PDA

View Full Version : paint...

deemoE36
08-12-2006, 07:35 PM
dont u hate when u find new scratch or anything like it on ur beloved vw

due to the latest water restrictions i havent been washing my car as often, when i washed it the other day i found some s*** stuck on my paint, just behind the front wheel, place where stuff coming of the wheel hits the paint
when i washed it off, this is what i was left with
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e165/bijeli_gavran/rocetcover005.jpg
i dont know what it was, but it changed the color where it was stuck
thats not all it just didnt fit in a pic frame :(

william
08-12-2006, 07:49 PM
get some prepsol on a rag that will get it off if that doesnt work try and buff it out but make sure the area u are buffing doesnt get to hot

KI11Z
08-12-2006, 11:45 PM
Jeez! I'd love to be able to help but all I could say is trusty ol' cut n polish? seems to have worked for me over the years :? . . .

rayray086
09-12-2006, 03:45 AM
If all else fails I guess you could give it a paint touch-up. May be a more expensive option.

Found some info on factory paint codes (http://bluefox280.tripod.com/id24.html). Don't know if the paint used in American Golfs were the same as the European/Aussie ones.

WEDEL.1
09-12-2006, 09:21 AM
That's why I put mudflaps on my Mk III, as un-cool as it may look.

See my thread a little further down.

Maris

deemoE36
09-12-2006, 09:39 AM
thanx for fast response,
if i buff it out, do i do it by hand or the electric powered for more speed
and what sort of attachment/wax should i use

havent been working on paint before :P

william
09-12-2006, 10:01 AM
by hand first then with buffer but dont keep in one place to long

midget
09-12-2006, 10:19 AM
is it stuck on your paint?

I would try to get it off with a clay bar

you can get a meguiars clay bar from supercheap, wolfies etc

it comes in a pack with quick detailing spray which is like a lube.
spray very liberally over the area, get the clay bar (which is like play doh) and roll it into a ball, this will heat up the bar and make it more malleable, then rub it over the spots in a circular motion.

this will strip previous wax off your paint. but is the best method for giving your paint a deep clean and can also be used for tar spots grime etc

also if your clay bar is picking up this grime you sould fold it to expose a clean area each time you use it. But the main thing is you need plenty of lube spray

I'd reccomend claying the entire car every 6 months, then following that a good polish and then a couple of coats of wax and your paint will be silky smooth

GoLfMan
09-12-2006, 10:31 AM
cut and polish works a treat with stuff like that mate :) ALWAYS do it by hand, keep away from the buffer until the final once over!

midget
09-12-2006, 11:50 AM
from autopia car care

this explains it better than what i can

http://autopia-carcare.com/inf-clay.html

deemoE36
10-12-2006, 07:50 PM
thanks for all ya tips fellas, was helpfull
i got some cut n polish paste and it worked so well on thos spots that i decidet to do the rest of the car and it worked really good, used good long polish afterwoods
the car is improved amazingly well, im so surprised, cant believe i never used it before
anyway, cheers and thanks again ;)