PDA

View Full Version : Recommended Car Salesman to buy MK6 in WA?

drotsap
16-04-2009, 11:06 AM
Hi,

I'm helping my cousin to buy Golf 118TSI Comfortline 7 Speed DSG RRP $32,990. Can any of you recommend a good sales person whom you have good experiene with that can give a good price? Thanks

PS. Do you think bargaining to have the car for $32,990 drive away unreasonable? Ta.

coastie
16-04-2009, 12:07 PM
It's a good place to start however when we looked for ours most of the ones on the East Coast had several options on the vehicle and the dealer wouldn't reduce RRP costs on those items. They didn't have any base model comfortline packages available.

We did make inroads on base vehicle price and dealer delivery etc to about $4K less however we did get most of the options so the vehicle was in the high $40's end price. So most seem to be able to do 10% if you get better great. Cars are flying out though so most dealers won't bargain much with the Govt ABN incentives of 30% in first year.

gareth_oau
16-04-2009, 01:16 PM
dealers often negotiate on/discount the base price, and then try charge you rrp on the options, this is where they make their additional money.

Assuming the car is available form different dealers, work out what options you want, then ask for tenders to be submitted, showing individual price for all options.

Once you ve got the tenders in, choose the dealer witht he best base price, then pick the best option prices from all of the dealers, and confront your preferred one, stating "you can get this option from elsewhere for less, and can s/he better that"

Hopefully the market is in a place where you are the god.

also, its worthwhile getting so Eastern States dealers involved - will be around $1k to have it shipped to Perth afterwards.

about 4 years ago I bought a new car (the only one left) in Perth , and dealer wouldnt budge off rrp of $55k, so I got a quote from SA for $49k, and the local dealer matched it in an instant

Ozram
16-04-2009, 07:17 PM
Hi,

My first post on these forums. I have a Caddy that I have been driving with my work for the last 3 years and that has convinced me to go for a new golf for the missus.

I am looking at a 118TSI comfortline deep black pearl
DSG
sat nav
media device
sports pack with leather option

Been quoted $42700 on road.

I'm hoping that I can convince the sales guy to get down close to 40k and throw in some mats etc.

Also, if you book a test drive in a Golf or Tiguan with Paul Wakeling at Campbelltown they will give you a $500 fuel voucher if you buy one. Here's the link...
http://www.paulwakeling.com.au/volkswagen-fuel-offer?gclid=CKaOwcj99JkCFcctpAodLxycRw

Flighter
26-11-2009, 10:47 PM
Having just bought a Mk 6 myself, I thought I'd throw in my two bits worth on this topic.

For the benefit of those who aren't familiar with VW sales in Perth, there are only 3 dealers, two of which are operated by the same parent company. As such, competition isn't exactly fierce. One dealership has a reputation for rigidly sticking to list price, and my experience was no different. I received a quote from another that was much more competitive, but that changed suddenly when I came in to do the paperwork, when they said there was no way they could afford to sell it at that price, and jacked the price up substantially. I heard all the stereotypical lines one dreads, which I found both unconvincing and annoying given how long I had been in the dealership that day. At that point I elected to walk away to think about things, and when the dealer called me a couple of days later to see whether I was going to buy the car, I told him how disappointed I was with events and that I was going to look at other brands. I was quite genuine about that last point, as I was tired of the rather elitist attitude I'd experienced with some VW salesmen. For instance, my business takes me through the country towns the only 2 other VW dealers in the state can be found, so I contacted them by email to see whether they had what I wanted. One didn't even bother to respond (business must be really good), and the other told me they couldn't possibly provide me with a rough price without first getting my full contact details.

So how did I end up with a VW after all? Last week I saw a post from Dermot Munro at Wangara VW saying he had a bunch of cars due soon (GTIs, although that's not what I was looking to buy). As I hadn't been out there yet to negotiate a purchase in earnest, I figured I'd give VW one last shot. I PM'd him and spelled out exactly what I wanted, making it clear that I was ready to buy immediately if the price was right. He responded the same day, and the price he offered was the best I'd received. Other commitments prevented me from reading his message until the next day, by which time he had already followed up with another asking whether we had a deal. I called him immediately and found out I could have the car in 2-3 weeks, so I agreed. I went by the next day and was pleased that I wasn't kept waiting (or as one Tiguan owner told me, ignored by salesmen as they drank wine one Friday afternoon), that there were no surprise price hikes, and that I was dealt with professionally and efficiently by both him and his colleagues throughout the whole process. The contrast to my experiences with other dealers was marked, and for a change I left a VW dealership feeling like they weren't doing me a favour taking my money. As such, I'm very happy to recommend that other WA buyers give Wangara VW a shot.

Flighter

MIRSAD
26-11-2009, 11:44 PM
I bought my first and second Golf (in Australia) from Osborne Park VW,
Next one - 118TSI I wanted to buy from same dealer but trade in price and unsatisfactory service was not what I was looking for.

Than I found that new dealership owned by AHG (like Osborne Park VW) was established in Wangara... went there ... manager, some sale and other staff (that I was dealing with when purchasing and servicing my 2 Golfs) was allocated from Osborne Park VW.

From Wangara VW I bought 118TSI (traded in FSI) and 3 weeks ago (because of known problems with 118TSI) I traded it in for GTI.

4 Golfs purchased from 2 different dealerships - but same people -is just showing that it is not about dealership but about people that You are dealing with.

Dermot as well as Manager Shane and Service manager Ray (during my problems with 118TSI) where really helpful.

So for me, here in WA, Wangara VW is preferred VW dealer

Shane Zieck
02-12-2009, 04:49 PM
Next one - 118TSI I wanted to buy from same dealer but trade in price and unsatisfactory service was not what I was looking for.

Than I found that new dealership owned by AHG (like Osborne Park VW) was established in Wangara... went there ... manager, some sale and other staff (that I was dealing with when purchasing and servicing my 2 Golfs) was allocated from Osborne Park VW.

From Wangara VW I bought 118TSI (traded in FSI) and 3 weeks ago (because of known problems with 118TSI) I traded it in for GTI.

4 Golfs purchased from 2 different dealerships - but same people -is just showing that it is not about dealership but about people that You are dealing with.

Dermot as well as Manager Shane and Service manager Ray (during my problems with 118TSI) where really helpful.

Thank you for your kind words Mirsad. I trust you are loving the new GTI! Quite the machine isn't it.

I am pleased to hear that you are satisfied with our New Passenger and Commercial Vehicles Sales Manager, Dermot Munro. I am sure he is elated to receive your compliment.

Keep on enjoying you new Volkswagen Mirsad...

noumenon
11-02-2010, 05:24 PM
I was in the market for a 118TSI and did a whole bunch of shopping around and after being hugely put through the wringer, eventually came across some info for Dermot Munro from Wangara VW here in WA, so I fired him off an email and went and checked out a manual Shark Blue 118TSI.

Car was great and the staff were really nice but after discussions with my partner, my (our) budget was too tight and I had to decline the first offer. Dermot asked me what my budget was and then floored me with another offer - no bull**** sales stuff or run-around or hardballing. Unfortunately there are some extenuating circumstances and I regrettably can't buy the car but I thought that if anyone was after a VW and wanted a professional and straight-up guy to deal with, can't go wrong with Dermot.

Reading this post back, I realise I'm pretty much a shill, but I was really impressed, thought I'd pass it on cos I spent a while researching this stuff.

Corey_R
11-02-2010, 05:39 PM
Last week I saw a post from Dermot Munro at Wangara VW saying he had a bunch of cars due soon (GTIs, although that's not what I was looking to buy). As I hadn't been out there yet to negotiate a purchase in earnest, I figured I'd give VW one last shot. I PM'd him and spelled out exactly what I wanted, making it clear that I was ready to buy immediately if the price was right. He responded the same day, and the price he offered was the best I'd received.

Yeah, I must say that Dermot is a very helpful guy! I'm from Sydney and only know him from the forums here, but he has been very helpful in answering my questions as well as many others at the place. :)

Flighter
11-02-2010, 05:47 PM
I went by the next day and was pleased that I wasn't kept waiting (or as one Tiguan owner told me, ignored by salesmen as they drank wine one Friday afternoon),

Flighter

Re-reading this a couple of months after posting makes me realise that this statement could be interpreted as meaning the Tiguan owner I mentioned was kept waiting at Wangara while the staff drank wine. This is not the case - it was another dealer. Furthermore I was recently treated to a more up-market loan car while a minor paint issue was sorted, which surprised me and I very much appreciated, as it made doing my usual rounds collecting kids etc. a lot of fun for a change. Thanks again Dermot.

Frankenstrat
12-02-2010, 11:26 AM
I also went to Wangara VW based on recommendations from this forum and dealt with Dermot and Kimberlee. For the benefit of our Perth readers, I wouldn't bother going elsewhere. They dealt with me in a friendly and courteous manner, there was no messing about, and I felt that the deal we got was pretty good. And I scored two cups of coffee, bonus!

When it came time to pick up the car they offered to pick me up from Whitfords railway station, how good is that? Fortunately, I got a lift up to Wangara from a work colleague so I didn't need to avail myself of their kind offer.

FJ Steve
12-02-2010, 05:29 PM
Interestingly, my lease company have put (on their website) a "Do not use" notice against the VW dealership in Vic Park, and as our .:R always comes back with new war wounds from the car park shenanigans at the Osborne Park dealership, I needed to find an alternative dealership. So..after reading of Dermot and his service at Wangara, we called in for a chat. Nothing else...just to say "G'day, heard about you, and just wanted to meet you."

Since then, Dermot, Shane and the team have been fantastic, going beyond what is reasonably expected, and providing GENUINE customer service. The .:R is being treated to a new lumbar support motor (due in soon) for the driver's seat (no fat jokes...by request). As I work away, my wife was treated to excellent service by all concerned.

So...for me....it's Wangara first. Daylight second. Sunset third. The rest don't even come into contention.

Now.....how many Polo's have you sold Dermot/Shane/team? :banana:

Daeven
12-02-2010, 06:26 PM
After some recommendations from other posters here, I recently purchased a Golf GTI from Dermot Munro at Wangara Volkswagen and had a great experience. He was genuine, courteous, and a true Golf enthusiast - and gave me the price I was looking for without any of the usual lame sales tactics.

So I would certainly recommend Dermot and the Wangara team to anyone looking for a VW in Perth.

Michael

Shane Zieck
16-02-2010, 03:49 PM
Interestingly, my lease company have put (on their website) a "Do not use" notice against the VW dealership in Vic Park, and as our .:R always comes back with new war wounds from the car park shenanigans at the Osborne Park dealership, I needed to find an alternative dealership. So..after reading of Dermot and his service at Wangara, we called in for a chat. Nothing else...just to say "G'day, heard about you, and just wanted to meet you."

Since then, Dermot, Shane and the team have been fantastic, going beyond what is reasonably expected, and providing GENUINE customer service. The .:R is being treated to a new lumbar support motor (due in soon) for the driver's seat (no fat jokes...by request). As I work away, my wife was treated to excellent service by all concerned.

So...for me....it's Wangara first. Daylight second. Sunset third. The rest don't even come into contention.

Now.....how many Polo's have you sold Dermot/Shane/team? :banana:

Hi Steve...

We are doing our best on the Polo. Some nice fresh stock GTi, Tiguan and Golf Wagon arrived into stock today though.

All the best and speak soon...

FJ Steve
16-02-2010, 04:42 PM
thanks Shane,

I better not sound too eager...or else there will be no bargaining power left eh?
:icon_surrender:

sideshow77
20-02-2010, 12:11 PM
I can recommend Jordan @ VW Osborne Park - picked up a 118TSI in August last year. Of the 3 dealerships I visited, he was the only one that was prepared to put pen to paper with a price. Vic Park and Wangara wanted me to put my offer on the table, yet when I did they would jump up and down saying I was trying to rob them but would then still refuse to counter offer.

Thankfully DVG has opened a VW dealership in Melville. That should put AHG (Osborne Park & Wangara) and John Hughes (Vic Park) on their toes. Nothing like a bit of competition to flush the deals out.

NovaArtist
21-02-2010, 01:34 AM
A few weeks ago, I organised for a test drive of a golf on a Wednesday evening at Osborne Park. I was just able to rush there after work and walked in just on time, expecting a receptionist to guide me to the correct person. No, it appears on wednesday evenings there is no-one who does that job. Nor do they have an intercom where you can say - 'here I am for my 7.30 appointment, I'm right here'. Instead you get one salesman ask one other, they both shrug, and so I end up dealing with one of those instead. Yes, heaven help you if you have forgotten the name of the person, because that is more important than the vehicle itself at Osbourne Park (there was non-one else with a 7.30 appointment). I think about 3 other people walked in during that 30 min while I was dealing with Jordon before the test drive . Got a call from the original salesman the next day wondering where I was. Given that at 7.30 they would have only been 2 new customers in the store, he certainly wasn't keeping a good eye out - that's for sure, and then gets stroppy with me that I ended up dealing with Jordon. I thought Zoran's (I think that was his name) phone call to me had a quite arrogant tone. Anyway, even though I had a number of questions of Jordan, I never heard from him again - or anyone else from Osborne Park after that 1st nights test drive. In addition, when asking for a quote from discountnewcars.com.au, apparently they go through Osborne Park - I also never heard a word. Thus, I would have difficultly recommending Osborne Park - too much internal jockying politics between their salespeople I would say. I can quite imagine that Zoran told Jordan afterwards that he shouldn't have been dealing with me, and so my whole potential sales avenue was probably torn up. I had my trade-in car evaluated and tested, which took another 20 min out of my evening while they did that, only to be told I would get a call the next day with a valuation on the trade in - but it never happened - it was as if I never walked in, in the first place. A complete waste of time.

MIRSAD
21-02-2010, 02:22 PM

Update:
New purchase from Wangara VW (Dermot & Shane) - 90 TSI (DSG & Comfort package)
for my wife and daughter
2 two minutes telephone calls... short test drive by my daughter and that is it.

Fishclip
03-05-2010, 01:01 AM
Thought I'd add to this thread with my recent Golf purchasing experience.

My previous car purchases (a Nissan 200SX and Renault Clio) went along typical lines - weeks of playing dealers off each other, being treated like a criminal for suggesting that perhaps they could accept less than RRP, and the ridiculous "ooohhhhh-let-me-speak-to-the-manager" dance that's both embarrassing and
belittling to all concerned. All in all, not a fun time.

After I made the decision to buy a Golf I wanted the purchasing experience to be civilised and professional - Hell, it's 2010 so surely this was achievable.

I found this thread and it sounded like Dermot at Wangara Volkswagen could help with my goal of a concise, rapid and painless purchase. I emailed him on Thursday evening with my shopping list and by Friday morning he had emailed me back with a quote. Two more emails were exchanged to arrange a meeting at 09:00 on Saturday. At this time I was surprised that things were going so smoothly, but also slightly concerned that this was the calm before the storm.

Saturday morning I met Dermot and we got down to the paperwork. As he didn't have a car meeting my spec on the lot he hunted around and located 1 that was arriving in the country that day, giving me a 2-3 week wait. This time frame suited me so the deal was done.

I was interested to see how the Post Sales Blonde Cleavage Girl would weave her magic but even this part of the process was painless - no hard sales talk with a side order of ridicule, which was refreshing.

I spent a lot of time researching which car I wanted, what spec I wanted, and where I should buy it from. My experience with the Golf over the next few years will dictate whether I buy another one, but I'd not waste time going anywhere else to make another VW purchase than Dermot at Wangara Volkswagen. After talking to friends and family about the contrast between their car purchasing experiences and mine they're eager to follow in my footsteps when the time comes.

So again, thanks Dermot - your time and professionalism is greatly appreciated, and I'm looking forward to taking delivery of my new Golf.

spiff
03-05-2010, 06:43 AM
I got my Jetta 118tsi from Jordan at Osb Park and - back then - Iain. Jordan was new in 2008 when I visited the dealership. In any case, both Iain and Jordan came out of their Christmas party when I decided to drop by the yard to take a look. Some minor issues along the way pre-delivery, so I also got to speak with Laurent, their sales manager (not sure if he's still there), and he was more than willing to accommodate. Post sales, Jordan has been great. He remembers you and even if I'm there for whatever reason, he'll just ask how things are. I was told that you pay a premium price for better service and so far, it hasn't let me down. I hadn't bothered shopping at Wangara, so no comparisons there (maybe next VW) :)

They do take a couple of days to reply to their emails, and sometimes I even have to send a reminder or two. But I like emails more than spending time on the phone or at the dealership, so I'm glad. Anyway, good luck with your purchase. Bargain if you must and read all the posts here about how to get the best deal/buy/service possible. For me, it wasn't all about the price - otherwise I wouldn't have bought a VW in the first place. It was a combination of everything.

Guest1306
03-05-2010, 12:39 PM
Thought I'd add to this thread with my recent Golf purchasing experience.

My previous car purchases (a Nissan 200SX and Renault Clio) went along typical lines - weeks of playing dealers off each other, being treated like a criminal for suggesting that perhaps they could accept less than RRP, and the ridiculous "ooohhhhh-let-me-speak-to-the-manager" dance that's both embarrassing and
belittling to all concerned. All in all, not a fun time.

After I made the decision to buy a Golf I wanted the purchasing experience to be civilised and professional - Hell, it's 2010 so surely this was achievable.

I found this thread and it sounded like Dermot at Wangara Volkswagen could help with my goal of a concise, rapid and painless purchase. I emailed him on Thursday evening with my shopping list and by Friday morning he had emailed me back with a quote. Two more emails were exchanged to arrange a meeting at 09:00 on Saturday. At this time I was surprised that things were going so smoothly, but also slightly concerned that this was the calm before the storm.

Saturday morning I met Dermot and we got down to the paperwork. As he didn't have a car meeting my spec on the lot he hunted around and located 1 that was arriving in the country that day, giving me a 2-3 week wait. This time frame suited me so the deal was done.

I was interested to see how the Post Sales Blonde Cleavage Girl would weave her magic but even this part of the process was painless - no hard sales talk with a side order of ridicule, which was refreshing.

I spent a lot of time researching which car I wanted, what spec I wanted, and where I should buy it from. My experience with the Golf over the next few years will dictate whether I buy another one, but I'd not waste time going anywhere else to make another VW purchase than Dermot at Wangara Volkswagen. After talking to friends and family about the contrast between their car purchasing experiences and mine they're eager to follow in my footsteps when the time comes.

So again, thanks Dermot - your time and professionalism is greatly appreciated, and I'm looking forward to taking delivery of my new Golf.

Thank you very much, it is good to have another happy customer.

gareth_oau
05-05-2010, 06:38 PM
One of my colleagues was recenlty looking to purchase a Golf, and so I offered to assist in his search.

He gave me his best quote, and i'm pleased to advise that Dermot at Wangara VW came up with a very attractive quote and helped to seal a great deal (and steal one away from his competitors!!) (and he did this without seeing the other quotes - so full kudos to Dermot)

cheers Dermot!

emuexport
05-05-2010, 07:47 PM
Wish I had found this thread before buying at Ossie Park. Maybe next time I'll come up to Wangara to see Dermot. Sounds like Dermot at least replies to calls and e-mails. :(

snodrogs
20-05-2010, 12:05 AM
Sounds like Dermott and the team at Wangara are shaking the "Perth VW tree". Great stuff.

It has been two years now since I purchased my Passat (so before Wangara opened), but my dealings with Richard and Jamie at John Hughes were fantastic - sourcing a vehicle for me from interstate and pretty sharp with the prices. I was very happy. And still am. :cool:

And since then, I have not been able to fault John Hughes VW Service in Vic Park. Nick and the service team have been absolutely sensational.

There's enough of us VW devotees in Perth to be shared around... providing the service providers (continue to) earn our loyalty.

Oh, and they will be servicing my wife's new 2010 Comfortline 118TSi as well.

FJ Steve
29-05-2010, 02:39 PM
Does anyone have any feedback on the VW dealership at Melville? How are they with servicing etc?

phantomcamel
29-05-2010, 03:06 PM
...with Laurent, their sales manager (not sure if he's still there), and he was more than willing to accommodate. (maybe next VW) :)

. He works next door @ Subaru now!

barges
29-05-2010, 03:29 PM
i bought my golf through albany world of cars, dealing with robyn and dale. was a total change from the usual dealership games. got a great price without too much pushing and enjoyed the whole experience.

highly recommend them. might even be worth the drive from perth!

Paul_OH
30-05-2010, 09:57 PM
Does anyone have any feedback on the VW dealership at Melville? How are they with servicing etc?

I've only heard good things Steve, from what I understand it may be worth going out of your way. PM sent

Frankenstrat
11-06-2010, 01:22 PM

Yesterday (10/06/2010) I used the Contact link on their web page to ask about servicing my Golf which is due for its 7500km first service. It would suit me to take my Golf there since it's on the way to work, which Wangarra unfortunately isn't. I asked VW Melville if I could have use of a courtesy car for the day, too. So far no response.