PDA

View Full Version : New Golf VI probelm

wvg
16-04-2009, 04:44 PM
I need you guys advise.

I've got new golf 6 comfortline 3 weeks ago and very very happy with it.
However, there is a problem which I can't reproduce it again but it happens odd times so far 6-7 times. I am a software developer, sometime there is a bug but can't reproduce with same step. This is one of these kinds.

OK, here is the problem. When I change the gear to reverse or drive from revese position, and off the break pedal to accelate but car moved opposite direction(about 1-3 secs, if reverse position then goes forward, if drive position it goes backward). Initially, I thought it's because I was on the hill or sliding road but sometimes it happens on the flat road. Recently this morning when I wait to join the main road(drive postion and break), off the break petal then it goes backword.

I'm a dumb in mechnical things so please give some advise before I contact to my delear.

phaeton
16-04-2009, 06:34 PM
Contact your dealer, its covered under warranty ;)

Russ59
16-04-2009, 06:35 PM
I need you guys advise.

However, there is a problem which I can't reproduce it again but it happens odd times so far 6-7 times. I am a software developer, sometime there is a bug but can't reproduce with same step. This is one of these kinds.

OK, here is the problem. When I change the gear to reverse or drive from revese position, and off the break pedal to accelate but car moved opposite direction(if reverse position then goes forward, if drive position it goes backward). Initially, I thought it's because I was on the hill or sliding road but sometimes it happens on the flat road. Recently this morning when I wait to join the main road(drive postion and break), off the break petal then it goes backword.

I'm a dumb in mechnical things so please give some advise before I contact to my delear.

The only advice I could possibly give you mate is to take it to the dealer and tell them you don't want it back until it's fixed. It might only do it on the odd occasion but what if you're driving at 100 kmh and all of a sudden it decides to select reverse :brutal: :eek: Sounds like a death trap to me and I would personally avoid driving it until the issue is fixed. :frown:

twotribez
16-04-2009, 11:18 PM
Is this the 118tsi? Dsg or manual. I think I read about this issue in vwaudiforum.co.uk

Russ59
17-04-2009, 01:52 AM
Is this the 118tsi? Dsg or manual. I think I read about this issue in vwaudiforum.co.uk
It's a DSG, manuals don't have a D for drive position :)

gregozedobe
17-04-2009, 07:12 PM
Are you sure the road is actually level when this happens ? Not a stupid question - sometimes a road can appear to level out, but still actually be sloped.

The way to check would be to put it in neutral and release the brakes - if it is level then the car won't move at all.

I'm not saying there isn't a fault with the gearbox, just that it might be one of excessive delay in delivering power to the wheels (after you have pressed the accelerator pedal) rather than going the opposite direction to what you intended.

IIRC there have been a few threads on this forum (maybe in the Mk V area ?) where this delay has been discussed.

Another possibility is a problem in the selector mechanism so the gear selector isn't actually engaging the correct gear, despite you moving the lever appropriately.

As you would know from programming, the more specific information you can give to the problem solver the better chance they have of correctly diagnosing and fixing the problem quickly and efficiently, especially if your car isn't recording any error codes. I'd be taking it in to your dealer to see if it does have any error codes stored anyway.

dylan8
17-04-2009, 09:29 PM
Dont know much about it, but was talking to my old man as hes looking at getting a VW, i mentioned this problem/issue to him, he said he read something about it in todays hearld sun (im guessing in the auto section) hope that helps

wvg
20-04-2009, 01:29 PM
Are you sure the road is actually level when this happens ? Not a stupid question - sometimes a road can appear to level out, but still actually be sloped.

The way to check would be to put it in neutral and release the brakes - if it is level then the car won't move at all.

I'm not saying there isn't a fault with the gearbox, just that it might be one of excessive delay in delivering power to the wheels (after you have pressed the accelerator pedal) rather than going the opposite direction to what you intended.

IIRC there have been a few threads on this forum (maybe in the Mk V area ?) where this delay has been discussed.

Another possibility is a problem in the selector mechanism so the gear selector isn't actually engaging the correct gear, despite you moving the lever appropriately.

As you would know from programming, the more specific information you can give to the problem solver the better chance they have of correctly diagnosing and fixing the problem quickly and efficiently, especially if your car isn't recording any error codes. I'd be taking it in to your dealer to see if it does have any error codes stored anyway.

Thanks Guys for your responding.
I think I didn't describe well enough, should say that the oppsite direction movement is about 1-3 secs last.

And I thought the same thing, like incorrect engaging or slope. But the car has Hill Side Assistant function which if I memory correct, shouldn't go backward about 1.5 secs if the car on the hill/slope with drive gear position.

Anyway, I'll book an inspection this week so if I have any information I will udpate the result.

Regards,
Peter

Russ59
20-04-2009, 02:34 PM
Thanks Guys for your responding.
I think I didn't describe well enough, should say that the oppsite direction movement is about 1-3 secs last.

And I thought the same thing, like incorrect engaging or slope. But the car has Hill Side Assistant function which if I memory correct, shouldn't go backward about 1.5 secs if the car on the hill/slope with drive gear position.

Anyway, I'll book an inspection this week so if I have any information I will udpate the result.

Regards,
Peter

Pleased you clarified that for us, the first post made it sound as though it went backwards in D (drive) and forward in R (reverse) I have a manual so I can't really comment on the problem. I did own a Subaru Forester (manual) which was fitted with the hill holder feature (hillside assistant function you describe) and it would disengage as soon as you released the clutch going forward up a hill and would only roll back slightly if you were a bit slow on the take off, however in reverse it actually slowed the car down if you were reversing and then pressed the clutch in again. It was a bit of a pain at times. Is this your first car with automatic transmission, because if it is maybe you're just not familiar with the way they work compared to a manual. :???:

wvg
21-04-2009, 10:35 AM
Dont know much about it, but was talking to my old man as hes looking at getting a VW, i mentioned this problem/issue to him, he said he read something about it in todays hearld sun (im guessing in the auto section) hope that helps

Thank dylan 8,
I read again last week HUN car section and found it from Used car section which actually about Jetta but DSG is relevant here too. Here is the description.

"It is also worth noting that the DSG is not a traditional automatic; it is a manual gearbox with an automated shift, so some people are surprised when it rolls back on hills like a manual instead of staying put as an auto would."
--HUN,28th April page 28

I'm not sure this is what my problem is. Because Golf VI has Hill Assistant System which should prevent that problem???

VW Convert
21-04-2009, 10:45 AM
I'm not sure this is what my problem is. Because Golf VI has Hill Assistant System which should prevent that problem???

I'm sure your dealer can asssist either by giving instruction as to how "Hill Assistant" works or by investigating and rectifying if it is not operating correctly.

Cheers

George

wvg
21-04-2009, 10:57 AM
Pleased you clarified that for us, the first post made it sound as though it went backwards in D (drive) and forward in R (reverse) I have a manual so I can't really comment on the problem. I did own a Subaru Forester (manual) which was fitted with the hill holder feature (hillside assistant function you describe) and it would disengage as soon as you released the clutch going forward up a hill and would only roll back slightly if you were a bit slow on the take off, however in reverse it actually slowed the car down if you were reversing and then pressed the clutch in again. It was a bit of a pain at times. Is this your first car with automatic transmission, because if it is maybe you're just not familiar with the way they work compared to a manual. :???:

Thanks Russ59,

I'm not sure where DSG is belongs, it is automatic for me but technical terms it is a manual. Please look at the above my post.

And my problem happens not just change the gear but sometimes it happens after the engin starts then waits to enter main road that means hasn't changed gear (stay put D postion).

Anyway, tomorrow I book a service. I'll keep post it.

Corey_R
21-04-2009, 03:43 PM
That is just a generalisation about Automatics not rolling backwards on hills. At work a few years ago, several friends had Commodore V6 and V8 company cars. They all rolled backwards on the hill outside our office, even though they were auto.

In relation to the Volkswagen "Hill Start Assist" - when functioning correctly it will only hold the car for 1.5 seconds. Still, that's a decent amount of time, even with the DSG "delay" that you speak of.

wvg
22-04-2009, 03:57 PM
Here is the what VW service man said after the inspection of my new car(my wife went instead).

This behaviour is what exactly described in the Herald Sun on last week.
In order to avoid, drive with two legs like manual then quickly press acc. or use engin break. And also the rolling can be last only 50cm or similar.

So I just decide ignore this problem. What can I do more?

Thanks guys your help.
Peter

Russ59
23-04-2009, 09:40 AM
Here is the what VW service man said after the inspection of my new car(my wife went instead).

This behaviour is what exactly described in the Herald Sun on last week.
In order to avoid, drive with two legs like manual then quickly press acc. or use engin break. And also the rolling can be last only 50cm or similar.

So I just decide ignore this problem. What can I do more?

Thanks guys your help.
Peter

At least you know the car is OK and with a little bit of a change in your driving style you should be able to overcome the issue. If that's the worst problem you have with the car Peter, that would be great and hopefully you will get many years of happy reliable motoring from the car. Sit back, relax and enjoy :driver: :)
Cheers

STV4SYT
23-04-2009, 10:32 AM

What the???

thats pretty bad advice IMO. they want you to use your left foot on the brake and treat it like it is a manual??? that is asking for trouble espescially with the effectiveness of the brakes on these things.

I treat mine like a manual on hills, though i dont use my left foot on brake, but instead i use handbrake like with a manual hill start until the DSG bites, then let off the brake (with my right foot) and gently apply the throttle.

I have found after over a year that i have not had any problems with this method...

Russ59
23-04-2009, 12:08 PM
What the???

thats pretty bad advice IMO. they want you to use your left foot on the brake and treat it like it is a manual??? that is asking for trouble espescially with the effectiveness of the brakes on these things.

I treat mine like a manual on hills, though i dont use my left foot on brake, but instead i use handbrake like with a manual hill start until the DSG bites, then let off the brake (with my right foot) and gently apply the throttle.

I have found after over a year that i have not had any problems with this method...

I didn't say anything about the driving method and I agree that's not the way I would do it either if I owned an auto, but as I don't drive auto's I can't comment on what is or isn't acceptable :) Much the same as it pi$$es me off when people sit and ride the clutch in a manual when stopped in traffic instead of using the brake pedal or pulling on the hand brake :duh:

Guest212
23-04-2009, 12:36 PM
Bah!

Left foot braking with the DSG instead of using the handbrake is quite OK.

All hill start assist does is hold the brakes for you using the ABS/ESP system.

Yes the brake pedal is sensitive but you get used to it.

briseos
24-04-2009, 09:33 AM
Having owned 2 DSGs now - both diesels - this 'problem' exists only in the minds of those who cannot understand that their gearbox is indeed a 'manual' but with two little german men in there operating the clutch for you. Consequently, if you give them mixed messages, they will get confused. This means that if you are indecisive as to whether you want to go or not, the gearbox will hesitate. When you take off on the flat, on a hill or in reverse, just take your foot off the brake, gently press the accellerator to tell the gearbox to take up the clutch, then proceed as if you had just put a manual in gear and let the clutch off....... you can 'ride' the clutch very easily without needing 'hill hold' by just gently modulating your use of the accellerator....

Incidentally, if it is a diesel, you do not even need to use the accelerator as the torque is so strong that the car will roll up a quite steep hill at idle - so just trust that it will roll only a few inches then get the message you are moving off and will engage the clutch and you can drive away. No magic, no need for braking - unless you want to drag someone off at the lights - the delight of the diesel combo with DSG - 0-60km/h in under 3 seconds!!

mr gee
13-06-2009, 08:07 PM
I need you guys advise.

OK, here is the problem. When I change the gear to reverse or drive from revese position, and off the break pedal to accelate but car moved opposite direction(about 1-3 secs, if reverse position then goes forward, if drive position it goes backward). Initially, I thought it's because I was on the hill or sliding road but sometimes it happens on the flat road. Recently this morning when I wait to join the main road(drive postion and break), off the break petal then it goes backword.

I got a similar situation on mine as well (7 spd DSG)

When select "R" from "P", car goes fwd (twice)
When select "D: from "P", car does not move.(once)
I had my dealer lok at it and they could not find a fault recorded and also test drive did could not replicate. Their advice was to allow the DSG a few seconds to respond to selection before driving.

Not the answer I expected but will continue to monitor

cktsi
12-07-2009, 11:49 PM
I've had my Golf Mark 6 118 tsi DSG for a month now. I have not experienced this problem.

It sounds like a problem with the DSG gearbox itself than the hill start assist.

gogil1
17-07-2009, 05:06 PM
I have a new series 6 TDi DSG. In cairns (FNQ) there are 2 such vehicles (mine and a demo at the dealer) that do this - reverse out of garage in morning (i.e cool - doesn't get cold here) back on to a backward slope on driveway. Stop, select D (drive) and car stalls! I have suggeted to dealer (and they agree) that there maybe a problem with hill-assist. It feels like the car is trying to pull away with the handbrake still on. The dealer is talking to VW in Germany. I reckon this may all be related.

G

blutopless2
17-07-2009, 05:26 PM
not sure if the golfs are the same... but my jetta you cant left foot brake and accelerate at the same time.
when you apply the brake it will not respond to the accelerator pedal. (i assume because you are confusing the gearbox software as it doesn't know if you are going or stopping.)
to avoid the slight roll back on a really steep hill i use the method that stevetdi uses with the handbrake... you can feel the car wanting to go forward then release the handbrake and off you go.
on slight inclines it will only roll back a small amount. (freaked me out too when i first drove mine up a hill in the city)

pologti18t
20-07-2009, 11:34 AM
remember people... the 7 speed DSG (petrol TSI engines) is different to the 6 speed DSG used in the diesel cars.

Maverick
21-07-2009, 10:40 AM
I have a new series 6 TDi DSG. In cairns (FNQ) there are 2 such vehicles (mine and a demo at the dealer) that do this - reverse out of garage in morning (i.e cool - doesn't get cold here) back on to a backward slope on driveway. Stop, select D (drive) and car stalls! I have suggeted to dealer (and they agree) that there maybe a problem with hill-assist. It feels like the car is trying to pull away with the handbrake still on. The dealer is talking to VW in Germany. I reckon this may all be related.

G

Do you have your foot firmly on the brake when going from R to D or are you using the handbrake?

Maverick
21-07-2009, 10:40 AM
remember people... the 7 speed DSG (petrol TSI engines) is different to the 6 speed DSG used in the diesel cars.

How? They both operate the same way!

pologti18t
21-07-2009, 12:56 PM
How? They both operate the same way!

1.4 TSi gets a 7 speed unit with dry clutches
TDI and GTI get a 6 speed unit with wet clutches

Same same but different.

Maverick
21-07-2009, 01:05 PM
1.4 TSi gets a 7 speed unit with dry clutches
TDI and GTI get a 6 speed unit with wet clutches

Same same but different.

They still operate the same way, as far as the driver is concerned there is no difference.

RECRUT
05-08-2009, 12:03 PM
Have your vehicle looked at by a dealer. Hill start assist holds for 1.5 seconds, and it doesnt sound like that.