PDA

View Full Version : 8 Valve Engine Build

Roscoe
08-09-2005, 05:21 PM
I have just returned from the UK with a load of bits to build a new motor and an exhaust system from TSR. I am rebuilding my spare 1800 GTi motor and was wondering if there was a "how to modify" book about this motor. I have built engines in the past but not one of these.

h100vw
09-09-2005, 06:29 AM
What are you looking for Roscoe, a book on porting and stuff or something to tell you how to put it all together?

If it's the latter then just use a haynes.

Gavin

aprr32
09-09-2005, 09:40 PM
The Front Wheel Drive Performance Handbook by Greg Raven is the bible for golf owners.

Roscoe
12-09-2005, 05:16 PM
I was looking for something specific to these engines, there are books available for things like Chev V8s and Minis (Dave Vizard), something similar would be good if available. I have a Haynes manual but it would be useful to have more information than that. I am building it up with a Piper 285 cam and a supercharger from a Toyota 1ZZZ engine.

Golf Loon
13-09-2005, 06:06 PM
Get the clearances right for the cam, or take it to a good head shop. Thats all that needs.

The supercharger, I reckon you are on your own, or try a totota book.

All the How to books I have seen for golfs have been cr*p

bitza
16-09-2005, 11:19 PM
The answer to this question is big, and not knowing what you have bought and the targets your aiming for I don't thnk may of us can help. ie how long is a piece of string.

As mentioned above it will boil down to your attention to detail, blueprint every, thing that includes match porting every thing, port the head and get airflow through the engine to the max, hopefully you bought forged pistons to cope with the thermal stress of supercharging or RPMs. there is no one book on this for any car short of racing tech books.

If you want to bounce questions off someone drop me a line, off line.

Just remember everything has its limits understand the toy your playing with and you can take it to the limit and actually bring it back intact.

Ryan
14-02-2006, 09:15 AM
Where's the best place to get this book if it's the bible?
Or something like it for a 1990 Cabrio 1.8lt?

RedMk2Gti
20-02-2006, 01:09 PM

This is the best price :-
http://www.fishpond.com.au/Books/Nonfiction/Transport/Automotive/Customizing/product_info.php?products_id=1031446

roccodingo
20-02-2006, 08:41 PM

This book is just an information source for modding the car, not really a step by step engine build up, you really need a good manual for that in conjunction with other reference books like this particular book..

I personally use a bentley manual for my cars, factory sanctioned even though it is for US models..

http://www.robertbentley.com/

well worth the cost if your serious about tinkering with your vehicle.. :wink: