PDA

View Full Version : A week in the Tig

clip
17-04-2009, 06:33 PM
Back home after covering 3000k's in the Tig over the last week. No problems with car at all. Really comfortable on a trip, eats up the k's, and even after back-to-back full day drives, still arrive feeling fine, which I'm really pleased with because that's why I bought it and not a Golf (not really, I still wouldn't have bought a 2WD Golf).

Also got fantastic fuel consumption IMO (averaged 7.7l/100k's on the way home from Coffs!), which I find incredible given the weight of the Tig. Worst I got was 10.8 which was a day's driving which included a run up through the ranges :biggrin:. I was expecting a lot worse.

Any way I look at it though, to get that sort of economy from a 1700kg turbo petrol engined AWD vehicle, is pretty bloody good IMO.

Of course that's forgetting about the performance of it too, which for some of you considering the petrol Tigs might be interested in also. The APR map suits me well. It has great gobs of fat torque down low (sorry TDI's, but this thing is crazy), with the power coming on strong and staying pretty much through the rev range. It flattens the steepest hills and acceleration is also pretty awesome. I won't go into figures, but suffice to say that it is much more than adequate, with roll-on acceleration leaving most everything else on the road in your way, and as far as I'm concerned, makes it much safer. But I need warnings (like my partner punching me in the arm!) because it builds speed deceptively fast, and I'm not used to that bloody VW speedo head that changes calibration after 80k/h and catches me every time. But at the end of the day, it still needs to be kept in perspective because it's still only 2L 4 cylinder turbo - even if it is producing around 190kW and 410Nm.

Where it really shines for me, though, is it's responsiveness which is now right up there. It just never feels like a heavy car, even just the slightest input is transferred straight to the wheels and this really adds to the fun when driving through a good set of twisties. And now with the added power on tap, it really transforms how the car behaves, especially on the run out (although slightly sharper steering and a little flatter will be good when I get that sorted). :) It's a credit to the basic design though.

All up, very happy so far.

Pullstarter
17-04-2009, 07:21 PM
Nice write up John, I think chippage is a must :biggrin: Mine will be here on the 8th May apparently (in port anyway) and I'm really glad you're happy with the Tig as it sounds like we expect similar things from our cars :)

clip
17-04-2009, 07:36 PM
No worries mate. I really can't think why anyone could be disappointed with one - or with the reamap for that matter (that's got to be the best "dollar for gain" performance upgrade out there).

On the count down too, it'll be here before you know it! yahoo!

Pullstarter
17-04-2009, 11:46 PM
I'm interested to see a few tigs with 18" or 19" rims on the lowered springs. 20"s look so right but I don't want that damn hard ride, just not sure if 18s or 19s will look big enough?

Sharkie
18-04-2009, 05:33 AM
I've got my 18" RS4's sitting in the garage here now waiting and the H&R Springs are 3 weeks out.

Unfortunately the car itself is 15 weeks out, so its quite a wait before I'll have pics of it all ....:frown:

Also, have had a good look at the Neuspeed P-Flo kit and reckon we can do that ourselves for less than $150. I've got the heatshield material and pod filters and a stainless 90deg bend is only $40. If you guys are prepared to wait I reckon I'll do a prototype on mine and can make a few more then if required. That would be an easy 3-5kw extra.

Tigga1
18-04-2009, 06:30 AM
Also, have had a good look at the Neuspeed P-Flo kit and reckon we can do that ourselves for less than $150. I've got the heatshield material and pod filters and a stainless 90deg bend is only $40. If you guys are prepared to wait I reckon I'll do a prototype on mine and can make a few more then if required. That would be an easy 3-5kw extra.

count me in:)

Pullstarter
18-04-2009, 09:24 AM
Sounds good Sharkie, count me in pending piccies :)

Did you get your wheels off ebay? I've seen a few sets floating around on there in shadow chrome, chrome and hyper silver.

DJY
22-04-2009, 09:30 AM
Does the remap / chipping void warranty?

I'm currently considering both the 125 and 147 (most likely auto).

Are there any other major issues to be aware of if this "procedure" is done?

Sharkie
22-04-2009, 09:51 AM
Does the remap / chipping void warranty?

I'm currently considering both the 125 and 147 (most likely auto).

Are there any other major issues to be aware of if this "procedure" is done?

Officially it does void the warranty. Most dealers however turn a blind eye to it and many actually steer you towards the dealers that offer the tuning.

APR's chip is undetectable to VW's diagnostics and since it is switchable can be set back to stock for a service.

No other issues to be aware of. It completely transfors the car. I had it done on my GTI when it was 3 days old and drove it for 3 years (till I sold it) with no problems whatsoever. And I wasn't easy on it either.

Sharkie
22-04-2009, 09:54 AM
Did you get your wheels off ebay? I've seen a few sets floating around on there in shadow chrome, chrome and hyper silver.

Yes off ebay for a good price.:) And it looks really good, no way to tell its not original Audi RS4 wheels.

Pullstarter
22-04-2009, 10:28 AM
They're certainly a good price. What size/type of tyres will you use on them?

dogbowl
25-04-2009, 11:43 AM
Officially it does void the warranty. Most dealers however turn a blind eye to it and many actually steer you towards the dealers that offer the tuning.

APR's chip is undetectable to VW's diagnostics and since it is switchable can be set back to stock for a service.

No other issues to be aware of. It completely transfors the car. I had it done on my GTI when it was 3 days old and drove it for 3 years (till I sold it) with no problems whatsoever. And I wasn't easy on it either.Hi Sharkie, what does this cost, approximately? Also, do you mean that there are VW dealers that offer the tuning, or do the VW dealers steer you to APR dealers?

Pullstarter
25-04-2009, 11:56 AM
APR petrol chipping for the Tig will be around 2k, not sure on the diesel and should be available in about 1 month. As far as I'm aware none of the VW dealers actually do it themselves.

DJY
25-04-2009, 12:04 PM
APR petrol chipping for the Tig will be around 2k, not sure on the diesel and should be available in about 1 month. As far as I'm aware none of the VW dealers actually do it themselves.

you going to chip yours when it arrives Pullstarter?
Gerald Slaven I gather are only a block away from the Canberra Volkswagen Centre - which looks like the local place?

Edit - just found a post of yours in another thread...
sounds like you have been using the Tuggers Canberra Volkswagen Centre already and will be taking your new Tig there for a visit.

Pullstarter
25-04-2009, 12:16 PM
Probably put 1000k's or so on the Tig first and then oil change and chip. I'll still have to go to CVWC at Belco for the chip, Mike at Tuggers doesn't have the necessary equipment unfortunately. Mike will be doing all my other work though. Big props to the guys at CVWC btw, they do great work and really look after you :)

DJY
25-04-2009, 12:22 PM
Even one of the VW salesman at the dealer uses CVWC Belco for all the servicing and work on his Golf GTI it turns out!

Pullstarter
25-04-2009, 12:32 PM
Yeah it wouldn't surprise me, cheaper and better than the dealers IMO. Plus the added bonus that Mike at Tuggers is only about 100m from my work, drop off on the way to work and pick up on the way home :)

Sharkie
26-04-2009, 06:31 AM
Hi Sharkie, what does this cost, approximately? Also, do you mean that there are VW dealers that offer the tuning, or do the VW dealers steer you to APR dealers?

Cost will be around $2K I imagine, similar to MK5 GTI prices.

All the VW dealers know the APR dealers and will steer you towards them if you ask. Some VW dealers will even include the chip in the sale for you :eek: That way you can finance it or lease it with the chip included.

I'm going to chip immediatly after the 1000km service ...... I imagine I'd drive that 1000km in about a week purely to get it over with so I can do the chip.