View Full Version : New Skoda VRS

Dzl_Dubba
22-04-2009, 08:39 AM
Here's the facelift Skoda RS

Enjoy

http://www.caradvice.com.au/29347/skoda-reveals-new-octavia-vrs-scout/

woofy
22-04-2009, 09:04 AM
Yeah I have heard they have stopped building the RS altogether until May when they will start putting these out.

Rocket
22-04-2009, 09:37 AM
I am not a huge fan of the new Octavia front, and while it looks better on the RS, I like the proportion of the old front better I think. Looked tighter, not so big.

Hopefully should be some good run out specials on current models soon ;) Might belooking to get one.

zz2
22-04-2009, 11:39 AM
looks like ass. the old one looked so much cooler

woofy
22-04-2009, 12:29 PM
Yeah I do prefer mine, was one fo the reasons I got mine earlier than planned as the new front lights just look wrong. Good luck finding many now, they stopped making them and the stocks are on the low side here.

JP_Aircooled_TDi
22-04-2009, 02:40 PM
Yeah I do prefer mine, was one fo the reasons I got mine earlier than planned as the new front lights just look wrong. Good luck finding many now, they stopped making them and the stocks are on the low side here.

Although mine isn't an RS, we did the same and bought earlier than originally planned to avoid the new front end - not a big fan. Looks very similar to the epica.

Tick
22-04-2009, 03:20 PM
Although mine isn't an RS, we did the same and bought earlier than originally planned to avoid the new front end - not a big fan. Looks very similar to the epica.

Yeah I do prefer mine, was one of the reasons I got mine earlier than planned as the new front lights just look wrong. Good luck finding many now, they stopped making them and the stocks are on the low side here.

I definitely agree with both of you, the front end has lost it simple yet good looking eastern block appearance and gone all curvy. And good luck trying to find such good deals as were offered recently on current RS stock. Very happy we bought ours early too.

gregozedobe
22-04-2009, 04:41 PM
Count me in as fan of the old front end look too - the new lights look too much like a Nissan or something, and the top of the new grille surround is too "heavy" as well. All up, the old looks much more coherent and understated (which is what I prefer) than the new. At least they didn't meddle with the rear too much :)

How does that old song go : "Love the one you're with....."

MJKooLio
22-04-2009, 09:00 PM
Does not look like ass Mark!

http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2009/04/facelifted-skoda-octavia-rs-first.html

She's beautiful,

wait is this based on the MKVI Golf GTI or still the MKV? :(

wombatoutofhell
22-04-2009, 09:12 PM
I like the old look as well-but I like the slightly more powerful engine, the slightly better fuel economy and the slightly lower new model. I think I'll keep mine though-and we're waiting for the Fabia VRS for my wife. Assuming she can wait that long for a new car that is.

MJKooLio
22-04-2009, 09:21 PM
Wonder what the specs on a Fabia vRS would be? :D

mrgolf
22-04-2009, 10:29 PM
Current looks heaps more aggressive. New one looks bland and korean.

gregozedobe
23-04-2009, 01:26 AM
wait is this based on the MKVI Golf GTI or still the MKV? :(

Given that the Mk 6 is really only partial re-skin of the Mk 5 (plus some minor mechanical changes), I guess the answer is : Both ! :biggrin:

woofy
23-04-2009, 10:01 AM
I like the old look as well-but I like the slightly more powerful engine, the slightly better fuel economy and the slightly lower new model. I think I'll keep mine though-and we're waiting for the Fabia VRS for my wife. Assuming she can wait that long for a new car that is.

I'd be a tad worried about a bit lower, my guard thing in front of the drivers side front wheel scraped going around a corner recently.....most cars are really raked so the front is low these days and lots of carparks aren't setup for them. I haven't been able to park a car over 50% of gutters and any of those concrete bar things for about 8 yrs now with a stock Mazda 6 and an SP20 323 let alone the Skoda.

mrgolf
23-04-2009, 11:22 PM
You must be doing it wrong. The Skoda is too high. Needs to be same height as GTI at least. And firmer. Also, the concrete things in car parks are not the to park against. They are to stop you going further. Park a few inches away and you wont have a prob.

As for the reskinned MkV: The MkVI has a new engine. It has new adaptive dampers and an electronic LSD. Every panel bar the roof is different. Hardly minor changes. By comparison, the Skoda has a new injection program and a few bits of new sheet metal and some different lights. The new RS will not be in the same ball park as the new GTI. Although better suspension will help it a lot. After driving the Blue Mountains for 3 days, I am convinced the car is set up too soft. Lacks composure and has too much weight transfer for an alleged sporty drive.

gregozedobe
24-04-2009, 01:13 AM
Mrgolf, I originally said the Mk 6 was a "re-skin of the Mk 5 (plus some minor mechanical changes)", so therefore I'm not trying to say a re-skin is a minor change, you are.

As for the reskinned MkV: The MkVI has a new engine. It has new adaptive dampers and an electronic LSD. Every panel bar the roof is different. Hardly minor changes.

It seems wikipedia (and many others) agree with me about the Mk 6 being very similar (underneath the new clothes) to the Mk 5 :

Like its predecessor, the Mk6 is based on the Volkswagen Group's A5 platform. Because the car's architecture and suspension is identical to its predecessor, including the door frames, side glasshouse, roof and wheelbase, there have been questions as to whether the Mk6 is an all-new car or just a facelift of the Mk5. Indeed, some journalists proclaim that because the Mk6 is so close to the Mk5 in design, the car will look seriously outdated compared to rivals when it is due to be replaced.

IIRC the main driver for VW introducing the Mk 6 sooner than expected was because the Mk 5 was too expensive to build, hence there wasn't time (or money) to develop a truly new platform for the Mk 6.

The "new" motors (from the EA888 family) have been installed in Golf Mk 5s in other markets (eg US) for over a year, and some (1.8 TSI) were in the Octavia from day one in Oz. They aren't radically new anyway, there is much similarity between the old and new engines.

So considering the new dampers and electronic LSD (only on GTIs, note), by my standards for a "new" and "different" model I still say this GTI has only relatively minor mechanical changes compared with the old model. The gubbins (mechanical bits that give a car it's character and feel) are nearly all carried over to the new Mk 6. All the suspension components (except for the new dampers), the gear boxes, the floor pan etc etc remain essentially the same.

If you wish to believe the Mk 6 has major mechanical changes over the Mk 5 then please go right ahead (it's a free world).

The new RS will not be in the same ball park as the new GTI. Although better suspension will help it a lot. After driving the Blue Mountains for 3 days, I am convinced the car is set up too soft. Lacks composure and has too much weight transfer for an alleged sporty drive.

I don't believe the vRS is marketed as a direct competitor to the GTI, much the same as Audis are not directly marketed against the equivalent VW model. The vRS has a subtly different character (more laid back) compared with the GTI, which some people (like me) actually prefer to the more up-front nature of the GTI.

Seeing as driving in the Blue Mountains is so important to you, then by all means go out and buy a new Mk 6 GTI if that will make you happy (I'm sure there are many dealers out there only too willing to take your money).

On the other hand, I'm very satisfied with the slightly more easy-going nature of my vRS, plus the large amount of extra room it has (over a GTI) is a bonus :)

That is the good thing about the many different car models available in Australia, we can each choose the model that suits our preferences best. While it is fair to express our own opinions, it is best to remember that others may have quite different (and just as valid) opinions.

MJKooLio
24-04-2009, 02:35 AM
I'm keen to get my hands on a new car. Drove the A4 today, 2006 spec and pretty bland to drive with a CVT transmission..... (As zz2 said but like he also said I never listen :P) The MKV GTI is devine to drive with the DSG, A3 Diesel with DSG would be nice but didn't drive it.

Whilst in Europe from next weekend, I will get a hold of the new MKVI GTI and report back haha!

Probably wait around the end of year to next year to purchase something... the new Octavia would be nice in vRS form but then by then you would get an 08 model in the peanuts range 2nd hand and I won't be fussed! Petrol with DSG please.... :)

Otherwise when I can later down the track get something.... leaning towards even a MKV GTI Golf :)

Jeesh I'm picking, might be another car next week I want!

mrgolf
24-04-2009, 09:31 AM
Greg, I believe you missed the point. I was saying the difference between the MkVI and MkV is greater than the difference between the current and facelifted RS's. That is all. My comment about not just a reskin is a response to a commonly held belief that the MkVI is 'just a facelifted MkV'. Whether you hold this rumour to be truth or not is your deal. I believe, from reading a large number of articles, that it is more than just a facelift. As for your wikipedia quote, the source is not exactly known for its correctness. The stuff on there was added by Joe Public and their opinions. The basic 'architecture' is the same. But as VW say themselves, every panel bar the roof is different. Which is more than you can say for the Skoda.

As for the mechanicals, how different people choose to see them as is their own deal. It is a new engine, which is more than you get from a mere facelift. Yes, the engines are related, but it is different. The suspension is all new, especially the adaptive dampers. The electronic LSD is new. Not a completely new model, but certainly more than a facelift. As for the character, all the reviews I have read say that it feels different to the MkV. In fact they all say it is a better drive. It probably has held onto some of its character, but is still different. More than just a facelift.

As for the GTI vs RS comment, the difference between the current models is not too great. Dynamically they are very similar. The Skoda is softer, but that is about it. The difference between the next two models will be greater. The GTI will have moved ahead in leaps and bounds (by all accounts) whereas the Skoda will have only progressed a little. However, hopefully with the new suspension, it will be more composed over bumps and have less dramatic weight transfer.

Now, this doozy:

Seeing as driving in the Blue Mountains is so important to you, then by all means go out and buy a new Mk 6 GTI if that will make you happy

Do you, by chance, have a sticker on the back of your car with an outline of Australia and some words saying 'If you dont like it, leave'? Same mentality. I chose to trade in my MkV GTI for an RS because it was practical for my new family. That is all. I would have preferred to keep the GTI, but I love my son and it is more than a worthwhile sacrifice.

That said, it lacks the composure of the GTI. It is too high and too soft. It wallows a little over uneven surfaces and has more dramatic weight transfer on changes of direction. It squats more on acceleration and dives more under brakes. Yes it is more relaxed, but it is still meant to be a sports oriented car. Those wanting a more relaxed drive should look no further than a Toyota Aurion. The GTI is lithe and athletic. It just needs to be sold as a sedan/liftback or wagon... haha.

Ultimately, though, these are my only complaints about the RS. It is a very good car and is built better than the GTI was. It is only a minor complaint (although you wouldnt think it from reading these comments), but it is something I hope the facelift addresses.

As for opinions, that is what forums are for. Stupid thing is, we are essentially on the same page on this whole argument. We have said the same thing, but differently.

gregozedobe
24-04-2009, 10:15 AM
Do you, by chance, have a sticker on the back of your car with an outline of Australia and some words saying 'If you dont like it, leave'?

Not me. Never have, never will - in fact I find that sort of sticker mildly offensive. I have however, been known to say things like : "Quit whinging ! If you don't like it, either do something about it or if you won't do something about it just shut up." Which is quite different in intent, and puts the responsibility back on the unhappy person. Of course, some people don't like being told that, do they ? ;)

As for opinions, that is what forums are for.

Fair enough (but you do sound like you are still suffering some "buyer's remorse") ;)

So in line with what I said above, can we expect to see Koni FSDs on your RS soon ? The Briskoda people seem to like them rather a lot (improved ride and better handling). Or are your handling needs a bit more hard core ?

Please let us know what you do and what you think of it after the change.

brad
24-04-2009, 10:43 AM
That said, it lacks the composure of the GTI. It is too high and too soft. It wallows a little over uneven surfaces and has more dramatic weight transfer on changes of direction. It squats more on acceleration and dives more under brakes. Yes it is more relaxed, but it is still meant to be a sports oriented car. Those wanting a more relaxed drive should look no further than a Toyota Aurion. The GTI is lithe and athletic. It just needs to be sold as a sedan/liftback or wagon... haha.

And then you get the GTI owners who reckon the GTI is "too jiggly".

Dare i say:
GTI = HSV ClubSport/FPV
vRS = Commode SS / Ford XR6

(that should ruffle a few feathers:moonie:)

mrx
24-04-2009, 11:02 AM
GTI = HSV ClubSport/FPV
vRS = Commode SS / Ford XR6

So what you're saying is GTI's & vRS's both suck! :nana:

I agree with mrgolf, which is why I put the Eibachs on the Skoda. Best $400 I ever spent. Same height as GTI, 20% stiffer, so less roll, ducking & diving, wallowing etc., but without sacrificing ride comfort. Although, I don't find the GTI too jiggly.

woofy
24-04-2009, 11:47 AM
Actually a big thing to keep in mind is that the "new" RS coming out later this year and I think starting to be built next month, is still a facelift, from all accounts the Octavia III is still coming and that will be what I suspect will come into line with the new GTi. VAG don't like Skoda releasing things too close to VW.

MJKooLio
24-04-2009, 11:51 AM
So basicly:

Skoda Octavia MkI (Never released in Aus)
Skoda Octavia MkII (Release in Aus - 08 model)
Skoda Octavia MkII Facelift (Just released - new Scout and vRS coming soon)
Skoda Octavia MkIII (Release this year/next year as well as MkVI Golf varants and GTI MkVI)

?? Correct? :)

woofy
24-04-2009, 12:26 PM
No the Mk III has not even been seen yet...but then again the Mk2.5 was only seen towards the end of last year.

mrgolf
24-04-2009, 12:56 PM
Greg: Didnt think I was whinging. Expressing an observation a day after realising it can hardly be called whinging. As for buyers remorse: i dont think so. I just miss the GTI and wish the RS was a bit closer suspension wise. Like I said before, it is better built than the GTI.

Brad: as a former GTI driver, I never thought the GTI ride was jiggly.

As for the FSD's: are they a complete shock and spring package? I think that these would be fine. Especially if they ride better and handle better.

mrx: do you find the standard shocks in the Skoda up to the task of handling the stiffer springs? I would hate to do the mod if it was just going to end up being underdamped. This is the way I am leaning, though.

gregozedobe
24-04-2009, 12:59 PM
I agree with Woofy, the Mk 3 could be quite some time away yet, otherwise they wouldn't have bothered doing the Mk 2.5 (facelift).

I'm one of those people who found the Mk 5 GTI too harsh and jiggly on rough roads (try driving along the Sutton road between the driver training track and the Wamboin turnoff to see what I mean). I preferred the ride/handling compromise of the std Oct vRS.

It is good to have a choice, and there is always the option of aftermarket suspension to fine tune the car of your choice.

FSDs are just shocks, some people just put them on with the OEM springs, others prefer to put different springs on as well. Have a search on the Briskoda forum if you want more (lots more) info. I think a few people here (on this forum) have put them on their Golf GTIs, but they don't seem to be a real hard core option.

http://briskoda.net/octavia-ii/

MJKooLio
24-04-2009, 01:08 PM
Sorry, are you guyes saying the vRS's suspension is not preffered or this the ambiente and elegance octi's?

MJKooLio
24-04-2009, 01:10 PM
MkI:

http://theautomotiveindia.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/skoda-octavia.jpg

MkII:

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/04/2006skodaoctaviarspower8-1.jpg

MkII.5:

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/04/2009skodaoctaviars5-1.jpg

(Love how its a big picture! :D)

brad
24-04-2009, 01:21 PM
Sorry, are you guyes saying the vRS's suspension is not preffered or this the ambiente and elegance octi's?

vRS versus GTI.

I've got the Elegance.
The suspension on the Elegance works OK if you tend to drive through Royal National Park or other potholed, bumpy, undulating secondary roads. The front damping could be a tiny bit firmer in both directions but 70% of the time you don't notice it.

If you are punting through a corner it likes to do a bit of a head-shake and feels like the front & rear don't want to talk to each other.

Given that I occasionally use the car for work and the roads to the worksites are a bit ordinary, I prefer the higher ground clearance. Also, the body roll is natures way of telling me to slow down a fraction:).

mrgolf
24-04-2009, 01:24 PM
I am saying I am not a fan of the RS suspension. It is too soft. The other models are even softer.

Greg, I will have to look into that. But it does beg the question on the stock shocks ability to handle the stiffer Eibach springs.

mrgolf
24-04-2009, 01:27 PM
If you are punting through a corner it likes to do a bit of a head-shake and feels like the front & rear don't want to talk to each other.

Also, the body roll is natures way of telling me to slow down a fraction:).

I have noticed the first point as well on the RS.

And on the second point, no. That is natures way of telling you your suspension setup is not up to your intentions... :)

mrx
24-04-2009, 04:44 PM
I think the Eibach springs and stock shocks work well together (I'm also talking RS & wagon variant), but no doubt the FSD's are better and seem to be a popular option with the UK boys. I put only the springs on, with the intention to upgrade to the FSDs if I thoght it wasn't working out. So far, I haven't felt the need to upgrade.

mrgolf
24-04-2009, 06:05 PM
Thanks mrx. Something worth looking into. Where did you get yours? With the exchange, it would be more than $400. Maybe if the Au$ improves, so will my chances.

Anyhoo, should prolly stop hijacking the thread.

Current RS looks more aggressive and more distinctive (as in not generic) than the new one.

MJKooLio
24-04-2009, 06:12 PM
Mine in White please!

but like I said, i'll wait :)

Rocket
24-04-2009, 07:31 PM
Back on the first page, I said I wasn't a fan.... but the more i look at the new one, the more I wonder if I like it... almost looks a bit more sophisticated, almost a hint of the front end of the new merc Eclass in its shape

mrx
24-04-2009, 08:04 PM
Thanks mrx. Something worth looking into. Where did you get yours? With the exchange, it would be more than $400. Maybe if the Au$ improves, so will my chances.

Anyhoo, should prolly stop hijacking the thread.

Current RS looks more aggressive and more distinctive (as in not generic) than the new one.

JKM performance in the UK has the Skoda specific ones. Take off the 15% VAT & add GBP85 for DHL courier delivery (took 3 days). Worked out to exactly $400 when I bought mine.

phaeton
25-04-2009, 09:24 AM
I agree with many on here that the pre-facelift Octavia looks better than the soft lines of the new one.

Having said that I like the new Superb look :D

Transporter
25-04-2009, 06:49 PM
A new look Skoda Octavia looks like a new car. The previous model looks like the old Passat. Sorry, guys, but I like a new look Octavia better.
" Every fox praises its own tail." :)

R1 Crasher
01-05-2009, 09:16 PM
A bit of help would be appreciated?Any body?

I have just returned from the U.K. where my hire car was a new Vauxhall diesel 1.9,superb thing,six speed manual,drove nicely, went very well.Great on fuel.

So got to thinking I might get me one of them diesls here,Holden dont do the 1.9 150HP Turbo diesel in any cars here.Only the low powered Astra gets a diesel. After some reasearch I found out that the GM/Fiat 1.9 150HP diesel also goes in the Saab 9-3 and Alfa 147/159 and some Fiats. Me quite liking the looks of the Alfa 159 and Wifey quite fancies the idea of a wagon.Off we trot to Lance Dixon in Doncaster to look at the Alfa 159 wagon only to be told that they dont do them in a manual (WTF)Eventhough the brochure says that they do!The salesman said they have never been asked for a manual. Alfa Romeo,one of the most famous marques for a drivers car in the world and only in auto.(Australians have a lot to answer for) Went next door to Saab and looked at the 1.9TD 9-3 wagon,again listed as available as a manual,they have never sold one or ever been asked for one!:driver:

Any how took an Auto one for a drive,not great,and the car was very poorly built which the wife picked up very early on.

So disappointed, I trot off home to the computer doing some research and see the Skoda vRS 2.0Tdi 125KW 6 speed manual wagon as listed on Skodas Australia's website.

Ring round the Vic Skoda dealers,no stock, One un named dealer tells me that there isn't even one in the country as no dealer would bring one into stock because they would never sell it, and that I was only the second person since the launch to even ask about that model.I said to the salesperson "do you not have faith in the product as not to stock it? To which he said not if it means we will never sell it.What is it with Australians and Automatics?

So what good diesel wagons are available with a manual gearbox that are a bit sporty? Good luck because I cannot find any.

Oh and nothing French:moonie:

Golf Loon
01-05-2009, 09:28 PM
There are plenty of non VRS TDI Skoda wagons out there.
If your local dealer wont help, ring around.
THE VRS TDI has only just come to Oz, I cant believe there are none.
I`d ring around and see if your local guy is full of BS

brad
01-05-2009, 10:06 PM
So disappointed, I trot off home to the computer doing some research and see the Skoda vRS 2.0Tdi 125KW 6 speed manual wagon as listed on Skodas Australia's website.

Ring round the Vic Skoda dealers,no stock, One un named dealer tells me that there isn't even one in the country as no dealer would bring one into stock because they would never sell it, and that I was only the second person since the launch to even ask about that model.I said to the salesperson "do you not have faith in the product as not to stock it? To which he said not if it means we will never sell it.What is it with Australians and Automatics?

So what good diesel wagons are available with a manual gearbox that are a bit sporty? Good luck because I cannot find any.

I'd give Skoda Australia a ring & ask them why their dealers aren't interested in selling you a car. Be prepeared to name the dealers. Ask where the stock is, ask them if the Product Planning Manager has got the sack yet.

You might also want to get out of the "only manual cars are sporty" mindset as the DSG are very good.

As for test drives - There were no Skoda dealers near home so I went to VW and drove various Golfs, Jettas & Passats to get a rough idea what the cars were like. I was ready to sign up for a Golf and then the Skoda dealer opened near work and the rest is history.

R1 Crasher
01-05-2009, 10:23 PM
I'd give Skoda Australia a ring & ask them why their dealers aren't interested in selling you a car. Be prepeared to name the dealers. Ask where the stock is, ask them if the Product Planning Manager has got the sack yet.

You might also want to get out of the "only manual cars are sporty" mindset as the DSG are very good.

As for test drives - There were no Skoda dealers near home so I went to VW and drove various Golfs, Jettas & Passats to get a rough idea what the cars were like. I was ready to sign up for a Golf and then the Skoda dealer opened near work and the rest is history.

Thanks for the reply,I will contact Skoda Australia and see what the situation is with that model.
The Salesperson was happy to order the car for me but only as a purchase,not for stock.
As for DSG well i'm sorry it's just not me and I've tried quite a few, GTi Pirelli, R32, Passat,Golf GTi. To me they are poo and not what driving is about. Maybe I'm a bit old school, but Ive never seen a serious race car driver prefer Auto over manual(not that I'm a race car driver)

Tick
01-05-2009, 10:59 PM
My impression was that Skoda Australia only stock the vRS TDI in DSG guise. As far as I know it has never been offered with a manual here and according to my dealer prob never will be.

Cheers,

R1 Crasher
01-05-2009, 11:04 PM
My impression was that Skoda Australia only stock the vRS TDI in DSG guise. As far as I know it has never been offered with a manual here and according to my dealer prob never will be.

Cheers,

Why is it listed on Skoda Australia's website then?

http://www.skoda.com.au/showroom-octaviars-pricing.aspx

Golf Loon
01-05-2009, 11:08 PM
Yeah and if you want one, go and drive a dsg one and then place a special order for a manual one.

Tick
01-05-2009, 11:10 PM
Why is it listed on Skoda Australia's website then?

http://www.skoda.com.au/showroom-octaviars-pricing.aspx

Dunno, call them and ask :nana:

Rocket
02-05-2009, 12:43 AM
Skoda vRS 2.0Tdi 125KW 6 speed manual wagon as listed on Skodas Australia's website.

There's one here (http://www.carsales.com.au/used-cars/dealer/SKODA/OCTAVIA/details.aspx?R=6979660&keywords=rs&trecs=19&Model=OCTAVIA&__Ntk=CarAll&State=All%20States&__Nne=20&__Dx=mode%20matchany&Make=SKODA&__D=rs&silo=1000&seot=0&__sid=120FEB065160&state_id=0&__N=4294963053%200%204294963047%20834%20285%20258% 20287%201216&__Ns=pCar_StatusSort_Int32%7c1%7c%7cpCar_Price_Dec imal%7c0&__Ntx=mode%20matchallpartial&Cr=14&__Ntt=rs&distance=500&__Qpb=true) though its in ACT which wont easily help you, but does prove that they are in the country.

Keep in mind 3 things...
1. skodas are fairly low volume movers, so stock is therefore obviously limited. If you want to order one, I am sure you will find a dealer happy to order it for you, but it will now be in the new shape/facelift.

2. Diesels generally run through a lower rev range, and due to their high toruqe can pull through that range very quickly. That is why it is common to find auto/dsg boxes fitted to diesels, as they always (should always) have you in the right gear for the right revs. Manuals of course are possible, but normally much more work.

3. As said above, the diesel in RS form is relatively new to Aus, so again, harder to find.

mrx
02-05-2009, 10:18 AM
There's one here (http://www.carsales.com.au/used-cars/dealer/SKODA/OCTAVIA/details.aspx?R=6979660&keywords=rs&trecs=19&Model=OCTAVIA&__Ntk=CarAll&State=All%20States&__Nne=20&__Dx=mode%20matchany&Make=SKODA&__D=rs&silo=1000&seot=0&__sid=120FEB065160&state_id=0&__N=4294963053%200%204294963047%20834%20285%20258% 20287%201216&__Ns=pCar_StatusSort_Int32%7c1%7c%7cpCar_Price_Dec imal%7c0&__Ntx=mode%20matchallpartial&Cr=14&__Ntt=rs&distance=500&__Qpb=true) though its in ACT which wont easily help you, but does prove that they are in the country.

Did you look at the pictures? That ain't a manual!

I think a manual with the 125kW diesel might be a fair bit of work around town? But I agree, DSG is poo (along with all automated gearboxes).

Rocket
02-05-2009, 10:31 AM
Did you look at the pictures? That ain't a manual!

You sir, are correct! :wasntme:

JP_Aircooled_TDi
03-05-2009, 06:10 PM
I think a manual with the 125kW diesel might be a fair bit of work around town?.

I have the Oettinger chip in my manual 2TDI Elegance (125kW and 380Nm quoted), and it is no problem what so ever. (except if you smash the throttle :biggrin: :duh: :driver: )

I highly recommend it as it is a breeze to drive in town, highway - anywhere :driver:

Just my experience...

Golf Loon
04-05-2009, 06:10 PM
But I agree, DSG is poo (along with all automated gearboxes).

LOL I totally agree.

indulis
04-05-2009, 07:24 PM
A bit of help would be appreciated?Any body?

Mazda diesel wagon which is pretty nice and only available in manual. Only drawback is that the handbrake is located on the passenger side of the console, so you have to reach across quite a way and it is a stretch, it actually hurt my back to do it. Worth a drive though nowhere near the boot space of the Octavia. A bitt too much "style" and not enough practicality for my liking.

I agree with the "no french" rule. I have had to pay through not just the nose but all orifices for spare parts that are trivial costs on a non-Renault. My dad got slugged $400 for ONE spark plug mounted coil today- we didnt even get a chance to fit it elsewhere and get a non-genuine part as when it was at the dealer's for diagnostics the coil "broke itself in two".

French cars are OK while they are under warranty, then after that they are tres merde!

woofy
06-05-2009, 04:18 PM
I could be very wrong, but owning both a 6 hatch and an RS, the 6 still has a bigger boot, doubt very much a 6 wagon has less than an Octavia...very much the opposite...the boot is a lot wider for starters, just not as deep, but is longer as well. I can't offhand think where the handbrake is, but its fine to use...in fact easier in some ways as it doesn't get caught up in the console lid.

indulis
06-05-2009, 11:33 PM
I spent a total of 1/2 hour in the Mazda 6, so I stand corrected! The boot on the Octavia seemed bigger to me, maybe just the depth of the boot vs the wide boot of the Mazda6.

Anyway, the M6 is my 2nd choice behind the Octavia, so I could easily still end up with one!

woofy
08-05-2009, 05:56 AM
They are completely different beasts, the octavia drives like a smaller car. The 6 is bigger in lots of ways, but still by no means as crap as a falcon or commodore in handling. The 6 "just works" I got the Skoda this time around cause the 6 was fine, but not inspiring, the Skoda was a test for something different.

I've driven both in diesel form but not the current 6 diesel, its apparently a wicked car, but more $$$ not sure why Mazda did that. The last 6 diesel was mid priced and came with lux goodies like the leather seats.

To be honest you'd be happy with either really, but if you need more rear seat room the 6 is probably better.

R1 Crasher
08-05-2009, 04:02 PM
After a lot of confusing and conflicting information,Skoda Australia finally got back to me(it has only taken them a week).(their E mail isn't working:duh:) There are no diesel wagon RS manuals in the country and there will not be any until September when the facelifted model arrives.
So I have decided after a test drive that I could have a Petrol manual wagon.There is a few 08 cars available but and here's the but,the 09's have the interior upgrade that the facelifted non RS models have got,ie new steering wheel with radio, phone controls etc, new touch screen radio,new door mirrors that fold,different climate control buttons with the seat heater control built into them.
I thought thats quite a bit different from the 08 car,I'll see about getting a Blue one.Nope Skoda Australia dont have any! Will be the same as for the diesel manual nothing until September when the facelifted model arrives.If you want a DSG car no probs but no manuals.

Skoda Australia certainly like to make it hard to buy a new car:duh:

indulis
08-05-2009, 08:05 PM
http://www.whatdiesel.co.uk/news/viewnews.aspx?newsid=1068

PS Skoda Superb won "best large diesel car"

woofy
10-05-2009, 04:05 PM
I think they got a special deal with Skoda last year to get XX amount of stock in without the usual waits..but from what I saw recently they sold most of that stock..so now are subject to the usual waits like VW tends to get.

R1 Crasher
10-05-2009, 04:46 PM
I think they got a special deal with Skoda last year to get XX amount of stock in without the usual waits..but from what I saw recently they sold most of that stock..so now are subject to the usual waits like VW tends to get.

Yes from what I understand a certain amount of that is true.Also the amount of unsold 08 cars which were brought in that didn't get sold because of the economic downturn meant dealers wern't placing orders for stock of 09 cars as there were plenty 08 still about.But as you say most have now gone,(plenty of Yellow available I am led to believe)so instead of dealers having stock most cars are now an order job from the factory.This the dealer says instead of getting caught with old stock again will also help the residual value of the brand.No huge discounting to clear stocks The current RS is about to or has just finished production and so nothing until the facelifted model arrives later in the year.So at this stage no orders can be taken on the RS as no date has been set for production for Australian cars.The amount of cars for AU would probably only take a couple of days.

My local dealer to me is struggling at the moment with the brand,when they took Skoda on, were looking to sell around 15-18 cars per month,but now are only doing 3-4 cars per month, partly because of the economic down turn,partly because Skoda stopped all advertising until just recently and because of supply issues.The salesmanger I spoke to said that things would improve and that Skoda were in for the duration and wouldn't pull out of Aus.

R1 Crasher
15-05-2009, 09:45 PM
O.K.
I have been offered by some helpful sales people from Bayfords in Preston the ability to order a new facelifted RS wagon diesel in manual at the old pricing :smile:
Dealer states new vehicle will be more expensive as has new features:???:

Skoda Australia have comfirmed that the current model is not being produced and that the facelifted version is due to go into production very soon,with a delivery time of around late Sept early Oct.

So the car I'm looking at is
RS wagon 6 speed manual diesel 125KW
with,
Sat Nav (Columbus/RNS510)
Xenon's
DRL's
Metallic paint (race blue)
Price $46,250 on road

What do people think of the pricing.
Bearing in mind this is the only 125KW manual diesel wagon in the VAG group available in AU.

indulis
17-05-2009, 03:11 AM
In Jan Mazda were offering 08 built Mazda 6 manual diesel wagons for $38K inc on road costs, so as cars are right now a buyers market, the rrp does not really matter, what matters is what else you can get with similar spec for around the same price. Ford Mondeo diesel hatch (only) is also in the 30s.

If you can wait for a couple of weeks, the other car sellers will likely be offering massive deals to move stock. While I like the Skoda I would not pay around $10K extra for the privilege of driving one.

JP_Aircooled_TDi
17-05-2009, 07:45 AM
R1 Crasher,

Have you considered an Elegance model with your preffered options? We were keen on the RS TDI - as it is a sexy bit of kit. But in the end we went with the Elegance diesel wagon with tow-bar, roof racks, tinting and then chipped it up for less than 40K (Not sure if this is a good price, but I was happy to pay this. We also considered the Mazda6 diesel, but couldn't get a good price.).

I have not once regretted it. The extra handling you get with the vRS is not use able with our little gomes in the back. Speaking of which, extra grippy and comfy seats in the front lets you push it harder at the expense of the passengers in the back who get an almost standard/unchanged rear seat :???:

Also, in terms of every day use, we use the steering wheel stereo controls a fair bit - which the current vRS does not have - wierd.

Anyway, just my experience.

Cheers,

JP

PS - The Octavia is so close to the 2TDI MkV Golf (that we loved so much) the decision was easy really - as both cars are almost identical.

indulis
21-05-2009, 12:59 AM
The 09 shipped VRS's have the steering wheel with the radio switches. Yes, I know what you mean the "on wheel" functions are great, I really like them in my Renault Laguna (if the french pirates weren't so bad on spare parts pricing I'd keep the Renault as it is a v nice car to drive and esp to tour in).

kenvik_7
25-05-2009, 07:13 PM
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and would appreciate if you guys could take it a bit easy on me if the following has already been posted. I'm currently debating between buying a MkVI Golf GTI or the new facelifted Skoda RS.
The latest information I came across the RS (From another forum - BriSkoda) is

1) Lots of cool pics including some interior pics - http://img34.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=mediumsizergbocrs1530.jpg
2) Youtube video of journalists testing the new RS - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39bsn4g7d3E

Now I have lived for a while in UK as well as in India, both countries where the Skoda brand is quite popular and delivers excellent value for money as well as good customer service.
I understand that the Skoda brand is just starting to build its reputation in Oz, and it still has a long way to go, but I'm completely sold over the brand (based on what I've drive in the UK).
So my question to you guys is how would you rate the RS against the Jetta 2.0L petrol 147kW and the GTI - from an Australian perspective - such as resale, servicing centres, negotiating a price with dealers etc. Sometimes the VW dealers can be quite snobbish and aren't willing to move even $1k on the top of the range vehicles such as the GTI since they know they are in great demand. Is the story similar for the RS?
i know the GTI is a hatchback and hence not in the same car bracket, but aside from the space issues, do you think the GTI really is worth $4 to $5k more than the RS - for comparable specs (since the RS gives a lot more as standard equipment as compared to a 5 door GTI)?
Thanks in advance.
Vik

mrgolf
25-05-2009, 07:44 PM
While I cannot speak specifically about the new GTI and the facelifted RS, I can share my experiences with the MkV GTI and current RS.

The new GTI is a tauter, faster and better version of the MkV. The RS is a mildly worked version of the current car. The RS will not have the technological advances of the GTI (trick elec diff, adjustable suspension) but will have lower stiffer suspension (my bugbear in the RS.)

Question you must answer for yourself: Do you enjoy driving? Hard? How often? If you like driving hard, the GTI is your answer and will be worth the extra dollars. If you just want a very capable car which is close to the GTI but more suitable for the blue rinse set, the RS is for you.

I like my RS, but I loved my GTI. All I have read says the GTI is stiffer and more advanced.

As for the Jetta, I was told by a dealer not to even look at the car when I was looking for a family car. Knowing my penchant for supportive suspension and great dynamics, they said I would be dissapointed. A quick drive confirmed it was softer than the RS and less practical and only came as a DSG. The RS is better, but the GTI is king.

kenvik_7
26-05-2009, 11:39 AM
Thanks a lot Mr Golf, you have summarised the differences between the GTI and RS quite well.
I do love stiff suspensions, which makes the whole car very taut and a real pleasure to drive around in hilly areas.
But for me, right now, I trying to convince myself that since I'm about get married later this year, its time for a mid size sedan with a big boot and 5 doors :frown:, - or more - that is what my fiance is trying to convince me!
I am fiighting tooth and nail for my right to own a 3-door GTI :biggrin:(assuming that it will be launched along with the 5 door version later this year), but I'm guessing this is going to be a long battle...
Mr Golf - one quick question - if you see the youtube video I've posted in my earlier post, does your RS also understeer this much? is it on 18inch 225/40 tyres or 17inch ones? Overall would you say that the RS is atleast 80% as fun to drive as the GTI? or not even close to that?
Thanks

woofy
26-05-2009, 11:55 AM
Add in that maybe....maybe the Skoda doesn't have as many quality control issues and is theoretically cheaper than a VW for the same parts. Service wise we seem to be paying more than the UK counterparts.

mrgolf
26-05-2009, 02:10 PM
Kenvik, the RS is a fine car. If I had never driven a GTI, I would be really impressed with it. I am still impressed with it, but it is not quite as fun as a GTI and also lacks the unquantifiable x/ badge factor the GTI has. To be honest, it is close between them. The Skoda is just a little less composed over bumpy sections.

As for understeer, you would have to be fairly ambitious on entry speed to get drastic understeer, or be on fairly bumpy or corrugated roads. I actually think it has more front end grip on smooth surfaces. More weight over the back wheels account for this. Tiff Needel thinks there is little to seperate the two on a track. I reckon with better spring rates and damping, the RS would be a better drive.

For a back to back, read this article. The RS and 3dr GTI in the story are mine.

http://www.ausmotive.com/2008/11/16/drive-thru-skoda-octavia-rs.html

Tick
26-05-2009, 05:14 PM
Kenvik, the RS is a fine car. If I had never driven a GTI, I would be really impressed with it. I am still impressed with it, but it is not quite as fun as a GTI and also lacks the unquantifiable x/ badge factor the GTI has. To be honest, it is close between them. The Skoda is just a little less composed over bumpy sections.

As for understeer, you would have to be fairly ambitious on entry speed to get drastic understeer, or be on fairly bumpy or corrugated roads. I actually think it has more front end grip on smooth surfaces. More weight over the back wheels account for this. Tiff Needel thinks there is little to seperate the two on a track. I reckon with better spring rates and damping, the RS would be a better drive.

For a back to back, read this article. The RS and 3dr GTI in the story are mine.

http://www.ausmotive.com/2008/11/16/drive-thru-skoda-octavia-rs.html

Love that story. It is such a great read. Before buying my vRS, I read this story quite a few times. While it did not convince me to buy the car (I was going to buy it regardless) it put my mind at ease that I was not buying a dud car. OOOOOOOH how right that was. I really love my Octy. It puts a smile on my dial every time I drive it.

kenvik_7
27-05-2009, 12:44 PM
That is a great comparison between the GTI and the RS - well written by you and your friend. You have given me enough confidence to think that the RS is not that bad at all. And like you said, since you had the 3-door GTI for a long time, you can now compare every little shortcoming of the RS. For me, I may as well directly just go for the RS, and in fact not even test drive the GTI....this at least I stay away from what is 'awesome' so that I can be contended with is 'just cool' :)
Thanks again Mr. Golf (Steve)... you been great help.

kenvik_7
27-05-2009, 12:50 PM
on a different topic guys........any one knows the stupid logic behind why Skoda is only bringing steering remote controls on the 3-spoke wheel - for RS with DSG + paddle shifts - and NOT for the 3-spoke manual RS model?

However from the Aussie brochure for the new standard Octy, you can see that the 4-spoke steering wheel has remote control buttons for both manual and dsg (even the basic 1.6Ltr manual gets these controls!)

That just sucks! its clear discrimination against people who love their RS with a traditional manual shifter :brutal:

woofy
27-05-2009, 09:54 PM
Didn't realise that, maybe they figure if you have the ability to reach over and change gears you can probably use the stereo controls as well.

MJKooLio
27-05-2009, 09:56 PM
haha ha

mrgolf
27-05-2009, 10:38 PM
Thanks again Mr. Golf (Steve)... you been great help.

First time I have been accused of that.

No probs. Drive the GTI anyway cos they are so good to drive. Then buy the Skoda if you need the room. I reckon if the facelifted RS has better suspension it will be a winner. For me, my next car will be a GTI. Maybe MkVI, maybe MkVII.

kenvik_7
28-05-2009, 02:49 PM
Nice one woofy :)

anyword on when the new VRS is expected to touch down here? I asked the Adelaide dealer and he didn't really have any idea - he took a wild guess and said sometime in Nov-Dec, at least 1 - 2 months after GTI
any one heard of similar timing?

woofy
28-05-2009, 05:04 PM
I've heard Sept a few times, they would be wanting them then, nothing like launching a new car brand and missing the flagship for so many months. The RS has made the bulk of the sales so far.

kenvik_7
30-05-2009, 12:49 PM
cheers Woofy.....it would be gr8 to see the RS become available from September.

For anyone interested, the new generic RS brochure is out
http://new.skoda-auto.com/com/model/newoctavia/individualities/Pages/rs.aspx

I can't make out from the wording whether xenons are standard or not....but I'm really hoping they are! also I'm yet to see any pics of the RS with normal halogen headlamps.

indulis
31-05-2009, 01:58 PM
well it is in the uk
http://www.skoda.co.uk/ourcars.aspx

navigate from "our cars"

also the UK general Octavia brochure includes the vRS
http://www.skoda.co.uk/pdf/brochure_octavia.pdf

Xenons are an option at 550 pounds = $1111

And get this, auto dimming rear view mirror is standard on Elegance and an option on vRS. Huh?

brad
01-06-2009, 12:10 PM
And get this, auto dimming rear view mirror is standard on Elegance and an option on vRS. Huh?

useless extra if you intend getting aftermarket tint.

woofy
01-06-2009, 12:45 PM
I've had tint on all my cars to date and you still need to dip the rear view when some tool blinds you from behind, the Skodas mirror has been great cause I don't need to bother anymore.

UK specs don't usually match ours, we got a lot of things included that they had as options, I doubt we won't have the auto dimming mirror here, even Mazda have that in the range now.

brad
01-06-2009, 01:06 PM
I've had tint on all my cars to date and you still need to dip the rear view when some tool blinds you from behind, the Skodas mirror has been great cause I don't need to bother anymore.

I had a car up my clacker last night & was experimenting with the autodip function and nothing was happening (pre-tint it was excellant).
Maybe it's because:

I have very dark tint
i have the slopey window hatch which accentuates the darkness

NB: the lights weren't annoying me. i was just bored & pushing buttons to see if it made any difference.

woofy
01-06-2009, 03:07 PM
I have the normal sedan/hatch with legal tint darkness and I'm pretty sure its still working. Maybe with really dark tint its not enough for it to have any effect?

brad
01-06-2009, 04:00 PM
I have the normal sedan/hatch with legal tint darkness and I'm pretty sure its still working. Maybe with really dark tint its not enough for it to have any effect?
probably.

I'm on 20%.

mrgolf
01-06-2009, 05:46 PM
Im with woofy. I had darkest legal on both the MkV GTI and RS, and I havent had any trouble at all with auto dim. A great standard feature on the Octy MkII. I drove the MkII Golf GTI the other day with tint and not auto dim and was pestered constantly by poorly adjusted lights behind me. You dont miss your water til its dry...

dazag
27-06-2009, 08:48 PM
We've just put our deposit down on a new ( new facelift version) Brilliant Silver coloured RS Wagon - TDI with DSG. Our delivery date is 14 Sep, we've been told the shipment gets in in late August and after the window tint and tow bar is fitted we get to pick it up.
What we've found out is a few of the "options" from the previous model are now Standard fit. Dont go off the UK brochure as the Aussie ones are a little different.
We went for the diesel as I will be doing a bit of towing and with the extra torque and economy. Am looking forward to getting the little beast.

MJKooLio
28-06-2009, 12:27 AM
Congrats! Want photos when you get it please! :D

kenvik_7
28-06-2009, 10:29 AM
Wow, congratulations dazag. Mind sharing how much did you strike the deal for?
Also, are xenons standard on the australian version of the facelifted RS? and does it come with 18" neptune wheels or the 17" zeniths?
Thanks

dazag
30-06-2009, 08:19 PM
I've been told the new Face lift version will be exactly as the Euro brochure, but with 18"s instead of the 17" wheels. Unsure if it will be 18" Neptunes or Zenith wheels though, I'm sure it's written on our order somewhere Now the way i read the brochure, the Xenons are standard, either that or the light washers are standard with the Xenons - just depends on how you read it.

The Face lift RS brochure is not as detailed as the previous Rs brochure so it's still a little open to exactly the "standard' configuration is. I guess it will be a little surprise for us ha ha ha ha.

Will word ya's up once we have it in our hot little hands.

kenvik_7
02-07-2009, 02:00 PM
Thanks for the info dazag.
I'm guessing based on the UK brochure released on 1st July, the VRS will have 18" neptunes, although I personally would have preferred 18" zeniths.
I just hope Skoda Oz provide Xenons as standard, which a lot of other companies have started doing - such as Subaru, Mazda etc for their hot hatches / sedans.
fingers crossed.

selurs
11-07-2009, 04:16 AM
Test drove an Octavia RS (TSI) at the 'new' Skoda Melville "dealership" in Perth (by this I mean a guy who stands around in the Peugeot dealer waiting for people to ask about the mysterious 'Skoda').

Strangely, it included the updated interior (Bolero stereo, new climate control/heated seat control etc), but was the old exterior. Odd. Now, the dealer insisted that this was the "new model". I'm sure that he's wrong (after all, he'd been on the job two days at this point), but later he called me back and told me that while the Australian model RS will still look like the 'old' RS, he can get the RS spec with the new face. Hmm. Again, I'm reasonably certain that he's wrong, and it's just that DVG (the only Skoda dealer in Perth) have been in the job for all of a week so they're not really sure what's what, but it's a little concerning.

For me personally, I think at this point, I'll wait a few weeks to let them get themselves sorted out before I go into more depth (and of course, by that time, the new Mazda 3 MPS should be out, to give just a bit of added bargaining power when/if it comes to trying to strike a deal).

Be very interested to hear any experiences others have attempting to get hold of the new face-lifted model.

PS: The only other Skoda sitting around the dealership was a spanking new Superb - much bigger than I'd thought they'd be. Rather handsome too, next to a bunch of Peugeots and Hyundais!

woofy
11-07-2009, 10:20 AM
They have had face lift interiors for the last few months. The outside facelift is coming in another month or so, they stopped making the one you drove. SO it really depends on what outside you like, as the insides are the same.

dazag
11-07-2009, 06:56 PM
The first Shipment of new Face lift Octavia RS's is due in mid August and will hit the showroom floors the start of September.
The current RS may have some of the new interior but i'd doubt it has all the new "standard" features of the Face Lift version.

The New RS Face Lift version comes with steering wheel controls ( stereo etc) and if you have a DSG version it will have paddles on the steering wheel also. Still need to confirm if it comes standard with the Xenon head lights.

Get the salesman to do a little research and contact VW Australia to get the low down.

From what i believe the Face Lift RS I have ordered is the only silver wagon 2.0 TDI DSG in this first shipment - am counting the days until delivery.

Gaz
12-07-2009, 11:24 PM
Dazag,
looks like your car is on the same ship as mine...
I ordered an RS way back at the start of april. There were none available to our specs, (petrol, wagon, DSG, Xenons in red) so we were in for a wait.
A few weeks after the order was placed, we learned that our car would get the facelift, not the old style we were expecting.
So it's good to be getting the new looks, but it seems like a long time to wait.

If it turns out that Xenons are standard, I am not sure where we stand, as I paid extra already..

pinzvidz
13-07-2009, 09:58 AM
The New RS Face Lift version comes with steering wheel controls ( stereo etc) and if you have a DSG version it will have paddles on the steering wheel also. Still need to confirm if it comes standard with the Xenon head lights.

I posted a msg about this in this thread (http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/newforum/upload/showthread.php?t=30067) the other day. The pre-facelift RS's in the last couple of months already have the facelift interior (my dad just scored a BM liftback). Not just newer steering wheel, but newer instruments, newer stereo, newer climate etc. Xenons not standard though. I love it so much more than the wife's GTI.

woofy
13-07-2009, 01:41 PM
Yep the only real difference is the petrol engine is slightly different in the new exterior update and the exterior itself is different. The insides have been updated (and are the same) since really Feb/March although I think only the DSG cars get the steering wheel controls....I was quite peeved as I asked late last year when the interior update was coming and was told late this year, so I got the original version....but really would have liked the updated insides. Oh well.

MJKooLio
10-08-2009, 11:36 AM
September is the time for the new facelift version of the vRS....

I might have a look at a Blue DSG current shape one this week at the new Dealership in Melville but I can wait till the new shape... unless..... :-D

VRS-Vic
11-08-2009, 02:44 PM
Not a big fan of the new headlights on the face lift.

But i love the LED lights above the fog lights! I wonder if you'll be able to buy that as an option?

MJKooLio
11-08-2009, 05:43 PM
Not a big fan of the new headlights on the face lift.

But i love the LED lights above the fog lights! I wonder if you'll be able to buy that as an option?

I'm not sure if you can get them as an option (if your talking basic models of the new facelift version) as the whole front bumper is different to the base, elegance and ambiente models.....

I'm kinda liking the new vRS facelift.... it looks great in this blue... but not so much the wagon, prefer the liftback.

http://img2.netcarshow.com/Skoda-Octavia_RS_Combi_2010_800x600_wallpaper_02.jpg

dazag
11-08-2009, 06:10 PM
Got phone call today from our dealership that the vRS shipment has hit Aussie shores today, now just going through all the customs stuff etc.
so looks like we'll be getting our new vRS TDI before the end of this month - woo hoo. They're keeping us informed on how the process is going up until the delivery so am glad to be getting the beast almost 3 weeks earlier then planned.

MJKooLio
11-08-2009, 06:14 PM
Got phone call today from our dealership that the vRS shipment has hit Aussie shores today, now just going through all the customs stuff etc.
so looks like we'll be getting our new vRS TDI before the end of this month - woo hoo. They're keeping us informed on how the process is going up until the delivery so am glad to be getting the beast almost 3 weeks earlier then planned.

Ah.....!!!!! :banana::banana::banana:

Please post pics when you get her!!!

What are you getting? Details!

Jake02
11-08-2009, 08:35 PM

*Agrees uncontrollably*

dazag
12-08-2009, 04:53 AM

I'm getting a bright metallic silver vRS Wagon with the 2.0 TDI (125kw, 350Nm) with DSG. only extra's I'm getting is a Tow Bar, but will also be getting tinting done after we take delivery.

Oh I'll make sure I get pics, and I'll also be taking video footage and making up my own little ad to post up so keep an eye out.........ha ha ha ha

paul_segr
12-08-2009, 09:37 AM

Dazag, I just found out the same too, the dealer is hoping to have the car in the next few days, so fingers crossed for delivery in the next 10 days or so.

Ocy_RS_TDi_Kombi
12-08-2009, 11:22 PM
What sort of towbar are you getting & approx what is the cost? Thanks

Gaz
13-08-2009, 08:35 AM
Me too!
My car was ordered way back in April, and has just arrived on the docks.
It is a red petrol RS wagon, I paid extra for the Bluetooth, MDI, MFS and DSG (that's a lot of TLAs) as well as the Xenons.
It is still unclear if the Xenons are now standard on the FL RS, but you other guys will know before I do.

I am out of town, so it may still be a couple of weeks before I can change over to the new car.

One thing that irks me slightly is that the Kiwis all get the upgraded stereo as standard (12 speakers and additional Amplifier), I would have added that if I knew it was available.

Still, I am happy now that the car is close, it has been a looooong wait.

paul_segr
13-08-2009, 09:36 AM
Me too!
My car was ordered way back in April, and has just arrived on the docks.
It is a red petrol RS wagon, I paid extra for the Bluetooth, MDI, MFS and DSG (that's a lot of TLAs) as well as the Xenons.
It is still unclear if the Xenons are now standard on the FL RS, but you other guys will know before I do.

I am out of town, so it may still be a couple of weeks before I can change over to the new car.

One thing that irks me slightly is that the Kiwis all get the upgraded stereo as standard (12 speakers and additional Amplifier), I would have added that if I knew it was available.

Still, I am happy now that the car is close, it has been a looooong wait.

The reply I got from Skoda Australia when I asked about Xenon and Leather was

"The images on Skoda-auto.com are illustrative only. Same as in Europe, the Xenon headlights with dynamic angle control and Leather seats (in dark) will be optional on RS"

Hope this helps.

FezV10
13-08-2009, 10:39 AM
I'm thinking about placing an order for a new faclifted vRS Wagon in Black:
- DSG
- Xenons
- Sat Nav
- Sunroof
- Leather - apparently the new model has neater seats (they're only leather / alcantarra) so not sure if I should order this.

I drove the diesel and petrol back to back and found the diesel much nicer to drive. Although the petrol was brand new (29kms) and no where near as good as the GTI's I've driven previously. I put this down to the additional weight but then read it's only 60kgs heavier than the Golf. I think the engine needed to loosen up or something.
Coming from a V10TDI Touareg, nothing in this world has enough torque, but the diesel pulled hard when rolling. That said, the spes of the petrol make it seem heaps faster on paper at least.

At the risk of sounding crass, what sort of price do you think I should be paying? The resale frightens me (carsales have 1-2 YO cars with 20km for ~$30k mark!).

indulis
13-08-2009, 12:41 PM
Well there were a heap of Skoda vRS's around at the start of the year with those sorts of specs for about $30-$32K, usually under 10K on the clock. So if you were going to wait for 6 months after the vRS is released you'd probably pick one up for about $35K, as the 2nd hand Skodas have gone up in price.

I spec'ed up a "normal" Octavia with similar accessories (except no Sat Nav) and it was around $39K (+ on road costs). This was a 1.8 petrol with the new 7 speed DSG (very very nice to drive- drove the sedan, similar power/torque/economy to vRS diesel).

I'd expect about $4-5K over this price for the vRS so around $43-45 for a new car? :confused:

Skoda had their sale at the end of last year (free on-road costs as far as I can recall), the dealers did not seem interested in "end of June" deals. Might be worth seeing when they close off their sales books for the year and report to the parent company- the sales person will tell you.

All I can say is have a look at the 1.8L engine- it is also cheaper to service, as it has a timing CHAIN so one less $1500 thing to change at around 60000 km! Someone on Briskoda told me to stop being fixated on the vRS and look at the this option.

I ended up with a demo 2.0L diesel octavia elegance sedan with sunroof and xenons for $27K with 6000 km on the clock, could not justify my desire for the newer model based on the $12000 savings. And the 103kw diesel can be chipped up to around 125 kw if desired.

If you are not stuck on the 2009 model there is still an unregistered blue wagon diesel VRS with sunroof and xenons at Osborne Park (WA) Volkswagen which I passed on for the $39,500 price they were asking. This has been on their lot for 9 months now, and is still unregistered. They must be getting a but tired of it I would think!

FezV10
13-08-2009, 02:18 PM
They must be getting a but tired of it I would think!

Wouldn't they be!!

I've seriously thought about the 1.8. What I really want is something with AWD but also DSG.
The dealer here in Vic had the 3.6 Superb as a demo from the factory and told me to take it for a spin around the block while he was working out some numbers for me.
What a great car!! Having had the 3.2V6 in an Audi A3 (R32 clone) and loving it, the Superb with 3.6 is a big step up in grunt and handling.

The dealer then teased me by saying that Skoda were contemplating a Scout with that 3.6 in it! My dream car - that's the same 3.6 as the base model Porsche Cayenne - and in a Scout! Not to be though, there's no such beast.

Either way I think I'll wait for something in a Demo. The specs I want push the new RS north of $50k which is just too much.
I'm stuck in my rented Toyata Aurion for another few months!!

gregozedobe
14-08-2009, 12:41 AM
All I can say is have a look at the 1.8L engine- it is also cheaper to service, as it has a timing CHAIN so one less $1500 thing to change at around 60000 km! Someone on Briskoda told me to stop being fixated on the vRS and look at the this option.

AFAIK the face lift (mk2.5) vRS also has the timing chain engine (but with 147Kw and 280Nm of course), so no difference in servicing costs.

Transporter
14-08-2009, 01:32 AM
If it's 2.0L BWA engine it has timing belt and the timing chain. The 1.8 engines have the belt only or timing belt with chain in the cylinder head for the camshafts.

brad
14-08-2009, 01:19 PM
If it's 2.0L BWA engine it has timing belt and the timing chain. The 1.8 engines have the belt only or timing belt with chain in the cylinder head for the camshafts.
I downloaded the 2.0L (don't know the codes but call it th TSI spec) training doco the other day. Not a belt to be seen. 1.8TSI is the same.

gregozedobe
14-08-2009, 06:56 PM
I downloaded the 2.0L (don't know the codes but call it th TSI spec) training doco the other day. Not a belt to be seen. 1.8TSI is the same.

Sounds right to me - the EA888 family engines, both the new 1.8 (4 valve engine) and the new 2.0 (also 4 valve) don't have belts for the cams.

According to Guy H ; "You can tell the new engine by the engine codes, the new ones have a 4 digit engine code starting with "C" (like CCTA)- the old ones have 3 digit (AXX, BWA, etc)". My "old" vRS has a BWA engine.

Jake02
18-08-2009, 05:45 PM
I had a preview of the new RS today in person. They had a TSI DSG hatch (in white just like mine) and a blue TSI manual wagon and I have to say that they are STUNNING in person. Really, really sharp design - I think it finally has the design to back up the performance. I'm somewhat pissed that the Xenon-headlamps aren't standard like they are in NZ, and it STILL doesn't have electric-folding mirrors (and yet the lower-spec TSI/TDI have them...). Other than that, it seems to be alot quieter from the outside (maybe the exhaust? I dunno) and the interior is just as high-quality as before and now features the Bolero radio, which is an excellent system to use.

You guys who have ordered them will be VERY impressed! :D

MJKooLio
18-08-2009, 05:51 PM
I had a preview of the new RS today in person. They had a TSI DSG hatch (in white just like mine) and a blue TSI manual wagon and I have to say that they are STUNNING in person. Really, really sharp design - I think it finally has the design to back up the performance. I'm somewhat pissed that the Xenon-headlamps aren't standard like they are in NZ, and it STILL doesn't have electric-folding mirrors (and yet the lower-spec TSI/TDI have them...). Other than that, it seems to be alot quieter from the outside (maybe the exhaust? I dunno) and the interior is just as high-quality as before and now features the Bolero radio, which is an excellent system to use.

Any photos?! =P

The brochure I was sent said it has Folding Mirrors..... :(

Are the Xenon at least optional? They also have an Optional Glass Roof/Sunroof I was quoted...

FezV10
18-08-2009, 05:52 PM
I had a preview of the new RS today in person. :D

Where did you see the new RS?
I've seen the images but nothing in the flesh yet.

I need to get a new car now but can't decide on the RS... It ticks all the boxes but I'm really worried about resale.

dazag
18-08-2009, 07:27 PM

Did ya see that them at Steve Jarvin - I guess you didn;t see a Silver wagon TDI with DSG?? I'd say it's out the back getting it's towbar fitted and pre delivery done. Hopefully will get a call sometime soon to come pick it up

Oh and Fez, I'm not too fussed over resale as i plan to hang onto my RS for a while.

woofy
18-08-2009, 08:28 PM
I think resale is actually going up at the moment. When they first came out, they got lots of stock in so waiting isn't an issue...ala VW at times. Now that they are established...it will all rely on the dealers backing up already sold cars.....so far thats been a bit hit and miss....but due to the waits now, prices have started creeping up.

Jake02
18-08-2009, 09:30 PM
OK everyone, I didn't quite expect that kind of response. I shouldn't probably say this but whatevs. Skoda Aus rang last week to see if they could put me in an interview on camera for a new website section they are creating, I suppose to give a realistic ownership experience from the owners. They turned up with a white 2.0TSI hatch, and blue TSI wagon, completely fresh off the boat. They filmed, asked questions, took pictures, had coffee and left to another Skoda owners' house in North Manly. AWESOME DAY!!!

MJKooLio -
Yeah I have a few pics - only Nokia E63 photos though...But I will try and post them asap. Judging from the cars previewed today (remember they could just be pre-production examples, I doubt it though) the Xenons are still optional yes and you can get a sunroof too. I think the brochures they had are the overseas models - a brochure for all Skoda markets, just to give a rough idea. BUT THE LED RUNNING LIGHTS ARE FANTASTIC!

FezV10 -
I think I've answered your question. And on resale, as more and more are sold, the resale goes up as people realise that they must be good cars.

dazag -
Lol no sorry not Steve Jarvin (but it is my dealer too! Matt sold me my car) but my very own house! Oh and if you get the car serviced at Steve Jarvin, MAKE SURE you check that everything claimed has been done. I haven't had the best experience with the Service Dep and next service I'm gonna try the dealer in Artarmon.

Why don't all the Sydney RS owners organise a cruise!? :D

TuNeS
18-08-2009, 11:54 PM
Hi, new to these forums and just saying "gday"

I have a Candy White FL vRS Wagon on order due to arrive soon. I opted for the manual/petrol combination.

As soon as I receive the car, I will post some photos! I cant wait!

dazag
19-08-2009, 02:34 AM
dazag -
Lol no sorry not Steve Jarvin (but it is my dealer too! Matt sold me my car) but my very own house! Oh and if you get the car serviced at Steve Jarvin, MAKE SURE you check that everything claimed has been done. I haven't had the best experience with the Service Dep and next service I'm gonna try the dealer in Artarmon.

Why don't all the Sydney RS owners organise a cruise!? :D

I'm based in Newcastle and will be getting the VW guys up here to service the car, as the Skoda dealership here doesn;t have their own service department. Oh and trust me I'm a stickler for how a servicing is carried out - I've had some fun with Mercedes before and being an aircrat technician myself, I'm very thorough with making sure everything is done as per their work sheets, or when i pick the RS up - the delivery sheet.

Lucky SOB with the Skoda guys making the visit to your house. I do video work on the side and have been playing with an "ad" idea that i will put together and possibly offer to VW/SKODA Aust for their use.
Maybe a Sydney RS cruise would be good footage to use.......:)

Gaz
19-08-2009, 07:18 AM
Dazag,
Why Steve Jarvin's?
I shopped around and despite a (tiny) moment of guilt, choose Jarvin's over our local dealer because the price was fair, and the dealer (Matt) seems to have integrity...
Who is doing your tint, and will it be strictly 75% or darker?

paul_segr
19-08-2009, 08:23 AM
Dazag,
Why Steve Jarvin's?
I shopped around and despite a (tiny) moment of guilt, choose Jarvin's over our local dealer because the price was fair, and the dealer (Matt) seems to have integrity...

I ended up getting mine from Wollongong, due to a similar experience as Gaz with the local dealer.

I spoke with the dealer yesterday, he was expecting my car (Black RS TDI Wagon) today, hopefully. He was chasing up to see where it was. I will post pics as soon as I pick it up.

dazag
19-08-2009, 09:17 PM
Dazag,
Why Steve Jarvin's?

We got a good deal with Matt, he was recommended to us by a guy who bought a Skoda of him a few weeks before. Plus Matt put the ground work in to get details about delivery dates etc. Where as the local guys here were plucking dates out of their a$$ I reckon and seemed scared to call Skoda Aust to confirm stuff for us. Although they did really look after us with test drives and matched Matt for the deal, but we felt more at ease spending our money with Matt.
I should give him a call and see how our Silver TDI wagon is coming along, although I might not be able to pick it up for a couple of weeks as the wife is so close to giving birth to our first baby........the skoda may have to wait for pick up.

We're getting our tint done locally now as we wanted darker then the Standard tint.

Jake02
22-08-2009, 07:35 PM
Hey y'all,

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=3804401&l=1961137798&id=668475019
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=3804400&l=033c00de54&id=668475019
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=3804396&l=5a5d588b82&id=668475019

The shots of the new RS from the shoot at my house on my Facebook page (oh btw if anyone has a Skoda and Facebook join the group SKoda Car Club Australia!). Sorry I don't have more, didn't have enough time! As I said before, you lot with orders on your new RS' will LOVE them!

MJKooLio
22-08-2009, 07:52 PM
Wait, what...... two at your house?!??!??!?

=D

TuNeS
22-08-2009, 08:29 PM
I am still eagerly awaiting the phone call so say "come and pick it up!". I went to the Skoda dealership today as my dad is looking to change his Liberty 3.0R over to a FL DSG Diesel Estate/Combi/Wagon. The salesman said it shouldnt be too long now! At least these photos confirm they are in the country. To make the wait even worse, I sold my car earlier than I expected......Public tranpsort is the pits!

Also, jsut a side note, one of the guys said they have landed a deal for the QLD police to start using some octavia's. This is good news as it will help raise the awareness of Skoda in Australia.

indulis
24-08-2009, 03:21 AM
I'm based in Newcastle and will be getting the VW guys up here to service the car, as the Skoda dealership here doesn;t have their own service department.

Just make sure that they actually can do full service and repairs, I tried to get a new key coded to my car a week ago and the 1st VW dealer I took it to could not do it. I had to take it to a VW dealer that had the Skoda <whatever_magic_thing_you_need_to_recode_for_new_ke ys>. So, I am thinking that the statement from Skoda that "all VW dealers can service Skoda" has its limits, sort of like taking your Skoda to TuneMasters or wherever- they can change the oil and do some of the servicing, but not all of it. I expect the VW dealers can do more than TuneMasters, but it would be nice to know exactly where the limits are- when I was thinking of buying a Skoda I rang up Skoda Australia and asked them about service (as the WA Skoda dealer at that time was closing down, new one open up now luckily). I was told then that all of the VW service centers could do Skoda. But it is not quite true.

FezV10
24-08-2009, 09:07 AM
Hey y'all,

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=3804401&l=1961137798&id=668475019
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=3804400&l=033c00de54&id=668475019
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=3804396&l=5a5d588b82&id=668475019

The shots of the new RS from the shoot at my house on my Facebook page (oh btw if anyone has a Skoda and Facebook join the group SKoda Car Club Australia!). Sorry I don't have more, didn't have enough time! As I said before, you lot with orders on your new RS' will LOVE them!
I'm in final negotiations with the Skoda dealer on a Black RS Petrol Wagon and the these pics confirm I'm making the right decision.
I've decided to get a burger with the lot:
DSG / Leather Upgrade / Sunroof / Sat Nav / Xenons / Front Sensors / Bluetooth / Media Device Interface / Darkest Legal Tint.

George from Skoda Richmond is very helpful and keen to do a deal - I'll publish what I paid when the deals done.

pinzvidz
24-08-2009, 10:34 AM
That'll be a nice car Fez. Our order won't be quite optioned up as much. Thinking about holding off just a few more months so our order can be build/compliance 2010.

Jake thanks for the pics!

Another winner for me with the RS - I'm impressed with VGA's decision to lower the octane requirement to 95RON for most TSI engines, which of course, includes the RS.

gregozedobe
24-08-2009, 11:03 AM
Just make sure that they actually can do full service and repairs, I tried to get a new key coded to my car a week ago and the 1st VW dealer I took it to could not do it. I had to take it to a VW dealer that had the Skoda <whatever_magic_thing_you_need_to_recode_for_new_ke ys>. So, I am thinking that the statement from Skoda that "all VW dealers can service Skoda" has its limits, sort of like taking your Skoda to TuneMasters or wherever- they can change the oil and do some of the servicing, but not all of it. I expect the VW dealers can do more than TuneMasters, but it would be nice to know exactly where the limits are- when I was thinking of buying a Skoda I rang up Skoda Australia and asked them about service (as the WA Skoda dealer at that time was closing down, new one open up now luckily). I was told then that all of the VW service centers could do Skoda. But it is not quite true.

I had the same experience with my Octy when I wanted a spare key coded. In fact I think I may have been the first Octy owner in Oz to try to get it done, and my dealer WAS a Skoda dealer as well. That's was when they discovered that Skodas need a different security arrangement than VWs. My impression was that it didn't need a different (software) tool, but was more a proper authorisation for security purposes (ie more documentation than mechanical).

Also note that as long as you have the security code that came with the original keys (on a plastic tab) then I believe (but am not certain) you can code new keys using VCDS, unlike recent VWs which need a code from the factory to do the job. This was for a 2008 skoda, the latest ones may be different. In fact, the VW dealer probably could have done the recoding for me if they had asked for my security code (rather than trying to get the factory code online).

I haven't researched this, so again I cannot be certain, but I believe that pretty well all the mechanical work (and almost all the electronic stuff except for keys) can be done by VW dealers (but they might not get the latest tech bulletins if Skoda Oz only send them out to Skoda dealers).

I certainly wouldn't have purchased a Skoda if VW wasn't a "backstop" for support (I don't like the issues you can get with orphan brands or models).

brad
24-08-2009, 02:41 PM
Just make sure that they actually can do full service and repairs, So, I am thinking that the statement from Skoda that "all VW dealers can service Skoda" has its limits, - they can change the oil and do some of the servicing, but not all of it. I expect the VW dealers can do more than TuneMasters, but it would be nice to know exactly where the limits are- when I was thinking of buying a Skoda I rang up Skoda Australia and asked them about service (as the WA Skoda dealer at that time was closing down, new one open up now luckily). I was told then that all of the VW service centers could do Skoda. But it is not quite true.
I made enquiries at Audi Sutherland (close to home) about getting the 30,000km service done on the Octy. I gave them the list of service items so they knew what the service involved. Their reply:

We are able to everything that you mentioned as part of the 12 month minor service BUT we are unable to check the vehicle for recall campaigns, carry out any warranty repairs, check for fault codes or even reset the service indicator.
We do have the oil filters in stock for the Audi vehicles but if there is any difference with your vehicle then we will not have it.

We will not be able to carry out the required service for you as it will not be completed 100% due to the electronics not being able to be checked, service indicator reset or recalls checked.

The service costs for that engine in an Audi is $525.00 for the 12 month/15000km service.

I do not feel that we will be able to assist you with the required servicing on your vehicle.

So, at least the guy was honest & appeared to know what he was talking about.

If you are wondering why I went to the Audi dealer, it's because my engine is the same as the Audi model range & isn't fitted to any VWs. logically, i would expect that VW don't carry the oil filter for my car either.

brad
24-08-2009, 02:45 PM
Another winner for me with the RS - I'm impressed with VGA's decision to lower the octane requirement to 95RON for most TSI engines, which of course, includes the RS.
They didn't do it just to be nice, it's a mechanical issue.

The later chain drive TSIs have only ever needed 95ron as a minimum due to their better design.

It's a bit academic as they have more low down torque & get better fuel economy when run on 98ron.

Edit: My apologies. I wasn't aware that the VW range (not Skoda) still had a 98 ron requirement for their "modern" engines. I understand what you are talking about now.

TuNeS
25-08-2009, 02:57 PM
Has anyone else who has a FL vRS on order been given an updated delivery date? I have just been told 'soon'.

Gaz
28-08-2009, 08:02 AM
The pre-ordered cars may be at the dealers today, but that is not certain.

I see that Skoda managed to get a bunch of journos into the new cars before their customers.

I vote we start a new thread once we have our cars.

TuNeS
28-08-2009, 05:33 PM
I am hoping to get it next week. however if they cant get it to me by then, I will have to wait 4 weeks as I am going on holiday to the US for a month! It will be a nice surpise to come home to!

Jake02
28-08-2009, 10:37 PM
http://www.skoda.com.au/downloads/pdf-octaviars-brochure.pdf

The fully Aus-spec Octavia RS. Folding mirrors are apparently standard, but the alarm isn't (wtf??? My 2008 has it standard). VERY interestingly, a rear-wiper is available as an option on the Liftback (although its standard everywhere else and here its only available on the RS!!! :D) and yet it should be standard, like the Bi-xenon lights (and the Corner foglamps too). BUT overall I'm happy - its still bloody good value!

pinzvidz
30-08-2009, 02:19 PM
a rear-wiper is available as an option on the Liftback

Thank gawd. Rear wipers on vehicles that look like sedans are just plain silly IMO. One or two sedans of various manufacturers had them in the 90s. Naturally they didn't catch on.

MJKooLio
30-08-2009, 02:25 PM
Thank gawd. Rear wipers on vehicles that look like sedans are just plain silly IMO. One or two sedans of various manufacturers had them in the 90s. Naturally they didn't catch on.

They might look silly but they are pretty much worth it. I don't have a sedan, only a hatch but having/using rental sedans such as the silly falcon and not having a rear windscreen wiper and raining all the time, i'd go for the wiper on the back of the liftback Octavia vRS!

Jake02
30-08-2009, 03:59 PM
They might look silly but they are pretty much worth it. I don't have a sedan, only a hatch but having/using rental sedans such as the silly falcon and not having a rear windscreen wiper and raining all the time, i'd go for the wiper on the back of the liftback Octavia vRS!

I know right? The lack of a rear-wiper on my 08 RS Liftback really pisses me off - to get rain off I have to put the demister on (takes a while...) or get a shammy. Very annoying! Luckily the new one has it as an option...

MJKooLio
30-08-2009, 04:18 PM
Jake02 you just giving me crap all the time? Ha

brad
30-08-2009, 04:49 PM
Lack of wiper on the liftback has never been an issue. I use rain-X on the side & rear windows & the water just falls off.

selurs
31-08-2009, 12:11 AM
Well, finally made a decision and signed on the dotted line for a FL Octavia RS TSI DSG liftback in Sprint Yellow (yas gots to haves the yellows! :-D )

Sadly the dealer tells me that my choice of colour isn't exactly popular, so they're going to have to cook a fresh one for me, which means I won't be taking delivery until...December :( Oh well, gives me a few more months of anticipation, and to read all about the lucky so-and-sos who get their very own ones sooner rather than later.

One point of interest with the order is that the dealer swore black-and-blue that the Xenons are standard (signed the form week before last, before the FL brochure was up on Skoda.com.au), which they're, well, not. Now, I'm actually not all that worried about NOT getting them (which is why I didn't push the point in the first place), but it has got me to wondering if I'll be able to get any sort of discount/free stuff from them for getting it wrong. I checked the contract, and there's no mention of "specifications may vary" or anything like that. Anyone else had experience where an ordered car showed up missing a feature they were told they would get?

Oh, and also, what's with electric seats not being available on the RS? I guess it's 'cause they're sports seats, but you'd have thought they'd make it available to get the extra $$ out of people anyway. Oh well. Saved my wallet a bit there...

TuNeS
31-08-2009, 08:32 AM
Well, finally made a decision and signed on the dotted line for a FL Octavia RS TSI DSG liftback in Sprint Yellow (yas gots to haves the yellows! :-D )

Sadly the dealer tells me that my choice of colour isn't exactly popular, so they're going to have to cook a fresh one for me, which means I won't be taking delivery until...December :( Oh well, gives me a few more months of anticipation, and to read all about the lucky so-and-sos who get their very own ones sooner rather than later.

One point of interest with the order is that the dealer swore black-and-blue that the Xenons are standard (signed the form week before last, before the FL brochure was up on Skoda.com.au), which they're, well, not. Now, I'm actually not all that worried about NOT getting them (which is why I didn't push the point in the first place), but it has got me to wondering if I'll be able to get any sort of discount/free stuff from them for getting it wrong. I checked the contract, and there's no mention of "specifications may vary" or anything like that. Anyone else had experience where an ordered car showed up missing a feature they were told they would get?

Oh, and also, what's with electric seats not being available on the RS? I guess it's 'cause they're sports seats, but you'd have thought they'd make it available to get the extra $$ out of people anyway. Oh well. Saved my wallet a bit there...

You could try and hit them up for some of the smaller accessories. With myn, I got them to throw in the boot floor protecter which is quite handy. Once you have signed the dotted line, they dont give anything away as you have legal contract and unless the word 'xenon' appeard on your contract it means nothing. When I ordered myn, I got the salesperson to confirm all the features he was tell me about on the contract (eg. bolero, 18" wheels, floor mats) as I was worried about the same thing and there was no official spec list. But DO try and hit them up for something. You don't get if you don't ask!

Congrats on your purchase though! Each to their own on colour choice. If we all had the same taste, this world would be boring :) A lot or people tell me I am too bland and boring for choosing white.....

woofy
31-08-2009, 11:48 AM
I bought our 6 and paid extra for extended warranty. When it came time to pick it up, it turned out that Mazda were doing a promo that it was eligible for where you get free extended warranty, free rego and 4 yrs roadside service......so naturally I asked whether I could be refunded the several hundred dollars for the warranty..as it was specifically listed there with the amount paid extra for it.

I got nothing, Mazda HQ said I had to take it up with the dealer...the dealer said the deal is done. The dealer didn't even tell me on pickup that I got all these extra things, as they probably didn't want me asking for the difference then, it was when Mazda HQ rang to send me the welcome pack that they told me.

selurs
31-08-2009, 11:26 PM
Thanks TuNeS and Woofy, I was already pretty much of the thought that I'm not going to get much out of them, but by the same token, I figure they'll probably try harder on pickup day (as the car is by then in their stock) than they would if I tried to negotiate anything now. Not that I expect too much, plus with only one dealer in Perth, I'm not all that keen to push them too far, just in case I need some after-sales care.

Well, at least it's some food for thought while I wait for the car to arrive :countsheep:

dazag
03-09-2009, 05:37 PM
Have been told that my vRS is ready to pick up, just getting my financials finalised and making sure the wife is fine for me to leave her and our new baby boy at home whilst I have fun heading down to Sydney to pick up the FL vRS Octavia wagon 2.0 TDI DSG. Will then get the windows tinted and then take some pics to post up later next week. Woo hoo - what a week - A new born son and a new Car

spellbound
03-09-2009, 06:06 PM
Guys i have been admiring the better looking seats in the latest rs , in the 360deg brochure on the skoda oz site .

tell me they havent dropped the adjustable arm rest , because there is'nt one showing just a bin , shame so much comfort in that arm rest , one of the things i love in mine .

TuNeS
03-09-2009, 06:11 PM
Have been told that my vRS is ready to pick up, just getting my financials finalised and making sure the wife is fine for me to leave her and our new baby boy at home whilst I have fun heading down to Sydney to pick up the FL vRS Octavia wagon 2.0 TDI DSG. Will then get the windows tinted and then take some pics to post up later next week. Woo hoo - what a week - A new born son and a new Car

Congrats on your new born son! and the car of course. Eager to see photos!

K1W1
06-09-2009, 09:53 AM
Hi,

Just thought I'd say hello. I have ordered an Anthracite vRS diesel hatch in manual that should be here early October I hope. I went with standard seats and radio (a 16Gb SD card is a whole lot cheaper then the upgraded radio and I already have a TomTom) but added the MDI interface, Bluetooth, Xenon lights and on a whim went for the turning fog lights as well.

I think this little beastie should complement the Audi S3 that lives in the garage rather nicely.

Can anybody tell me whether the headlights are bi-xenon (Xenon on high and low) or simply xenon on low. I assume that they are probably the latter.

After attending the recent Audi drive day in Qld and doing a couple of hot laps in a diesel vRS with Jack Perkins at the wheel I must say these little cars go and go really hard. I was surprised.

Jake02
07-09-2009, 07:35 PM
Hi,

Just thought I'd say hello. I have ordered an Anthracite vRS diesel hatch in manual that should be here early October I hope. I went with standard seats and radio (a 16Gb SD card is a whole lot cheaper then the upgraded radio and I already have a TomTom) but added the MDI interface, Bluetooth, Xenon lights and on a whim went for the turning fog lights as well.

I think this little beastie should complement the Audi S3 that lives in the garage rather nicely.

Can anybody tell me whether the headlights are bi-xenon (Xenon on high and low) or simply xenon on low. I assume that they are probably the latter.

After attending the recent Audi drive day in Qld and doing a couple of hot laps in a diesel vRS with Jack Perkins at the wheel I must say these little cars go and go really hard. I was surprised.

Welcome, wow you seem to really like good-quality/tasteful/very nice cars! Mhmmmmmm S3 - very nice too! The new grey on the Octavia RS is very nice (makes it look even meaner! :D) and the Xenon-ness extends to low beam only :( I hope you enjoy it! Pics when it arrives please! Might convince me to trade in my 2008 RS...:D

TuNeS
08-09-2009, 01:44 PM
My Candy White vRS Manual TSI Wagon arrived at the dealer today. They have to put the towbar on it and prep it, however I go overseas tomorrow for a month on holiday, so I cant pick it up until October 5!!

It was parked next to a pre-FL Yellow vRS. I am really happy with my decision to buy a new one as the pre-FL looked really dated in comparison to the FL parked next to it IMO.

Anyway, here is a photo taken from my phone.

http://www.tagseq.com/wp-content/gallery/skoda/photo3.jpg

I will detail it when I finally get it in a month and will post some pics with my thoughts!

Transporter
08-09-2009, 02:09 PM
My Candy White vRS Manual TSI Wagon arrived at the dealer today. They have to put the towbar on it and prep it, however I go overseas tomorrow for a month on holiday, so I cant pick it up until October 5!!

It was parked next to a pre-FL Yellow vRS. I am really happy with my decision to buy a new one as the pre-FL looked really dated in comparison to the FL parked next to it IMO.

Anyway, here is a photo taken from my phone.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/

I will detail it when I finally get it in a month and will post some pics with my thoughts!

I'm sure that somebody from the forum can drive it for you. :)
Congratulations anyway mate, nice car.;)

K1W1
08-09-2009, 10:24 PM
The new grey on the Octavia RS is very nice (makes it look even meaner!

Thanks. We owned an Antharcite Porsche and a similar coloured BMW in the 80's and I really like the colour. It hasn't really been around on cars for the last few years so I thought I'd give it a go on the vRS.

dazag
12-09-2009, 09:36 PM
Here is a couple of pics i took of my new RS this afternoon. Just need to get the windows tinted soon and will look schmick.

http://i426.photobucket.com/albums/pp341/dazag313/Skodafront2.jpg
http://i426.photobucket.com/albums/pp341/dazag313/Skodafront.jpg
http://i426.photobucket.com/albums/pp341/dazag313/Skodarightside.jpg
http://i426.photobucket.com/albums/pp341/dazag313/SkodaLeftsun.jpg
http://i426.photobucket.com/albums/pp341/dazag313/IMG_4592.jpg

MJKooLio
12-09-2009, 10:07 PM
I hate you

TuNeS
12-09-2009, 11:05 PM
looks the 'business'! Can't wait to get home and pick myn up now.

MJKooLio
13-09-2009, 12:56 AM
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/

LOOK AT THAT INTERIOR!!!!!! :P:P:P:P:P

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

VRS-Vic
14-09-2009, 11:15 AM
I want the LED lights, they look great at night.

and that interior is just amazing! 10/10

paul_segr
24-09-2009, 07:47 PM
My Black RS TDi wagon was delivered today. It looks fantastic.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/09/picturephpalbumid23pictureid115-1.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/09/picturephpalbumid23pictureid116-1.jpg

Gaz
24-09-2009, 09:09 PM
Black is the new black! It looks very nice indeed.
And not a trace of red dust, was the car inside the dealers the other night when it rained?

paul_segr
24-09-2009, 09:15 PM
It came from Wollongong today, so I am guessing they had it inside after having it detailed or they managed to miss the dusty downpour.

backdoc
01-10-2009, 10:18 PM
I ordered mine yesterday! :banana: Candy White petrol dsg RS wagon. Optioned leather, sunroof, tow and will get nice dark tint afterwards. Only problem now is delivery ain't until Feb 2010. That sucks big time!

To make matters worse I just sold my other car which means cabs for 4 months. Anyone selling a cheap run about or has a spare car for 4 months?

Graybags
01-10-2009, 10:37 PM
Congrats backdoc, Candy white is a great colour with dark tint.
Buggar about selling your car so early but should be worth the wait for the new ride.
-gt

TuNeS
05-10-2009, 06:40 PM
Got back from my OS holiday and picked up my Candy White, FL, Petrol, Manual Wagon/Combi today. Wow.......What a beautiful car to drive. The quality is brilliant.

I will detail it this weekend and give it its initial wax and take some photos for you guys.

So far, my expectations have been exceeded and they were high to begin with.

My Dad should pick his up later this week as well, so I know of two in Brisbane :)

Graybags
05-10-2009, 07:44 PM
Congrats, btw whats a combi?

Sales @ Mentone Skoda
05-10-2009, 08:02 PM
Some good news guys,

We sold our first Skoda today on our debut into the Franchise and it was a Race Blue Octavia RS Liftback DSG, Leather and Nav.

Our client will pick it up this Friday and will be seen in the bayside area from then on.

Obviously i won't post on every sale but i thought i would let you know that we are well and truly up and running now and looking forward to the future.

Cheers

Chris

TuNeS
05-10-2009, 08:07 PM
Congrats, btw whats a combi?

Another word for 'Wagon' or 'Estate'

wombatoutofhell
05-10-2009, 09:44 PM
Congratulations Mentone-hope it's the first of many.
Tell me-do you have factory floor mats in stock and if so what are they worth? My car is a 2007 RS Combi/estate/wagon.

nyc863
06-10-2009, 01:09 AM
I locked in an order today for a blue wagon, petrol, DSG .. it was at the dealer so no wait, not a demonstrator, and has charcoal leather, sunroof and those weird fog turn signal things. Should get it within 14 days I hope.
Going to fit some of the dealer skoda original accessories.

Our previous family car was a reliable and comfortable golf v tdi, but it was feeling a bit squeezy, so hopefully this change-over will work out. I love diesels, but after 3 years want a change for a bit.

other cars considered: subaru, tiguan, passat, a4 avant, merc c220 wagon and (briefly) various yummy-mommy vehicles like the volvo xc60, rx 450h & X5!

tiguan: rejected because it seemed small
audi Q5: unobtanium and half the price hidden in options
subaru: see them too often
passat: concerned about reliability, felt a bit bland
a4 avant: options drive the price sky high
merc c220: base model feels cheap inside, options = $$$s
xc60: wanted diesel, hated their diesel
rx 450h: a hybrid planet destroying SUV?
X5: at the daycare pickup time you can't swing a child without hitting four of them. No thanks.
new prius: very tempted..

I hope the vrs will not drone on long trips if so I'll get it dynamat'd to within an inch of its life!

woofy
06-10-2009, 07:08 AM
No droning, they have a nice exhaust note without the brain numbing drone.

nrb62
06-10-2009, 04:15 PM
Got back from my OS holiday and picked up my Candy White, FL, Petrol, Manual Wagon/Combi today. Wow.......What a beautiful car to drive. The quality is brilliant.

I will detail it this weekend and give it its initial wax and take some photos for you guys.

So far, my expectations have been exceeded and they were high to begin with.

My Dad should pick his up later this week as well, so I know of two in Brisbane :)

Hey Tunes, did you buy it from Brisbane Prestige? I saw one parked out in front of the service dept when I dropped my black RS wagon in for its first service

gregozedobe
06-10-2009, 11:32 PM
No droning, they have a nice exhaust note without the brain numbing drone.

Yes, my vRS engine (2.0 TFSI) is pretty quiet in highway cruising, but I can get a bit of road roar from the tyres (Michelin Exalto) on bitumen covered in the large aggregate gravel that is (unfortunately) so popular these days. On smooth roads it is much quieter.

nyc863
07-10-2009, 12:24 AM
That is what I had read in several reviews, it was about the only negative I could find repeated. so I was wondering. Something about the sound insulation not being too great, especially for those kinds of roads.

TuNeS
07-10-2009, 11:44 AM
Hey Tunes, did you buy it from Brisbane Prestige? I saw one parked out in front of the service dept when I dropped my black RS wagon in for its first service

Sure did. I picked it up on Monday. My dad should pick his silver one up this week too.

woofy
07-10-2009, 07:05 PM
I dunno if its sound insulation, those tyres make a racket on pretty much any car. A lot of people who complain about tyre noise always seem to have michelins.

spellbound
07-10-2009, 08:31 PM
I have continentals on my rs , same thing , quite noisy on rural roads , quiet in the city .

Maybe just from the rear , not enough insulation back there ?

What other tyres are being fitted to the rs ?

mjd
07-10-2009, 09:19 PM
Mine came with Dunlop SP Sport maxx

woofy
08-10-2009, 07:59 PM
I think those are the three types people encounter, the Dunlops seem to wear the quickest, at one stage people could get what type they asked for, but I suspect they were just swapping wheels around in the storage yards.

gregozedobe
08-10-2009, 10:14 PM
..... at one stage people could get what type they asked for, but I suspect they were just swapping wheels around in the storage yards.

That's what my dealer did (I wanted Michelins), but when I look at the very detailed Car Data for my wagon I noticed PR Number "V0A Tires w/o specification of tire brand" which seems to imply it is possible to specify what brand of tyre you want.

Whether the Skoda Oz ordering system is capable of accepting and properly processing such sophistication is another story altogether. There seem to be a whole lot of other build specs (PR Numbers) that didn't appear on the Oz list of options when I ordered mine eg:

(NB all these are prefixed with "w/o" or "without" for my wagon)

Special edition (E0A)
Special purpose vehicle (F0A)
Special Upgrade measures (GP0)
Adaptor (ND0)
Different battery alternator capacity
Compass/traffic sign display (QR0)
TV reception/digital radio reception (QV0)
Electric interface (UF0)
Hill hold control/hill descent (descent may be for Scouts only ? - UG0)
Extended pedestrian protection measures (VL0)
Mass damper for steering wheel (IQ0)
Additional engine guard (Scouts only ? - ISA)
First aid kit & warning triangle
"drive select" (whatever that is - 2H0)
Fuel tank differenttiation of special material treatment (flourination/co-extrusion) - 2LD
Partition (3CA)
Roof insert (3FA)
Child seat anchor front (ISOFIX)
Cargo area (???? mine does have a very large cargo area - 3GA )
Backrest release for front seats
Without Load-through provision (mine does have this ??? - 3X0)
Roll-up sun screen
Stowage box (mine has one under the passenger front seat - 3Z0)
Controls (???? - 4LA)
Fire Extinguisher
Mud Flaps
Trunk Floor covering (got one dealer installed)
Interior light in footwell
Cruise control warning system (6Y0)
CD changer/CD player (mine came with a 6 CD player in the dash)
Heat accumulator/auxillary heater (7E0)
Navigation device
Taxi alarm system
Preparation for 2-way radio installation
Emergency lighting/radio preparation
Identification lights (9KA)
Auxillary/parking heater
Heated washer nozzles (9T0)
Car phone preparation

K1W1
09-10-2009, 07:03 AM
I think that list just reflects that fact that vehicles have to be able to be manufactured for a world market with varying expectations and regulations.
Things like safety triangles first aid kits and extinguishers are mandatory in some European countries. The front child seat anchor would be no use in Victoria because to use it will be illegal after November likewise heated washer jets really have no practical purpose in the overall Australian market.

Back on the subject of tyres if anybody wants a specific tyre on their car it's a simple process to get them fitted by the dealer prior to delivery. All decent dealers have arrangements with a local tyre specialist whereby they can trade in the brand new OEM tyres for a set of whatever the customer wants. You won't get your dream tyres for free but you will get what you want at a good price. Dealers will also swap wheels between vehicles but generally whole shipments of vehicles come with the same tyre so this batch may be Michelin, the batch in two months might be all Pirelli, the next Dunlop and so on so what you usually need is some unsold cars lying around to be able to get different tyres and that is not always a good thing (unsold cars that is).

TuNeS
11-10-2009, 08:04 PM
As promised, I detailed my car today and posted photos in the following thread

http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/newforum/upload/showthread.php?t=35850