PDA

View Full Version : Track and Field?

motk
23-04-2009, 01:59 PM
So, where is the track and field version? I was under the impression that was on the list to import. I'd prefer my AWD gadget to have locking diffs and a front clip that won't catch on every twig or tiny dune of sand.

freddy
23-04-2009, 02:03 PM
So, where is the track and field version? I was under the impression that was on the list to import. I'd prefer my AWD gadget to have locking diffs and a front clip that won't catch on every twig or tiny dune of sand.

I emailed VW Australia about this about a month ago. They replied that they have no intention of importing it any time soon.

motk
23-04-2009, 02:05 PM
I emailed VW Australia about this about a month ago. They replied that they have no intention of importing it any time soon.
That's dissapointing. I wonder if they're happy enough selling to soccer mums?

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,,23814026-5010760,00.html

"We had to make the choice and we thought that for launch it was more appropriate to start with the 18-degree version because we think there is more potential in this car," Dierks said. "We know from research from the Touareg that more people are using these type of cars for on-road purposes than for off-road"

So maybe when the other production lines appear we might see it - though the way the Tiguan is selling in the US these days that may not happen for a while. Boo!

freddy
23-04-2009, 04:23 PM
I agree it is disappointing. It's probably the main reason I still haven't bought one yet (that and I'm waiting to drive an Audi 2.0 TDI Q5). For those who want diesel like me (for country back-road driving), in the face of VW's refusal to import the track and field option, and the way dealers are still reluctant to budge much on prices (even for the TDI), we may as well wait around to see what Mazda's diesel CX7 is like when it arrives later in the year. It has just about as much off road ability as a non track and field Tiguan. Or if they want a reasonable & economical 'soft' offroad option like me, wait till very late 09 or early 2010 for the upcoming diesel Subaru Forester (finally expected to be paired with a decent auto). Then with some decent competition VW may be forced to reconsider its options. Or not. VWs are still selling well. Problem for me is that I wanted to upgrade before the end of financial year ...

NZTiguan
23-04-2009, 04:52 PM
You could always move to NZ !!!!!!!!!

freddy
23-04-2009, 05:16 PM

Mate - I know we are culturally obligated to wind each other up, but fact is I love your part of the world. And the way the NSW government/economy has been performing, you may soon be swapping all those expatriate kiwis at Bondi for more than a few Australian economic refugees. A better Tiguan range would be the icing.

NZTiguan
24-04-2009, 06:50 AM
Mate - I know we are culturally obligated to wind each other up, but fact is I love your part of the world. And the way the NSW government/economy has been performing, you may soon be swapping all those expatriate kiwis at Bondi for more than a few Australian economic refugees. A better Tiguan range would be the icing.

Cheers for that, have a look at http://www.alexandra.co.nz/ and click on the webcam for a look at the day here (remember we're a few of hours ahead of you so don't be surprised if it's dark !!!). Certainly is a lovely spot to live, but I'd have to admit you have just as many places in Aus. Think NZs advantages are that it's smaller so the places are closer together plus there's fewer people to share it all with !! Oh and of course WE have the track and field Tiguan !!!

Cheers

motk
24-04-2009, 10:35 AM

I've seriously considered it - I love the South Island, been there a few times now! Took the Tiari Gorge railway trip up to central Otago to :)

NZTiguan
24-04-2009, 10:59 AM
I've seriously considered it - I love the South Island, been there a few times now! Took the Tiari Gorge railway trip up to central Otago to :)

We're basically at the end of where that railway used to run. From where you went on the train to here in Alexandra it's now a "rail trail" for walkers or mountain bikers. Has become a very popular tourist attraction. There's a bit about it on the http://www.alexandra.co.nz/ site.

Cheers

motk
24-04-2009, 11:30 AM
We're basically at the end of where that railway used to run. From where you went on the train to here in Alexandra it's now a "rail trail" for walkers or mountain bikers. Has become a very popular tourist attraction. There's a bit about it on the http://www.alexandra.co.nz/ site.

I bought the book at the time, so yeah, will dot hat one day :)

Back on topic - I dropped a message to Barloworld Mascot saying "get VWA to import these", and I got a return call that I'll follow up today. I don't expect anything but at least we can get an opinion heard

NZTiguan
24-04-2009, 12:02 PM
You'd think that with NZ and Ausi being so close together some of the agents could get their heads together and do a bit of a swap so you guys get some track and field models and we get some petrol ones eh !!!

Guess that would be just too sensible !!

Cheers

freddy
24-04-2009, 02:38 PM
Back on topic - I dropped a message to Barloworld Mascot saying "get VWA to import these", and I got a return call that I'll follow up today. I don't expect anything but at least we can get an opinion heard

Will be interested in their reply. Wonder how many buyers they lose (especially where I am, out in the country)? Not many, but maybe enough to make a difference.

Checked out the Alexandra Webcam: Clear autumn day - looks magnificent. Autumn colours look great where I am too, but dreary rain & no Track & Field Tiguan for over 4,000km.

motk
24-04-2009, 02:44 PM
Will be interested in their reply. Wonder how many buyers they lose (especially where I am, out in the country)? Not many, but maybe enough to make a difference..

I'll return the call this arvo after some meetings.

Shame they're not putting the 125kw diesel in the Tiguan - it's a stronger motor generally.

phaeton
25-04-2009, 09:09 AM
Anymore info on that phone call yet motk ?

Pullstarter
25-04-2009, 09:46 AM
Sounds like a similar situation to the Scirocco dilemna. Apparently at the AU VW dealers most recent conference they petitioned VWA to start bringing in the rocco, haven't heard anything about it since.

NZTiguan
25-04-2009, 01:11 PM
I'll return the call this arvo after some meetings.

Shame they're not putting the 125kw diesel in the Tiguan - it's a stronger motor generally.

The 125kw Diesel is being put in in Europe !! I understand that it's VERY easy to chip the 103 up to it !! but personally I'm more than happy with the 103kw !!

Cheers

motk
27-04-2009, 08:26 AM
Anymore info on that phone call yet motk ?
Ran out of time on Friday due to some project work - I'll try today.

motk
27-04-2009, 08:27 AM
The 125kw Diesel is being put in in Europe !! I understand that it's VERY easy to chip the 103 up to it !! but personally I'm more than happy with the 103kw !!

Cheers
Yeah, but I'm concerned about the durability of a chipped 103kw engine, considering all the upgrades in the 125.

NZTiguan
27-04-2009, 11:37 AM
Yeah, but I'm concerned about the durability of a chipped 103kw engine, considering all the upgrades in the 125.

I doubt there'd be any problems at all, as I understand it the "basics" of the 125 are just the 103 with a chip and the "upgrades" are just "extras" BUT as I say, I can't really see the point as the 103 has plenty of grunt anyway. Guess it depends what you want it for but it's supposed to be a small SUV not a GTI and as such I think all the extra horsepower (the use of which DOES burn more fuel) is hardly worth the effort IMO.

Cheers

motk
27-04-2009, 11:44 AM
I doubt there'd be any problems at all, as I understand it the "basics" of the 125 are just the 103 with a chip and the "upgrades" are just "extras" BUT as I say, I can't really see the point as the 103 has plenty of grunt anyway. Guess it depends what you want it for but it's supposed to be a small SUV not a GTI and as such I think all the extra horsepower (the use of which DOES burn more fuel) is hardly worth the effort IMO.

Cheers
I believe the 125 actually has different pistons, conrods, valves, etc. It's been covered here previously.
103kw is plenty in a 1350kg car, but pushing it in a 1700kg one. Also - power is good when you're dealing with sand :0