micky I feel your pain! Just when the VR6 was looking pretty schmick. I feel connected to this car after having helped detail the bonnet. Soak up all you can from the Insurance Co.

greasykitchen
24-04-2009, 06:23 PM
Bummer dude! Sad sight to see. :(

Hope it gets sorted with minimum fuss and inconvenience.

A similar thing happened to my brother's car a few years ago. The sound was so loud it woke me up. He never got it fixed and still drives round in it. But it's only a Sigma. ;)

Treza360
24-04-2009, 07:07 PM
As others have said Mickey this ****ing sucks. How some people get there license and are then allowed to keep it is beyond me. At least she did the right thing and stayed.
Hope everything turns out alright.
Cheers,
Trent

Manaz
24-04-2009, 08:30 PM
Oh dude! That's just the pits. I live in fear of stupid drivers with my baby, I know what that must feel like...

I've sent you a PM regarding a great repairer in Pendle Hill.

Water Boy
24-04-2009, 08:34 PM
Ohh dang :duh: You are lucky the person didnt drive off

Get here looking a little more stock and make sure its repaired properly

Golf Loon
24-04-2009, 09:07 PM
Yeah I`d whack the wheels and bumper back on and ring round a few local smash repairers, then take it to them and get quotes.

Explain how much you love it and that you doint want it written off.
If you rely on her insurance company, they will just give you a payout figure and write it off I reckon. If they wanna do that, haggle for the salvage of the wreck and get it repaired yourself.

You`d struggle to find another straight vr6, thay are vanishing fast.

mikepologti
25-04-2009, 01:46 AM
i think you need to wake up her at 6am with a bulldozer hitting her camry. that majorly sucks man.

KI11Z
25-04-2009, 02:48 AM
WHOHHHLLY $h!7STIX! gawd damb mickey, you've had a terror run with your VR mate :eek: I woulda been PISSED!! :brutal: good luck with it all :frown:

Mrk_Mickey
26-04-2009, 12:47 PM
Thanks for all the support guys, it hasn't been a very nice weekend (even though I went on holiday!:(). Having to look at it every time I walked to my door really sucks. I noticed that the rear right door is sorta catching on the pillar too so it's not looking good right now:(

Don't let your car sit in some assessment place for days on end. Stuff may go missing on it. Thats a bad spot to get hit, book value on your VR6 wont be that high?? You got any stockies to throw on there as well? Make sure you get a rental car, cause you got this massive inconvenience placed on you. Don't settle for a Hyundai Getz neither..

Leave nothing to chance, get every persons name and take notes after every conversation with insurers, assessors, repairers. If they decide to total it, can you buy it back? You need to buy it back!!

You need to be super assertive...you will probably never speak to these people again as long as u live. If they don't like you cause your a demanding prick so what??
Thanks for the advice mate, there's a few things in there I would have missed, but this is definitely my plan of action. I hope the NRMA who insures the other driver gives me a car..

Yeah I`d whack the wheels and bumper back on and ring round a few local smash repairers, then take it to them and get quotes.

Explain how much you love it and that you doint want it written off.
If you rely on her insurance company, they will just give you a payout figure and write it off I reckon. If they wanna do that, haggle for the salvage of the wreck and get it repaired yourself.

You`d struggle to find another straight vr6, thay are vanishing fast.
Problem is I've got heaps of fiddly little bits in the car that are personalised to me..so even if it is written off it will be hard to make another VR6 mine again... :( maybe a mk4 this time? lol..

WHOHHHLLY $h!7STIX! gawd damb mickey, you've had a terror run with your VR mate :eek: I woulda been PISSED!! :brutal: good luck with it all :frown:

Thanks man :(

All of this depends on the amount of damage on my car, but I figured that these are my options:
a) speak to a good repairer, hopefully someone who won't mind throwing a few extra things into the equation (like hatch shaving and respraying a few other bits) because it's gonna be a big job anyways..
b) write it off and buy it back and then repair it myself and have money left over hopefully...
c) write it off and strip the thing BARE and sell off everything i don't/won't need and look out for another VR6..

So my final question...what is the actual procedure with this whole scenario? If I take it to a few recommended repairers and get quotes/assessments, do they then tell me whether it's going to be written off or not; and then if it will be, what actually happens to my car and how soon can i see it back to me (and will it be unchanged or should i be worrying about customised bits that i should take out?)

Any advice welcome, being so young I've never had something this catastrophic happen so it's all a huge load on me right now :(

Manaz
26-04-2009, 12:58 PM
You have another PM. :)

Discuss your options with Max - he knows the game, and can do the other stuff you want done (whether he can slide it in on the job he'll know better than I).

Good luck with it dude!

Mrk_Mickey
26-04-2009, 03:06 PM
Who knows how much (ballpark figure, if it's not a set amount) my car will cost me to buy it back after it's written off, if that's the case?

DubSteve
26-04-2009, 03:08 PM
You let that front bar go I'll kill you!

Preen59
26-04-2009, 03:14 PM
Maybe you should think about a Mk4?? They're a much better car and newer and better on fuel (Yeah yeah i know they don't sound as good).

Only a suggestion dude. But it might be cheaper in the long run. Especially if you have to travel for your job. :)

Hahahaha yeah nice one steve. :nana:

Golf Loon
26-04-2009, 03:31 PM
Who knows how much (ballpark figure, if it's not a set amount) my car will cost me to buy it back after it's written off, if that's the case?

The insurance company will send out an assessor who will value your car, say $6000. You say you want the salvage of the wreck, they will let you have it for eg $1500, so they send you a cheque for $4500 and you own the car.

If you can get it fixed for that much or less, you win, but you have to do the running around.

Plus the other drivers insurance company decide on the numbers which is not so good.

Better if you find a repairer you are happy with, get a quote and send it to her insurance company for payment. They may request three quotes, but will always go with the cheapest.

There are diferent categories of write off. Yours would be beyond economical repair. It can be fixed, but will cost as much as the car is worth.

Ring around and then go and talk to some good panelbeaters.

I know some in this area if you get stuck, but local would be better for you.

Mrk_Mickey
26-04-2009, 04:23 PM
BAHA dude that's mine regardless :nana:

Maybe you should think about a Mk4?? They're a much better car and newer and better on fuel (Yeah yeah i know they don't sound as good).

Only a suggestion dude. But it might be cheaper in the long run. Especially if you have to travel for your job. :)
I've thought about this; I think I agree..we'll see how tomorrow pans out I suppose.

The insurance company will send out an assessor who will value your car, say $6000. You say you want the salvage of the wreck, they will let you have it for eg $1500, so they send you a cheque for $4500 and you own the car.

If you can get it fixed for that much or less, you win, but you have to do the running around.

Plus the other drivers insurance company decide on the numbers which is not so good.

Better if you find a repairer you are happy with, get a quote and send it to her insurance company for payment. They may request three quotes, but will always go with the cheapest.

There are diferent categories of write off. Yours would be beyond economical repair. It can be fixed, but will cost as much as the car is worth.

Ring around and then go and talk to some good panelbeaters.

I know some in this area if you get stuck, but local would be better for you.

Shiza, is the wreck that much?!..

This is my thought...get another VR6 for whatever I can that is a good price. Then swap everything of mine into the new one and take out of the new one if needs be. Then just wreck my car out completely and sell off whatever i don't need or want and then I should come out on top..

Oh and the other thing my insurance company told me is that I don't have to do anything the other insurance tells me because i'm not involved. all they do is pay for my repair under their agreement of insurance with the other driver. I'd hope that if the car was written off that I'd be allowed to negotiate a price considering condition before the accident..VR6's just aren't that cheap at the moment because of economy and rarity.

h100vw
26-04-2009, 04:32 PM
I got my A3 back for $1000 from Shannons.

Gavin

The_Hawk
26-04-2009, 05:52 PM
The insurance company will send out an assessor who will value your car, say $6000.

Ah, the joy of agreed values ;) Beats relying on someone else to decide what your car is worth.

mikinoz
26-04-2009, 08:54 PM
This is bad news, but not as bad as I had imagined after you described it on MSN.

As for repair value, I had someone nudge the rear bar on the MKV and it is $950 for them to replace and colour match, so I am assuming 5 grand does not go far in bodyshops.

All the best with the repair!

gldgti
26-04-2009, 09:32 PM
i had a rear hit in my mk3 last year.

my comprehensive insurance with shannons had the car value at $6k. the repair came to about $4k. (respray 2 rear quarters, new tailgate, new bumper, new vr6 tails... panelbeat rear panel).

got it through "just".

my guess would say your repair bill will come to about $3k. you should be right as long as the car is valued at over $6k.

good luck.

needless to say, after i had my car repaired, i also got it revalued :-D

AusScare
26-04-2009, 10:27 PM
Ah, the joy of agreed values ;) Beats relying on someone else to decide what your car is worth.

I just asked for a valuation of $5.5k (purchase price) on my mk2 gti and AAMI gave it to me, even after originally saying it was $4.2k or something.

So they must have a bit of leway in terms of negotiations in that area.

Mrk_Mickey
26-04-2009, 11:07 PM
i had a rear hit in my mk3 last year.

my comprehensive insurance with shannons had the car value at $6k. the repair came to about $4k. (respray 2 rear quarters, new tailgate, new bumper, new vr6 tails... panelbeat rear panel).

got it through "just".

my guess would say your repair bill will come to about $3k. you should be right as long as the car is valued at over $6k.

good luck.

I just asked for a valuation of $5.5k (purchase price) on my mk2 gti and AAMI gave it to me, even after originally saying it was $4.2k or something.

So they must have a bit of leway in terms of negotiations in that area.

Cheers guys, that makes me feel a bit better :). As far as I'm concerned, my current insurance states in writing that it's insured for 7k, and considering what every VR6 I know about has sold for and the sudden rarity of the cars, the only price I will accept is going to be higher than 7k ;)

My stepdad called his company's repairer today as well. He repairs all of the new BMW's so he must be pretty good haha...I'm going to him as one of my three quotes tomorrow so I think I'll be looked after wherever I go.

Mrk_Mickey
26-04-2009, 11:11 PM
Oh and just quickly...

I can't thank you lot enough for the little bits of support here and there. What with recommended companies and the advice offered, I don't think I'd be half as level-minded as I am now (if that's what you'd call it.....) without you lot, so thanks. :drinkbeer:

mikinoz
27-04-2009, 08:07 AM
someone needs to day it, but i think that looks like it will buff right out to me! :drink:

Mrk_Mickey
27-04-2009, 08:54 AM
someone needs to day it, but i think that looks like it will buff right out to me! :drink:

HAHAHA I was waiting for one of those! I spose it's cos I'm way too attached to my car and everyone knows that, so they don't wanna be rude.So uhh, THANKS MICK... :nana:

Pullstarter
27-04-2009, 10:59 AM
Massive bad luck Mickey :( I hope it all works out for you bruzz.

goodfella
27-04-2009, 11:15 AM
....my current insurance states in writing that it's insured for 7k...

My understanding (from exp 10 yrs ago) if your car is insured for 7k and its a write-off, you should hit up your insurer for that and its their job to deal with the other insurer to recover the funds. Thats why we pay insurance, is it not?! If it were down to market value, then why have an cover figure in the insurance policy?

Has this changed in recent years?

VW GTI
27-04-2009, 11:18 AM
My understanding (from exp 10 yrs ago) if your car is insured for 7k and its a write-off, you should hit up your insurer for that and its their job to deal with the other insurer to recover the funds. Thats why we pay insurance, is it not?! If it were down to market value, then why have an cover figure in the insurance policy?

Has this changed in recent years?

Now it's a choice. Agreed or Market Value. Obviously if agreed value is higher than market your premium may be slightly higher.

goodfella
27-04-2009, 11:30 AM
I understand the premium pricing, I was referring to the payout in the the event of an accy.... If Mickey's current policy states 7k (agreed or other), then thats the figure he should receive on write-off. Then its up to him to make arrangements for buying back the "wreck".

Mickey, a quick call your insurer with the right questions should give you more peice of mind, they will shed more light on their policies rather than running to different repairers. Just dont commit to an binding agreeements, only ask for info.

Mrk_Mickey
27-04-2009, 12:13 PM
What I've been told is that seeing as my insurance is only third party and not comprehensive, my insurance company won't actually do anything; ie they're not involved. They've told me that I have to organise it with the NRMA and get quotes or whatnot, then I should get it assessed by NRMA so that the whole price figures become official, and then the car can be fixed provided the damage costs don't exceed 75% of the value of the car (whether or not I can haggle that value I'm not sure).

Anyways after speaking to someone today I've booked it in for assessment. I'll hear back from the repairer when he has information; he'll tell me when to come in to get it assessed and we'll go from there. If the NRMA say that it won't need to be written off, I'll be getting practically half the car resprayed (yay). If the NRMA reckon it should be written off, it doesn't actually HAVE to be written off then...I can agree to a cash settlement with the NRMA for what my car was worth, minus what it is worth in 'wreck' condition. Ie car's value 7k minus 1.5k for the car, and i get my car back and 5.5k. Then I can do whatever I like with it.

Mrk_Mickey
27-04-2009, 05:19 PM
Uh-ohh........

Repairer rang me back to say it's booked for an assessment next monday morning. Unfortunately, he reckons that NRMA uses www.glassguide.com.au for car valuations and that won't swing much even though mine is in good condition....so at BEST i might get it valued at 5.8k. F***ING GREAT.

mikinoz
27-04-2009, 05:30 PM
At 5.8K you will get that repaired, even if it is a write off.

Through no fault of your own, your car has been damaged. You have the right to get it repaired.

6K is peanuts compared to some costs that they have to pay out.

Best of luck mate.

fuzion
27-04-2009, 05:49 PM
ouch thats nasty dude! least the other driver was alright too!

i remember one night i was driving and i saw a car weaving a bit behind me, 30 sec later it went straight into a e34 5 series that i just passed... ouch!

your welcome to call Damian / Dave @ Jade Auto in Rosebery (9663-0427) .. tell them i sent you. I'll make sure he does your wheels for you too :) LOL

he will tell you straight out what he can do for you and work it out so you will end up knowing if you will lose it/so you can strip it there etc..

good luck dude!

chris.
27-04-2009, 07:30 PM
really sorry to see man

but this might make you feel alittle better
when my first vr6 (1994 - silver - 250 000kms - and simalar mods as yours) had its small engine bay fire my insurance company wrote it off and i got 6.5k minus 1.5k (which was my exese) and they gave me the car back FREE! all i had to pay for was the tow from aami to my house
:)
so you might have good come out of this?

best of luck with it anyway :D

Mrk_Mickey
28-04-2009, 03:56 PM
ouch thats nasty dude! least the other driver was alright too!

i remember one night i was driving and i saw a car weaving a bit behind me, 30 sec later it went straight into a e34 5 series that i just passed... ouch!

your welcome to call Damian / Dave @ Jade Auto in Rosebery (9663-0427) .. tell them i sent you. I'll make sure he does your wheels for you too :) LOL

he will tell you straight out what he can do for you and work it out so you will end up knowing if you will lose it/so you can strip it there etc..

good luck dude!

Cheers Pierre, I'd like to get in touch with them because people have always said good things about them. To be honest I haven't actually been given a straight QUOTE yet either, so I might go see them tomorrow. Will going to them and getting a quote make anything complicated with the assessment on monday?? I reckon Jade Auto would be a better place to get my car repaired than where it's getting assessed, so if they give me good news I'd prefer to ''leave it with them'' sort of thing.

Mrk_Mickey
03-05-2009, 03:46 PM
Okay well I've finished cleaning it within an inch of its life (that includes spare wheel well and ALL of the door jambs (the bits that are impossible to get):duh:) so hopefully the guy assessing it won't insult me by valuing it badly while its in good condition..

Fingers crossed!

rayray086
03-05-2009, 05:05 PM
Good luck with it Mickey.

Preen59
03-05-2009, 06:11 PM
Good luck with it Mickey.

^^ What Ray said. :drinkbeer:

Don't back down from the insurer too easily too. Make sure you get what you believe is fair and don't let them walk over you. :)

zz2
03-05-2009, 10:38 PM
far out that sucks Mickeys! hope it gets fixed asap

unfortunately when ever my parents come and tell me about my car getting damaged its because they did it... my dad took it out the other night and curbed my front right wheel :brutal:

Mrk_Mickey
03-05-2009, 11:58 PM
^^ What Ray said. :drinkbeer:

Don't back down from the insurer too easily too. Make sure you get what you believe is fair and don't let them walk over you. :)

It's do or die with them unfortunately, I know that all too well because my parents have let insurance walk all over them for a long time, and ever since I could comprehend finance I've been disgusted with it. TRUST ME when I say that won't be happening. I'm as stubborn as all hell with most things, and I'm sure all of you could just imagine what it would be like when my pride and joy is involved.... :nana:

This is my argument: I was asleep in my home, with my car legally parked on the edge of my street that can fit four cars at once, when the accident happened. Therefore, your client who hit my vehicle is solely responsible and due to your decision to insure them that falls completely on you. It's my right to have my property restored to what it was before the incident occurred, and if that means extra expenses for you where supposedly deemed unnecessary, then so be it. i WILL have my vehicle restored to its previous condition at your expense and I WILL NOT be inconvenienced at any time while my vehicle is being repaired by not having a vehicle to use as transport.

Suck on that, NRMA.

Preen59
04-05-2009, 12:11 AM
It's do or die with them unfortunately, I know that all too well because my parents have let insurance walk all over them for a long time, and ever since I could comprehend finance I've been disgusted with it. TRUST ME when I say that won't be happening. I'm as stubborn as all hell with most things, and I'm sure all of you could just imagine what it would be like when my pride and joy is involved.... :nana:

This is my argument: I was asleep in my home, with my car legally parked on the edge of my street that can fit four cars at once, when the accident happened. Therefore, your client who hit my vehicle is solely responsible and due to your decision to insure them that falls completely on you. It's my right to have my property restored to what it was before the incident occurred, and if that means extra expenses for you where supposedly deemed unnecessary, then so be it. i WILL have my vehicle restored to its previous condition at your expense and I WILL NOT be inconvenienced at any time while my vehicle is being repaired by not having a vehicle to use as transport.

Suck on that, NRMA.

**Generally** speaking, the NRMA are pretty good. Just sucks you're with AAMI because their customer service is sht. If you were both with NRMA they'd e much more inclined to play ball with you. :)

Mrk_Mickey
04-05-2009, 12:16 AM
I'm actually with just car (because of mods and i'm only third party anyway) but I don't think the NRMA actually know that...unless they've retrieved that information which I didn't think they were allowed to do, even in this case?

The_Hawk
04-05-2009, 08:42 AM
I have been through a case where clearly the other party was at fault and hit me, while I was stopped at a set of lights, pushing me into the stopped car in front, pushing that into the stopped car in front of it... while doing 60... yeah right... Anyway, my car was a write off.

While I was comprehensively insured we hadn't got around to increasing the insurance value on the car after a ground up rebuild (stupid I know, but I was young), so I went direct to the other guys company (GIO) and said here is the value (which they didn't dispute) pay up.

The accident was the Friday, they came to assess on Monday and said give us a couple of weeks for the paperwork, then 4 weeks later when I ring them, the SAME DUDE, says "you're not insured with us, we are not doing anything for you"...

Long story short Lawyer + 1.5 years = $$

While I didn't get the full value, I did get much more than I would have got through my insurer, so in that respect I'm lucky. Also, the car was on the market at the time so I was on the hunt for a new car anyway and could afford to get a loan for the new one so it wasn't all bad.

Hopefully your case goes much more smoothly. As for who should be paying what, the current listings are -

While redbook isn't everything, here are their numbers:
* Private Price Guide $5,400 - $7,200
* Trade In Price Guide $3,200 - $5,000
* Average Km 195,000 - 325,000

Carsales currently have VR6's for $5,900 to $8,500 (there is ONE at $10,500 the rest are under $8,500).

If they don't want to fix it I would be aiming at the top end, offering $1,000 for the wreck and telling them you will fix it yourself. Then negotiate from there.

Oh, besides all that, while it will be nice to deal with the insurer if they pay up, the reality is your beef is with the individual driving the car, it's their problem how they pay for it. You can always get repair quotes, then write a letter of demand (registered through the court) and have it handed to them by the sherrif's office... It can take some time, but it can end up being your only option.

Mrk_Mickey
04-05-2009, 10:58 AM
Cheers Aaron, I didn't know some of that so that helps :)

I've been told that the NRMA use glassguide.com.au for car assessments...and he told me the figure on my car privately is what redbook says the trade in is...basically I have three arguments: a) my car is insured for 7k written on paper so that should count for something, b) (this one was told to me by an NRMA worker who is a mate of mine) there is an identical VR6 on carpoint for 9,100 with more km's than mine, and that should give me a better value; c) provided I will need to replace the car, I'm going to NEED at least 6-7k in my pocket to buy one that won't fall apart.

Mrk_Mickey
04-05-2009, 04:44 PM
I don't know if it's possible to actually insult me any further...

The assessor valued my car today and looked at the damage. He reckons my car is worth 4k so it will be written off.

Guess who's going to probably have to go to court, yaaayyy.... :duh:

mollins
04-05-2009, 06:05 PM
that sucks man.. 4k is ridiculous for such a nice vr6.. good luck mate.

Mrk_Mickey
04-05-2009, 06:44 PM
Thanks dude :) If only I could win them over on the public's opinion eh :???:

Jarred
04-05-2009, 06:57 PM
Thanks dude :) If only I could win them over on the public's opinion eh :???:

if only mate. Whole situation suck. evauluation is pityful too.

BL33SU
04-05-2009, 07:01 PM
$4k :duh:

insult

Treza360
04-05-2009, 07:07 PM
Seriously that's ****ed mate. Don't think I can read this thread anymore until everything gets sorted, so mad. Let me know when that happens so I don't have to get so pissed off all the time...
Cheers,
Trent

The_Hawk
04-05-2009, 07:30 PM
At the moment you are at the mercy of the other persons insurer who wants to get out of this as cheap as possible.

Get the car independantly valued (by someone reputable (or a couple of people)) and serve the driver with a letter of demand for the repair value or if it needs to be a write off, the value - a reasonable salvage cost.
It costs about $50 to have it served by the sherrif, but it has a nice impact when delivered that way. This also means they have 30 days (or something like that) to respond. It will also will start a nice paper trail for if you have to go to court. Get all the quotes in writing, get the salvage values in writing. Get all the photo's of your car showing it's good condition.
Make notes of EVERYTHING that is said including time and date. This includes the short convo's with the insurer, the other driver, the assessor, the courts, EVERYONE.

At the end of the day if you front up in court organised, with all the facts, photo's notes, quotes and otherwise, there is a damn good chance they will have minimal information and will loose.

At the same time it's worth giving the insurer a chance to make good (although I wouldn't be waiting for them). In short come up with a number your happy with and put it to them. Remember that they will have to pay to go to court and the other driver will most likely have to take a day off work to be there too.

Lets say it's $7k - $1,500 salvage = $5,500 fo you to walk away with your "wreck". Do they really want to screw around for the sake of an extra $1,500 in cash?

At the end of the day put EVERYTHING on the other driver, not her insurer.

Mrk_Mickey
04-05-2009, 07:58 PM
Seriously that's ****ed mate. Don't think I can read this thread anymore until everything gets sorted, so mad. Let me know when that happens so I don't have to get so pissed off all the time...
Cheers,
Trent

Haha sorry mate, you will easily be able to imagine my state of mind then :nana:. I am currently awaiting the call from the NRMA, and when he calls me I know what to do. In simple terms, I need to prove to him with my argument and evidence that my car is worth more than 4k.

The_Hawk
04-05-2009, 08:23 PM
Haha sorry mate, you will easily be able to imagine my state of mind then :nana:. I am currently awaiting the call from the NRMA, and when he calls me I know what to do. In simple terms, I need to prove to him with my argument and evidence that my car is worth more than 4k.

Like I said, work out your numbers first and start with I will not accept anything below $x,xxx in cash + keeping my car to repair myself.

thestu
04-05-2009, 10:47 PM
dude thats f***ed! :(

hope you sort all this crap out! i hate insurance companies!

SoVeReIgN
04-05-2009, 10:55 PM
Insurance companies and panel beaters are all ****s.

Thats all, you've got good advice from people in this thread so far.

AusScare
04-05-2009, 11:04 PM
Bloody hell $4k, how do they think you're going to replace your car with that much. Cheapest carsales vr6 is $5.9k near you. Rediculous.

Manaz
05-05-2009, 07:07 AM
Insurance companies and panel beaters are all ****s.

That's unfair. There are some good panel beaters around.

I know a good lawyer if you don't have one already Mickey.

The other alternative now is to run it through your own insurance. You won't have to pay an excess (because you can name the at-fault driver), and they're more likely to side with you on value because they will go and claim the money from the other driver's insurance. If they have your car valued at $7k, you're likely to get more money out of them than you are out of the other insurer. If they try to tell you that you have to get the car repaired by their preferred repairer, tell them it's already in a shop and has been pulled apart already for assessment, and it's not convenient for you to get it moved - since someone else is paying, they shouldn't be too difficult with it.

RedMk2Gti
05-05-2009, 08:30 AM
That is the reason I never insure my car with market value. Pay a bit more for agreed value to avoid all these headache . Good luck mate.

Mrk_Mickey
05-05-2009, 09:13 AM
That is the reason I never insure my car with market value. Pay a bit more for agreed value to avoid all these headache . Good luck mate.

That is exactly what my mate was talking to me about last night. I'm insured on agreed value also :)

static1800
05-05-2009, 09:15 AM
I hate insurance companies, I got ripped off nearly half my payout from nrma when my last mk1 was written off.

Try what Manaz said, may or may not be possible at this point.

best of luck with it all.

RedMk2Gti
06-05-2009, 03:31 PM
That is exactly what my mate was talking to me about last night. I'm insured on agreed value also :)

I lost u Mickey, if you insured your car for 7K and they now decided to write it off, you'll have 7K in your pocket not 4K (no matter how much they evaluated your car), right ?

dubbed
06-05-2009, 03:48 PM
I lost u Mickey, if you insured your car for 7K and they now decided to write it off, you'll have 7K in your pocket not 4K (no matter how much they evaluated your car), right ?

Yeah that doesn't make sense. Plus I don't think you can do agreed value on third party.

DubSteve
06-05-2009, 05:02 PM
Also with that when my purple VR was hit I got 7.5k for it and the car back cause insurance didnt want it!

Golf Loon
06-05-2009, 08:47 PM

I agree. You need to have fully comp and agree a value.
I overinsure all my cars, to avoid pain like this.
The only benefit to being over 30 and living in a country postcode is it doesnt cost too much :)

Where you are at now Mickey, do what the Hawk says and get your insurance company involved. If they wont, get a lawyer to write the other drive a letter of demand.

Soundofav6
06-05-2009, 10:01 PM
Damn Mickey !!!! Haven't been online for only a few months and I wake up to this...

Good luck with it all.

Mrk_Mickey
06-05-2009, 11:10 PM
Yeah that doesn't make sense. Plus I don't think you can do agreed value on third party.
On my third party policy, they clearly have written: Value of car agreed to cover: 7k. A mate of mine went through something almost identical to me recently and he got stung for market value because he didn't do agreed value. He told me he was told (by a smash repairer) it doesn't matter what insurance policy you have with an insurer, as long as your policy states that your car is under an agreed value, that's what you get no matter who is involved. Hopefully that gives me a leg to stand on when this LAZY SON OF A FEMALE DOG actually rings me.

Also with that when my purple VR was hit I got 7.5k for it and the car back cause insurance didnt want it!
Man that sounds like a great idea! That would be my goal if I had to write the car off lol.

I agree. You need to have fully comp and agree a value.
I overinsure all my cars, to avoid pain like this.
The only benefit to being over 30 and living in a country postcode is it doesnt cost too much :)

Where you are at now Mickey, do what the Hawk says and get your insurance company involved. If they wont, get a lawyer to write the other drive a letter of demand.

I'm currently awaiting the call, and then I'll play it out and see how the ''negotiations'' go...at the end of the day my mate's brother is some bigshot lawyer so he'll be able to help me if I need it. Cheers for the advice :).

RedMk2Gti
07-05-2009, 08:32 AM
Sorry Mickey, I had an impression that you have comprehensive policy.

I'm no legal or insurance expert, just think about this in logical matter
If you only have third party insurance and you hit Mr.A's car and you are at fault, your third party policy covers Mr A car damage, your car damage is not covered.
On the other hand, if Mr. A hit you and it's his fault, His insurance company covers your damage, this is where that 'agreed value' grey area, you don't have your own insurance to cover your damage, and Mr A insurance policy doesn't have a agreed value for your car, that's why Mr A insurance company need to evaluate your car and came up 4K ! (whether 4K is a fair value, that's different arguement)

If you pull out your PDS to read in detail you may be able to understand where is that agreed value applied, without a lawyer involved.

Once again my mate has advised me, never buy third party insurance, you'll always has some kind of headache when something happen :duh:

dubbed
07-05-2009, 09:07 AM
^^ What he said.

Unless you're going through your own insurance it won't be covered for 'agreed' value.

Mrk_Mickey
07-05-2009, 11:59 AM
Well my mate is in the same predicament and he was told that if he DID have agreed value, even though he wasn't at fault and it went through the other insurer, he would be paid his agreed value.

I mean at the end of the day it comes down to common sense (but obviously they will disagree technically lol)... I pay a slightly higher premium for a reason. I don't wanna get fhuked up when something kills my car.

gregozedobe
07-05-2009, 06:57 PM
I don't see how an "agreed value" means anything when you have only got 3rd party property coverage, as by definition that doesn't give you cover on your car. If you had fire and theft as well as 3rd party property coverage, then the agreed value would be your payout figure (minus any excess) if your car was toasted or stolen.

Mrk_Mickey
07-05-2009, 07:00 PM
i've got property, fire and theft...so the agreed value is there for the last two. :) I pay a slightly higher premium because I chose agreed value instead of automated market value and because of that, supposedly states i'm entitled to what i'm insured for...

I still haven't got a fking call back from the assessor!! time for another call to the NRMA tomorrow methinks...

thekraut
07-05-2009, 07:11 PM
I don't see how an "agreed value" means anything when you have only got 3rd party property coverage, as by definition that doesn't give you cover on your car. If you had fire and theft as well as 3rd party property coverage, then the agreed value would be your payout figure (minus any excess) if your car was toasted or stolen.

+1

As far as I was aware, Property + Fire + Theft covers:

Property - Everyones, except yours.
Fire - Agreed value if you chose that option
Theft - Agreed value if you chose that option

Only when your car is comprehensively insured does it allow agreed value on your own property in the event of collision damage.

In any event, I feel for ya mate and the situation truly does suck! You may be able to take it to a claims court and sue the other owner for negligent damage, inconvenience and all associated costs if you're willing to put up with the time, paper work and red tape.

Rocket36
08-05-2009, 08:00 AM
thekraut has it right... There is no such thing as "agreed value" for damage to your own car if you are at fault. "agreed value" will cover it in the event it's stolen and written off or burnt out and written off.

Where there's some grey area and you will need to read your policy - you know the thick book that outlines all the terms and conditions you're agreeing to when taking out the policy - is when someone else causes damage and it's THEIR insurance that pays. Most likely, you will get market value in the event it's written off because of the fact that "agreed value" only applies to theft and fire damage.

But it's still beyond me why people don't take out comprehensive agreed value coverage. It means situations like this are avoided completely. If you can't afford comprehensive insurance on a car, then you need to question whether or not you're in a situation to afford the car or afford to replace it AT YOUR EXPENSE. Personally, anyting less than $5k is not worth it. I have used to have a daily run around car. Cost me $2k. Only had 3rd Party Property. If it was written off, **** it - just buy another one! lol

Mrk_Mickey
08-05-2009, 09:02 AM
Okay...I'm 18 years old, I own a V6'd golf and the original insurance taken out was for 7k. If I'd have undertaken a comprehensive policy with ANY insurer, I'd be paying literally half the cost of my car per year in premiums, and if anything happened there'd be 1600-1800 dollars excess.

Who think's that's worth it?
Can we stop talking about comprehensive insurance now?

Treza360
08-05-2009, 09:35 AM
But it's still beyond me why people don't take out comprehensive agreed value coverage.
Whilst this is nice in theory I think you have forgotten what it's like being a male under 25 and a student/apprentice at the same time.
Being slugged several thousand dollars for a car worth less than $10k it's basically impossible to justify that kind of expense when you're only making at best three or four hundred dollars a week.

If it was just some daily ****box as you said then yes you can handle it being written off. Also if through his own stupidity he wrote it off then yeah he would just have to live with it.

Driving a car that you clearly love and is not just some means of getting from A to B is another kettle of fish altogether and maybe yes if you love it that much then maybe you should have comprehensive but for some people it's just not feasible.

What I'm basically getting at is maybe instead of posting sommething slightly negative and antagonistic in your post. Maybe be a bit more supportive and sympathetic to Mickey's situation. I know it you're just being a "realist", but it doesn't change or help the situation in any way.

Cheers,
Trent

(I know I said I wasn't going to keep reading this thread but yeah...)
Edit: Sorry didn't see your post above Mickey. Took me a while before I submitted this one...

VW Convert
08-05-2009, 10:25 AM
Hey Mickey,

Bad situation you are in through no fault of your own. All I can say is when you do receive an offer from the insurer that you stand up to them and challenge their valuation of your car. You should be compiling evidence as to the value of your car i.e. copies of current ads etc. and let them know that you will not allow tham to run roughshod over you. Something to be clear on, the insurance company does not have a God given right to determine the value of your car, if push comes to shove, they must be able to justify their figure just as you must be able to justify your figure.

Perhaps there are members of this forum who have bought similar cars in recent times that would be prepared to provide details of their cars and the price they paid which would be irrefutable evidence of the true market value of your car. In a case such as yours, this forum should be a powerful tool for you, let's hear from the members who can help in this regard.

Cheers

George

Rocket36
08-05-2009, 10:27 AM
I'm not having a go at anyone in particular. Just based on my experience (and as has been said I am a realist), I have never had a comprehensive policy cost more than $1200 - even when I was under 25! And my first car was a $1200 datto, when I was 17. 3rd Party Property ONLY.

Mr Messy
08-05-2009, 10:32 AM
I drive a Mk4 GTI valued under $20k. I'm male, 22 and live in Sydney. I was quoted between $2000 and $5000 per annum for comprehensive insurance.

Other cars I looked at included 200sx (none less than $4000) WRX (ditto) and Liberty B4 (starts at $3000) although all of these are quicker cars.

VW Convert
08-05-2009, 10:32 AM
I'm not having a go at anyone in particular. Just based on my experience (and as has been said I am a realist), I have never had a comprehensive policy cost more than $1200 - even when I was under 25! And my first car was a $1200 datto, when I was 17. 3rd Party Property ONLY.

Wish I could get my Jetta insurance down to $1200. I suspect insurance in Sydney is significantly dearer than ACT.

Cheers

George

fuzion
08-05-2009, 10:40 AM
Wish I could get my Jetta insurance down to $1200. I suspect insurance in Sydney is significantly dearer than ACT.

Cheers

George

Mine is $1760 i think inc ALL mods on my vehicle, not cheap but i wouldn't have it ANY other way!

mikinoz
08-05-2009, 12:26 PM
Insurance premiums have climbed recently, as well as green slip prices.

It is all a bit of a rort, covering the cost of all the dodgey claims and then adding a bit so the companies can profit.

I still believe that you can ask for them (other insurance company) to find you an equivalent car if they write it off as an economical write off. And you do not have to agree to anything that they offer you. Keep being a thorn until they cough up.

Mrk_Mickey
08-05-2009, 01:47 PM
Whilst this is nice in theory I think you have forgotten what it's like being a male under 25 and a student/apprentice at the same time.
Being slugged several thousand dollars for a car worth less than $10k it's basically impossible to justify that kind of expense when you're only making at best three or four hundred dollars a week.

If it was just some daily ****box as you said then yes you can handle it being written off. Also if through his own stupidity he wrote it off then yeah he would just have to live with it.

Driving a car that you clearly love and is not just some means of getting from A to B is another kettle of fish altogether and maybe yes if you love it that much then maybe you should have comprehensive but for some people it's just not feasible.

What I'm basically getting at is maybe instead of posting sommething slightly negative and antagonistic in your post. Maybe be a bit more supportive and sympathetic to Mickey's situation. I know it you're just being a "realist", but it doesn't change or help the situation in any way.

Cheers,
Trent

(I know I said I wasn't going to keep reading this thread but yeah...)
Edit: Sorry didn't see your post above Mickey. Took me a while before I submitted this one...

Thanks for that mate, I appreciate it. :)

Perhaps there are members of this forum who have bought similar cars in recent times that would be prepared to provide details of their cars and the price they paid which would be irrefutable evidence of the true market value of your car. In a case such as yours, this forum should be a powerful tool for you, let's hear from the members who can help in this regard.

Cheers

George
What a great idea! I mean of course I'm piling up the evidence and arguments with reasons to suggest the car is worth more likely DOUBLE what they think it's worth, but showing hard evidence of sales from people I can get in touch with is just so much better.

I'm MORE than happy to get in touch with some VR6 owners/sellers on here if they want to give me some hard evidence to show the market value! :) If anyone is willing please shoot me a PM or something.

I still believe that you can ask for them (other insurance company) to find you an equivalent car if they write it off as an economical write off. And you do not have to agree to anything that they offer you. Keep being a thorn until they cough up.

Thorn all the way mate, lol. Can anyone actually confirm this? If so I'll strip my car back to stock and throw it at them asking for a new one :D

Manaz
08-05-2009, 02:01 PM
Shannons just quoted me less than $1000 (and no extra to pay by the month) to insure my Bora for $22k agreed value (full comprehensive), with mods (Haldex, swaybar, wheels, R32 brakes) listed and fully covered.

I am 32 with a clean driving and insurance record, so that probably helps.

Regardless, I strongly recommend anyone looking at insurance to give them a call. The two guys I spoke to over the phone were both interested in my car, what I had done, what plans I had, etc (and it wasn't fake interest, they were genuinely interested, asking questions, making comments/suggestions).

Jarred
08-05-2009, 02:06 PM
is just paid 550 for 3rd party, + fire & theft. for a old GLD, with justcar, so it'll cover my mods, where as RACV won't. And shannons won't even bother with me yet.

Comprehensive option was roughly 1700 a year! Fat chance. Price you pay for being young and having a modified car. and being male.

Mrk_Mickey
08-05-2009, 02:11 PM
is just paid 550 for 3rd party, + fire & theft. for a old GLD, with justcar, so it'll cover my mods, where as RACV won't. And shannons won't even bother with me yet.

Comprehensive option was roughly 1700 a year! Fat chance. Price you pay for being young and having a modified car. and being male.

Aaaaaaaand there's the money shot. That's what I'm saying, it's pointless trying to comprehensively insure ANYTHING until you're far, far away from 'kid' years.

WABIT
08-05-2009, 02:41 PM
mine is $1,040 full comp with shannons and ive listed all the mods and they have seen it

dom

Rocket36
10-05-2009, 07:42 PM
Aaaaaaaand there's the money shot. That's what I'm saying, it's pointless trying to comprehensively insure ANYTHING until you're far, far away from 'kid' years.

You must have missed my post. Most I've EVER paid since getting my P's when I was 17 for full comprehensive is $1200.

VW Convert
10-05-2009, 08:09 PM
You must have missed my post. Most I've EVER paid since getting my P's when I was 17 for full comprehensive is $1200.

With all respect, perhaps you should have read some of the other posts on this topic. I can't get my car insured for $1,200 and I'm in my fifties with an excellent insurance history and driving record.

FYI, I just got an online quote from GIO for a VR6 at age 18, resident in Mickey's area without any no claims discount. Their insured value was $6,700 and the premium quoted was $4,417. Your suggestion that Mickey should have been comprehensively insured is clearly ludicrous. Time to lay off the kid and make useful suggestions that may assist him.

Cheers

George

VW Convert
10-05-2009, 08:20 PM
Hey Mickey,

Here's a way to produce an irrefutable argument about the value of your car. Get a quote for agreed value insurance from NRMA, you can get one online. I just ran some numbers through on a 97 VR6 and it accepted an agreed value of $7,500, I saved a copy if you want it. No way could they argue against one of their own quotes.

Cheers

George

Preen59
10-05-2009, 08:24 PM
With all respect, perhaps you should have read some of the other posts on this topic. I can't get my car insured for $1,200 and I'm in my fifties with an excellent insurance history and driving record.

FYI, I just got an online quote from GIO for a VR6 at age 18, resident in Mickey's area without any no claims discount. Their insured value was $6,700 and the premium quoted was $4,417. Your suggestion that Mickey should have been comprehensively insured is clearly ludicrous. Time to lay off the kid and make useful suggestions that may assist him.

Cheers

George

I very much agree, George.

Insurance premiums have sky rocketed in the past years, especially for younger drivers. I am paying 1200 dollars at 22 with no accidents living in a country town, driving a diesel commercial vehicle.

The problem is that the vehicle isn't worth comprehensively insuring when you consider the cost of the premium, plus the excess Mickey would have to pay anyway.

Disappointing, but that's the way it goes.

How's it going , Mick? :)

Mrk_Mickey
10-05-2009, 08:38 PM
Hey Mickey,

Here's a way to produce an irrefutable argument about the value of your car. Get a quote for agreed value insurance from NRMA, you can get one online. I just ran some numbers through on a 97 VR6 and it accepted an agreed value of $7,500, I saved a copy if you want it. No way could they argue against one of their own quotes.

Cheers

George
That's actually the first thing I did :) I have a print-out of agreed-value $8,500. I was actually thinking of ringing them and asking them about a car I wished to buy, asking if I would be able to comprehensively insure it for an agreed value of 8,500, then recording the name of the rep and the time of call too.

I very much agree, George.

Insurance premiums have sky rocketed in the past years, especially for younger drivers. I am paying 1200 dollars at 22 with no accidents living in a country town, driving a diesel commercial vehicle.

The problem is that the vehicle isn't worth comprehensively insuring when you consider the cost of the premium, plus the excess Mickey would have to pay anyway.

Disappointing, but that's the way it goes.

How's it going , Mick? :)

After the third call to the NRMA this week, there were notes in the system so I made them give me the assessor's number. I'm calling him at 8am tomorrow morning to ask why he hasn't called me after 7 days, and how he managed to get a number of 4k for my car.

Golf Loon
10-05-2009, 08:40 PM
I'm MORE than happy to get in touch with some VR6 owners/sellers on here if they want to give me some hard evidence to show the market value! :) If anyone is willing please shoot me a PM or something.

Mike VR6 just sold his for $7000 and he works for an insurance company. I`m sure he`ll write you something on headed paper if you ask him nicely.
I have his phone number, pm me if you want it.

Water Boy
10-05-2009, 08:40 PM
Im with Shannons full comp with suspension listed: $930 looks like I got a bargain :biggrin:

mikinoz
10-05-2009, 08:45 PM
Mick: Hello
Assessor: Hello
M: So you are an NRMA assessor right?
A: Yes
M: And you think that you are pretty good at your job?
M: Well, my name is Mick and I am calling from the national insurance assessors league and want to have a comversation regarding a valuation that you did recently that was off the mark that has now taken you out of contention from the assessor of the year award.*
A: Whoa
M: Well, there is this VR6...

*this award has a prize of 1 can of heinz baked beans.

Golf Loon
10-05-2009, 08:46 PM
Yeah I pay $1807 with Shannons to Comprehensively insure me and the Mrs and 3 Cars.
I have an Audi turbo Wagon with agreed value at $20k, Scirocco Turbo with agreed value of $15k and a Mk1 GTI, agreed value at $10k

Thats $45k of cover for that much which I think is a bargain. I realize some of it is multiple vehicle discount, but chuck in the fact that I get a free windscreen per car per year and Shannons are so helpful and its great.
I live in a country postcode and we are both early 30s with a few points and 85% NCD.

Basically, if its a special car, get agreed value or suffer like Mickey.

Hope it works out for you mate, keep chipping away at em.

Golf Loon
10-05-2009, 08:48 PM
M: Well, my name is Mick and I am calling from the national insurance assessors league and want to have a comversation regarding a valuation that you did recently that was off the mark that has now taken you out of contention from the assessor of the year award.*

Gold.
Nice

Preen59
10-05-2009, 08:57 PM
Hey Mickey,

Cheers

George

That is a VERY good idea. :)

Kiel_GTI
10-05-2009, 10:04 PM

if feaseable theres always the option of registering the car in one of your parents names and insuring under their name with you as the primary driver, thats what i do and at 19 years of age i pay about $1050 for my polo.

however sometimes people are not always able to do that.

Mrk_Mickey
10-05-2009, 10:07 PM
Mike VR6 just sold his for $7000 and he works for an insurance company. I`m sure he`ll write you something on headed paper if you ask him nicely.
I have his phone number, pm me if you want it.
PM sending.

Wanna try it for me dude? :nana:

Mrk_Mickey
13-05-2009, 01:02 PM
Ok so here's a quick update as I FINALLY got a call back from the NRMA today.

The person responsible for the whole ''settlement'' negotiations spoke to me and told me that the assessor valued the car in prior condition (ie before the accident) at $4,500, and they were then prepared to offer me 4,500 less the salvgaeable value of the car which is only 750, so $3750 plus my car in total.

I said to him that I couldn't do anything with that so I will be seeking advice and I will get back to him.

This was the advice given to me by a family friend's husband who is going to help me through all this. After ringing him back and explaining what was said today, he said that the repairer who he rents a warehouse to knows the head assessor of the NRMA over at Brookvale, and because I'm on third party property I can actually insist that my car be restored to prior condition; he also said that becuase I can still drive the car around that gives me even more defence that it's ludicrous to write off the vehicle.

I now need to get in touch with the repairer he knows and show him the car/explain what i need/want done, and then i'll leave the car with him to get it re-assessed (or something along those lines). The repairer will then go to the head assessor of the NRMA who should accept the new offer because he knows the repairer well.

So...NIGHTMARE, but there might be some light at the end of this tunnel. Wish me luck everyone :duh:

mikinoz
13-05-2009, 01:08 PM
because I'm on third party property I can actually insist that my car be restored to prior condition; he also said that becuase I can still drive the car around that gives me even more defence that it's ludicrous to write off the vehicle.

I was close.

DubSteve
13-05-2009, 01:25 PM
Take the money and the car and get it fixed what a hassle.

I can't understand why your car is only worth that much :?

Also I have just realised that when my purple golf was written off I could still drive it, just the B-pillar as completed farked!

Save your pennies and get your car redone completely.

Mrk_Mickey
13-05-2009, 01:35 PM
Take the money and the car and get it fixed what a hassle.

I can't understand why your car is only worth that much :?

Also I have just realised that when my purple golf was written off I could still drive it, just the B-pillar as completed farked!

Save your pennies and get your car redone completely.

I've just gotten off the phone with Gary, the bloke at the repairers who has said he will be able to get it re-assessed and hopefully worth more. Steve I don't wanna pay a cent for this so I'm happy to fight til I die so long as the insurance know I won't be giving up. lol...what a hassle indeed.

Jarred
13-05-2009, 03:28 PM
keep at it mickey. you've got patience mate

Mrk_Mickey
13-05-2009, 05:06 PM
Well I have to say I'm relieved :).

I went to see the panelbeater my family friend suggested, and let me tell you he was the nicest bloke in the trade that I've ever dealt with hands down. He completely understands the situation and wasn't afraid to be perfectly honest about all the costs and exactly how he'd go about repairing my car.

The payout figure of $3,750 that the NRMA are offering will easily cover the cost of the repair he says:). Despite that, I'm still going to tell the NRMA the least they could do instead of insulting me with $4,500 minus car value, is to give me the full $4,500..we'll see how we go. The car will go in for repairs most likely in two weeks time and it shouldn't be too long before it's completely back to normal.

I still hate insurance though!

mikepologti
14-05-2009, 06:15 AM
F#cking insurance companies are scammers.they try to get away with anything, if you give them half the chance.

thestu
14-05-2009, 08:04 AM
glad you get to get it fixed mickey :) stupid insurance companies!!!!

Mrk_Mickey
15-05-2009, 03:15 PM
Final update... :)

I accepted a reviewed offer of $4200 plus car ($4950-750 salvage value). That will cover repairs and probably some other stuff I've needed to do for a little while. :)

Thanks for everyone's advice; this is now finally over and I can completely disregard myself from anything and EVERYTING to do with the n-arse-m-a:)

Cheers!

Spyda
15-05-2009, 04:25 PM
Not all over mate, still have to deal with panel beaters haha.

Treza360
15-05-2009, 04:37 PM
Good to hear mate. Hopefully your panel beater is a good bloke and can do a top notch job for you and get her all back to straight and shiny. :)
Lesson from this I think is to park in front of another car maybe or up in the front yard if you can?
Cheers,
Trent

DubSteve
15-05-2009, 04:55 PM
Not all over mate, still have to deal with panel beaters haha.

Haha true and when a panel beater will say 3 weeks expect to not have a car for 5 weeks :D

Mrk_Mickey
15-05-2009, 05:30 PM
This guy said one week and his landlord (my family friend) vouched for that and said it's true...so i'm assuming 2 weeks lol :nana:

repairs shouldn't go above 3500 for everything including parts, so we're in the green for some other parts to replace and eventually a detail! woo!

Jarred
15-05-2009, 05:31 PM
good on ya mickey for sticking it out and getting the result that you're happy with!s

Golf Loon
16-05-2009, 07:39 PM
Good luck with the panelbeater.

Will your car be on REVS after this or not??

I also hate the NRMA.

Hope to see it roaring around soon.

DubSteve
16-05-2009, 07:46 PM
Thats not a weeks worth of damage, possibly 2!

My mk1 was in the panel beaters for 3 weeks and there was only 2.5k damage.

Golf Loon
16-05-2009, 07:47 PM
My Mk1 was at the panelbeaters for a year! I kept forgetting I owned it :duh:

Preen59
16-05-2009, 08:11 PM
My Mk1 was at the panelbeaters for a year! I kept forgetting I owned it :duh:

Same deal with mine dude.. :)

Rocket36
16-05-2009, 08:32 PM

Shouldn't be... It should be processed as a repairable write off. There is some documentation needed to get it re-registered though. Some sort of engineer's report or something. I don't know. But a repairable write-off shouldn't be listed on REVS afaik.

peedman
16-05-2009, 09:05 PM
Mickey said that it wont be written off, they will hand him a check to get the car fixed himself.

Rocket36
16-05-2009, 09:08 PM
Mickey said that it wont be written off, they will hand him a check to get the car fixed himself.

Then I'm confused...

Final update... :)

I accepted a reviewed offer of $4200 plus car ($4950-750 salvage value). That will cover repairs and probably some other stuff I've needed to do for a little while. :)

This looks like a repairable write-off to me. Especially when they're charging for "salvage" of the car.

AusScare
16-05-2009, 09:16 PM
Then I'm confused...

This looks like a repairable write-off to me. Especially when they're charging for "salvage" of the car.

Yea that's what the whole argument over agreed value has been about. It's definitely repairable, just too costly for them.

Rocket36
16-05-2009, 09:20 PM
It's all very strange sounding situation. Mickey wasn't at fault so it's the other driver's insurance that should pay for repairs or pay out the value if it's deemed too expensive to repair. Obviously the insurance company would want the cheaper option of the two.

The way I read it is that they wrote it off at $4950 and charged him $750 to buy the wreck. Hence he gets the car and $4200. If repairs are less than $4200 why would it be written off? The cheaper option would be to repair it.

Like I said, I'm confused! lol

The_Hawk
16-05-2009, 09:51 PM
The way I read it is that they wrote it off at $4950 and charged him $750 to buy the wreck. Hence he gets the car and $4200. If repairs are less than $4200 why would it be written off? The cheaper option would be to repair it.

Like I said, I'm confused! lol

For $5k it's not really worth their hassle, especially as it's possible for the bill to run over the "estimate"...

As for will they write it off formally... 50/50 I suppose, it's not a stat write off, it's just not "economically repairable" Hell a new light and it would just about pass a pink slip ;)

Golf Loon
16-05-2009, 10:07 PM
If its a repairable write off it will be on Revs. Meaning it has been written off by an Insurance company as beyond economic repair.

If it was a Statutory Write off, the VIN would be cancelled and it could never be re-registered.

Mickey should push just to get a cheque, and not to have the car recorded as a repairable write off as it then carries that identifier which makes it hard to sell later and worth less.

goodfella
16-05-2009, 10:25 PM
Once this gets repaired, I don't think Mickey will ever sell it... it won't be worthless it will be priceless!

SoVeReIgN
16-05-2009, 11:17 PM
NRMA are ****s, they were my insurance company, they sorted out a not at fault accident of mine and I will never be insuring another car with them.

Mrk_Mickey
17-05-2009, 11:17 AM
Good luck with the panelbeater.

I also hate the NRMA.

Hope to see it roaring around soon.

Shouldn't be... It should be processed as a repairable write off. There is some documentation needed to get it re-registered though. Some sort of engineer's report or something. I don't know. But a repairable write-off shouldn't be listed on REVS afaik.

The lady at NRMA who finalised the claim told me it wouldn't go on revs, rego wouldn't be any different and the rta aren't notified. the only people that know about the economic write-off status are me and the NRMA.

If it's any different, it's their problem to fix after she told me that ^^

If its a repairable write off it will be on Revs. Meaning it has been written off by an Insurance company as beyond economic repair.

If it was a Statutory Write off, the VIN would be cancelled and it could never be re-registered.

Mickey should push just to get a cheque, and not to have the car recorded as a repairable write off as it then carries that identifier which makes it hard to sell later and worth less.

Cheque is coming next week sometime :)

NRMA are ****s, they were my insurance company, they sorted out a not at fault accident of mine and I will never be insuring another car with them.

Yep. NOTE TO EVERYONE - DO NOT USE THE NRMA. It's not worth it. Unfortunately for them, every person I talk to about insurance will be advised not to use them. It's the least I can do ;).

Golf Loon
17-05-2009, 11:51 AM
The lady at NRMA who finalised the claim told me it wouldn't go on revs, rego wouldn't be any different and the rta aren't notified. the only people that know about the economic write-off status are me and the NRMA.

If it's any different, it's their problem to fix after she told me that ^^

Once its on REVS it can never be reversed, just make sure mate, thats all.

Mrk_Mickey
06-07-2009, 06:42 PM
Thread revival!

after 6 weeks of crap (he's been going to court three times a week, and we've been waiting for the right panels), I got it back today! Painted up, all perfect and very very shiny (with the obligatory crappy detailing marks) and I'm a happy chappy :)

Only thing is, it runs like CRAP! I need to have the timing and air/fuel ratio looked at on a dyno or whatevs...can anyone recommend somewhere I can go for that? I'll probably check the timing myself this weekend.

Jarred
06-07-2009, 06:59 PM
pics or it didn't happen! :P

Silver dub
06-07-2009, 08:05 PM
bet your relieved

maca
06-07-2009, 08:54 PM
Thread revival!

after 6 weeks of crap (he's been going to court three times a week, and we've been waiting for the right panels), I got it back today! Painted up, all perfect and very very shiny (with the obligatory crappy detailing marks) and I'm a happy chappy :)

Only thing is, it runs like CRAP! I need to have the timing and air/fuel ratio looked at on a dyno or whatevs...can anyone recommend somewhere I can go for that? I'll probably check the timing myself this weekend.
Congrats Mickey.. Good to see that it's back in safe arms. Now I better not see you on MSN for the next 2 weeks.. Got it?

And I second what Jarred said.. Pics or die :)

Preen59
06-07-2009, 09:29 PM
pics or it didn't happen! :P

Yep.... :pics:

rayray086
06-07-2009, 09:49 PM
Good stuff Mickey :bigok:

Stan
06-07-2009, 09:53 PM
glad it's back together, let's see the end result

Stan
06-07-2009, 10:00 PM
glad it's back together, let's see the end result

Dubdubdubdot
06-07-2009, 10:17 PM
Fnck yer!
Good onya mate~

Mrk_Mickey
06-07-2009, 10:54 PM
Haha cheers guys...unfortunately, my mum stole the camera while she's in the UK so I don't have anything more than phone pics!!! Here's your picture, but I bet you're not glad you asked :nana:
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/07/Image0192-2.jpg
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/07/Image0202-2.jpg

Hey Ray...photoshoot?? :biggrin:

AusScare
06-07-2009, 11:42 PM
That area just needs a cut n polish right to get nice n white??

Mrk_Mickey
07-07-2009, 06:16 AM
That area just needs a cut n polish right to get nice n white??

It has actually already had a full cut and polish, and that area looks the best...so naturally the car looks like it's got a pearly effect in the paintwork :nana: It's just my phone that isn't showing any detail from the panel. I'll get some good piccies soon mate :)

When I can afford it again I'ma haul Dan's behind over to my place to get it done properly :) I'm not sure anymore whether or not I'll need a stage 2 or 1 now.

KI11Z
07-07-2009, 08:28 AM
the rear quarter looks to be a different colour to the door? or is that just your phone? either way, awsome man! I bet you've missed it huh :biggrin:

Jarred
07-07-2009, 09:56 AM
sweet as man. glad it's finally done.

all the gaps look pretty schmick!

Mrk_Mickey
07-07-2009, 04:15 PM
the rear quarter looks to be a different colour to the door? or is that just your phone? either way, awsome man! I bet you've missed it huh :biggrin:

AFAIK that's just my lame ass phone.

GUESS WHAT! I have problems. Seems you can't trust a panelbeater to do their job without buggering something else up...must have missed the lessons from that class. ;)

Problems:
-Car starts like the battery is dead. VERY slow clicks from the starter motor and it feels like it's not going to start, until i push the throttle; then it will struggle itself into idle.
-Central locking doesn't work whatsoever. No motor noises, no air noises.
-When starting the car, the clock says 12:00 every time. While I'm in the car driving, it passes time as normal (ie if I've driven for 36 minutes, the clock shows 36 mins past 12) but when I go to start it after 10 mins of not driving it will reset.
-When I tried to start it this afternoon my driver's window went down. LOL.

So anyways, it sounds like a bad earth/shorting issue. Wouldn't you know it, I took the central locking motor out to have a looksee and it had water in it. Bingo!
I rang him this morning and asked if he knew anything about it, and he assures me everything he touched was working when it left the shop, and as such he wants me to take it back to him, leave it there so his auto elec can look at it, and I quote ''if he finds something, which i can guarantee you won't be anything to do with me, you're gonna have to wear the cost''.

Fat chance.

maca
07-07-2009, 04:20 PM
Good luck Mickey.. It sucks to hear that given you just got the car back!

Spyda
07-07-2009, 04:27 PM
Hate to say i told you so but there you go mate. Tell him to eat a d*** and fix your car. Seems a bit stupid that after he had the car for that long nothing broke but as soon as you got it back eveything brakes at the same time!

Manaz
07-07-2009, 04:39 PM
How was the job paid for?

Rocket36
07-07-2009, 04:41 PM
sounds like it's just a dead battery. happens a lot when cars get repaired...

not enough power to crank the central locking, auto window down is a safety feature on some cars when they're power windows and the battery is near dead.

Mrk_Mickey
07-07-2009, 04:45 PM
I've tried using central locking when my car was connected to my mum's battery. I tried starting it with my mum's battery connected (through jumper cables that is) and it did start a little better. I've tested for battery voltage when the car is off and when the car is on, with the alternator charging the battery. Readings were 10.5V with the car off, 14.4V with the alternator charging while the car's on.

Manaz, I paid for everything with cash.

Manaz
07-07-2009, 05:09 PM
I've tried using central locking when my car was connected to my mum's battery. I tried starting it with my mum's battery connected (through jumper cables that is) and it did start a little better. I've tested for battery voltage when the car is off and when the car is on, with the alternator charging the battery. Readings were 10.5V with the car off, 14.4V with the alternator charging while the car's on.

Manaz, I paid for everything with cash.

10.5v with the car not running sounds like your battery has dropped a cell (there are six 2V cells in your standard 12v car battery). This is pretty common with older batteries, particularly if they've sat for a period of time without being used. Perfect opportunity to put a good battery in (I'm partial to Optima Yellow Tops, but they are pricey).

Regarding how you paid - fair enough. Did you get a work order (what they agreed to fix)?

schoona
07-07-2009, 05:12 PM
Jam him hard. Dodgy workmanship when you are accepting someone elses money, insurance job or not is criminal. Hope its all sortedsoon Mick..

Mrk_Mickey
07-07-2009, 05:13 PM
10.5v with the car not running sounds like your battery has dropped a cell (there are six 2V cells in your standard 12v car battery). This is pretty common with older batteries, particularly if they've sat for a period of time without being used. Perfect opportunity to put a good battery in (I'm partial to Optima Yellow Tops).

Regarding how you paid - fair enough. Did you get a work order (what they agreed to fix)?

Unfortunately I can't afford a new battery if I need to pay the panelbeater the extra 700 I owe him for the repair.

And unfortunately no, all I have received from the panelbeater is a bunch of ''should be ready this week''s and a final price 700 more than he said he ''should be able to do it'' for.

That said, if it turns out it isn't actually the battery and is an electrical earthing problem, I'm going to ring him once I've been given diagnosis by my own choice of auto electrician. If he tries to get defensive and nasty, I'm just going to tell him that he won't get his 700 because I'll use it to fix the problem.

Manaz
07-07-2009, 05:17 PM
Unfortunately I can't afford a new battery if I need to pay the panelbeater the extra 700 I owe him for the repair.

And unfortunately no, all I have received from the panelbeater is a bunch of ''should be ready this week''s and a final price 700 more than he said he ''should be able to do it'' for.

That said, if it turns out it isn't actually the battery and is an electrical earthing problem, I'm going to ring him once I've been given diagnosis by my own choice of auto electrician. If he tries to get defensive and nasty, I'm just going to tell him that he won't get his 700 because I'll use it to fix the problem.

Yeah, I'd be holding onto the $700. The lack of documentation works both ways, and if you have your car and his cash, given the attitude he's showing, I'd be holding that cash ransom until he wisens up.

In fact - I'd be inclined to tell him that you're going to see an auto-electrician for an opinion, and the repairs can come out of the $700 you still owe. There's no way I'd be trusting his guy at this point, particularly given the attitude he's shown after you've really done him a favour by giving him a cash-in-hand job (which I'm sure he hasn't put on the books).

Mrk_Mickey
07-07-2009, 05:23 PM
Thanks for the advice mate, that's just what I was thinking of doing. I'm going to a mate's place at 6 and he's good with this stuff so I'll be able to get a detailed opinion/fix. He tells me it's definintely a dead battery, but the motor is a different issue.

Regardless, if it's not sorted by tonight I'm going to an auto electrician for a (hopefully) free diagnosis and then I'm going to ring the panelbeater back and tell him that I've sought my own advice because I no longer trust him after being provided absolutely NO documents.

Manaz
07-07-2009, 05:24 PM
Thanks for the advice mate, that's just what I was thinking of doing. I'm going to a mate's place at 6 and he's good with this stuff so I'll be able to get a detailed opinion/fix. He tells me it's definintely a dead battery, but the motor is a different issue.

Regardless, if it's not sorted by tonight I'm going to an auto electrician for a (hopefully) free diagnosis and then I'm going to ring the panelbeater back and tell him that I've sought my own advice because I no longer trust him after being provided absolutely NO documents.

Get the work the panel shop did checked by someone else you trust too - give my mate a call if you'd like, I'm sure he woudn't begrudge you a quick inspection to see what's gone on.

Mrk_Mickey
07-07-2009, 06:02 PM
Another good idea. I'll go see him tomorrow perhaps. Wanna PM me his number again? Cheers.

AGO41T
07-07-2009, 06:29 PM
hope u get it sorted..

wen i got mine my battery was dead too.. 3 weeks at d workshop and all weird things started to happen, changed the battery and everything went normal :duh:

Golf Loon
07-07-2009, 06:46 PM
Sounds like he left it outside ith the light out and the door open whichhas buggered the c/l pump and battery.
I`d get a new battery and stick a c/l pump in and go from there.
I probably would ring him up and tell him to bite me for his $700 too.

Preen59
07-07-2009, 07:16 PM
Looks good Mickey.

Just remember that things like this can be hard to quote on sometimes and he may have run into unforeseen problems during the repair. Not everyone is dodgy because they've had to charge you more than they quoted. I'm not saying you should cough up the money and take it like a bitch.. But don't jump straight on the negative "he's ripping me off" band wagon. These poor bastards get reamed by insurance companies stating what they will pay for a repair to get done all the time.

Normal lead acid car batteries are designed to work being constantly charged or topped up (within reason).

Leave them for a while and they discharge. This, combined with the cold weather can really take it's toll on a battery. If a battery is on its way out anyway, just one cold night can really stick the knife in the side for the last time.. :)

gldgti
07-07-2009, 07:30 PM
Looks good Mickey.

Just remember that things like this can be hard to quote on sometimes and he may have run into unforeseen problems during the repair. Not everyone is dodgy because they've had to charge you more than they quoted. I'm not saying you should cough up the money and take it like a bitch.. But don't jump straight on the negative "he's ripping me off" band wagon. These poor bastards get reamed by insurance companies stating what they will pay for a repair to get done all the time.

Normal lead acid car batteries are designed to work being constantly charged or topped up (within reason).

Leave them for a while and they discharge. This, combined with the cold weather can really take it's toll on a battery. If a battery is on its way out anyway, just one cold night can really stick the knife in the side for the last time.. :)

+ 1 on all that, and what Loon said. sure as heck is probable the battery dies of its own accord under the circumstances, and given the central locking pump is right where the accident damage was, it's not unlikely that it got wet sometime. now im definately not pointing the finger at anyone - but an electrical part that gets wet doesnt necesarily break straight away - if it got wet anytime from the crash to now, it could have taken a while (and a lot of time doing nothing) for connections in it to corrode.

Mrk_Mickey
07-07-2009, 08:56 PM
I've fixed my central locking:)

there was evidence (which I photographed) of ''paint water'' in the circuit-board of the central locking motor. We know this because my mate showed me the same water he used for wetsanding after painting a new panel and it was identical, even in texture so that makes it the panelbeater's fault.

Battery is very, very dead. Need a new one. My mate reckons I should just get a normal one from a servo or something for 100-something bucks, would anyone advise against this? I drive it once a day and only use the sound system when the car is off when I vacuum the inside.

Thanks for all the pointers guys...at the end of the day, he did do a good repair. He told me it cost extra for the boot line-up (cos...the chassis was actually bent :() but at the same time he only did four days work on it in 6 weeks, with only 2 cars in between. He has given me no evidence for quote or labour/parts costs (receipt) and he also left all those horrible buffing marks all over my car. SO: New battery, ''new'' motor, fix the buff marks, and that adds up to 700 even if i install it myself. Looks like I'm keeping that from him...

Preen59
07-07-2009, 09:07 PM
SO: New battery, ''new'' motor, fix the buff marks, and that adds up to 700 even if i install it myself. Looks like I'm keeping that from him...

Well you do what you like.. But you still got out cheap. I would advise against withholding the money from him because it's just not cricket.

Maybe go and talk to him about it rather than just gyp him for 700 bucks? If i was in his situation i'd be really pissed if you did that to me... :)

Any normal battery should be fine dude. But buy a mid range one atleast. The cheap ones are usually crap.

Mrk_Mickey
07-07-2009, 09:15 PM
I'm going to ring him and explain my problem tomorrow. I'm hoping he's going to be the sort of guy he is and understand it...but if he doesn't, then I'm going to use the excuse of lack of paperwork and cash-only job to say that I'm not going to pay any more cos I've gotta keep fixing what should have been protected to start with.

I'm not gonna knock him out without taking a few jab shots first :)

DubSteve
07-07-2009, 09:15 PM
I don't know what the fuss is for the battery, if the car doesn't get started of course the battery will die.

Same thing happened to me and they told me to charge your battery. I didn't create a fuss over the battery I don't think you should either! Charge it and see how you go.

Mrk_Mickey
07-07-2009, 09:27 PM
Does the alternator not charge the battery while the car's running? I was always under that impression.

Manaz
07-07-2009, 10:13 PM
Does the alternator not charge the battery while the car's running? I was always under that impression.

That's the theory - an alternator should produce just over 14v, which is enough to charge a 12v battery.

I'd point out the fact that there was paint-water on the circuit board, and see what he has to say about that.

If you're reasonably happy with the rest of the job (will PM you my mate's number), withholding the whole $700 would be pretty slack - if fixing the central locking cost you anything, tell him you want that covered out of the $700, and see what he has to say about that - doing the job cash on the side has probably helped you out considerably, and as long as the workmanship is reasonable, the timing (unless he promised it sooner) and battery are just unfortunate.

There's little point in trying to charge the battery - at 10.x volts, it's almost certainly dropped a cell (discharge without a dropped cell will result in lower amps but you'll still get 12v), and any success you have in reviving the dead cell will almost certainly be short lived and just end up leaving you stranded later on (potentially in a less-than-ideal situation).

Mrk_Mickey
07-07-2009, 10:22 PM
Yeah I understand what you're saying mate, but here's my problem. He gave me excuses about parts, after absolutely demanding that I buy new. He said the job would be quicker that way. He gave me a time of 2 to MAYBE 3 weeks, and then proceeded to tell me he had court twice a week or so every week and subsequently couldn't work on my car.

I don't mean to be rude or shallow minded, but that ain't my problem. 2 or 3 weeks isn't 6. And it sure as hell isn't +$700 because he quoted less work. If I didn't have my mate and sister to borrow cars off I'd have lost my job cos I would have been completely unreliable. That's putting me out bigtime so I don't think I should have to pay extra for a longer waiting period.

Mrk_Mickey
07-07-2009, 10:24 PM
I'm only going to withhold what I need to pay for. stage 2 detail from dan, new battery (ideally the same one, it's a heavy duty NRMA battery I'm guessing about $250 installed) and at least a second hand motor because I don't know how long mine will last (we cleaned it and gave it a little WD40 then thoroughly compressor-blow dried it).

That alone comes to $600...

I'm not going to say ''I won't pay you a cent because you broke these". I'm going to say "Look, I'm happy to pay you for the repair, but I want you to pay for the problems you've caused on the car that weren't there beforehand. You damaged this this and this, and it will cost this this and this. I'll get it all done and then show you the receipts and we'll work out who owes who what at the end of it."

Manaz
07-07-2009, 10:26 PM
I'm only going to withhold what I need to pay for. stage 2 detail from dan, new battery (ideally the same one, it's a heavy duty NRMA battery I'm guessing about $250 installed) and at least a second hand motor because I don't know how long mine will last (we cleaned it and gave it a little WD40 then thoroughly compressor-blow dried it).

That alone comes to $600...

The stage 2 detail is probably a bit harsh - panel shops aren't detailing experts. You're potentially also stretching it on the battery (again, unless he promised it'd be finished sooner, at which point you could probably claim his delays helped cause the death).

Reasonable on the central locking motor IMHO.

Mrk_Mickey
07-07-2009, 10:33 PM
Yeah I agree they're not detailing experts. But, I didn't pay to have my car's paintwork come back in worse condition than I gave it in with. The poor car has swirls on it and buff marks like the subaru in the detailing section:(

He told me it'd be 2 to maybe 3 weeks so I think I have a fair argument with the battery.

gldgti
07-07-2009, 10:41 PM
Yeah I agree they're not detailing experts. But, I didn't pay to have my car's paintwork come back in worse condition than I gave it in with. The poor car has swirls on it and buff marks like the subaru in the detailing section:(

He told me it'd be 2 to maybe 3 weeks so I think I have a fair argument with the battery.

you can get a really nice battery to suit your needs for lots less than $250 man....

the motor is fair enough. the paintwork... well, your the judge of that and thats between you and him, i dont think its really got much to do with the other matters.

anyways, good luck :-)

Golf Loon
07-07-2009, 11:20 PM
Supercheap have massive purchasing power and give 12 months warranty on batterys.

I bought the most expensive bosch one with 650cca for $200. You could go mid range bosch for $120ish.

Preen59
08-07-2009, 04:17 PM
Buy a battery for 120 bucks from super cheap. Fix your central locking. Give the car a detail yourself. You've done the detailing course, and you say you know what you're doing, so why pay someone else to do it??

Yes he has given you a bill for more than originally quoted, but it's still ridiculously cheap. Panel work isn't like replacing a waterpump. You can't just say "this will take 45 minutes and cost X", because every job is different. (i'm not saying being a mechanic is easier, though).

Seriously dude... Man up and accept that you're going to have to pay extra. Maaaaaaybe you can talk to him about the central locking and work something out there.

The guy agreed to do it for cash on the side and for cheap.. And now you're going to complain because you can't have your cake and eat it too? That's a little pathetic if you ask me. :)

Mrk_Mickey
08-07-2009, 05:49 PM
The guy agreed to do it for cash on the side and for cheap.. And now you're going to complain because you can't have your cake and eat it too? That's a little pathetic if you ask me. :)

Listen carefully dude, cos I'm not gonna explain it again.

I paid cash and got no receipts as a favour for him; he didn't ask for cash specifically, nor did he tell me it wasn't gonna be on the books. He wasn't going to charge me more even if I was on the books. I let him do the repair on my car because he told me he WOULD do it for 3700, between 2 and 3 weeks timing. That's a quote even if he didn't write it out, and if people quote it badly then they cop it on the chin! That's how it works, that's exactly what my mate (he's a bike mechanic, among many other things) told me after I explained the situation.

Spyda
08-07-2009, 06:53 PM
Listen carefully dude, cos I'm not gonna explain it again.

I paid cash and got no receipts as a favour for him; he didn't ask for cash specifically, nor did he tell me it wasn't gonna be on the books. He wasn't going to charge me more even if I was on the books. I let him do the repair on my car because he told me he WOULD do it for 3700, between 2 and 3 weeks timing. That's a quote even if he didn't write it out, and if people quote it badly then they cop it on the chin! That's how it works, that's exactly what my mate (he's a bike mechanic, among many other things) told me after I explained the situation.

Mate, your right.

There is nothing manly about bending over and leting a panel beater enter your exit hole.

He took an extra 3 weeks, broke your car, blames you for it, does a bad detial job and wants to charge you an extra $700 :duh:.

Taking cash usaly helps both of you but in this case it only seems to be helping him and either way that is not an excuse to do a lousy job.

Just for everyones information a panel beaters shop should and do know how to detail a car properly. If its a shiz job then thats because they didnt want to do it any better.

A good panel beater CAN say "this will take 45min and cost X" the reason it takes longer and is more expensive is because the parts price is different to what they quoted and they are usaly slack. If the price does change then they have to let you know BEFORE they do the work. Its not on you its on them!

My best mate is a manager of a panel beating shop and my dad was a panel beater in europe for 20yrs, just for refrence.

You have every right not to pay if the job done is below standard and unrelated parts of the car are busted.

You shouldnt take the bs man, first the insurance d!ks you then this bastard gets you all beacuse some woman didnt get enough sleep.

Preen59
09-07-2009, 05:19 PM
Clearly none of you have ever worked for yourselves.

This guy has obviously gone the wrong way about a few things, but ripping him off isn't the way to handle it. You clearly need to learn how to deal with people and here's a prime opportunity.. So instead of bitching about it and saying he ripped you off, hows about doing it the morally correct way?

I'm not really fussed anymore. Burn your bridges, do whatever you want.

Spyda
09-07-2009, 07:55 PM
Clearly none of you have ever worked for yourselves.

This guy has obviously gone the wrong way about a few things, but ripping him off isn't the way to handle it. You clearly need to learn how to deal with people and here's a prime opportunity.. So instead of bitching about it and saying he ripped you off, hows about doing it the morally correct way?

I'm not really fussed anymore. Burn your bridges, do whatever you want.

I don't understand why you think he should pay him an extra $700 even though he quoted him less, took longer to finish, the end result wasnt great and stuff came back broken. Whos ripping who off?

Just for refrence ive only ever worked for myself or my old man.